Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lunar Suite posted:

Ich trinke nicht. :smith:

Do you know who else didn't drink? That's right, Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I seriously doubt you can rationally choose to hate "the right way", because hate, by definition, is an irrational emotion. I'm not taking any moral high ground here, like saying I don't hate things or whatever, but one should accept that they do not, in fact, have control over their feelings. What you can definitely do is react to the way you feel, and I judge people by these reactions.
Fear of change, for example, is natural and excusable, but we should be strong enough to overcome it, to suppress it or to channel it into inspiration for guiding inevitable changes into a direction we want, not let the fear overtake us and go into full-blown panic.

The same is true for hatred. It's normal to hate individuals, but it's your choice to tone it down to a level you're comfortable with, or do something to redirect the hate (for example fight for them to never get into power [again]), or let it escalate and call for the death of yes, humans, on an internet forum. It should be clear how I judge these reactions.

Fyi: I'm not currently doing anything, my solution is fatalism (can't do much anyway so why bother getting too upset) and optimism (things will change for the better) paired with stubbornness (and if they won't, I'll make them, somehow).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I am curious what your definition of hate is. Because I cannot really see hate being irrational by necessity.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Hatred isn't by definition irrational, and in general rationality and objectivity are super handwavey concepts anyway.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I don't think that hating someone or something necessarily constitutes a moral failure, but that more often than not hatred is psychologically unhealthy and, when directed towards people, even dangerous. This depends on how you define “hate“, of course.

e: this is a really good discussion by the way, and even the shitposts were funny, good show everyone! :)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 20, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

i don't think emotions carry moral value at all actually. i think actions do.

Emotions come first, though. Emotions induce actions. No one actually rationally decides to act, people only ever use rational thought to justify themselves after the fact. So therefore emotions really do carry moral value. Just maybe a bit less than actually acting on your violent impulses.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Hatred is a very powerful tool to unite a group of individuals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Bundesanwaltschaft just released a statement that the Pakistani guy is not the terrorist.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

The Bundesanwaltschaft just released a statement that the Pakistani guy is not the terrorist.

I hope the guy who stalked him from the Christmas market and called cops to catch him gets awarded a medal. Made of poo poo. So much police time wasted following a red herring while the killer is on loose...

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

Emotions come first, though. Emotions induce actions. No one actually rationally decides to act, people only ever use rational thought to justify themselves after the fact. So therefore emotions really do carry moral value. Just maybe a bit less than actually acting on your violent impulses.

The bolded bit doesn't follow. Emotions can be the reason for an action, that doesn't by itself mean that the reason rather than the action carries moral value. Of course, at the end of the day there's no fact of the matter to these questions, we're just telling stories about how value judgments come to pass. I just happen to like my story more than yours.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Randler posted:

I am curious what your definition of hate is. Because I cannot really see hate being irrational by necessity.
Well, I cannot quite grasp the idea of a "rational hatred". What would that be, the response to your kid getting murdered by someone? I'd say the hatred you feel against the murderer is a logical consequence, a completely natural thing and nothing to condemn, but it's still irrational. In fact, it makes you irrational. If you were purely rational, your only response would be "well, my kid is dead now and that's not something I can change, so I guess I should make sure to get that guy locked up so he doesn't murder any more kids". Or something. Even caring about other kids might be irrational if you think (and only think) far enough.

Of course, that would also be completely un-human of you, we need reason and emotion to make us what we are. But I do see them as complete opposites.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

i think this whole determinism debate is fraught with category mistakes and unclear concepts, but we should probably take it to PMs if you're interested in debating that further.
It seems to me thread consensus is this is an interesting topic to discuss, right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

The bolded bit doesn't follow. Emotions can be the reason for an action, that doesn't by itself mean that the reason rather than the action carries moral value. Of course, at the end of the day there's no fact of the matter to these questions, we're just telling stories about how value judgments come to pass. I just happen to like my story more than yours.

It follows because without emotions, there would be no action. So how can emotions not carry moral value?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Simply Simon posted:

I seriously doubt you can rationally choose to hate "the right way", because hate, by definition, is an irrational emotion. I'm not taking any moral high ground here, like saying I don't hate things or whatever, but one should accept that they do not, in fact, have control over their feelings.
I can perfectly well control my feelings, including my hatred. For example, I could now watch anti-islamic propaganda, read up accounts by women attacked during Cologne's NYE celebrations, suicide bomb attack survivors, ISIS propaganda, and islamists laughing at their victims. If I did that for a while, I'd get pretty depressed, but I'd also probably feel hatred. Alternatively, I could read buddhist literature, meditate, and constantly remind myself that we are all just the unlucky products of our genes and our environments, that I too might have done terrible things had I been born into Nazi Germany or a Palestinian camp*, and then I would probably feel much less hatred.
Now preexisting hatred might make it harder to chose the latter option, but there is a perfectly clear causal chain between a person's actions and a person's hatred here.

* Not trying to say these two are perfect analogies, just that they both tend to make young people do violent things

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

It seems to me thread consensus is this is an interesting topic to discuss, right?

