Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tribbledirigible posted:

Doesn't matter, they [Phantoms] can still stab you with the sword stub. Use the Sword Vanguard or the Sword Infiltrator for decapitation funsies.

I'm not playing multiplayer. Just running through the single player.

That little kid bullshit starts up loving immediately when you start ME3. The first scene it's like outta an Aliens movie, but after that it's just all bullshit all the way down. loving dream sequences.

My god, though, I'm not looking forward to the Bioware Dead-Eye Stare in the new game's characters. Their mouths move, but everyone looks like a stroke victim from their nose up when they talk. Absolutely lifeless and with no expression. A chin isn't expressive you stupid Bioware Animators - lemme see some forehead and eyebrow movement. There are programs out there you can license that'll do that poo poo for you, just like the language mouth mapping ones. Hard to feel emotional abotu a lovely kid when a Scream Halloween mask is capable of more emoting.

Haha. At least they did the full facial animation with Joker, when he sees EDI in her robot body for the first time. It looks like one of those youtube poops Machinima videos or whatever. Haha. I loved his robot imitation in ME2, and this excited face in ME3 is great as well. Apparentyl Bioware animators either go fuckin' overboard, or just keep it cardboard.

And why, oh WHY would the animators model EDI's Cameltoe? Like, did they wish they could have Mirand's hairy bush peeking out of her onesie during ME2 at some point or something and golly gee they just didn't have the resources to do it?

I will say that the entire setpiece of Palavan, where your'e trying to get the Turian Ambassador off the moon and you see the burning planet in the background, and the Reapers stomping around fighting spaceships and the entire moonscape with buildings and mountains and poo poo is fuckin Majestic. I enjoyed the hell out of that. I want more of that but less on rails come ME4. Like, make poo poo interesting - like I like a good skybox as much as the next red-blooded American, but watching cool poo poo HAPPEN is a thousand times more interesting than seeing some roiling clouds for the hundredth time.

Having recently finished ME2, I have to say that it's a buggy piece of poo poo. Getting stuck in the environment - falling through the floor or slowly floating into the sky was a constant goddamn battle. ME3 seems to have fixed that issue - I guess it was the switch to Frostbite that helped. Although I still get stuck in the cockpit for some reasons. I've had to reload the game three times so far because I walked too close to Joker or something.

Oh, and the Aquarium in the captain's room seems neat in theory, but god drat it's the laziest fuckin' thing in the world, visually. It's less interesting, and somehow even more bland, than that lovely windows 95 underwater screensaver. O'dell Down Under from 3.x has more to it. But at least I can flush a loving toilet. Thanks Bioware. You've got your priorities on lock.

Mordin Solus is still one of the best characters. He's great. Funny and clever without any twee bullshit. Poor guy. Hope he's down on a beach in Solarian heaven testing seashells. Although Grunt's pretty cool, too. He's a pretty small character, but there's a lot going on there if you give it a sec.

Jaavik becomes much less interesting after you've played the DLC about the Reaper creators...I mean, he's just not very well written and is pretty shallow, but even more so when you see that there's an even older group of aliens out there. Not that those guys are any more interestingly set up.

ME4 has got to do something more interesting with their characters than having to walk over to them after every scene and hear a single line of dialog about something. You've got radios or walkie-talkies or whatever, just have them comment to each other over the air such that you can hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Drifter posted:

Having recently finished ME2, I have to say that it's a buggy piece of poo poo. Getting stuck in the environment - falling through the floor or slowly floating into the sky was a constant goddamn battle. ME3 seems to have fixed that issue - I guess it was the switch to Frostbite that helped. Although I still get stuck in the cockpit for some reasons. I've had to reload the game three times so far because I walked too close to Joker or something.

ME3 was made in Unreal 3, the same as ME2. And if you don't think it was buggy, search youtube for "vanguard bug."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Drifter posted:

And why, oh WHY would the animators model EDI's Cameltoe? Like, did they wish they could have Mirand's hairy bush peeking out of her onesie during ME2 at some point or something and golly gee they just didn't have the resources to do it?

Because lazy-rear end animators used Miranda Lawson's body model for EDI and forgot to airbrush that out.

Alternatively, they wanted shepard to gently caress EDI but it got shitcanned.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zzulu posted:

you could romance the evil darkspawn mageguy? that would have been amazing

Because jokes are funnier when you explain them Flemeth is behind that and Solas is her henchman

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Flemeth was behind the mageguy? I did not know this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solas gave the mageguy the evil mcguffin at Flemeth's command so yes.

