Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1

First RISC-V is silicon about to come out

Admittedly it's only a not-very-impressive microcontroller at the moment (no on-chip flash because patents or some other such issue with the hard IP) but it's still an important milestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i thought risc-v was already in silicon in academia?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also risc-v sucks b/c chisel is a trashfire

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
lol the similar project links

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

hello, old friend :allears:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

also risc-v sucks b/c chisel is a trashfire

as opposed to all those other fantastic hdls such as

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

as opposed to all those other fantastic hdls such as

yes, that is an exhaustive list

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

yes, that is an exhaustive list

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
amazon has instances with fpga now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Corla Plankun posted:

now you can run 68000 code in the cloud!

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

:aaaaa:

Corla Plankun posted:

so i had to look this up and didn't see an immediate answer

are these vms multitenant? can pci-e even support multitenant securely where one of the tenants has complete control of a device on the bus? you can literally make malicious devices to try to escape the hardware protections

of course you'd have to get your design to synthesize in the first place so we have that barrier of time

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Storysmith posted:

:aaaaa:

so i had to look this up and didn't see an immediate answer

are these vms multitenant? can pci-e even support multitenant securely where one of the tenants has complete control of a device on the bus? you can literally make malicious devices to try to escape the hardware protections

of course you'd have to get your design to synthesize in the first place so we have that barrier of time

they're almost certainly not multitenant; lots of 'em just use the hypervisor to kick you out when you're done or if you run out of money

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought embedded development would be covered here but im now dealing with stuff like "AWT IoT Node.js SDK for Embedded Devices"

I guess im in webdev now :rip:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fun fact: you do not need a hardware fpu for javascript

it's exactly as slow as you'd think

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

last time i saw a javascript on the embedded thing it had a significant performance sensitivity to whitespace and comments in the source

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

that's espruino

it's almost as fast as ENIAC, but not quite. source of much amusement at work when it we learned of it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

last time i saw a javascript on the embedded thing it had a significant performance sensitivity to whitespace and comments in the source

this is not a problem unique to embedded javascript

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

fun fact: you do not need a hardware fpu for javascript

it's exactly as slow as you'd think

but... but... doesn't js store all numbers as floats?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

you can do float ops just fine with integers. it justs takes thousands of cycles :newlol:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

it's something the newbie programmers do all the time at work. write some formula using doubles then compile it for a Cortex M0 which not only has no FPU, but no divider and no count-leading-zero instruction.

this kills the dog

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i actually had to spec out a dog wearable and they were insistent on it being a M4 or better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

but... but... doesn't js store all numbers as floats?

yes

the poor arm926ej doesn't know what hit it

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/jawbone-up24-firmware-update-boosts-battery-life-to-14-days

Software-implemented floating point is slow and bad. That firmware update switched from floating point to fixed point math (on an MSP430 without an FPU) and doubled the device's battery life.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

msp430s are insanely anemic. do they make any without the hw multiplier? cause if so that's gotta be the posest pos there is

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i will never understand what the "msp432" line is trying to appeal to

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

aren't they just yet another cortex m4?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
looks like a m4 yeah

probably marketing execs convinced they'll retain more msp430 customers who want to migrate to an arm by giving them the warm fuzzy feeling of a familiar product name

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

msp430s are insanely anemic. do they make any without the hw multiplier? cause if so that's gotta be the posest pos there is

FRAM seems cool though? don't they use practically no power?

