Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

as if you could ever get the leftists to agree to line up in a circle like that

paranoid randroid posted:

lets just sort of mill around and shoot each other in the head at random intervals then

tbf the left does this with more precision and determined motions than i've seen at the tomb of the unknown soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lets just sort of mill around and shoot each other in the head at random intervals then

ahhh, just like la revolucion.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

someone could ask ellison why he did that
lol at the concept of dialogue between the deliberately exclusionary hierarchies of the left

Serf
May 5, 2011

I too am confused as to why Keith would endorse that Florida megadonor. this is the first thing I've seen him do that's troubling

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

redneck nazgul posted:

tbf the left does this with more precision and determined motions than i've seen at the tomb of the unknown soldier

ideological purging is like the one thing the left is better at than the right, let us have this please

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ace of Baes posted:

A vocal minority that has hijacked Gender studies to be exclusionary wrt minority, trans, and class issues, so uhhh no?

You're the one giving them the power by listening and engaging them and grouping them. I've dealt with trust fund shitheads like this before, but to automatically dismiss a race and status as a whole because of a few shitheads is part of the problem. There are actually potential allies in that area that aren't so far up their asses. It's antagonistic because you're seeking vengeance from a perceived slight and it fits that narrative so good, "uck rich spoiled white kids" *jams whole hand down throat to trigger gag reflex out of virtue signaling* and it serves nothing in the long run.

Al! posted:

as if you could ever get the leftists to agree to line up in a circle like that

The Leftist Linear Firing Squad.

"Easier and cost effective with 1 bullet! :v:" - Crony Capitalists

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

I too am confused as to why Keith would endorse that Florida megadonor. this is the first thing I've seen him do that's troubling
Maybe he was out of the room while it happened like when half of Labour couldn't vote in the last leadership election because Jeremy Corbyn thought the meeting was over but they reconvened in a technically quorate way and tried to sabotage him lol

(or he could just be a fake non-establishment guy)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pollyanna posted:

basically when you say "gently caress feminists" it is not immediately obvious whether you're a leftist or a gamergater

I never even said gently caress feminism. I didn't even say gently caress feminists! I even specifically rules out literally the vast majority of feminists in that post (any feminists that weren't 70s feminists) and I never said or meant it to include all 70s feminists since I was specifically referring to the ones who did the action I found distasteful and it was the action I was criticizing, or at least thought I was criticizing.

Leftist Deathmatch, no milling about, act with intent.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Pollyanna posted:

basically when you say "gently caress feminists" it is not immediately obvious whether you're a leftist or a gamergater

trust me this is a well-known issue and a huge point of contention w/ modern feminism. people continue to fight for intersectionality in feminism and it's kinda making inroads? but its really slow.

I know, some dude accused me of being an ignorant Clinton hater when paraphrasing Carbado's "Colorblind Intersectionality" like 10 pages ago lol

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
You know, with the candidacy of Donald Trump, there's been a lot of discussion of what really unites the Republican Party and makes them a coherent party, and I think you could come up with lots of really good uniting points; anti-cosmopolitanism, anti-internationalism, and overall distrust of government and intellectuals.

What points, what values, unite the Democratic coalition that we already have? Without striving to at least understand our own coalition, I don't see how we can hope to expand it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GlyphGryph posted:

I never even said gently caress feminism. I didn't even say gently caress feminists! I even specifically rules out literally the vast majority of feminists in that post (any feminists that weren't 70s feminists) and I never said or meant it to include all 70s feminists since I was specifically referring to the ones who did the action I found distasteful and it was the action I was criticizing, or at least thought I was criticizing.

generic "you" in that sentence, if it wasn't clear :shobon: and i was pretty flippant in that phrasing, but basically it's a sensitive issue and until we figure out a good framework for addressing it feet are going to be stepped on

also im barely paying attention to this cause i gotta shower n work n do errands n poo poo

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

ideological purging is like the one thing the left is better at than the right, let us have this please

that's not true

we have better comedians and celebrities, look at them, look at how great they are

lena dunham understands my pain as a blue collar white dude

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also it was mostly al's "feminists enemy #1" post that made me worried

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Lastgirl posted:

You're the one giving them the power by listening and engaging them and grouping them. I've dealt with trust fund shitheads like this before, but to automatically dismiss a race and status as a whole because of a few shitheads is part of the problem. There are actually potential allies in that area that aren't so far up their asses. It's antagonistic because you're seeking vengeance from a perceived slight and it fits that narrative so good, "uck rich spoiled white kids" *jams whole hand down throat to trigger gag reflex out of virtue signaling* and it serves nothing in the long run.
Actually you can dismiss rich feminists really easy because people making more than $250,000/y make up less than 1.5% of the population.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

what kind of gun are you packing?

i prefer to snipe at any wrong think with this kind of baby

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Here's something different to discuss.

