Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Subyng posted:

Wait, I don't understand why tvtropes is supposed to be bad?

TV Tropes started as a rather normal website that just tried to catalog tropes in a fun way, putting words to all those common... Tropes.

It was taken over by autists. Or, as Cracked (of all things) explains:

quote:

That's from their Misaimed Fandom" page, which describes whenever a text accidentally earns a fanbase that it shouldn't have for one reason or another, because gently caress the word "trope" and what it actually means. Now. If I can give advice to some of the people who are reading my articles, please go have lives outside of this stuff. Get context for the art you consume. Go ride your bike, or hit on someone and get rejected, or break into an abandoned farmhouse to smoke weed, or get in a fight with someone in real life -- because, if you don't, you're going to end up like the deranged basement goblin who thinks that people gently caress to Seth Rogen.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-websites-that-are-clearly-f2123king-with-me_p2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If anything it's actually gotten way, way better over time. It started out gross and full of pedophiles, useless tropes, and miscatagorized examples, but now...well, it's only really gotten rid of the first problem, but it's still doing better on the other two, too. That's why there aren't any mock threads for it anymore.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The "Troper Tales" period was the worst. Then the king weirdo of creep mountain Fast Eddie said "gently caress this gently caress all of you" and deleted ALL of that poo poo and threatened to ban anyone who tried to start it back up.

Things got better from there. The forums are a brown sea of weeaboo juice though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I really do love the Plinkett Trek reviews. I wish he'd drop in on some of the shittiest episodes of Trek, but it wouldn't be the same.

Also MisterBibs I'm sure people other than me have wound you up about this, but the prequel reviews were sort of predicated on disappointment, sure. In reality, they spend most of the time just saying how lovely they were as movies on their own. Which is very true.

But I'll tell you what really bothers me...

It's them GREEN PLASTIC DRUM CYMBALS!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only Star Trek reviews I care about are the TNG reviews done by the guys On the Greatest Generation Podcast.

And All Iknow about TV Tropes is from the old mock threads that were mostly filled with posts about people who had ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL about a school for magic that has houses and a kid named Betty Cobbler is the chosen one, no it's not like Harry Potter at all! Or Sci Fi stories were everyone talks in very mechanical ways or the totally not Japanese aliens have a discussion about honour in a field of cherry blossoms. Or what I found offensive, people using their fanfictions to create tropes so they could have the credit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Humans are incredibly lame in the future, so obviously they'd drink root beer and nothing more exotic.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm more interested in if they're drinking A&W or Barq's.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

forums are a brown sea of weeaboo juice though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

dont even fink about it posted:

TV Tropes started as a rather normal website that just tried to catalog tropes in a fun way, putting words to all those common... Tropes.

It was taken over by autists. Or, as Cracked (of all things) explains:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-websites-that-are-clearly-f2123king-with-me_p2/

I never get invited to All Night Sex Parties. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

Not Barq's, what are you a madman?

Synthaffeine is strong enough for anyone.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
Just watched ENT "The Expanse" and man, what a tonal shift that was. I mean I get they are pissed about the attack and all that but the show went from "We're exploring with occasional fights" to "Grimdark WAR!" I almost expected NPH to show up and start doing ESP on giant bugs or something.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey, is that show "The Expanse" any good?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tikifire posted:

Just watched ENT "The Expanse" and man, what a tonal shift that was. I mean I get they are pissed about the attack and all that but the show went from "We're exploring with occasional fights" to "Grimdark WAR!" I almost expected NPH to show up and start doing ESP on giant bugs or something.

Not enough Space Nazis (in space) for you in Trek? Just wait...

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Enterprise retooled every season, the surest sign of a failing TV show, but it didn't hit gold until season 4 by which time it was already doomed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Astroman posted:

I never get invited to All Night Sex Parties. :(

John Hodgemen always sends me snapchats from his sex parties, with masks. He's just laughing at me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

Am I the only one who finds it really dense? Like there's so much going on and it's so complicated and there's so many characters, I feel like I've plunged into Season 3 of a show at random or something. I want to like it, but it doesn't draw me right in like other shows do.

:shrug:

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Enterprise retooled every season, the surest sign of a failing TV show, but it didn't hit gold until season 4 by which time it was already doomed.
That's kind of sad.

Not sure what you guys were making fun of up there. Did I mess up a naming convention or something?. Please enlighten me if so.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Humans are incredibly lame in the future, so obviously they'd drink root beer and nothing more exotic.

Hu-mons drink the hell out of some synthehol, but the Ferengi invented that so Quark's not about to shame them for it

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Phimosissy posted:

Not Barq's, what are you a madman?

Synthaffeine is strong enough for anyone.

