Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"Hello, Lena? It's Chuck here. Look we just cleaned house and really need to tap into the millenials for the good of the country l. We need a Sensual Pantsuit for Sanders, if you will.

Will you help us and save the country the only way you know how?"

This post made me want to write a "your cousin, Marvin Dunham" post, but I can't decide what insufferable thing Marvin should point his phone at to inspire the new sound Lena was looking for

help me out here guys

crowdsourcing this meme post

e: "Ed! Ed, it's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Balls! You know that new page you were looking for? Well listen to this!" *points phone at page 664*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You shouldn't encourage people to kill themselves.

"What's hot on the internet right now? I mean the cutting edge poo poo."

"Sir, have you ever heard of Max Stirner?"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius posted:

This post made me want to write a "your cousin, Marvin Dunham" post, but I can't decide what insufferable thing Marvin should point his phone at to inspire the new sound Lena was looking for

help me out here guys

crowdsourcing this meme post

Some things are better not dreamed up - Robert J. Oppenheimer after observing the first nuclear detonation.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Some things are better not dreamed up - Robert J. Oppenheimer after observing the first nuclear detonation.

now we are all sons of bitches

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

I don't see the problem in Obama sticking around. And I'd question what he has actively done to cause the massive Democratic losses other than having a pulse. It's not like he forced the state parties to nominate terrible candidates for Senate and Governor, he didn't cause those candidates to run away from him in 2010 and 2014, and I question what he could have done differently to somehow stop Republicans from using him as a lightning rod for criticism for 8 years.

The fact remains that he is popular, he is a charismatic speaker, and he will do a good job as a high-level surrogate for Democrats in the future. This notion that somehow he's going to sabotage reform efforts from within should Ellison gain the DNC chairmanship sounds a little tinfoil-hattish to me.

his crappy leadership contributed significantly to the Dem massacre in 2010. between halfassing policy and openly buying into Republican messaging in the name of bipartisanship, spending most of his first two years on a personal legacy project that wouldn't kick in until his second term, and ignoring easy issues that the base wanted in hopes that he could save them until 2012, he didn't give Congressional Dems much to campaign on, and the fact that the Dems suddenly rediscovered the ability to pass legislation as soon as their near-supermajority's days were numbered did a real number on progressive enthusiasm

the fact that he spent the next three years playing along with Republican debt ceiling brinkmanship was just the icing on the cake. instead of complaining that they were wasting their time on dumb bullshit instead of real problems, he tried to take the lead on deficit reduction and demonstrate his commitment to austerity with dumb moves like putting Medicare and SS "on the table"

Obama personally is an excellent campaigner who's very popular and good at winning his own elections, but as a leader of the Democratic Party he made a lot of questionable political moves, he dumped his campaign staff in favor of an army of Clinton loyalists rather than trying to make his own mark upon the party, and the contrast between woke leftist "campaign Obama" and boring centrist Clintonite "President Obama" did a big number on progressive enthusiasm and turnout

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also all this discussion of the Fight Song video reminded me of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jval6WwknUU

ah, a more hopeful time

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bernie had the best memes.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

You shouldn't encourage people to kill themselves.

encouraging ppl to give up gives me intense ecstatic gratification, please do not problematically otherize and kinkshame me thanks in advance

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

anime was right posted:

bernie had the best memes.

Too dank for this world.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

We need the virals, people. Fire all these video losers and hire me some biochemists to spread the virals - Chucky Schumer (I-NJ)

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grammarchist posted:

American Prospect has a longform up that explores attitudes of the white working class that are ideologically fluid. There is support there for progressive ideas like higher taxes on the rich to help poorer communities, but these are also tied with an institutional distrust of government with all the "run it like a household" this implies. As a result, the GOP has an institutional advantage there for as long as that attitude holds and for as long as the Democrats were visibly in charge. So yeah, genuine economic populism has potential, but it'll require direct localized dialogue with these communities.

