Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

aherdofpenguins posted:

I have two Chizurus and Mercedes actually, but I was mostly looking at Bartz for his battery potential. I almost have dual cast, so I feel like DC Refia and Bartz can basically keep a team alive forever. Would it be worth slotting in a Chizuru or Mercedes instead of Bartz and maybe Snow?

"Forever" is an incredibly generous estimate, especially since Bartz's own sacrifice costs MP of his own, if memory serves, and he can never fill himself up like that. In the meantime in that hypothetical forever, you'd be doing damage almost entirely from WoL's Full Break and Snow's counters.

Chizuru, on the other hand, is a fair bit squishier but can actually hurt things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to killing the plant. Took Dana's Noctis because it still had plant killer on it, well that and the 770 attack. Brought my 2 Lightnings, Agrias, Cecil, and Refia. Glad I waited until I finished up the dualcast TM for Refia. Cecil would get curbstomped pretty often and was nice to raise him and throw a curaja out on the same turn. Wish I had a CoD to give the mace too, but when Butz isn't trying to gale barrage petrify people with the Golem staff he can use it.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

KDdidit posted:

Finally got around to killing the plant. Took Dana's Noctis because it still had plant killer on it, well that and the 770 attack. Brought my 2 Lightnings, Agrias, Cecil, and Refia. Glad I waited until I finished up the dualcast TM for Refia. Cecil would get curbstomped pretty often and was nice to raise him and throw a curaja out on the same turn. Wish I had a CoD to give the mace too, but when Butz isn't trying to gale barrage petrify people with the Golem staff he can use it.

You made me do a doubletake, because I knew I hadn't ever put Plant Killer on Noctis, went to go look, and remembered he was sitting on Ifrit so that's why he had it. Phew.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

"Forever" is an incredibly generous estimate, especially since Bartz's own sacrifice costs MP of his own, if memory serves, and he can never fill himself up like that. In the meantime in that hypothetical forever, you'd be doing damage almost entirely from WoL's Full Break and Snow's counters.

Chizuru, on the other hand, is a fair bit squishier but can actually hurt things.

Hmm alright, sounds like Chizuru might be worth investing in. Thanks!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Did an 11-pull:

First WoL too :dance:

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
You guys are tempting me to do another 11-pull.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So this raid event looks like garbage. From the preview it doesn't look like the personal ranking rewards are going to be anything to write home about and the best items aren't amazing either, I mean the shield and hat are pretty good but the gun and robe look skippable.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Mischalaniouse posted:

You guys are tempting me to do another 11-pull.

Don't do it, it's a trap

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Daily pull: 4* into 5* Garnet.
This is the 3rd Garnet I get in less than a week, I don't understand this at all. It sucks that FF9 characters are essentially a garbage dump for some reason. I don't foresee any possible 6* or enhancements saving them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

HGH posted:

Daily pull: 4* into 5* Garnet.
This is the 3rd Garnet I get in less than a week, I don't understand this at all. It sucks that FF9 characters are essentially a garbage dump for some reason. I don't foresee any possible 6* or enhancements saving them.

6*s can always save a character. Just look at Refia - at 5* she's an ordinary healer, but with her upgrade she gets four status immunities, Cheer 2.0, and a full health revival. They could easily find some way to bump up Garnet/Kuja/Zidane. Vivi would also be a good budget mage whenever he gets 5*, considering he unlocks Dbl Black earlier than any mage except Krile (who gets it at the same time).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I love the Enchanted Maze. I'm gonna be sad when it's gone. :smith: Went from like 5 Sacreds to 33, and got Delita to 98 AND will probably max WoL so I can finally retire Vaan.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Put all NRG into Sacred Maze while up. Top up those who will get 5 and 6 upgrades. Then wonder wtf your gil went despite the hoarding of moneyturtles.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My fourth agrias, save the queen harderer. I used to have 4 edgars to eventually do the gimmick party but agrias does it better with holy explosion.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Dias posted:

I love the Enchanted Maze. I'm gonna be sad when it's gone. :smith: Went from like 5 Sacreds to 33, and got Delita to 98 AND will probably max WoL so I can finally retire Vaan.

