Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

TheAgent posted:

this build wasn't ready and should not have been deployed

in october and november I mentioned there was a huge debate between chris and the lower employees about not releasing 2.6 this year and just wrapping up a bunch of features into 3.0

2.5.x or whatever would have made some changes to AC, flight model, and FPS but kept core functionality the same

I was sure that he'd take the advice of people who actually knew what the state of the game was, but no, he went and did dumb chris roberts poo poo like release a broken, unstable build close to xmas

people will be working through the weekend and next week and the week after to get this poo poo running

the thing is, they can't. everything, everything about this patch is a broken mess. I hope they take it one step further and slam it into the PU as is

I'd say an honest actual release of this, going at current rates, was prob march or later in 2017

how players who paid for this poo poo aren't up in arms about the state of their space game, I dunno

They did this poo poo with 2.4. Half the features were missing and it was dire but they pushed that poo poo to Live anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

CIG employee actually appears on reddit to answer a bug question. Tells citizen to reboot his computer.

"Turn it off and back on again"

lols

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

2.6.0lis out All this for 12 GBs lol

Also "a number". One, maybe zero as that's technically a number. They also introduced some new ones.

Lemme format that for you:

1. Fixed a number of issues with ship loadout management in the new frontend UI, including crashes.
  2. Fixed a number of minor graphical issues in and around the Caterpillar.
  3. Fixed a number of issues with the new frontend UI. •These include a number of lobby crashes and numerous graphical issues.

4. Fixed a number of client and server crashes in Star Marine, Crusader and Arena Commander.

[Update]: We are aware that a large number of players are experiencing code 30000 and 10002 errors.

While this new instability is unfortunate please try and play as much as you can so we can gather as much data on these issues as possible! Thanks!

5. Be advised that, in order to receive new lobby invites, you will need to restart the client after every match.
  6. New! Spamming “apply to ship” in ship customization will strip all items off the ship.
  7. Star Marine Leaderboards are not in-game this build.
  8. Our planned Electronic Access improvements for sequential map loading (“mega map”) are not in this build.
  9. Scan is not complete, please refrain from using it (“Tab” key on default keybindings).
  10. Missile rebalance is ongoing.
  11. Flight Balance Changes to include Acceleration, Afterburner, Boost, Fuel Rates, and Jerk are ongoing.
  12. Workaround for Front End UI Issues: Either use the old UI (ui_frontend.startup_mode = 0) OR on the main menu hit the “Escape” key and then “Go To Hangar”. Once loaded into the Hangar, you can use the Elevator to connect to Crusader or ArcCorp

No more than 1GB per bullet point

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Tippis posted:

So, doors are controlled client-side and the animations are culled in such a way that they don't run through their movements properly, apparently…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXt2PHcOyo

That this bug could even exist is an achievement in ignorance on CIG's part.

Ah, but this is not a bug, Great Chris Roberts-Sama want us, the players, to witness every nanosecond of his masterpiece.

And attention is MANDATORY, for the BEST drat USELESS SPACE WHATEVER GAME EVER to actually work.

Besides, if a door opens on a spaceship, and nothing sees it? Has it actually opened? No.

Chris Roberts-CHAN is a visionary prophet!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

"Turn it off and back on again"

lols

https://twitter.com/George_CIG/status/811526350460882944

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lemme format that for you:

No more than 1GB per bullet point
That's a big improvement.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Clifford_Miku/status/811588959566516224

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

the thing is, they can't. everything, everything about this patch is a broken mess. I hope they take it one step further and slam it into the PU as is

I thought the PU was also completely hosed when they deployed this build too? So they might as well if neither of them work anyway :D

The most depressing thing any of the Crytek employees have read this year.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

this build wasn't ready and should not have been deployed

in october and november I mentioned there was a huge debate between chris and the lower employees about not releasing 2.6 this year and just wrapping up a bunch of features into 3.0

2.5.x or whatever would have made some changes to AC, flight model, and FPS but kept core functionality the same

I was sure that he'd take the advice of people who actually knew what the state of the game was, but no, he went and did dumb chris roberts poo poo like release a broken, unstable build close to xmas

people will be working through the weekend and next week and the week after to get this poo poo running

I'd say an honest actual release of this, going at current rates, was prob march or later in 2017

how players who paid for this poo poo aren't up in arms about the state of their space game, I dunno

lol, they announced a free fly event, they're most likely going to push it to live this week

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/welcome-to-sc

http://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-free-fly-holiday-event

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jds7b/its_time_for_the_25_million_stretch_goal/

All CIG would need to do to fulfill this obligation (yes citizens, this is an explicit obligation) is update their cloud server contract to include servers in those places. As right now only NA servers are used no matter what. Its literally a flip of the switch lol.

They raised money from people in Europe and Australia on the basis of that promise. They are thieves.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

ahmini posted:

It seems they can't make even simple changes without causing multiple regression issues. They're either not doing proper regression testing or they're being forced by CRobbler to release whatever poo poo they've got even with regression tests failing left, right and center. A fundamentally broken release will actually hinder testing rather than enhance it, not to mention driving testers to distraction downloading 30GB releases day after day.