It is interesting but a complete derail, since it has nothing to do with German politics or news. If you want you can start a thread here or in the academics/philosophy subforum, but I don't think it fits here. The discussion is too huge and too complicated to be done with in a page or two.

Libluini posted:

It follows because without emotions, there would be no action. So how can emotions not carry moral value?

Arson depends on matches (or other fire starting equipment), doesn't mean that matches are immoral. The main problem I see is this: emotions / intentions are opaque, meaning if I want to know what you're feeling I have very little to go on outside of what you're telling me about your feelings. That makes value attributions obviously difficult. You might counter and say that people perform their emotions, i.e. they cry out when they feel pain or shout when they are angry. But crying / shouting are actions, not emotions. It seems to me that actions are the only thing that you can use to influence the world, and that they are the only things I can be reasonably sure about, so I prefer to think about moral judgments in terms of actions rather than emotions. This has several pragmatic benefits as well, i.e. I don't have to care whether deep down inside you truly hate black people, I only have to check whether your actions systematically negatively impact them to call you a racist.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

It is interesting but a complete derail, since it has nothing to do with German politics or news. If you want you can start a thread here or in the academics/philosophy subforum, but I don't think it fits here. The discussion is too huge and too complicated to be done with in a page or two.

Arson depends on matches (or other fire starting equipment), doesn't mean that matches are immoral. The main problem I see is this: emotions / intentions are opaque, meaning if I want to know what you're feeling I have very little to go on outside of what you're telling me about your feelings. That makes value attributions obviously difficult. You might counter and say that people perform their emotions, i.e. they cry out when they feel pain or shout when they are angry. But crying / shouting are actions, not emotions. It seems to me that actions are the only thing that you can use to influence the world, and that they are the only things I can be reasonably sure about, so I prefer to think about moral judgments in terms of actions rather than emotions. This has several pragmatic benefits as well, i.e. I don't have to care whether deep down inside you truly hate black people, I only have to check whether your actions systematically negatively impact them to call you a racist.

Well, you could jack needles into people and try to find out what level of drugs produced by our glands matches what kind of emotional state, but I think most people wouldn't like that. There's also some work done with mapping brain activity to certain states. Though a lot of this is just guessing games mixed with really simple stuff like "if your brain stops producing drug A, you will feel depressed".

But just because all that stuff is hard to measure, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I know this is more like philosophy at this point, so I suggest we drop this derail before we both start out researching stuff to bombard each other with sources. :v:

Edit:

quote:

Arson depends on matches (or other fire starting equipment), doesn't mean that matches are immoral.

This part is invalid. Emotions are not actual physical objects separate from our bodies, they are states induced by our bodies. But sure, they have a lot less moral relevance than the actions they trigger. Just not zero.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 20, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

Well, you could jack needles into people and try to find out what level of drugs produced by our glands matches what kind of emotional state, but I think most people wouldn't like that. There's also some work done with mapping brain activity to certain states. Though a lot of this is just guessing games mixed with really simple stuff like "if your brain stops producing drug A, you will feel depressed".

But just because all that stuff is hard to measure, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I know this is more like philosophy at this point, so I suggest we drop this derail before we both start out researching stuff to bombard each other with sources. :v:

Yeah, sorry about that, haha. I actually work in academic philosophy, so this stuff sometimes just creeps in. Generally I try to keep it down :shobon:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I don't care to discuss all of this on a, well, high-falutin' level.

All i know is:

1. It is great and super useful for one's own mental health to recognize when something is entirely outside of one's control, and to be able to accept it as how the world is.
2. It is very very valuable to be able to understand and empathize with the most horrid of people, just to have the tools at hand when they might be willing to listen.
3. It is necessary to understand that sometimes people are beyond words, even if you completely understand the sordid path that made them and feel sorry for them.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
So I heard the suspect has been released and I'd likely innocent?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

So I heard the suspect has been released and I'd likely innocent?

Yeah, the Pakistani turned out to be a red herring and had nothing to do with the attack.

Police is now saying that there is a possibility that the attacker might still be out there, whatever the gently caress that means. Maybe they are also investigating the possibility that trucks have become self-aware and are trying to kill all humans?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You didn't link to your source, so i can only guess, but my guess is if they said something roughly like what you said, they meant "in berlin".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Haunted truck killing its driver and going on a murder spree would be a pretty :2016: scenario...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Haunted truck killing its driver and going on a murder spree would be a pretty :2016: scenario...

If you haven't seen "Maximum Overdrive," boy, are you in for a treat!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Die unsäglichen Reaktionen der AfD heute sind unglaublich vorhersehbar. Poggenburg hat richtig Spaß auf Twitter.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Es ist ihr Geschäftsmodell / zentraler Bestandteil ihres Weltbilds. Klar holen sie da das Maximum raus / beschäftigt sie das. Anschläge sind für die AfD was Schmelzrunter für Grüne sind.

