Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GramCracker posted:

The Italian version of Motorsport.com has an article stating that Are Ron and some Chinese lenders are making a bid to buy Manor

Supposedly the Chicken Expert from Indonesia is a part of that investment group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

Supposedly the Chicken Expert from Indonesia is a part of that investment group.

They won't be able to compete in the US then without paying an extra tax.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alain Post posted:

Project Five?
So he can call the car MP5/1

I wouldn't say it's "good for sport" but Toyota #5 at the end of Le Mans this year was entertaining as hell. I still can't believe that happened. And neither can the really old Japanese guys who were standing in the garage at the time.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
The fastest car should win all the races, unexpected events are not a fun or interesting part of sport. Life is completely fair 100% of the time and the same should also apply to F1.

- A literal robot

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wouldn't say it's "good for sport" but Toyota #5 at the end of Le Mans this year was entertaining as hell. I still can't believe that happened. And neither can the really old Japanese guys who were standing in the garage at the time.

I'm still pissed at the ACO for dicking over Toyota like that. I'm completely cool with Toyota not finishing first (it's 24 hours, not 23:50 hours long), but arbitrarily stripping them of their position because ~reasons~ (not to mention they conveniently ignored that rule when it was a French maker) is dumb.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

God bless that one old Japanese dude that looked like he wanted to kill himself live on TV, that dude melted my heart.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

God bless that one old Japanese dude that looked like he wanted to kill himself live on TV, that dude melted my heart.
How can you tell the difference between an old Japanese dude who's about to fall asleep and one who wants to kill himself?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

You could see it in that dude's eyes. That wasn't exhaustion, he wanted the sweet embrace of death.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

look for the Katana to be sure

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought they used short blade weapons for that, like a knife. And then they'd tell Anthony Davidson to behead the guy with a katana at the end of it and he'd be honored to do it and Nando would be jealous of how Japanese Anthony had become.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
That poor dude's back probably snapped from apologizing so much to his bosses back in Japan.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's like what, the 4th time Toyota has blown it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I would actually agree. Le Mans is an endurance race, F1 is not.

poty posted:

The fastest car should win all the races, unexpected events are not a fun or interesting part of sport. Life is completely fair 100% of the time and the same should also apply to F1.

- A literal robot

A McLaren fan, duh

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
So Mercedes are essentially paying atleast 20 million euros for Bottas to drive in 17, assuming the engine discount is only for 1 year and a 3 million wage for Bottas.

Sounds to me like they got absolutely fleeced. Surely that sort of cash could have been used to negotiate Sainz or Perez from their contracts.

They must think really highly of Werhlein if they are paying that much to have him not drive the car.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Timing fell right for Bottas and bad for pascal if the regs werent changing so much they may have been able to have whirline drive the car knowing full well they had enough of an advantage they'd do fine.

However they cannot take that chance on the unkown and Bottas isnt a massive personality but hes able to produce consistant results. He will fit the merc bill of getting alot of podiums.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

So are Mercedes still going to maintain the pretence that it's anyone other than Bottas? They're still saying there'll be no official announcement until next year.

BOLD 2017 PREDICTION: Massa outscores Bottas.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whiirline is too feisty to be a number 2 driver. Lewis would not want a situation where a younger near rookie team mate turned out to be competitive and have Mercedes decide to give them equal status. If I were being extremely cynical I would think that the fact that Whiirline is mixed race might be an issue for Lewis' management, in that Lewis the "Brand" is based entirely around him being black, and they won't want someone with a much better hairline coming along and actually showing up to corporate events and only being seen wearing sponsors clothing.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ms Curve its taken a while, but that was a good post.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgu_XeJnIFQ&t=120s
ON FAIT LA NASCAR
ON FAIT LA NASCAR

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Immediately followed by JPM's jet dryer crash.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm happy to see little Felipe baby coming back, despite the tear drenched farewells at interlagos, it felt like (UK media at least) his retirement was massively overshadowed by Button but jesus christ that is the dullest decision ever.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There wasn't a feasible non-dull option. Williams are the only team Merc could offer enough to part with their #1 driver. Plus we get Flippy back for one more season :unsmith:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Really ruins the whole pit lane honour guard. Ugh.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Script writers at Liberty are going to have a long Christmas trying to write something fun with this roster. Lewis will make an excellent heel I reckon

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah its a shame about the goodbye, but hopefully it makes for a feel-good season for him, he knows he's appreciated and isn't under pressure to get a contract for next year. Plus I can understand Williams wanting some continuity.

If you want to blame someone for loving up the poetry of it, blame Rosberg Jr, Worst WDC

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I disagree, Rosberg trolled Hamilton and denied him the chance to reclaim his title from him and gave the fans the best possible chance for an entertaining off season by peacing out with little notice. If you think Bottas is a boring choice (I don't), then blame Terminator Toto.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Rosberg is a good troll, and Lewis will be Petulance Overdrive next season but the trolls shouldn't win if you want a satisfying ending

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Carth Dookie posted:

I disagree, Rosberg trolled Hamilton and denied him the chance to reclaim his title from him

A lot of American sports have a PPV special just for this type of event....:just saying

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

simplefish posted:

Yeah its a shame about the goodbye, but hopefully it makes for a feel-good season for him, he knows he's appreciated and isn't under pressure to get a contract for next year. Plus I can understand Williams wanting some continuity.

If you want to blame someone for loving up the poetry of it, blame Rosberg Jr, Worst WDC

Counterpoint - Rosberg has opened the door for Williams to put a competitive aero package together and Massa to recapture form now he's no longer under any pressure.

That's right: Felipe Massa WDC 2017, beating Hamilton at the last corner for the title.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I didn't have any particular feelings for or against Massa coming back but now I'm in favour.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I disagree, Rosberg trolled Hamilton and denied him the chance to reclaim his title from him and

You were the friend in the group who won Street Fighter one time then refused any rematches and claimed you were the best, weren't you?

Anyone with any sense can see Rosberg peaced out because he realised one title was all he would get. He wouldn't be "retiring on top" if he thought he was a multi-WDC to be.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Also I want the thread to be ready for next year, so my bold prediction is a lot of

BUTT-rear end

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

You were the friend in the group who won Street Fighter one time then refused any rematches and claimed you were the best, weren't you?

It was Mortal Kombat 2 and I was. :colbert:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

BOLD PREDICTION

Williams to reach MAS-STRONOMICAL NEW HEIGHTS in 2017

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
This is almost confirmed... so it's utter bollocks right? Quantum money coming in anytime now?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AMuS is reporting the 2017 cars will have shark fin engine covers.......................

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

wicka posted:

AMuS is reporting the 2017 cars will have shark fin engine covers.......................

poo poo. Might as well bring back the dicknose then.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
In truth the dicknoses never left, they just made them into micropenis dicknoses and camouflaged them somewhat

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RIP F1 car design.

Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Everything else this sport has done the past few years has been shambolic so why not the new rules as well?

• Locked thread