Farmed like a stack of Sacreds. Maxed 6* Chiz, 6* Mercedes, 5* Rain, 5* Laswell, 5* Firion and now Maxwell nearly finished. I love the maze.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
PSA on the Maze.

SAVE those STAR QUARTZ.

At some island in the future Fat Chocobo will exchange 200 of them for a Man-Eater materia which is definitely a must buy item.

Now Star Quartz have been appearing more and more in bundles and from King Mog, along with the Arena, but you'll easily find yourself with a fair bit of them after this event so make sure you keep ~150 of them so you can grab that materia as soon as it's available.

If some nice Japan player could tell us exactly when it will show up, that would help in planning your future SQ purchases.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

but i want to keep buying earrings :saddowns:

edit: i got my fourth xiao today, and i would like to farm her tm eventually i am really skeptical that i'll ever need that many. i guess theoretically if i get two dual wield tms and want to make two firions? but i wont ever get one dual wield, so again, skeptical

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Ok, I think I got my party situation 3/5 of the way figured out:

Cecil/Refia/Chizuru/?/?

Those characters are all leveled up and ready to go, who do I start working on between another Chizuru, Wol, Mercedes, Bartz, or Exdeath?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ok, the way I see it:

-max WoL as he will be your full breaker(debuffer) for now. In 2 or 3 months' time he will get a 6* upgrade making him a crazy healcounter tank as well.

-max your other Chizuru and Exdeath. Exdeath is the best mage, and though Mercedes is a good physical attacker, there is a lack of good axes outside her own TM compared to katanas for Chizuru.

-Bartz isn't as good for damage as the others, but has support abilities to full restore an ally at the cost of his own life or help fill an ally's LB. Should probably leave him for last.

So you end up with Cecil, Refia, WoL, Chizuru, Chizuru in cases of physical damage, or Cecil, Refia, WoL, Exdeath, *insert other mage here* for magic damage.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Any reason to get Cerius or Medius leveled up for this raid?

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 20, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

Any reason to get Cerius or Medius leveled up for this raid?

Im leveling Medius on the remote chance his 6* has something inherently broken the global balance dudes didn't capture. Its not like I can get my Mercedes to 6* to burn all these gigantuars on given how hard it is to get rainbow weeds from it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

HGH posted:

Ok, the way I see it:

-max WoL as he will be your full breaker(debuffer) for now. In 2 or 3 months' time he will get a 6* upgrade making him a crazy healcounter tank as well.

-max your other Chizuru and Exdeath. Exdeath is the best mage, and though Mercedes is a good physical attacker, there is a lack of good axes outside her own TM compared to katanas for Chizuru.

-Bartz isn't as good for damage as the others, but has support abilities to full restore an ally at the cost of his own life or help fill an ally's LB. Should probably leave him for last.

So you end up with Cecil, Refia, WoL, Chizuru, Chizuru in cases of physical damage, or Cecil, Refia, WoL, Exdeath, *insert other mage here* for magic damage.

I agree on the WoL but I'd take Bartz over a 2nd Chizuru. There's plenty of good swords so he'll easily have better damage that Chizuru based solely off being able to use better swords, Refia turns him into a repeat Elixir, and Bartz can also rock the arena with the Golem staff.

For Mages, you really want a full team of them because their damage comes from chains so tossing a single ExDeath into your party really isn't going to do a whole lot. Just do your homework before going into fights so you know which ones to bring the ATK party for and which ones to bring the MAG party for.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
It's me, I'm the trash that pulls a Noctis on a daily pull and got Mercedes and Chiz on an 11 pull. So that pretty much my physical attack team right? Those three with Vaan breaking and Refia healing.

Edit: or should I throw Cecil in there somewhere.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 20, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im leveling Medius on the remote chance his 6* has something inherently broken the global balance dudes didn't capture. Its not like I can get my Mercedes to 6* to burn all these gigantuars on given how hard it is to get rainbow weeds from it.