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
Die CSU ist auch fleißig mit dabei.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Welp, apparently it was a Tunisian and they're looking for him throughout the country now.

Otoh they only “know“ this because they found his asylum papers underneath the driver's seat, which sounds skeevy as hell to me. Why would the attacker even carry his papers with him? This is either the IS demonstrating that they managed to get one of their own into Germany as a refugee or someone trying to deflect the blame by putting in stolen papers as a red herring imo. Probably the former though :smith:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Welp, apparently it was a Tunisian and they're looking for him throughout the country now.

Otoh they only “know“ this because they found his asylum papers underneath the driver's seat, which sounds skeevy as hell to me. Why would the attacker even carry his papers with him? This is either the IS demonstrating that they managed to get one of their own into Germany as a refugee or someone trying to deflect the blame by putting in stolen papers as a red herring imo. Probably the former though :smith:

Yeah, didn't a similar thing happen with the Paris attacks, where a fake refugee-status passport was planted very conspicuously by the attackers?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

This "ISIS only sends their agents as refugees to demonstrate that they can get into Germany as refugees even though they have better options" argument is very unconvinced. First of all, there is the question whether this guy was even explicitly sent by ISIS or if he radicalized once he was in Germany. Second, we don't know whether he was actually handled by ISIS or just followed their call to action. Third, you just assume that the papers were placed there on purpose to be found, there are multiple reasons why he might have had them with him (e.g. to show them to police if he were to be controlled before taking over the truck).

But sure, it's all an ISIS plan to anti refugee sentiments, which absolutely relies on those papers being found.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, didn't a similar thing happen with the Paris attacks, where a fake refugee-status passport was planted very conspicuously by the attackers?

In Paris a fake passport was found, but this passport was not faked to look like a refugee, but to be used to get to France by a terrorist posing as refugee. That's an important difference.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 21, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Or maybe just an honest mistake, things didn't go as planned and he panicked. Maybe he carried papers in case police came asking questions while he was looking for a Polish truck to hijack. He didn't expect to get away alive, but then after the crash lost his nerve and escaped, leaving some belongings to the truck. That would seem like a more natural explanation.

Or maybe the truck hit a Tunisian asylum seeker who was selling christmas trees and by some massive fluke his wallet flew through the broken windshield and slipped under the driver's seat...

But yeah, theories are theories, let's hope the person is found soon whoever he really is.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

it's all an ISIS plan to anti refugee sentiments
While the facets you talk about are sensible, this interpretation of what he said is straight-up idiotic and not remotely what he said. Stop being such a dumb poo poo.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What I find puzzling is why they held the first guy for almost a day when they had this Tunisian guy's document. Unless it took them that long to find the document.

Btw I can't stop thinking about the Polish truck driver either. Apparently he might even have been alive during the attack and grabbed the steering wheel, and been shot only at the very end. Jesus loving Christ

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I would suppose then that the Polish driver was being held hostage and forced to drive to the location and once he got there and realised the intent tried to fight back and was unfortunately killed. Driving a big truck like that requires a certain level of skill which the assailant may not have had.

Can't think of any other reason the Polish driver would have been alive and in the truck during the attack.

I'm not exactly confident in anything the German police have to say at this point though, considering it apparently took them this long to look under the drivers seat. Another super obvious clue might become apparent at any time eg the asylum papers being fake or something.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is a disturbing lack of afd kotze in this thread

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Flayer posted:

I would suppose then that the Polish driver was being held hostage and forced to drive to the location and once he got there and realised the intent tried to fight back and was unfortunately killed. Driving a big truck like that requires a certain level of skill which the assailant may not have had.

Can't think of any other reason the Polish driver would have been alive and in the truck during the attack.

I'm not exactly confident in anything the German police have to say at this point though, considering it apparently took them this long to look under the drivers seat. Another super obvious clue might become apparent at any time eg the asylum papers being fake or something.

The Polish man wasn't alive during the attack. He was found shot in the passenger seat, I don't know if you have ever tried to move a dead 120kg trucker body around in a truck cabin but I can tell you it ain't easy. Someone would surely have noticed if it had happened near the market.

We also don't know when the police found the papers. All we know is that they released the information today. Here's some factors to consider:

- looking through a cramped truck cabin for evidence is a slow job because only one man will fit in from either side, and any fiber or stain could be evidence and after a crash there'd also be lots of debris to sort through - it isn't like searching for lost car keys under your sofa

- once the papers were found the police still had to check if the name and photo are authentic (there's news that he was using "at least two" false identities)

- once the name was determined there's still the possibility that the police didn't want to immediately release it to the public to not alert the terrorist

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

One hot take I've seen in the comments sections about the papers is that they were deliberately planted there, because it was a false flag attack, orchestrated by... you guessed it, Russia.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Smirr posted:

One hot take I've seen in the comments sections about the papers is that they were deliberately planted there, because it was a false flag attack, orchestrated by... you guessed it, Russia.

It was Putin's retaliation to the NATO false flag attack against Russian ambassador

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Ugh

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

That's pretty sickening.

Adbot