Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

Let them tell you:

"People are obsessed with having legal control, I am not.

I trust that Chris is not a scam artist, I believe, absent physical proof or control that he will do his best to deliver the best game that he can deliver with the resources he has been granted.

If he fails, oh well, that was a risk we all took together in giving him a collective $130 million dollars. I can watch my $2000 drift away and get on with my life.

The potential payoff of "the best damned space sim ever" is worth that risk to me. I understood from day one that it was a risk and when it looked shaky rather than cutting bait I doubled down, because from everything I see him say and do I trust that he is an autisitc nerd trying to make the holy grail of nerd-dom and I want to help.

I also believe as an author/artist myself that strict controls and oversight and intrusive accounting has a stifling effect on creativity and productivity. If you want someone to produce something beautiful from their own mind you cannot lean over their should nitpicking all the time, this kills the creative process. Even if you paid for the sculpture you have to gently caress off and let the sculptor be while it is being made."

:cool:
Need more ? Here:

"An opinion is not a fact no matter how many times you state it.

Your perspective tells you that $2000 is an enormous sum of money that should be spent on socially acceptable things. My perspective tells me that $2000 is an expendable sum of money that can be risked on a dream. Neither of us is wrong in our own context we only become wrong when we attempt to force our opinion into someone elses context.

I would be wrong to demand that you a poorfag spends $2000 on a game so that my dream will have more funding.

You are wrong to demand that I live according to your monetary ideals and spend money only on essentials. Just because you would not do a thing, does not make that thing wrong or stupid or irrational. Motivation is not objective and you are not the arbiter of rationality."

He doesn't have the nickname Chris “make that pixel blue, not green” Roberts for nothing you know.

ripptide posted:

ROFL Guess they're really getting desperate, just received my PTU invite for 2.6k. Wonder if I should email them back reminding them I'm a dirty leaver and no longer have an account )

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

hosed up if true. But after that one developer crowd funding his daughters hospital bill or whatever it is nothing would surprise me

Tbf I think that was mostly due to him not understanding how insurance works and rather than read his policy he immediately ran to gofundme. Which makes sense when you consider who he works for.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

good morning thread

finally hittin christmas holidays, now i can devote myself to talking about star citizen and doxxing full time

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Star Citizen dev says Crytek closures will have no impact on his game
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/20/14029448/star-citizen-crytek-closures-impact-squadron-42-star-marine

quote:

“Won’t impact us one bit,” Swofford said via email. He said that he personally checked with studio head and creative lead Chris Roberts.

“We are totally not dependent on them for anything at this point,” Swofford said.

quote:

[in regards to S42 delay]"We want to do it right," Roberts said at the time. "It’s really important to do it right. ... For all the polish we need to do, it still needs more time."

Everything is fine.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

intardnation posted:

I am out - thanks moma for all the help!
No longer a star shitizen and I feel free. Can I still laugh and point now that I dont have skin in the game?

If you ever wanna check if you got out of a cult, tell some citizens that you got a refund and watch how they react.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baxta posted:

I backed this a few months ago and have thrown a couple hundred bucks at it.

After I tried to load up Star Citizen the other day to play with my JPEGs, it was apparent they had hosed something between the 2.5 servers and the purchases db.

I googled around. Hundreds of people having the same issue. No response from CIG.

I waited a day because I had done a similar thing at *LARGE SOFTWARE COMPANY* when migrating an old instance to different servers. Probably forgot to update server names/IPs somewhere.

Started to get worried a day later when there was still no response and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would move the 2.5 instance when testing 2.6. I mean 2.5 being the current live version, there would be zero reason to move it to test a branch.

Then I got paranoid because the only reason you'd do that is if you didn't have resources to concurrently run the two instances. It would be rear end backwards and loving retarded to break live, say oh well and tell everyone 2.6 is the new live and it will be available "soon".

But that is what looks like has happened.

That or they moved the servers hosting the purchases. Once again... Why?!

Long story short, I googled around and found this thread.

