Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real frustrated I can't find an image of the mariachi costume behind this anti-games internet filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bicyclops posted:

I stopped posting for a long time and Stux is one of the only ones left of the original three who took up most of this thread. Dunno what happened to Taint and Bowen but things seem a little less tense in this relaxed chat thread these days

when was the last time someone had their taint reaped

truly, the end of an era

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm glad they're making some good Star Wars movies. I know they're just fun pop culture-y things, but I can only watch stuff like Manchester by the Sea so often before I want to curl into a ball in bed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I saw it last night, and hoooo boy it's super loving good.

I loved that Vader scene, it really shows what an unholy bloody terror he was.
Vader is the most brutal here from the entire series, it's a real 'holy poo poo' sequence. Also I don't think I've seen so many stormtroopers killed en masse in any other episode, it was almost concerning. Another random thought is that I liked that there were actually some tones of grey to the rebels and that they were shown making mistakes, it was pretty refreshing. Overall I really enjoyed the tone they went for, it's one badass movie.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I was concerned about Rogue One after watching Episode VII but these posts have given me hope.

Rogue One is the sort of film I think they should've made instead anyway. Let the original series sleep while various directors explore other aspects of the universe. You could do that hypothetically forever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sill a little miffed they nixed Kyle Katarn though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gimbal lock posted:

I was curious about something, so I've made this bucket of statistics just waiting to happen.
These are the avatars of the 20 most prolific posters (by post count) of each major publisher's thread, in no particular order. I skipped those with no avatar.

honored to be next to ehb and stux

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On the one hand I am excited for Rogue One because a lot of people liked it but on the other hand, a lot of those people didn't like Episode VII, which is probably the best Star War movie I have seen, so :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I was concerned about Rogue One after watching Episode VII but these posts have given me hope.

Rogue One is the sort of film I think they should've made instead anyway. Let the original series sleep while various directors explore other aspects of the universe. You could do that hypothetically forever.

If you're worried about a film being too beholden to the original films Rogue One probably won't be for you. It's pretty much the opposite of letting the original series sleep. It's mostly there to explain minutia, fill in plot holes and show how well/poorly they can recreated dead actors with CGI.

On the other hand it has X-Wings being awesome so....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gimbal lock posted:

I was curious about something, so I've made this bucket of statistics just waiting to happen.
These are the avatars of the 20 most prolific posters (by post count) of each major publisher's thread, in no particular order. I skipped those with no avatar.

Proof that I am not for corporate attitude and an unbiased observer of vidcons.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gimbal lock posted:

All these posters should be banned

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

years of posting in the 3DS/eshop/Wii U/vita threads all for nothing

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

devtesla posted:

but one of them is VideoGames

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've never owned an XBox console because with my limited income, I have always opted for Nintendo and Playstation consoles, and I cannot imagine posting, repeatedly in the thread for XBox.

In fact I have difficulty posting in the Fallout 4 thread because of how much of it is taken up purely by "I hate Bethesda, they are retarded" posts because they're sort of unproductive and boring by the second page. Like "I don't like this aspect of the game and here's what I hope gets better" is fine, but why play a game for dozens of hours and post repeatedly about it just to say how much you hate the company?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

devtesla posted:

Thanks Buddy!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Post about things you enjoy IMO, even if that includes criticism or sarcastic jokes about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I love videogames

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I love videogames

Same, friend. And I enjoy sharing my love for them with fellow video game lovers.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Help Im Alive posted:

years of posting in the 3DS/eshop/Wii U/vita/PS4/Xbone threads all for nothing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
All gaming is good to someone, and whenever someone asks what console to get your answer should always be: "whatever your friends have".

Gaming is best with friends.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like games and criticizing games and thinking about what could be done to improve them and what they do well, and I get annoyed when people complain about armchair game designers. Discussions are fun. Talking about games can often be more fun than playing them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Same, friend. And I enjoy sharing my love for them with fellow video game lovers.