Talk amongst yourselves.

I've seen this picture before and every time I see it all I can think is "wow, everyone got so old"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ace of Baes posted:

Actually you can dismiss rich feminists really easy because people making more than $250,000/y make up less than 1.5% of the population.

You shouldn't dismiss people just because they are a minority.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ace of Baes posted:

:goonsay:

And they're in the loving minority. :nallears: Again.

GlyphGryph posted:

You shouldn't dismiss people just because they are a minority.

:yeah:

hypocrite~ :smuggo:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

That wasn't a serious post, he was being passive-aggressive at the rest of the thread

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

that's reasonable, it was designed to

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Democrazy posted:

You know, with the candidacy of Donald Trump, there's been a lot of discussion of what really unites the Republican Party and makes them a coherent party, and I think you could come up with lots of really good uniting points; anti-cosmopolitanism, anti-internationalism, and overall distrust of government and intellectuals.

What points, what values, unite the Democratic coalition that we already have? Without striving to at least understand our own coalition, I don't see how we can hope to expand it.
Our message should be gently caress the rich but the rich hijacked our party, there's a reason Bernie Sanders was so popular despite every odd stacked against him.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

keep em shook

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Democrazy posted:

uhhhhhh

we're not republicans

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

You know, with the candidacy of Donald Trump, there's been a lot of discussion of what really unites the Republican Party and makes them a coherent party
The answer is "not much beyond ancient loyalties", same as the democrats.

This was not a good election for your average fiscal conservative social hard rear end Republican candidate, this is people wanting bajillions of deficit spending to fight poverty in left-behind areas.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think that at it's core, the Democratic message has to be that we are pro-government

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

oh you bomb throwing anarchist you~~~

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

I think that at it's core, the Democratic message has to be that we are pro-government

I think the Democratic message has to be that we're anti-management and pro-labor

e: this is the part where we call each other splitters and shoot each other right

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Al! posted:

Then it was pretty lovely by design

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Lastgirl posted:

:goonsay:

And they're in the loving minority. :nallears: Again.

:yeah:

hypocrite~ :smuggo:

They're a minority who shouldn't be pandered to because they're literally the oppressors, they can't be ignored because they're what's holding back actual progress by defining what's "important" and shaping the narrative, I dont know how to better explain it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Agean90 posted:

oh you bomb throwing anarchist you~~~

im a liberal

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

what kind of gun are you packing?

i prefer to snipe at any wrong think with this kind of baby

big mosin obrez fan here

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Then it was pretty lovely by design

yes, glyphgraph, that opinion is a really lovely one i agree

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

I think the Democratic message has to be that we're anti-management and pro-labor

e: this is the part where we call each other splitters and shoot each other right

That works too

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

im a liberal

oh sure I get ya fellow liberal ;)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Al! posted:

yes, glyphgraph, that opinion is a really lovely one i agree

Should we spend multiple pages sharing other lovely opinions no one in the thread actually seems then, do you think?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

hmmmmmmmmmm :/ i wonder why.

olive branch to the establishment and an indication that he'll be willing to do the job without getting caught up in partisanship, i think. as DNC chair, he can encourage progressives to run in seats with no Dem competition and he can urge candidates toward progressive messaging, but the head of the Dem fundraising organization isn't really in a position to piss off big donors and dedicated fundraisers for the sake of ideological purity or "draining the swamp", and there's no way Schumer and other establishment figures would have put him forward if they weren't confident that he was willing to agree with that

that's why i was always skeptical of the DNC chair push. he might personally be progressive, but given the choice between a centrist incumbent or megadonor and a progressive long-shot challenger, it's the DNC's job to back the centrist

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GlyphGryph posted:

Should we spend multiple pages sharing other lovely opinions no one in the thread actually seems then, do you think?

yes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

thats the problem

people seem to think it

so you have the option of distancing yourself from it, which you did! good job!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Robo-James Carville: It's the proletariat, stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

thats the problem

people seem to think it

so you have the option of distancing yourself from it, which you did! good job!

I was kinda miffed at the implication that I did think it, so good job miffing me, well miffed

• Locked thread