If the Republicans shift back to record deficit spending and grift as we saw in the Bush years, there could conceivably be a path forward by railing against obvious corruption. The backlash against the bathroom law in North Carolina might also be an example of something to target, as many working-class whites are ambivalent to LGBT rights, but oppose active persecution if its blatant enough. A nationwide Moral Mondays-style response to things like that, coupled with "they're wasting time on this while our factory jobs leave?" could have potential as a narrative.
http://prospect.org/article/mapping-white-working-class

Does that article have more than 140 characters?

edit: this is sarcasm

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/810600604854648832

Now the optics of Perez being evasive as hell when pressed on the TPP aside, I instead direct your attention to the slap fights in the tweets that respond if you really wanna know why hope is a lie.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
He says he understands NAFTA was bad but "When you're on a team, you always stick with the team."

Holy poo poo his answer about why he supported the TPP and went against the unions is literally that he thought it was important to be an Obama Yes-man.

I wasn't convinced before that he was just gonna be a stooge for the Dem establishment but I kind of am now?

Oh, also "We 'fixed the labour justice system in Mexico'" lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Aurubin posted:

Now the optics of Perez being evasive as hell when pressed on the TPP aside, I instead direct your attention to the slap fights in the tweets that respond if you really wanna know why hope is a lie.

gently caress Perez.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

loquacius posted:

help me out here guys

...mmmumblecore?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Aurubin posted:

oof

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I wasn't convinced before that he was just gonna be a stooge for the Dem establishment but I kind of am now?

considering that aside from being a party sycophant he's basically exactly the same as Ellison but with less experience, duh

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aurubin posted:

haha wow

dude can't even give a straight answer to the question and is also weird about the person taking pictures

I hope this gets shown to all the unions so they know this dude's true colors

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hot take: Tom Perez looks kind of like Doug Stamper from House Of Cards

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
That was bizarrely evasive and the weird reaction he had to being on film just made it worse.

Seriously, the DNC chair is going to be on camera a LOT. Perez could be the most liberal liberal that ever liberaled, but if he can't talk to people, he shouldn't be DNC chair.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aurubin posted:

i can't believe it's something as stupid as the TPP that's destroying the dem establishment. instead of picking any kind of coherent narrative on trade they're just running around in circles, panicking and blubbering wildly

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I get nervous about public speaking and would probably sputter a bit if I was being filmed on a question I wanted to avoid, but I am also not running to be the face of a major party. I actually feel for him a tad, but if two random people asking a question with a cameraphone in a hotel lobby/convention hall makes him stumble that much... Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Aurubin posted:

argh @ the dumb bernout recording this with his "I only socialize in local game stores" laugh

that response, though, :laffo: Perez wants to lead the party and this is the best he can do to some kid "cornering" him with the most basic question imaginable?

"I was just following orders" isn't a good excuse but it's a better one than trying to rationalize the lovely orders (while also distancing yourself from them)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Aurubin posted:

Now THAT is the kind of leader we need.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

See, the thing is (a) I don't know what kind of answer he could have given to that question that would have satisfactorily addressed it short of "they said they'd fire me if I didn't put up with it and I could do more good as a slightly-compromised labor secretary than an unemployed person", and (b) "when you're on a team, you stick with the team" is red meat for hillarymen and let's be honest a good 90% of his grassroots support is hillarymen

So that answer wasn't necessarily a bad answer, it just wasn't for us

In short, Keith for DNC

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

i can't believe it's something as stupid as the TPP that's destroying the dem establishment. instead of picking any kind of coherent narrative on trade they're just running around in circles, crying and urinating

Fixed

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Alter Ego posted:

That was bizarrely evasive and the weird reaction he had to being on film just made it worse.

Seriously, the DNC chair is going to be on camera a LOT. Perez could be the most liberal liberal that ever liberaled, but if he can't talk to people, he shouldn't be DNC chair.