(then again so do M0s)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol where did those crazy As come from

yeah FRAM is cool but also the one time I used an fram part it was an absolute piece of poo poo so lol

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

before you slam it, fram it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I am not a framer

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

we're just testing out a fram drop in replacement for some eeprom chip and it's going well. blowing the minds of the guys responsible for the amazing page write implementation that updates a byte on a page, commits it, updates the next byte, commits that, etc. guess why we need an fram part?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

yeah, i used a MSP430G2553, no hw multiplier

the junior dev was working on something and tried to slow it down, like sending every 5th sample or something, but it ended up going extremely slow.

root caused to his test loop, he'd written it as
code:
i++;
if(i%5==0)
     send_sample();
that % op was taking significantly more time than collecting the sample or UART, so instead of 1/5th the sample rate it was 1/100 or so

BobHoward posted:

msp430 customers who want to migrate to an arm by giving them the warm fuzzy feeling of a familiar product name
lol those guys, with that motivation, in your kitchen, at this time of year?!?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

can you believe we used to do floating point arithmetic on a 6502 running at 1.023 MHz?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it always seems crazy that those old computers didn't always have an fpu coprocessor installed

JawnV6 posted:

yeah, i used a MSP430G2553, no hw multiplier

the junior dev was working on something and tried to slow it down, like sending every 5th sample or something, but it ended up going extremely slow.

code:
i++;
if(i%5==0)
     send_sample();

that % op was taking significantly more time than collecting the sample or UART, so instead of 1/5th the sample rate it was 1/100 or so

lol those guys, with that motivation, in your kitchen, at this time of year?!?

do you use fizzbuzz in the interview process? :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

do you use fizzbuzz in the interview process? :v:

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 6, 2017

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

JawnV6 posted:

code:
i++;
if(i%5==0)
     send_sample();

i remember a couple of years ago trying to implement a uint16->decimal conversion function for displaying a value on an LCD on a PIC16

iirc for 10-bit ADC values it was around 10x faster to just subtract 1000s, 100s etc. down to 0 than doing even a single modulo operation

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

hobbesmaster posted:

it always seems crazy that those old computers didn't always have an fpu coprocessor installed

it's like how nowadays you expect every car to have air conditioning, even cheap models

in the 80s it was a luxury

:iiaca:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Are there any EU individual bit janitors in here who would be willing to buy something from exp-tech.de and ship it to the United States? They are the only vendor I can find who has the Mojo FPGA servo shield in stock, but they won't take my drat money. Well, them and someone out of India who wants to charge far more than the part costs in shipping.

Alternatively, if someone knows of a new Mojo servo shield (I'm not too excited about buying used) that can find its own way to the US without manual intervention, that would be cool, too.

I'm happy to cover all purchase and shipping costs, obviously. PM me to set stuff up.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Hey Harik, we found a cheaper chip for our embedded linux, it's the N32905. You don't have a problem making our GUI app with networking portions work on a 240mhz processor with 32MB RAM, right? Look, it even comes with a linux 2.6.35 BSP ready to go.

But it is used in <list of cheap chinese poo poo>! We should put it in our $600 product!

Just loving kill me. I would have targeted it at an RTOS if they wanted something that size to begin with, but the initial spec was for a tablet-class MCU. Now it's a library-heavy process expecting ~800-1ghz core and ~256mb ram. I used libraries because, hey, guess what, it's just me on this project and I'm not going to write the entire functionality solo.

At least I convinced them to go into production with the current part instead of delaying everything 6 months while I redo it from the ground up. If they didn't go that path I would have simply resigned and let the next sucker clean up the mess.

Now to find out how many libraries are expecting a modern kernel...

It's not too awful, I'm only using 15MB of RAM and I hadn't ever looked into optimizing that since it was way under budget for a quarter gb part. 160 meg virt, but hopefully XIP will work for that. The much slower CPU is painful, since it's doing anti-aliased sprite scaling and fractional pixel placement without a GPU - I'll absolutely have to rewrite that to get more than 5-10 FPS on the UI.

Venting aside, any tips on fast sprite work that doesn't look like complete poo poo? It looks good now, I don't think they'll accept a regression. Already done some of the lowest-hanging optimizations, like detecting nearly-aligned draw and turning it into memcpy(), pre-calculating alpha and supersampling fields etc, but I don't do tons of low-level graphics so I've probably missed something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at that point can't you get m4s that'll be more powerful?

• Locked thread