Feelin pretty stupid right now.

welcome to the jungle

dont feel stupid, this thread is make smart, we even have a doctor somewhere in here

also get a refund. even if youve rationalised it as a write-off, get that money out and have a fancy dinner with someone

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Baxta posted:

It's not about the money. I just want to play the stupid spaceship game but I can't see it happening because the more I look into it, the more amazingly stupid this company seems to be.

That FPS thing. Star Marine? Where the gently caress was that in the kickstarter? Why on earth would you suddenly make an FPS when there a million other things that need to be done? Who even asked for Star Marine? Where the gently caress did they gauge demand!?

I'm not mad, i'm just disappointed. :saddowns:

It's not so much about getting your money back, it's about taking money out of the hands of these literal scammers.

Are you familiar with the full list of promised features that this game has? The kickstarter list of features is about as reliable as its Nov 2014 delivery date.

Is there actually a website with a full list of promised SC features? I feel like it's something someone must have put together by this point.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Baxta posted:

It's not about the money. I just want to play the stupid spaceship game but I can't see it happening because the more I look into it, the more amazingly stupid this company seems to be.

Play E:D or Astroneer, or Space Engineer, or Empyrion or Osiris or Everspace or plenty of other option, designed and delivered for less than 60$ USD (ok, maybe more for E:D if not on sale, but hey, Christmas sale coming soon)

Plenty of good space game for all time and budget out there.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Inkel posted:

Star Citizen dev says Crytek closures will have no impact on his game
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/20/14029448/star-citizen-crytek-closures-impact-squadron-42-star-marine

Everything is fine.

huh to me thats surprising. i assumed crytek closure offered a perfect sort of confused excuse for why something was delayed. was expecting cig to jump for that

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Baxta posted:

I backed this a few months ago and have thrown a couple hundred bucks at it.

After I tried to load up Star Citizen the other day to play with my JPEGs, it was apparent they had hosed something between the 2.5 servers and the purchases db.

I googled around. Hundreds of people having the same issue. No response from CIG.

I waited a day because I had done a similar thing at *LARGE SOFTWARE COMPANY* when migrating an old instance to different servers. Probably forgot to update server names/IPs somewhere.

Started to get worried a day later when there was still no response and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would move the 2.5 instance when testing 2.6. I mean 2.5 being the current live version, there would be zero reason to move it to test a branch.

Then I got paranoid because the only reason you'd do that is if you didn't have resources to concurrently run the two instances. It would be rear end backwards and loving retarded to break live, say oh well and tell everyone 2.6 is the new live and it will be available "soon".

But that is what looks like has happened.

That or they moved the servers hosting the purchases. Once again... Why?!

Long story short, I googled around and found this thread.

Feelin pretty stupid right now.

get a refund I just did. They will be running out of money soon.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

huh to me thats surprising. i assumed crytek closure offered a perfect sort of confused excuse for why something was delayed. was expecting cig to jump for that

Insiders say they've bought the cryengine source code so they don't need crytek - plus they've mutilated the engine so hard I'm not sure they even could get help on it from them if they tried.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

good luck bud

also you gotta add me as a steam friend or gimme yo steam email address to get the ultimate holiday gift fyi

Friendship achieved!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chalks posted:

Insiders say they've bought the cryengine source code so they don't need crytek - plus they've mutilated the engine so hard I'm not sure they even could get help on it from them if they tried.

oh yeah for sure. i meant more in the sense that it sounds like relatively good obfuscation, you could bury a good few months of refactored systems in a goof excuse like that

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

they have no idea whats coming

orcinus posted:

Star Citizen: lovely thing is, Derek is sitting somewhere jizzing all over himself

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

God drat beer, send the letters man. They loving dont deserve the benefit of the doubt or patience and your complaints are still valid even if they refund. You can update them if you get the refund, but either way you still got hosed. Cig isnt a bank they misled you and held your money hostage for years. The only thing that got them to even consider refunding you is they are poo poo scared the lawsuits they would trigger if didnt. Hell they wouldnt win arbitration under the favorable circumstances of having chosen and paid for the mediation. The ceo's wife all but told you to go gently caress yourself. gently caress them beer. Send all the letters.

