Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oddium posted:

was the screen/projector on?? i've had that problem a few times

I meant I just get bored and/or fidgety but thanks for this joke :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

I meant I just get bored and/or fidgety but thanks for this joke :v:

That's why I love having a friend who's super into movies and drags me to the movie theatre; every time I try watching a movie at home I end up alt-tabbing like a motherfucker, pausing every 15 minutes or just plain not paying attention to it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Snak posted:

My hot take is that new vegas is also lovely. I've tried 3 times to get into that game, and it's the exact same boring garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1zew7i-tc

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I guess I'm one of the few who thought Rogue One was alright at best. There's a lot of good stuff in it, like Vader doing his thing, K-2SO being the best new character in the film, the cinematography being excellent and all the new planets being a real eye treat, but I didn't feel myself getting as invested in a lot of the other new characters as I did with Rey and Finn in Force Awakens. Jyn and Cassian especially felt really underdeveloped to me and I wish the movie could've taken the time to expand upon them a little more
I wanted to like Finn more than I did, but I can't help but feel like they tried to have their cake and eat it too by humanizing a stormtrooper while still mowing down most of them. Yeah, he was brainwashed and shook off his blinders, but it still kinda felt like a huge disconnect for me. Of course, all stormtroopers are human, even if they don't get lines or show up just to die. Everyone's "Human" in Star Wars, even the aliens. But in all the previous films and in most related media they've always been codified as non-people, thematically and stylistically. We rarely think ill of anyone for killing them, to the point that most prior efforts to humanize them were for the sake of comedy: the beleaguered employee just doing his job, fulfilling his roll as a cog in the system. Like that Austin Powers gag with tearful notices of termination being given to the families of various deceased henchmen. "He had friends on that Death Star, you know."

When they revealed a human being beneath the helmet in the first trailer, I was more interesed by that than anything else they showed us. And Finn's likable enough. I really liked that bit where he crash lands and thinks his friend is dead and puts on his jacket. But he kinda just starts killing other stormtroopers, same as everybody else, including ones who ostensibly recognize him, and the film never really goes "Now hold on a second." I kept waiting for Finn to have that emotional revelation, and he might still in a future movie, but Episode VII felt a little lacking for not having it.

I don't expect the other characters to think much about it or care, but it was weird to me than Finn never hesitated - unless they were gonna go the Hugo Stiglitz route.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I loving love movies and I wish that I got out to see more of them in the big, stupid theater while stuffing popcorn in my mouth that I immediately regret eating because of the greasy feeling it leaves on my teeth.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm really sad I'm not one of the top posters in the Nintendo thread. I'm sorry, Iwata. :negative:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would probably pay ~60 percent of what some of the little local places would charge me to rent out a theater for 4 or 5 friends to get together, watch something we're all familiar with, MST3K it together, and drink some beers. I also love watching a movie a friend has never seen with them and watching their reactions, or just watching a cool, brand new film that nobody has seen and enjoying it, cheering at the good moments and laughing at the jokes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'll probably go to a big film festival next year. I used to go every year in high school/uni and it's a real fast track to finding new favorite directors/national movie-making styles/genres. I miss it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm really sad I'm not one of the top posters in the Nintendo thread. I'm sorry, Iwata. :negative:

you're deffo one of the top posters in my heart

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Blizzard's newest overwatch comic confirmed Tracer as a lesbian and nerds are losing their poo poo over it :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

I'll probably go to a big film festival next year. I used to go every year in high school/uni and it's a real fast track to finding new favorite directors/national movie-making styles/genres. I miss it.