You've gotta think that any competent programmer would be looking for a way out right now.

completely agree but lol if you think they have any regression tests. they can't possibly. the game is so fundamentally broken that i'd be astonished if they had any kind of respectable test framework in. i mean holy poo poo, they actually release these updates after claiming to have tested it with real life humans and you still have to be looking at a loving door to have it open. these are not issues that get "wrapped up" or "tweaked" or "polished", they're deep issues that require more than a "refactor" (whatever that means in their language) to fix.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

$9 for 0.5 grams lol

I mean I'm sure it's great saffron and all but drat, it better be

It is. The infusion i get form it taste about the same as standard grade spanish saffron but need only a 1/3 of the ammount.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

The most depressing thing any of the Crytek employees have read this year.

Jump to 32 minutes in and watch the guy who spent over $42k on Star Citizen, playing Star Marine.

https://beam.pro/Clifford_aka_Miku?vod=674543

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Learn CIG's one trick to make a white collar employee cry.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

Jump to 32 minutes in and watch the guy who spent over $42k on Star Citizen, playing Star Marine.

https://beam.pro/Clifford_aka_Miku?vod=674543

I said depressing not hilarious

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TheLightPurges posted:

CIG employee actually appears on reddit to answer a bug question. Tells citizen to reboot his computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8&t=10s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

2.6 is a chris-mas miracle.

Thanks CIG. 2016 has sucked, but you've managed to make us all smile in here.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheLightPurges posted:

Its bullshit when you can get a gallon of ketchup, that has a poo poo ton of herbs and spices for less than that. ITs better tasting and creates a better flavor profile too.

Yeah, saffron is not cheap, but for a 5-6 serving dish you only need about 0.01 g that you infuse in milk or water. You can get 2g of Spanish standard for the same price off Amazon, but like TijBib. said earlier it may not be 100% saffron.

But nothing beat a generous ammount of Heinz 57 with meat, shepherd pie or scotch eggs.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

2.6 is a chris-mas miracle.

Thanks CIG. 2016 has sucked, but you've managed to make us all smile in here.

2016 is in alpha, it's not set to be released until next year

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZoA3byeoI

This is amazing. Depending on how it looks once EA hits I may buy in.

seriously man, wait until they take the EA tag off THEN buy it.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I might jump in, depending on the price tag.
This poo poo really looks like what SC should have been. Sans 140 mil.

Also, they have docking lmao.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Astroneer is in EA and worth buying. :colbert:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You just quit CIG this is the crowd funding withdrawal talking

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I might jump in, depending on the price tag.
This poo poo really looks like what SC should have been. Sans 140 mil.

Also, they have docking lmao.

Pffft, but do they have a clothes shop?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

* Try breathing into a paper bag while downloading.
* Try rubbing warm olive oil into your elbows.
* Keep a piece of seaweed next to the computer, if it dries out, try playing tomorrow.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZKC5W4pbQ

Funniest thing I've seen so far :D The sound of flubbering body just cracks me up :D

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

aleksendr posted:

Yeah, saffron is not cheap, but for a 5-6 serving dish you only need about 0.01 g that you infuse in milk or water. You can get 2g of Spanish standard for the same price off Amazon, but like TijBib. said earlier it may not be 100% saffron.

But nothing beat a generous ammount of Heinz 57 with meat, shepherd pie or scotch eggs.

I'm a fan of Penzey's Spanish coupe saffron. It's legit, and like you said, you only need a tiny bit for any given recipe. If I ever get to travel to a place where I can buy saffron directly, though...

My favorite thing to do besides saffron rice is saffron spiced tea :3:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sabreseven posted:

Same here, it ticks all the right boxes for me with the slow scavenge, survive and build gameplay, kinda like a serious Subnautica in space. :)

Plus it's multiplayer. Depending on how the game is structured and server size (I doubt it's large but who knows) it could be fun to make GoonBase. Hours spent creating a giant goatse ring.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

TheLightPurges posted:

You just quit CIG this is the crowd funding withdrawal talking

Depending on the price and how reviews go I'll buy it whenever I want, but if content is lacking I'll definitely wait.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZKC5W4pbQ

Funniest thing I've seen so far :D The sound of flubbering body just cracks me up :D

nah man, I'm loving the " oh this is funny, i'm laughing.. i'm laughing while I invested 6k+ in this piece of crap and we are 4 years behind, but this is is normal right... this is funny ha hahah ha"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Plus it's multiplayer. Depending on how the game is structured and server size (I doubt it's large but who knows) it could be fun to make GoonBase. Hours spent creating a giant goatse ring.

Depending on the price and how reviews go I'll buy it whenever I want, but if content is lacking I'll definitely wait.

in EA their aiming for 100 people a server.
And try to increase it further down the line.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Hundreds of people losing their jobs is somehow really funny

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tippis posted:

Sometimes EA stuff is good, like Darkest Dungeon or Grim Dawn, Astroneer looks cute but I haven't played it.

There has never been a finished Early Access Survival Game™ though, none.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

So watching this Helion youtube vid, and look at the comments.
Spot the shitizen

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

They did this poo poo with 2.4. Half the features were missing and it was dire but they pushed that poo poo to Live anyway.

True, but I think they hit a milestone here when the broke a previously working build by deploying a test build. Another CIG first!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Chalks posted:

No. I have a twitter account and my feed is always blank. I have no way to explain how other people encounter tweets. Also what do all these buttons do I am confused.

So what youre telling me is that you have a twitter and you use it for the express purpose of following a bunch people you literally hate and read all their tweets because they make/like the bad videogame?
In what way is this any better?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The caterpillar door thing is hilarious. Years of battle between CIG and doors have led us here.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Tippis posted:

Amazingly stable for something they call a pre-alpha.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

this game looks good and hopefully star citizen stays a quarantine zone for the genre.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And the cycle is complete.