I don't blame you for not remembering it's like in a post credits stinger or something ridiculous like that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I have no memory of that at all, shows how much i pay attention to games

I just remember Solas being some elfgod or whatever near the end of the game and he did something to Flemeth

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Solas gave the mageguy the evil mcguffin at Flemeth's command so yes.

I don't blame you for not remembering it's like in a post credits stinger or something ridiculous like that.
Nah, Flemythal told him in the stinger "you done hosed up, son" and then he maybe killed her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

Well I have no memory of that at all, shows how much i pay attention to games

I just remember Solas being some elfgod or whatever near the end of the game and he did something to Flemeth

You probably didn't play the Trespasser DLC, which is basically the true ending of Inquisition.

Anyway, Solas is the real villain and DA4 will probably be us trying to stop him from causing an apocalypse.

I really hope that Bioware don't pull anything like Trespasser again. I loved the DLC, but letting your game end halfway through the climax and selling the real ending in a DLC is super lovely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nah, Flemythal told him in the stinger "you done hosed up, son" and then he maybe killed her.

I thought that was because he hosed up her plan but I never played the DLC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Corypheus ceases to present any threat after the first act of the game, at which point the Inquisition starts kicking rear end and he never comes off as all that powerful ever again. It's like Bioware overcorrected for the powerlessness people said they felt throughout ME3 and instead made the big bad total background dressing while you conquered every zone in Thedas, collecting phat loot from dragons and destroying Corypheus in 30 seconds in the final battle.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I really hope that Bioware don't pull anything like Trespasser again. I loved the DLC, but letting your game end halfway through the climax and selling the real ending in a DLC is super lovely.

Yeah, I kinda want to buy trespasser, but I also kinda want to just not buy it on principle because it's such a lovely thing to do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inquisition had a perfectly adequate ending (in that you save the world from immediate threat and then wind down to consider the future) but a terrible final boss because Corypheus is a putz so everything feels surprisingly "soft". It then has an epilogue dlc that is so good people call it the real ending, but it is more like a small interquel. It adds a final boss who has nothing to do with anything you have done previously in the game and then you talk to a companion to set up the real sequel. It's fine as dlc. It does not excuse the main game having a weak ending, but it would not have been improved by putting what it is in trespasser in its place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I never felt as if Trespasser was the "real" ending to Inquisition, it's just that Corypheus is so badly beaten from Act One onward that his defeat comes off as a foregone conclusion. He really needed an Act Two "remember me?" incidental to gently caress some poo poo up and remind you of the threat he posed. As it stands you spend 50+ hours wiping the floor with his lieutenants and then own his noob rear end without even having to use a healing potion thanks to your overpowered dragon loot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That moment in inquisition where Cory gets disintegrated and comes back was suppose to make you feel like he was a super threat but then you snatch all his objectives away from him and gently caress off while he flails impotently after you. If they had made you fight him and he came back from that, or if you had to make a Virmire choice and leave someone behind to hold him back while you got the macguffin, then maybe he'd have seemed more dangerous.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Corypheus never seemed all that bad but he definitely stopped being threatening at all after your team plants a bug in that chamber to listen in on his plans. He was too vulnerable after that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

If you side with the mages that never happens.

Corypheus still doesn't win a fight from Haven on, so he presents no real imminent danger.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sweet geek swag posted:

If you side with the mages that never happens.

How does it play out if you side with the mages?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Lobok posted:

Corypheus never seemed all that bad but he definitely stopped being threatening at all after your team plants a bug in that chamber to listen in on his plans. He was too vulnerable after that.

that wasnt what i was listening for :shepface:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lobok posted:

Instead of the mage lady, Corypheus's main Lieutenant is an ex-templar named Samson who has super armor made of Red Lyrium. Instead of Leliana and Dagna doing spy stuff, you get Cullen and Dagna trying to figure out how to break this armor.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lobok posted:

Your secondary antagonist is Samson the drugged out super templar and you use Cullen to raid Samson's base for info.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That sounds more fun...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought that was because he hosed up her plan but I never played the DLC.
Doesn't come up in the DLC, she just tells him "you shouldn't have given Corypheus your orb." There's no mention of her having a plan. Then he possibly murders her.

At the end of Trespasser he tells you what his plan is, but doesn't say poo poo about Mythal, possibly because he possibly murdered her and nobody except you as the player, him, and a (possibly) dead Mythal know what happened at the end of the main game.

Lobok posted:

That sounds more fun...
I wish the Templar storyline had been better, and that the Venatori weren't such lovely enemies. Mages seem to fit the storyline more in an "oh gently caress" sort of way. Calpurnia is a better rival than Samson and Ser Barris is cool but beyond that they don't offer much. Also if you're running into Red Templars constantly you can get red lyrium drops to craft good runes. Venatori don't drop poo poo.

e: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mass Effect: Andromeda - Let's talk about Inquisition

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 20, 2016

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

SubponticatePoster posted:

e: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mass Effect: Andromeda - Let's talk about Inquisition

Post your inquisitor!