Qft

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DogonCrook posted:

God drat beer, send the letters man. They loving dont deserve the benefit of the doubt or patience and your complaints are still valid even if they refund. You can update them if you get the refund, but either way you still got hosed. Cig isnt a bank they misled you and held your money hostage for years. The only thing that got them to even consider refunding you is they are poo poo scared the lawsuits they would trigger if didnt. Hell they wouldnt win arbitration under the favorable circumstances of having chosen and paid for the mediation. The ceo's wife all but told you to go gently caress yourself. gently caress them beer. Send all the letters.

My case is more persuasive if I've demonstrated a willingness to work with the company and a polite, reasonable tone. I have no intention of issuing a complaint about how CIG didn't provide me with a refund unless they start to jerk me around, ignore me, or basically do all the various things that consumer protection agencies and attorneys consider to be poor behavior. That said if they continue to ignore me I'll follow through.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My case is more persuasive if I've demonstrated a willingness to work with the company and a polite, reasonable tone. I have no intention of issuing a complaint about how CIG didn't provide me with a refund unless they start to jerk me around, ignore me, or basically do all the various things that consumer protection agencies and attorneys consider to be poor behavior. That said if they continue to ignore me I'll follow through.

Sure but weren't the emails sent directly from the VP of marketing saying 'gently caress you peasant' enough to warrant you loving their existence up ?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How much are you still in for beer

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Unfunny Poster posted:

They actually recently moved the servers to Iceland. Or at least a component of the servers.

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-iii-is-ready-for-you/

Edit - Sorry they moved the data center to a new spot in London. They do have servers/support stuff set up in the UK, Iceland, and in the USA.

Oh, I learned something new today :) Thanks :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

A dangerous habit. If you bought Dishonored 2 you wouldn't have been able to play it on full settings on any card and you'd get stuck in an infinite loop of buying new graphics cards.

Worked perfectly fine maxxed out for me.
Well, framerate-wise, at least, the game itself was a bug-ridden shitfest.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

the problem is they'll use the "oh everyone was on holiday until mid jan" excuse

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
moma how are you enjoying 2.6, the patch that makes the entire game worse somehow

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

huh so sarsparilla has less money in the game than beer at this point? another good plot twist from The Thread

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Gamasutra: Miyamoto: 'You can't just throw every good idea you have into a game'

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

You can’t just throw every good idea you have into a game. The idea has to connect up with something else in the game, and there needs to be consistency between the ideas.

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

“I believe that ideas are limitless. These days, the world is overflowing with them. It’s a game designer’s job to figure out how to compile and program them into a video game," said Miyamoto. "I think that the ability to collect and organize things is even more important to making games than the power of imagination and creativity."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Well sure, but has that guy ever directed a Freddy Prinze Jr. movie?

Didn't think so.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ZekeNY posted:

Well sure, but has that guy ever directed a Freddy Prinze Jr. movie?

Didn't think so.

i honestly think freddy prinze jr and mr lillard did their goddamned best

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Mirificus posted:

Gamasutra: Miyamoto: 'You can't just throw every good idea you have into a game'

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

"I think that the ability to collect and organize things is even more important to making games than the power of imagination and creativity."

I think that applies to every art form. Having a shitload of ideas is one thing, forming them to a coherent whole another.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheAgent posted:

moma how are you enjoying 2.6, the patch that makes the entire game worse somehow

The usual shills on [H] are saying that 2.6 is super stable and polished. Not kidding.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chalks posted:

Quite possible. Looking at the ammount of SM video this FPS is so dated in its idea and execution that if pitched outside of the SC 'laxy it would probably not even clear steam greenlight. Its your basic, run of the mill lshooter with short TTK and regenerating health on a space station. Thats it, thats all there is to it. If that thing dont get 2 new map and a new mode by February it will be so stale you could hammer nails with it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

They actually recently moved the servers to Iceland.

