Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
languages get popular because of the demo code that's above the fold on the landing page of their website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol if you use any language that hasn't been promoted by a third party vendor

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qntm posted:

languages get popular because of the demo code that's above the fold on the landing page of their website

don't forget the logo!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
cute animals on reference book cover

e: swing and a miss:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 20, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Learn You a Plang

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

ynohtna posted:

cute animals on reference book cover

e: swing and a miss:

jesus they are taking the "rustacean" moniker to the grave aren't they

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
it was that or oxidizing octopodes

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
meanwhile, back at the kindergarten:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tef posted:

lisp doesn't have syntax

lisp only has syntax when one lisper is arguing with another lisper why the first lisper's choice of lisps is clearly obviously superior to the second lisper's choice of lisps if you could even call it a lisp in the first place

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hackbunny posted:

Learn You a Plang

is there a decent online python tutorial that uses it on the context of real problems rather than hello world? i feel like i should learn it just to have something popular in my toolbelt but i get so bored with toy stuff.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is there a decent online python tutorial that uses it on the context of real problems rather than hello world? i feel like i should learn it just to have something popular in my toolbelt but i get so bored with toy stuff.

python is used for toy problems though :v:

maybe try pygame tutorials or something? it's used a lot in data science, but that seems to mostly be boiler plate around shoving data into an extant framework.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ynohtna posted:

meanwhile, back at the kindergarten:

we need a :stare: for the gopher

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

tef posted:

thing is no, no force on earth can get people to stop using c++

i think it's a bit naive of rust to think it might attract c++ users

i mean, go thought it was like that too for a bit, until they realised the people picking up Go were mostly C, python and ruby people, the latter two just looking for static binaries and cheap performance

yeah but go is garbage collected so it never really stood a chance

also no generics, how are you supposed to jerk off over making insane template metaprogramming libraries?!

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 20, 2016

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

also no generics, how are you supposed to jerk off over making insane template metaprogramming libraries?!

very carefully

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

HappyHippo posted:

go has generics

it's just limited to array, map, slice, and channel. you didn't need anything more than that did you?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HappyHippo posted:

yeah but go is garbage collected so it never really stood a chance

by writing elisp code generators, duh

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
obviously they don't want generics in go. they have to save something for go++

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
go_further

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tef posted:

lisp doesn't have syntax

lisp had syntax from day 1, some random historical stupidity has just left us writing it in the internal representation. from mccarthy's 1959 paper:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

we need a for the gopher

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lisp had syntax from day 1, some random historical stupidity has just left us writing it in the internal representation. from mccarthy's 1959 paper:

yes m-expressions were not implemented from day #1

lisp has no syntax

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao we covered lisp in high school and I still get can't over the fact that people choose to use it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HappyHippo posted:

yeah but go is garbage so it never really stood a chance

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BiohazrD posted:

lmao we covered lisp in high school and I still get can't over the fact that people choose to use it
"it has a REPL! it has a REPL!" i continue to insist as i vanish in a cloud of yak hair

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BiohazrD posted:

apparently i went to a lovely high school

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Thermopyle posted:

apparently i went to a lovely high school

same, we used c++

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lisp is great. common lisp may be the most well conceived language standard ever. it is one thing to put it in correct historic perspective of no longer being relevant, but we would have done fine with cl in place of java at the core of modern software

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

also that

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I went to a golang meetup the other day and almost went the whole time without bringing up generics but then somebody showed some code they wrote that had the same for loop written 3 times.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

sarehu posted:

I went to a golang meetup the other day and almost went the whole time without bringing up generics but then somebody showed some code they wrote that had the same for loop written 3 times.

go on

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

what rich loving high schools had programming courses.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
mine but it was in java so I didn't bother v:v:v

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lisp is great. common lisp may be the most well conceived language standard ever. it is one thing to put it in correct historic perspective of no longer being relevant, but we would have done fine with cl in place of java at the core of modern software

nah. you would not be able to achieve the useful library density of java in a lisp

witness: the fact that there is no useful library density in any lisp, despite having literally twenty years of development head start

ultimately it's a plang no matter the cute syntax

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dad is a high school music teacher but he took a class in BASIC in 1982 so a few years ago they made him teach a programming class using vb6. lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
talkin' gc and slammin' go

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Also I got chansplained at.

It's like something about the way I act makes people think I'm retarded.

I couldn't get through the entire thing without trash-talking Rob Pike either.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Beamed posted:

what rich loving high schools had programming courses.
mine covered qbasic in two separate years (grade 10, grade 12) and that was in 2002-3 and 2004-5 :eng99:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yikes

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

nah. you would not be able to achieve the useful library density of java in a lisp

witness: the fact that there is no useful library density in any lisp, despite having literally twenty years of development head start

ultimately it's a plang no matter the cute syntax

daaaang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->