I used to have a group of friend who would meet every month to do dinner and a movie at my place and watch one of the Sundance films of that year with a meal themed to the movie but a bunch of break-ups, in-fighting and career moves made the whole thing fall apart. :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

tap my mountain posted:

Blizzard's newest overwatch comic confirmed Tracer as a lesbian and nerds are losing their poo poo over it :allears:

But that's awesome, why would they be upset about it?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

you're deffo one of the top posters in my heart

:)

tap my mountain posted:

Good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Well I mean she does still wear crocs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bicyclops posted:

I used to have a group of friend who would meet every month to do dinner and a movie at my place and watch one of the Sundance films of that year with a meal themed to the movie but a bunch of break-ups, in-fighting and career moves made the whole thing fall apart. :(
Yeah, that sucks, friends sometimes really grow apart. I had a close group that I did movie marathons with - we would choose a director and watch as many of his/her movies as possible in a short time span. It also fell apart for similar reasons as yours (among other things one friend stole the other one's long-time girlfriend).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tracer?

I barely know 'er!

Haw! Haw! Oh, come on, kids, don't roll your eyes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

Yeah, that sucks, friends sometimes really grow apart. I had a close group that I did movie marathons with - we would choose a director and watch as many of his/her movies as possible in a short time span. It also fell apart for similar reasons as yours.

One of the only terrible things about adulthood is how little time everyone has to get together, because there are tons of people I can conceive of organizing the event with, but coordinating the day of the week each of us actually has time is a herculean effort.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I stopped posting for a long time and Stux is one of the only ones left of the original three who took up most of this thread. Dunno what happened to Taint and Bowen but things seem a little less tense in this relaxed chat thread these days

the good the bad and the uglu

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Blizzard fans are extremely easy to displease more, so than another other gaming community

How does one check their straight male ranking?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
As a straight male who the hell cares.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many male points do I need to make diamond?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My straight maleness ranking took a huge hit when my baseball nickname was "Statue" because I just stood there and got hit by the ball both at bat and in the field.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am glad that Dargonplay has a full fifty thumbs down, and I hope it makes him earn an achievement for "Learned something."

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I pee standing up frequently and I've got a pretty decent accuracy, that's gotta put me mid 60s right?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

drat I need to starting posting in Nintendo threads more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unless you live on the dump where they put all those Atari ET cartridges, you are not a top 500 male gamer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Real frustrated I can't find an image of the mariachi costume behind this anti-games internet filter

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

tap my mountain posted:

Blizzard fans are extremely easy to displease more, so than another other gaming community

How does one check their straight male ranking?
I wouldn't go to the Blizz forum for anything. I mean, that's where the 'I'm not racist but Tyrael shouldn't be black if D3 is a medieval setting' thread and way less subtle versions of it came from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

I wouldn't go to the Blizz forum for anything. I mean, that's where the 'I'm not racist but Tyrael shouldn't be black if D3 is a medieval setting' thread and way less subtle versions of it came from.

What.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did they think that black people were a recent invention?

That they didn't exist in medieval times?

...did they not see Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"His name is Tyrael, not Tyrone" etc etc.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Did they think that black people were a recent invention?

That they didn't exist in medieval times?

...did they not see Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?

Tyrael is an Angel! Even if you believed that it makes no sense!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8HB29R6RBc

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Okay so there's Pincho and Pancho, but where's Tomas Jefferson?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New EDF looking good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: Movietalk, I saw Barton FInk yesterday and it was one helluva movie. John Goodman's one helluva actor.I really need to watch more Coen Bros. films, the only one's I've seen are that and The Big Lebowski.

And The Ladykillers. :downs:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Obviously this wouldn't work on the racists, but I would say that the human form of an angel being in in the image of the first humans makes a lot more sense. I.e. Adam was black.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mordja posted:

Re: Movietalk, I saw Barton FInk yesterday and it was one helluva movie. John Goodman's one helluva actor.I really need to watch more Coen Bros. films, the only one's I've seen are that and The Big Lebowski.

And The Ladykillers. :downs:

Hudsucker Proxy is my favorite coen bros sleeper

ImpAtom posted:

Black people can't be angels its in the bible :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Hudsucker Proxy is my favorite coen bros sleeper

Black people can't be angels its in the bible :shrug:

I mean, it's in the book of Mormon, I think...

• Locked thread