Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

I think it might actually be possible because of how they barley crushed Sander's disorganized campaign in the primaries. i think if we organize from the ground up we can take over the structures of the party.

Your missing his bigger point. The Sanders/Ellison wing of the party can take it over if they want to but, where do you go from there? Exactly which states do you think Ellison or Sanders could be elected in outside of where they live? Which swing states is an Ellison or Sanders going to appeal to? I'll give you Michigan and Pennsylvania, maybe, but from there, is that sort of progressive politics going to play in Florida, Iowa, Ohio or Wisconsin? Is it going to even take hold in Oregon, Colorado, Washington or Nevada? Sure, take the loving party over, that's the easy part; the hard part is governing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al! posted:

more progressive than fdr and johnson combined, i heard. did you know he created the epa, the wpa, and the ccc????

did u know im gonna throw u thru a stack of pallets while howling, u freaking nogoodnik!!!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

paranoid randroid posted:

people will totally whine about criticisms of Perez if he becomes DNC chair. thats not a conspiracy theory thats just observing recorded history.

Which is why I don't understand why Tatum is accusing me of being a conspiracy theorist for saying it.

Like I think they are consistently confusing "predictions for how things will happen" for "accusations of nefarious plots".

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How could anyone still be neutral about lovely, corporate boot-licking, wallstreet funded donors like Booker. It really confuses the poo poo outta me :/

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
two years is a long time and i believe in 2018. i am optimistic for some stupid reason

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Which is why I don't understand why Tatum is accusing me of being a conspiracy theorist for saying it.

because everyone itt including me are always all twisted up inside with political angst and should probably mellow

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

because you're ascribing the 'whining' to some plot to lay the groundwork for some horrible establishment monster to stab Ellison in the back, when really people will just complain about things that bug them.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It's kinda hard to gauge what success/defeat would look like in 2018. The Senate is out of play and Ellison would be first in line for Godhood if he even manages to successfully prevent significant losses by dint of the map. House and state legislature gains are likely, but might not be big enough to really raise eyebrows unless he successfully makes the party competitive outside urbanized areas. Gubernatorial races, where geography doesn't matter, will be the first test of Ellison's ability to motivate turnout among traditional dems in off-years, and the first two contests will be next year in Virginia and New Jersey. So at least we can reassess how his strategy is working going into 2018.

The rural cultural identification with the Republican narrative of "us against the elites" has to be (re)coopted, and that could take some time. If Ellison follows through by recruiting local notables and propelling them onto the national scene we might see some traction. Coopting agrarian concerns against the unified Republican Government isn't necessarily out of the question either. Daily Yonder is a pretty good resource for progressive issues in rural areas for those on the outside looking in. http://www.dailyyonder.com/letter-from-langdon-obamas-ag-record-will-look-great-compared-to-trumps/2016/12/20/16786/

I'm born, bred and likely to die in Methghanistan, Indiana, but even I've got a tinge of hope. Talked to our state chairman's staff today and relayed support for Ellison among the elder millennials in my area, for all the good that'll do. Maybe Indiana can be a force of good for once, instead of just polluting the skyline with creationist billboards and murdering Lincoln's mother with poisoned milk.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not a loving conspiracy you dingbat, but you've convinced me it's absolutely true.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah the whining isnt a plot; its just that democrats excel at whining

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

did u know im gonna throw u thru a stack of pallets while howling, u freaking nogoodnik!!!

every time u protest, nixon gets a little more progressive in this game of political price is right.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I also think it's real bad to just assume Ellison is gonna win, that seems real dumb unless you don't actually care whether or not he wins.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

because you're ascribing the 'whining' to some plot to lay the groundwork for some horrible establishment monster to stab Ellison in the back, when really people will just complain about things that bug them.

No I'm not.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
source: *gestures to encompass this thread*

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

How am I supposed to interpret this, it seems pretty dumb.

Like you think there's something hypocritical in that statement.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

logikv9 posted:

two years is a long time and i believe in 2018. i am optimistic for some stupid reason

something extreme is gonna have to happen for that

gotta get worse before it gets better

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Since someone brought it up, here is Ellison's pick on the Florida DNC race; http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...deep-organ.html

With quote:

So it looks like for Ellison it's what he can do over his ideals?

I thought compromising on ideals in order to attract big donor money was a bad thing, and that Ellison was gonna reform the system and purge the establishment elites

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

someone quote me in like 3 years:

Ellison will win DNC chair. Schumer et al were so quick to endorse him because they know the Dems are gonna get obliterated the next several years, and definitely the next cycle. This will discredit the leftward trajectory that's going on right now and will set the stage for, you guessed it, The Assassination of Keith Ellison By The Coward Corey Booker.

this is exactly what ive been predicting for weeks. except that as DNC chair, he will sometimes be forced to support incumbent, big donors, and other establishment darlings against progressive outsider challengers. the optics of a progressive bona fide like Keith turning around and backing the establishment will discredit the Sanders movement and cause it to collapse into infighting and chaos as everyone accuses everyone else of being fake progressives and the resulting ideological tests and witch-hunts devastate the left for the next few years

this is why a smart progressive movement would be worrying about replacing most of the several hundred DNC members rather than obsessing over which figurehead sits in the chairman's seat. real power flows from the bottom up, not the top down, and it rests in numbers rather than official positions. by hanging all their hopes on Ellison, the left is setting themselves up for another Obama-style disappointment where changing one guy turns out to not have the drastic impact on the system that they had hoped for

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

GlyphGryph posted:

How am I supposed to interpret this, it seems pretty dumb.

Like you think there's something hypocritical in that statement.