I've actually gotten a decent (not amazing) rate on Rainbow Blooms, I feel like they're the third most common 6* mat (behind Calamity Gems and Divine Crystals). Might just be personal experience though.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

HGH posted:

Ok, the way I see it:

PaybackJack posted:

I agree on the WoL but I'd take Bartz over a 2nd Chizuru. There's plenty of good swords so he'll easily have better damage that Chizuru based solely off being able to use better swords, Refia turns him into a repeat Elixir, and Bartz can also rock the arena with the Golem staff.

For Mages, you really want a full team of them because their damage comes from chains so tossing a single ExDeath into your party really isn't going to do a whole lot. Just do your homework before going into fights so you know which ones to bring the ATK party for and which ones to bring the MAG party for.

All awesome advice, thanks a lot guys!

I feel like a big benefit to having 2x Chizuru is she can chain into herself. That adds a ton of damage, doesn't it? It's like having two edgars around who actually do damage.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 20, 2016

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

quote:

It's me, I'm the trash that pulls a Noctis on a daily pull

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

aherdofpenguins posted:

I feel like a big benefit to having 2x Chizuru is she can chain into herself. That adds a ton of damage, doesn't it? It's like having two edgars around who actually do damage.

I'm bringing up a 2nd chiz exactly for this reason.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

It's me, I'm the trash that pulls a Noctis on a daily pull

Hey, fellow daily pull Noctis buddy!

So, uh, if I want a healer or a tank on my team I now have to bench a Luneth (I have two), Lightning, Gilgamesh, or Noctis. I'm... I'm gonna stop daily pulling for a while. So, someone else can have the totem I stole from Fenrir.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've actually gotten a decent (not amazing) rate on Rainbow Blooms, I feel like they're the third most common 6* mat (behind Calamity Gems and Divine Crystals). Might just be personal experience though.

The most Ive gotten are fairy writs and calamity gems followed by the other writ. Ive only gotten like 4 blooms so far.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

After getting my first Dual Wield and sakurarukafurbaki, I have some extra slots on my TM team to fill. Right now Locke/Mercedes/Zidane are on it. Chizuru is definitely going in too now, so I was wondering who out of these people would be the best?

- Maxwell (Power of Creation)
- Hayate (Black Cowl)
- one of my other Miyukis for another katana
- Agrias (Save the Queen)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Got a second WoL. Worth running two 6* in the future of him, lacking Chiz, CoD, Lightning, Luneth, Ramza, etc?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

After getting my first Dual Wield and sakurarukafurbaki, I have some extra slots on my TM team to fill. Right now Locke/Mercedes/Zidane are on it. Chizuru is definitely going in too now, so I was wondering who out of these people would be the best?

- Hayate (Black Cowl)

MrLonghair posted:

Got a second WoL. Worth running two 6* in the future of him, lacking Chiz, CoD, Lightning, Luneth, Ramza, etc?

What's your current team/who would he replace?

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

- Hayate (Black Cowl)

Maxwell, you want to put in Maxwell.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I'm just gonna list his 6 star abilities and let you decide:

-Raise (revive at 30% HP)
-Hope, passive +100% DEF after HP drops below 30%
-Warrior's Pride, passive 30% Chance Counter Magic with Self Recover 25% HP/MP
-Encourage, ability, AoE 5 Turn +45% ATK/DEF
-Brave Presence, ability, 1 Turn +100% Chance to be Targeted
-Armor Erasor, ability, AoE 3 Turn -45% DEF/SPR Debuff
-Arms Eraser, ability, AoE 3 Turn -45% ATK/MAG Debuff
-The Light is with Us, ability, 3 Turn 50% Chance to Defend Allies (Reduce +50% Phys./Mag. Damage)

Note that WoL already has Sentinel, a passive that does the same thing as The Light is with Us. So if you have 2 WoLs cast this I think you have a chance of negating 2 attacks' worth of damage?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

aherdofpenguins posted:

Shark Tower posted:

I'm bringing up a 2nd chiz exactly for this reason.