In this picture, Knight-Enchanter Jolie Trevalyn wonders why she married Sera.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I was a Qunari and it was a devastating blow that he sounded like a preppy American college student, but in the end it was kinda funny I guess. Like you're a pathetic dork Qunari in comparison to Iron Bull.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 was made in Unreal 3, the same as ME2. And if you don't think it was buggy, search youtube for "vanguard bug."

poo poo, you're right. DAINQ was made in Frostbite. Haha. Good catch. Thankfully, I've not experienced the Vanguard bug. THankfully it only seems to be a multiplayer thing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
ME3 multiplayer off-host had lots of weird issues, the Vanguard bug was just the most prominent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ME3 multiplayer off-host had lots of weird issues, the Vanguard bug was just the most prominent.

Tons. It was pretty great when the networking was ok but usually Vanguard was too unreliable (you'd rubber band and glitch or die) and Infiltrator sniper headshots wouldn't reliably land either. Which was a pity because the Geth Infiltrator was amazing when the network gods smiled on you.

The best class that would always work even with massive lag and everything bugging out was the humble Human Engineer. You just power spammed from cover with auto aiming stuff and sent out drones. Reliable, easy but nowhere near as fun as the cloaking & minelaying Geth sniper.
(when it worked)

Firmly cemented my hate of P2P networking for FPS action games.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Pre-ordered the ultimate edition. Let's hope it's not as craptacular as my last pre-order: Fallout 4. I still haven't played through any of the DLC on that game and I got the season pass.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Never stop preordering, brave goons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bitter fly posted:

Pre-ordered the ultimate edition. Let's hope it's not as craptacular as my last pre-order: Fallout 4. I still haven't played through any of the DLC on that game and I got the season pass.

:bravo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I preordered the collector's boxed edition of Duke Nukem Forever and still have the plastic bust of Duke himself on my shelf :dukedog:

It was the only good thing in the box. :saddowns:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bitter fly posted:

Never stop doing what you do

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

canaries in the mineshaft

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

canaries in the mineshaft

:patriot:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I preordered Mass Effect 2 and it was really good. I preordered Pillars of Eternity and it was, as Big Bo would say, sa-weet. I also preordered 'Prometheus', a Ridley Scott joint, and it was really good and came with a cool poster.

These are my stories.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My story is that I used to preorder games I really wanted, until I preordered DA2. After all, I'd only played ME2 and DAO from Bioware before. It felt as if I had waited up all night for Santa, only to be molested by David Gaider.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 21, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

marshmallow creep posted:

That moment in inquisition where Cory gets disintegrated and comes back was suppose to make you feel like he was a super threat but then you snatch all his objectives away from him and gently caress off while he flails impotently after you. If they had made you fight him and he came back from that, or if you had to make a Virmire choice and leave someone behind to hold him back while you got the macguffin, then maybe he'd have seemed more dangerous.

Another Virmire would just be too loving obvious of a choice depending on who they let you axe off. "Well, shoot, good bye Sera. Fight the good fight and all that!" Except they already had a stupidly overblown sacrifice in the dick priest from the first act suddenly trusting you now. At the end of the day they allowed the player to become stupidly powerful if they so choose to do and between forcing you to feel like nothing matters and giving the player the tools to easily chump the final boss, I'll go with the latter in a heartbeat. Isn't the intended goal of doing all the side content to let the player look upon the world and weep as there are no more worlds to conquer?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crabtree posted:

Another Virmire would just be too loving obvious of a choice depending on who they let you axe off. "Well, shoot, good bye Sera. Fight the good fight and all that!" Except they already had a stupidly overblown sacrifice in the dick priest from the first act suddenly trusting you now. At the end of the day they allowed the player to become stupidly powerful if they so choose to do and between forcing you to feel like nothing matters and giving the player the tools to easily chump the final boss, I'll go with the latter in a heartbeat. Isn't the intended goal of doing all the side content to let the player look upon the world and weep as there are no more worlds to conquer?

Well they just pulled another Virmire choice in TOR's new expansion, so don't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
It sucked because he actually did seem pretty dangerous in the DA2 expansion when he's introduced, so it's not like they don't know how to do it. I do wonder sometimes if the key to video game villains is 'less is more'. Antagonists that are barely fleshed out like Imshael, Harbinger, or the Shadow Broker all seem more formidable than the Saren or Corypheus types who pop up like saturday morning cartoon villains to thwart you.