There was a plan to build some large scale data warehousing in Iceland at one point. They have decent conditions and renewable energy, but so far not many people are biting, mainly because of the links, I suspect. Also a fairly high cost of living for the engineers that inevitably end up working onsite.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hate to be a Negative Nancy, but I feel this game might not come out as designed.

:airquote: designed :airquote:

Arrangement via combustion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what does shigeru miyamoto know about game development though

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

same

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

huh so sarsparilla has less money in the game than beer at this point? another good plot twist from The Thread

Your idols fall like dominos in the face of the laser-focussed vision of St Croberts, exposed for the hollow shams that they are, clutching their ships behind their backs as they nervously attempt to herd you sheeple into Dazmac Smoochers meat shield.

You'll all be sorry when 3.0 surpasses all expectations and supplies procedural birds out the rear end.

And in North Korean;

당신의 우상은 St Croberts의 레이저 집중된 비전에 직면하여 도미노처럼 떨어지고, 그들은 속이 빈 샴페인에 노출되어 있습니다. 그들은 Dazmac Smoocher의 고기 방패로 떼지기 위해 긴장한 시도로 배를 등 뒤에서 쥐고 있습니다.

3.0이 모든 기대치를 능가하고 절차상의 새를 엉덩이 밖으로 공급할 때 당신은 모두 미안합니다.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hav posted:

You'll all be sorry when 3.0 surpasses all expectations and supplies procedural birds out the rear end

hey i'm nearly sorry now!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Hav posted:

Dazmac Smoocher

I'd follow Dazmac Smoocher anywhere.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

what does shigeru miyamoto know about game development though

Disregarding that, the community is so detached from reality and so ignorant to concepts of software development that it hurts. 'I'm just backing the MOST AMBITIOUS GAME EVER' is neither a good idea or relevant defense when the scope of your ambitious game is 'all the stuff'. That talk is cheap, but delivering on that, even for the an experienced and talented studio proves to be really hard. It just stuns me that is a nontrivial number of people can be promised absolutely everything and they don't have the introspection or sense to examine those claims and say, 'maybe I'm being lied to for money...'

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Theres more to complain about than the refund process. They straight up lied to get your money, and used that to cynically bilk more people like you out of theirs. In a court proving fraud may be pretty hard without a source but do you for a second believe they ever honestly thought they could get 1000 people in an instance? That poo poo like nested instances is even a loving thing? That they did this poo poo with inexperienced devs making less than industry average? Do they even hold patents on any code whatsoever that would allow them to do any of this poo poo? That they have some magic network guru that can defy the laws of physics, yet cant make a loving patcher in 4 years time? I could go on and on. These are bold over the top claims that use magic technology they cant even loving explain the concept of. Of which no prototypes exist. Where in their company are the hiding this dev who is about to shatter everything we know about networking? I mean that tech would be worth enough money for a venture capital firm to buy out the company outright and shutter the project just to get the patent, and they would still make money. This is fraud. Complain about that.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Disregarding that, the community is so detached from reality and so ignorant to concepts of software development that it hurts. 'I'm just backing the MOST AMBITIOUS GAME EVER' is neither a good idea or relevant defense when the scope of your ambitious game is 'all the stuff'. That talk is cheap, but delivering on that, even for the an experienced and talented studio proves to be really hard. It just stuns me that is a nontrivial number of people can be promised absolutely everything and they don't have the introspection or sense to examine those claims and say, 'maybe I'm being lied to for money...'

sounds like SOMEONE doesn't understand game design.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

No you will imagine a Press R to <Use> Rape mechanic like the rest of us have to every night before bed goddamnit.

”Would you like to rape?
[N]ow [P]ostpone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

A golf swing mechanic needs to be involved somehow.

Pendulum minigame.

e: awkward.

e2:

orcinus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2016