There's a vein on your forehead right now innit

Chiiiiilll my friend

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

please keep posting gifs

they are a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dark and dreary thread

no joke

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I also think it's real bad to just assume Ellison is gonna win, that seems real dumb unless you don't actually care whether or not he wins.

I love that literally any statement isn't good enough for you.

I like Ellison and think he's gonna win because he has more support from people that matter than Perez does unless he does something to really gently caress that up. This is nothing like Hillary's campaign because they're entirely different contexts and Ellison is by all accounts campaigning well and making his case to the people he needs to, and his only opponent is a latecomer who's kinda just there to say 'ya know...Obama did some good stuff too...' occasionally.

The only true way to show how much you care is to be in a constant state of meltdown and assume all your allies are liars trying to lure you into a false sense of security before Schumer can stab you in the back for his corporate masters.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yeah the whining isnt a plot; its just that democrats excel at whining

isn't that against the interest of the public?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love that literally any statement isn't good enough for you.

I like Ellison and think he's gonna win because he has more support from people that matter than Perez does unless he does something to really gently caress that up. This is nothing like Hillary's campaign because they're entirely different contexts and Ellison is by all accounts campaigning well and making his case to the people he needs to, and his only opponent is a latecomer who's kinda just there to say 'ya know...Obama did some good stuff too...' occasionally.

The only true way to show how much you care is to be in a constant state of meltdown and assume all your allies are liars trying to lure you into a false sense of security before Schumer can stab you in the back for his corporate masters.

personally I find it interesting that you use language from my posts in response to other people as if they had said it lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the gently caress is a public interest

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

radical meme posted:

Your missing his bigger point. The Sanders/Ellison wing of the party can take it over if they want to but, where do you go from there? Exactly which states do you think Ellison or Sanders could be elected in outside of where they live? Which swing states is an Ellison or Sanders going to appeal to? I'll give you Michigan and Pennsylvania, maybe, but from there, is that sort of progressive politics going to play in Florida, Iowa, Ohio or Wisconsin? Is it going to even take hold in Oregon, Colorado, Washington or Nevada? Sure, take the loving party over, that's the easy part; the hard part is governing.

I can't tell if this is a serious post.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

this is why a smart progressive movement would be worrying about replacing most of the several hundred DNC members rather than obsessing over which figurehead sits in the chairman's seat. real power flows from the bottom up, not the top down, and it rests in numbers rather than official positions. by hanging all their hopes on Ellison, the left is setting themselves up for another Obama-style disappointment where changing one guy turns out to not have the drastic impact on the system that they had hoped for

Please god can someone make this the thread title

really folks: the Democratic party, even with Keith Ellison as the fuckin DNC chair, is not your Moses.

"Top down organizing" is useless as gently caress in a political sense, and even with Vladimir Lenin leading the DNC you still need a groundswell of activists and local engagement to get anything done at all. if you want to 'rebuild' the Democratic party, go out and support Corey Booker and Tulsi Gabbard.

If you want to rebuild leftism, go out and join your local IWW, organize your workplace, go to a local SURJ meeting, etc.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's why you don't engage with trostom gephart.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

There's a vein on your forehead right now innit

Chiiiiilll my friend

NO CHILL

*vein pops, dies*

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

I think you can maybe do both things and not only one thing. You can push for Ellison and also act locally. I do it and I'm a lazy piece of poo poo.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

Nevada, yes. They had to trot out the cops and barricades during the primary.

I would worry about the top down structure. We had Hillary professional-class surrogates from CA in every precinct on their own dime telling people that a vote for Bernie was just like Nader and we would lose.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I think you can maybe do both things and not only one thing. You can push for Ellison and also act locally. I do it and I'm a lazy piece of poo poo.

you can do both things, but most people have limited time and spending it all on sperging out about the vastly inferior option (Keith Ellison as DNC Chair) will land you nowhere

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Thank you, yes. Making this seem harder than it is isn't going to help.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

really folks: the Democratic party, even with Keith Ellison as the fuckin DNC chair, is not your Moses.

"Top down organizing" is useless as gently caress in a political sense, and even with Vladimir Lenin leading the DNC you still need a groundswell of activists and local engagement to get anything done at all. if you want to 'rebuild' the Democratic party, go out and support Corey Booker and Tulsi Gabbard.

If you want to rebuild leftism, go out and join your local IWW, organize your workplace, go to a local SURJ meeting, etc.

may I recommend... the PSL :twisted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

telling the president of the bank to resign is public interest

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

you can do both things, but most people have limited time and spending it all on sperging out about the vastly inferior option (Keith Ellison as DNC Chair) will land you nowhere

I mean, we're posting on Something Awful dot com. I don't know if any of us are using our time wisely.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I mean, we're posting on Something Awful dot com. I don't know if any of us are using our time wisely.

god ive been owned so many times today :(

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

I just want somebody to post that fight song gif so I can waste time fiddling in photoshop for something that won't be as funny as it is in my head.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

It also needs politicians in the party willing to bend to the pressure from activists, or a way to route around them.

You need to do both, you can't just surrender to the party to the "centrists" or the activists will be marginalized no matter what they do.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Dec 21, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I just want somebody to post that fight song gif so I can waste time fiddling in photoshop for something that won't be as funny as it is in my head.

be sure to throw this in your project

cos thast what this thread is today

also check the chat thread, or ask Karl Barks again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

We don't need "most people" to organize for progressive change, though. You don't need tens of millions of people to organize to affect change among DNC members or whatever. Party leadership members tend to be cowards; getting a voice loud enough to spook them isn't as hard as you're making it seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

are we not all going to meetings and getting into the party on a local level when we're not here shitposting??

• Locked thread