Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dad: you spoiled little poo poo, your grandfather stole deathstar plans uphill both ways, i stole deathstar plans rain or shine for pennies, and so help me force, you will steal those death star plans or you're getting no dessert for a WEEK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
but mommmmmmmm

mom: steal the deathstar plans, honey.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

A photo of someone who would blend right into the background in an imperial installation.

It would seem to me "many" people died to get the first Death Star plans.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can feel this conversation working its way back to this image and I like it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

poptart_fairy posted:

I remember an interview where Carrie Fisher was talking about how difficult it was to be angry at him, in character, because while Leia's ranting about how full of evil and spite the guy is, Peter's stood there quite happily smelling of lavender and after shave. :haw:

Didn't he also like to wear fuzzy slippers on set or was that someone else?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hoojib

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Shbobdb posted:

Didn't he also like to wear fuzzy slippers on set or was that someone else?

That was him. Apparently the boots he had to wear were too uncomfortable after a while.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wank posted:

Hoojib

Look at the bones!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Just got back from watching it. I liked it. I agree with what I've heard, that the first half is quite slow compared to the second, but I understand why that had to happen. I'm also okay with the characterisation because I think it fit in with the plot. These characters were no more than tools in the larger Rebel Alliance. Their names don't live on in legend, Luke or whoever won't be toasting to their memories, nobody is going to be building statues of them (although, they probably should). It took me a while to come to terms that this wasn't a "Star Wars" film but a war film based in Star Wars, if that makes sense. Possibly the main characters could have done with some expanding, but we are never going to see or hear from them again (most likely) so I only needed to be emotionally bound to the story rather than the characters.

CGI Tarkin and Leia were pretty bad, but I think if I saw it on a smaller screen I probably wouldn't notice. The ending scenes felt quite tacked on - I haven't read any of the production/post-production stories but I wouldn't be surprised if the original ended with the beach shot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jisforjosh posted:

Explicity DS2 as it's stated in RoTJ. Who knows about DS1.

Everyone knows

They literally just released a loving movie about it

This is the stupidest Star Wars conversation. Ever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

Their names don't live on in legend, Luke or whoever won't be toasting to their memories, nobody is going to be building statues of them (although, they probably should).

Everyone they've ever known or interacted with is going to be fleshed out in the Brave New EU. I can't wait for the complete backstory for Jyn's prison cellmate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bothans did help in the old EU too I think, because stealing the Death Star plans is one of the default things to do in a Star Wars story.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

All Hutts are criminals, all Sullustans are pilots, all Bith are musicians, all Trandoshans are (bounty) hunters, ergo all Bothans are spies who steal Death Star plans.

You forgot that all Twi'leks are either hookers if female or pimps if male.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I've just realised that this thread exists, so I'll pop this in here from the other one:

Initial Rogue One thoughts: I cannot remember the name of a single character in the entire drat movie. This should probably say something.

Visually, though, utterly spectacular.

While I could type for a while, my review will be summed up as 'Halo Reach: The Movie'.

Another thing that's come to mind since is that the CGI abomination that is the digitally reanimated corpse of Peter Cushing was really well done, and as something of an expert in these matters, I approve. There was the odd time where it seemed out of place, but most of the time it was really close enough.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

kiimo posted:

IIRC Han has sex with that otter. Or at least another main character in an EU novel does. Or maybe I'm confusing it for the dude in the X-Wing series who fucks a dog person. And you gotta assume someone was banging that x-wing pilot that was literally a horse.

Man I miss the EU.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IIRC Han has sex with that otter. Or at least another main character in an EU novel does. Or maybe I'm confusing it for the dude in the X-Wing series who fucks a dog person. And you gotta assume someone was banging that x-wing pilot that was literally a horse.

Man I miss the EU.

Biggs' cousin fucks a goat-person,

Gary Sue Corran Horn fucks an otter-person.

Horse-person pilot did not bang anyone to my knowledge but did get shot in the head by pig-person pilot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh and Bug Orgies. Troy Denning was awful in every single way.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh and Bug Orgies. Troy Denning was awful in every single way.

EU kept giving him books to write whereas Allston died.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The great thing about that picture is if you really look at it that otter that Han is attempting to punch with his dumb human fists has like 8 inch claws and fangs it may as well be a velociraptor.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Tarkin face is now a mask like Vader's to be worn by many actors.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I thought the CGI Cushing was done very well and there were only a few times I really noticed the effect.