Rinsed Pubis looks like a frazzled community college prof close to getting fired for sexually harassing his students and drinking on the job, and has led to the GOP controlling the white house and both parts of congress tho so idk there are probably better reasons to dislike Perez than being a camera-shy globalist elf

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

i can't believe it's something as stupid as the TPP that's destroying the dem establishment. instead of picking any kind of coherent narrative on trade they're just running around in circles, panicking and blubbering wildly

the TPP should destroy the Dem establishment and I'll be glad if it does :thumbsup:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Serf posted:

haha wow

dude can't even give a straight answer to the question and is also weird about the person taking pictures

I hope this gets shown to all the unions so they know this dude's true colors

I got the impression he was probably trying to confirm if he was being recorded, but realized asking "are you recording this" would have been super awful and incriminating so he smoothly changed it to "are you taking pictures?" half-way through the sentence leaving his mouth

This skilled orator wants to be the leader of the democratic party. :allears:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mirthless posted:

argh @ the dumb bernout recording this with his "I only socialize in local game stores" laugh

that response, though, :laffo: Perez wants to lead the party and this is the best he can do to some kid "cornering" him with the most basic question imaginable?

"I was just following orders" isn't a good excuse but it's a better one than trying to rationalize the lovely orders (while also distancing yourself from them)

the most :shillary: post imaginable, right here folks

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

the most :shillary: post imaginable, right here folks

???

no part of that post was pro-hillary

or pro-perez

or pro-dnc-establishment

are you doing that thing again where you get outraged over abstract discussion of political strategy?

(edit: if you're referring to the dumb bernout comment it is not factually inaccurate to point out that HEE HOO HOO laugh is generally only heard when somebody's big creature gets countered the same term they play it)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

See, the thing is (a) I don't know what kind of answer he could have given to that question that would have satisfactorily addressed it short of "they said they'd fire me if I didn't put up with it and I could do more good as a slightly-compromised labor secretary than an unemployed person", and (b) "when you're on a team, you stick with the team" is red meat for hillarymen and let's be honest a good 90% of his grassroots support is hillarymen

In short, Keith for DNC

Yeah my first thought at that bit was that there's definitely going to be a chunk of dems who hear that and nod approvingly.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mitt Romney kept posting that the TPP is really just about limiting the influence of China and not to worry about all the bad or unknown parts but he hasn't shown up since the Dem convention so I don't know what the current talking points are supposed to be.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

To be fair to the Very Serious People, isolating China economically will ensure US hegemony. That said, the IP protection, environmental regulations, and "future profit impact" poo poo made it clear that Obama would run as fast and hard as he possibly could from labor if he was politically able.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

sure wish Obama could have fought for actual progressive policy in his 8 years as hard as he's fought for the TPP in the last few

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

In short, Keith for DNC

the party is on the way out, and it's not like he has much reason to cover his rear end after the spectacular failure of the Democratic party. if he wants to win votes, he does so by distancing himself from that stuff. I would have 1000x more respect for this dude if he looked straight into the camera and said "I did it because they would fire me if I didn't". regular people can relate to doing poo poo they don't like because their boss told them to, and it shows that politics is just like your regular job imo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Mitt Romney kept posting that the TPP is really just about limiting the influence of China and not to worry about all the bad or unknown parts but he hasn't shown up since the Dem convention so I don't know what the current talking points are supposed to be.

he is still the weirdest drat thing this forum had imo

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mirthless posted:

???

no part of that post was pro-hillary

or pro-perez

or pro-dnc-establishment

are you doing that thing again where you get outraged over abstract discussion of political strategy?

you need to end your posts with keith for dnc so they know you're not a shillary plant

keith for dnc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

loquacius posted:

In short, Keith for DNC

If he had given the first answer I would have had a ton of respect for that, but yeah he made it pretty obvious that he stands for the people I want to see crushed and driven from the party leadership at this point.

• Locked thread