Such a good mod

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I just love video games, in a platonic way though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

chumbler posted:

I like games and criticizing games and thinking about what could be done to improve them and what they do well, and I get annoyed when people complain about armchair game designers. Discussions are fun. Talking about games can often be more fun than playing them.

I mean, I don't mind "I'm not a fan of X. I think if they had [done thing instead of X], things would be improved" but page after page of "The story is poo poo and Bethesda is retarded, let's go play New Vegas" is so goddamn annoying.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love all of you. Every single one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, I don't mind "I'm not a fan of X. I think if they had [done thing instead of X], things would be improved" but page after page of "The story is poo poo and Bethesda is retarded, let's go play New Vegas" is so goddamn annoying.

I would buy that t-shirt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy discussing things I enjoy. Thank you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you're worried about a film being too beholden to the original films Rogue One probably won't be for you. It's pretty much the opposite of letting the original series sleep. It's mostly there to explain minutia, fill in plot holes and show how well/poorly they can recreated dead actors with CGI.

On the other hand it has X-Wings being awesome so....
Let me rephrase.

I think the core "Skywalker" legacy should've probably been left alone. The prequels weren't great, but between them and the originals we've got a fairly complete thematic arc with the fall of the father and redemption of the son and all that jazz. But the Star Wars universe is a much bigger place than just Anakin and Luke's immediate acquaintances and family and their specific stories. Rogue One is still concerned with the conflict between the Galatic Empire and the rebellion, but the focus is given to other characters, to a different story (albeit one that functions alongside a story we're already familiar with). That's what I want, and that's what Rogue One seems to deliver.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My hot take is that new vegas is also lovely. I've tried 3 times to get into that game, and it's the exact same boring garbage.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What's everyones favourite thing they've done in a game recently?

For me, playing Black Flag, I saw a spanish blockade, jumped off my ship, swam to each ship and covertly murdered every single crew member on all 7 ships before geting back on the Jackdale and instantly capturing every single one for my growing trade fleet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like Fallouts 1, 2, and New Vegas for how they present a world moving forward, and dislike Fallouts 3 and 4 for how they don't do that at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

My hot take is that new vegas is also lovely. I've tried 3 times to get into that game, and it's the exact same boring garbage.

Hot garbage take.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

but one of them is VideoGames

videogames is dead

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're all good. New Vegas is definitely, definitely better at a lot of stuff and yes, Bethesda could stand to flesh out a ton of high concepts more, to spend some time cleaning up their games so they don't feel half-baked in a million and one ways, but like, the people posting "This is just absolute poo poo" have, like me, been playing the game for 40-60 hours, at least, so maybe it's not total poo poo? Maybe we can sometimes talk about the stuff that we liked or at least make funny jokes about the stuff that we disliked?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Gimbal lock posted:

I wish I could eat bread with the other Nintendo posters

I guess I'm one of the few who thought Rogue One was alright at best. There's a lot of good stuff in it, like Vader doing his thing, K-2SO being the best new character in the film, the cinematography being excellent and all the new planets being a real eye treat, but I didn't feel myself getting as invested in a lot of the other new characters as I did with Rey and Finn in Force Awakens. Jyn and Cassian especially felt really underdeveloped to me and I wish the movie could've taken the time to expand upon them a little more

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

devtesla posted:

videogames is dead

This is news to me!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I never saw The Force Awakens and I probably won't end up seeing Rogue One even though I still love Star Wars

Something about sitting down to watch a movie just doesn't work for me anymore, last movies I saw at home orotherwise was Elysium with Matt Damon like two, three years ago

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VideoGames posted:

This is news to me!

You had a 1-up, it's okay.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ciaphas posted:

Something about sitting down to watch a movie just doesn't work for me anymore

was the screen/projector on?? i've had that problem a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the guy with the Captain Toad avatar who posts in the MS and Valve threads but not the Nintendo one

VideoGames posted:

Gaming is best with friends.

It owns; it's my birthday and I'm gonna play Red Dead with a buddy for a couple hours before I go out tonight

oddium posted:

was the screen/projector on?? i've had that problem a few times

Turn your screen/projector on.

• Locked thread