Why can't you chain off Bartz? He has barrage(and Gale Barrage) and isn't nearly as squishy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrLonghair posted:

Put all NRG into Sacred Maze while up. Top up those who will get 5 and 6 upgrades. Then wonder wtf your gil went despite the hoarding of moneyturtles.

Evolved Cerius to 5* last night and I still have 130+ sacred/holy crystals each. :getin:

Cerius should both 80 today now that BC Lid's done and then it'll be time to stockpile Cactuars for 6* Cerius since god knows I'm not going to pull a loving 5* base unit ever and BC Lid's only getting leveled as a backup unit for fights that Gumi forgets to make totally immune to status aliments and/or fix Lid's hex strike.

Maybe 6* Cerius will end up being useful. Doublecast and the ability to give 70% elemental resistance should be useful now and then, maybe. Hoping they surprise us with a Curaja and/or Raise for 6* Cerius too but she's a 3* base so that seems unlikely.

rabidsquid posted:

but i want to keep buying earrings :saddowns:

edit: i got my fourth xiao today, and i would like to farm her tm eventually i am really skeptical that i'll ever need that many. i guess theoretically if i get two dual wield tms and want to make two firions? but i wont ever get one dual wield, so again, skeptical

You'd want one claw per firion, not 2, since you'd use kaiser and something else to get two passive stats bonuses instead of just one. Though I can't imagine TMR grinding enough to make two worthwhile Firions in the first place.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

It's me, I'm the trash that pulls a Noctis on a daily pull and got Mercedes and Chiz on an 11 pull. So that pretty much my physical attack team right? Those three with Vaan breaking and Refia healing.

Edit: or should I throw Cecil in there somewhere.

Noctis can handle breaks as well unless you want a dedicated full breaker. WoL's worth leveling anyways though since his 6* is a nice tank unit.

- Hayate (Black Cowl)

If your main unit uses greatswords, StQ is good if you don't have a Cecil to farm for Excalibur. Otherwise I'd go with Power of Creation or the Black Cowl. Honestly unless your main unit is CoD I'd drop Locke for Agrias or Maxwell/Hayate.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Shark Tower posted:

What's your current team/who would he replace?

I have several groups of F2P non-TM so I just build after whatever a trial or arena week needs: Noct, WoL x2, Krile x3, Kefka x3, Arc x2, ExDeath, Cecil, Black Cat Lid, White Witch Fina, Vaan

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Why can't you chain off Bartz? He has barrage(and Gale Barrage) and isn't nearly as squishy.

You're not chaining barrage, you're chaining Chizuru's super-bladeblitz, which has odd timing and extremely fast hits. She's easiest to chain with herself.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

I'm just gonna list his 6 star abilities and let you decide:

... Well, I'm certainly convinced, at least. Gonna start leveling up my WoL.

So I think I've got a pretty decent team setup with Lightning/Exdeath/Cecil/WoL; what kind of character should I stick in that fifth slot? What am I missing?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

You're not chaining barrage, you're chaining Chizuru's super-bladeblitz, which has odd timing and extremely fast hits. She's easiest to chain with herself.

Bartz does lack CC so I can see that. I'd still look into leveling Bartz because he's pretty handy, you might find those Chizuru get wiped against bosses with strong attacks and AOEs.

DaveWoo posted:

... Well, I'm certainly convinced, at least. Gonna start leveling up my WoL.

So I think I've got a pretty decent team setup with Lightning/Exdeath/Cecil/WoL; what kind of character should I stick in that fifth slot? What am I missing?

Refia, Lenna, Tilith. A dedicated healer with a party wide ATK/DEF buff. Also swap out ExDeath for another ATK unit. I really like CoD if you have a Rising Sun for her great, otherwise the recent trial weapon for her is solid.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

If your main unit uses greatswords, StQ is good if you don't have a Cecil to farm for Excalibur. Otherwise I'd go with Power of Creation or the Black Cowl. Honestly unless your main unit is CoD I'd drop Locke for Agrias or Maxwell/Hayate.

Well, CoD WAS my main physical damage unit when I originally put Locke in. But now he is at 77%, I figure why not finish it? Plus maybe Medius will be really really good.

• Locked thread