CG Leia was worse because they gave her princess eyes and chopped "hope" out of the Obi-Wan speech and tossed it in.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I thought the CGI Cushing was done very well and there were only a few times I really noticed the effect.

CG Leia was worse because they gave her princess eyes and chopped "hope" out of the Obi-Wan speech and tossed it in.

I thought he looked unrealistic and deliberately stylized but then I went back and a lot of that was just Cushing having a face that looked unrealistic irl.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

shovelbum posted:

I thought he looked unrealistic and deliberately stylized but then I went back and a lot of that was just Cushing having a face that looked unrealistic irl.

For real. The dude was born to play ridiculous villains.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
CGI Peter Cushing wasn't that bad because real Peter Cushing was pretty much a live-action cartoon character.

CGI Leia, on the other hand, just felt off.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I thought Leia was much better but that's because she had a lot less screentime. I wasn't sure if it was a lookalike, unused footage digitally inserted in or a digital golem. I later realized that it was a CGI golem like Cushing but people in the theater were going crazy when Leia showed up and then when it ended so the excitement made it less obvious.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

kiimo posted:

The true test of Disney star war is going to be whether they put this in the young han Solo movie

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I thought including the Rebel pilots from the Battle of Yavin was a cool touch; those apparently weren't CGI, or were at least really limited CGI. It was mostly unused footage from the first film.

I also thought it was kind of funny that Red 5 was the only Red Squadron pilot shown blowing up, which showed how Luke ended up with that callsign; there was a recent vacancy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mister Bates posted:

I also thought it was kind of funny that Red 5 was the only Red Squadron pilot shown blowing up, which showed how Luke ended up with that callsign; there was a recent vacancy.
I'm pretty sure Red 2 goes down as well, which is how Wedges gets in the squad.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm pretty sure Red 2 goes down as well, which is how Wedges gets in the squad.

Yeah, Red 2 is the one that blows up when the X-Wings are flying through the struts around the gate station.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Moose King posted:

Yeah, Red 2 is the one that blows up when the X-Wings are flying through the struts around the gate station.

I noticed the Red 5 thing, didn't realize that was Red 2 blowing up in the struts. When they first showed the pilots "standing by" there was a guy who looked kinda like Biggs in there as well, though it was quick so it was hard to tell.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, adding in the 70s dudes was a super cool move. It also helps that the aesthetic of 'pilot' is stuck in the 70s, anyways.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did anyone else feel like darth vader looked like he had a fat neck in this?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
In the scene with the terrible dad joke he looks like a pretty big dude wearing a lovely one piece plastic helmet/chest thing over a black moo moo.

Also that dad joke is a dad joke and the apology accepted thing is not a dad joke.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

rear end Catchcum posted:

In the scene with the terrible dad joke he looks like a pretty big dude wearing a lovely one piece plastic helmet/chest thing over a black moo moo.

Also that dad joke is a dad joke and the apology accepted thing is not a dad joke.

Let go your conscious self and embrace the puns. The character has been making cracks like that since age 9.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

well why not posted:

Yeah, adding in the 70s dudes was a super cool move. It also helps that the aesthetic of 'pilot' is stuck in the 70s, anyways.

Poe needs a mustache in VIII.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What other puns please

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did anyone else feel like darth vader looked like he had a fat neck in this?

It's hard to explain, but I did notice that his helmet was more 'disconnected' from the outfit than in previous movies? If that makes any sense? As if it was more over the cape. Maybe I just never noticed it before, but it seemed like it was either bigger or the cape/armor was smaller.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

posted this in the wrong thread, xposting

as someone that doesnt really know that much about starwars and hasnt seen all the movies rogue one was just ok. overly long (for what it was) and poorly written but what a spectacle. the whole movie should of just been about jedi ip man

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

What other puns please

Yeah, characters have made jokes before, but as far as I know this is the first straight up pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

What other puns please

I hear a lot of people say "Apology accepted, captain Needa" is a similar joke, but I couldn't agree less. I've always seen that line as a reminder to everybody present at the scene: "Please don't let me down, you see how this ends." I can totally see it as spontaneous.

The line about aspirations is too... elaborate maybe? It's like Vader came up with it a long time ago and was just waiting for the right moment.

• Locked thread