Barq's Has Bite, something the Federation desperately needs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phy posted:

Hu-mons drink the hell out of some synthehol, but the Ferengi invented that so Quark's not about to shame them for it
Maybe it's some kind of Starfleet Academy thing. The Root beer business, I mean.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Voyager, one of the Vulcan crew started going through pon farr and infected Torres so now she's going through it as well. She and Paris get trapped in a cave and Paris spends the whole episode trying to fend her off because it would be wrong to take advantage of her at this time. At the end Tuvok shows up and its like "no way, you gotta bang the crazy outta her." He and Chakotay go hide behind some bushes to give them privacy but luckily the crazy Vulcan shows up and they resolve it through a lame fight scene.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

While watching through TNG I tried not to let the science get in the way of enjoying the show. I'll make a few jokes about how silly something is, but it doesn't have to be 100% realistic to be entertaining.

But Genesis is inexcusably bad. Holy poo poo. This episode is worse than Sub Rosa for me.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Genesis makeup, acting, and lighting was hella good tho. I loved Ogawa's subtle orangutan arms. They wanted to descend spider-Broccoli from a cable like a web, but they ran out of budget/time.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Genesis is a top five nonsensically dumb but amazing Star Trek episode

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delsaber posted:

Barqs is good and mixable with whiskey, but my favorite was always Weinhard's.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There it is. The Star Trek thread has been reduced to discussing which sort of root beer is preferable.

Even if every episode of Discovery is worse than the worst episode of Voyager, at least we'll have something new to talk about.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The correct answer is birch beer, actually.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Zurui posted:

There it is. The Star Trek thread has been reduced to discussing which sort of root beer is preferable.

Even if every episode of Discovery is worse than the worst episode of Voyager, at least we'll have something new to talk about.

I like a good Sioux City Sasparilla myself.

Back to the topic, what's with all the space Nazis in Enterprise? Were Berman and Braga on some sort of Hitler kick in the early 2000's or what?

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 21, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

...is that his real voice? He's not putting on a stereotypical 'nerd voice' there?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

...is that his real voice? He's not putting on a stereotypical 'nerd voice' there?

That's Mike Stoklasa's character Harry S Plinkett, or Mr Plinkett.

Depending on the situation, he's an elderly serial-killing diabetic, with a subplot in the prequel reviews involving a kidnapped hooker. Also pizza rolls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TheBigAristotle posted:

That's Mike Stoklasa's character Harry S Plinkett, or Mr Plinkett.

Depending on the situation, he's an elderly serial-killing diabetic, with a subplot in the prequel reviews involving a kidnapped hooker. Also pizza rolls.

I'm sure there's a reason why people take this guy's opinions seriously, watch his hour-long youtube videos, and fête him for years as a true nerd icon, but this post sure doesn't help me put it together.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

skasion posted:

I'm sure there's a reason why people take this guy's opinions seriously, watch his hour-long youtube videos, and fête him for years as a true nerd icon, but this post sure doesn't help me put it together.

He didn't like Star Wars so they worshipped his disgusting rape fantasy series.

Like, no joke, the Plinkett reviews are basically an exercise in how loving terrible nerd fandom is. Yeah I'm watching a dude overacting and pretending to be a serial killer/rapist with a woman locked up in his house, but man look at that insight about Star Wars.

Its really gross.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Like, no joke, the Plinkett reviews are basically an exercise in how loving terrible nerd fandom is. Yeah I'm watching a dude overacting and pretending to be a serial killer/rapist with a woman locked up in his house, but man look at that insight about Star Wars.

Its really gross.

You must be fun at parties.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WampaLord posted:

You must be fun at parties.

Yeah, jokes about rape are hilarious. :cripes:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 21, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Its really gross.

That first sentence might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums. He didn't like the Star Wars prequels and goes into humorous detail for several hours as to exactly why. He also couches it in the setting of a creepy murderer, which just lends to the absurdity of it all.

It's not real, and you are a humorless babby. I honestly would not want to live in a world that was tailored to your no-doubt wacky and hilarious sense of what is and is not appropriate.

Also, to make this more thread-appropriate, I listened to The Greatest Generation podcast last night, it's pretty interesting, definitely will be checking out more in the future. Unless they make a joke that offends me, then I'm going to cross my arms and huff a lot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's weird to see people get up in arms over slightly edgy humor on these forums, but hey, different strokes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

It's weird to see people get up in arms over slightly edgy humor on these forums, but hey, different strokes.

Don't you see? Laughing at jokes means you're going to commit crimes, duh. Just like video games make people murder, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Mister Adequate posted:

This here novel has a Federation-esque Humanity that does that kind of stuff. Well, they're sort of a Federation moving gradually moving towards the Culture.

Full disclosure: I wrote that novel.

I would like to recommend this book to the thread. It is good.