Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Just flipping through scenes in TPM but this one always struck me as being primarily thematically composed by the lighting

And then I just saw this one and had to post it because it's so gorgeous and pulpy and sci-fi and looks like one of Ralph McQuarrie's paintings come to life

You see a lot of the Metropolis influence here. The rigid formation of the flying cars is especially evocative, and is probably what turns a lot of people off to the settings. They're realized in an ultra-grid like fashion that seems to imprison the entire world of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Red posted:

I kind of think Jimmy Smits getting the familiar Williams score when he appears was funny. And not in a good way.

I didn't mind the fan service very much, but that Williams score sting for Bail and then when he says to Mon Mothma something like, "I have to be getting back to Alderaan!!" it felt like both actors were about to turn and wink at the camera

I want to see R1 again if only for the opening scene. I've posted this before but god was it beautiful

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 21, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I didn't mind the fan service very much, but that Williams score sting for Bail and then when he says to Mon Mothma something like, "I have to be getting back to Alderaan!!" it felt like both actors were about to turn and wink at the camera

I want to see R1 again if only for the opening scene. I've posted this before but god was it beautiful

I think the only images that really stuck out to me were:

- The rebel ships bouncing off the Star Destroyer when they were trying to get to hyperspace
- The hallway massacre at the end with Vader going apeshit
- The guy with the automatic rifle pack opening up on the troopers when the doors opened to the beach; him firing the shoulder-mounted cannon at the AT-AT and having it shrugged off

I so wanted to see the AT-AT commander's POV of rebels scattering as a nod to ESB, oh well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The movie starts with one of the protagonists shooting his friend in the back. That and the little kid crying in the middle of the market battle on Jedah were two early standout moments that were like whoa.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Nielsen posted:

I won't argue with this, I think you're right about a lot of this stuff but here's the hilarious kicker, all this kind of important character drama is "efficiently cut" so we can get extra shots of spaceships blowing stuff up and more fanservice, I would've loved to see more efficiently cut space battles and more moments between the characters that actually underline these things. That's my major problem with the film, as much as I loved all the spacebattles, I wanted to see some more people doing peoplestuff, to make me care more.

I read this as "I'm not interested in star wars"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Badly emotive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfevBIsVG1o

Anakin is played so much better in the Clone Wars series.

To be honest I think if that shot doesn't work it's not down to Hayden at all. This is like a master shot and then a reverse shot, it's pretty static. You could even pull closer onto Anakin's face while keeping Padme in frame. It's an old style of filming an emotional scene. In modern direction there would absolutely be a tight shot on his face when he's talking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I finally saw this film and my main takeaway was:

I love Imperial architecture. It's so bonkers and pretty at the same time.

The movie itself was by turns boring, mawkish and entertaining. Pretty uneven IMO.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Like, the blind dude seeing with the Force was something that was very central to the very idea of the original film.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Rebels first victory against the Galactic Empire......skipped.

Oh poo poo, nevermind.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Danger posted:

Like, the blind dude seeing with the Force was something that was very central to the very idea of the original film.

Obi-Wan even tells Luke not to trust his eyes and luke goes on to blow up the Death Star without using them

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Rogue One's ending demanded the beginning and middle of the film should have followed the Dirty Dozen formula (where we all get to spend time with/ grow to like the ragtag squad) but instead it was about the lame Nazi scientist's stupid offspring and the film's toy merchandise. The film is drivel.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought part of disneys new direction was not having every single small person who shows up on screen be some special snowflake in teh star wars universe?

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Saul Goode posted:

The force is strong with this post. Rogue One and all the other "take a poo poo on what was good about Star Wars" movies can get hosed.

Thanks man, agreed :)

Danger posted:

I'm convinced a large element of unexamined pre-quel hate coming from the gen-X, early millenials is linked very strongly with a deep spiritual struggle that seems to live in those generations. This is all anecdotal, mind you, but the loudest pre-quel critics (at least on the internet) seem to be the same self-proclaimed rationalist liberal bunch who thinks their positivism excuses their petit-bourgeoisie place within class struggle. The Star Wars films are deeply religious ones, the pre-quels being especially christological; and lots of self-proclaimed Star Wars fans just can't grapple with those messages.

??? positivism excuses my petit-bourgeoisie place within class struggle? hmm...

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

BisonDollah posted:

Rogue One's ending demanded the beginning and middle of the film should have followed the Dirty Dozen formula (where we all get to spend time with/ grow to like the ragtag squad) but instead it was about the lame Nazi scientist's stupid offspring and the film's toy merchandise. The film is drivel.

Literally this.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this movie would've been better with basically no named Imperials in it. Have Krennic just be the head of the storage base at the end, and maybe have one scene of him doing something evil so we root for him to get his comeuppance, cut everything with Tarkin, and everything with Vader except for his assault at the end. Have Galen be like, an early plot point (rescuing/killing him is the teams first mission, which they gently caress up and causes drama) and then all of that freed up runtime use toward padding out the characterization of the main cast. This would help the audience to care about the main cast so when they all die at the end for the greater good it feels more meaningful and we as an audience are generally moved by their sacrifice.

But nooooooooo, there needs to be a new, visually identifiable villain in every movie so they can make antagonist toys to fight the hero toys on Christmas morning.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 22, 2016

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

Obi-Wan even tells Luke not to trust his eyes and luke goes on to blow up the Death Star without using them

I didn't see Luke closing his eyes. Obi Wan told him to trust his feelings.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

i thought part of disneys new direction was not having every single small person who shows up on screen be some special snowflake in teh star wars universe?

So, like, should the movie have had some Alderaan salaryman being stuck in rush hour one day, only to look up at the sky at see...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gfarrell80 posted:

I didn't see Luke closing his eyes. Obi Wan told him to trust his feelings.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Luke absolutely closes his eyes during the ending of the trench run.

They make a big deal of it. He sighs, centers himself, closes his eyes and shoots.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Waffles Inc. posted:

Just flipping through scenes in TPM but this one always struck me as being primarily thematically composed by the lighting

And then I just saw this one and had to post it because it's so gorgeous and pulpy and sci-fi and looks like one of Ralph McQuarrie's paintings come to life

The establishing shots and landscape shots are usually okay but when you get into the actual scenes themselves there's this overall blandness.

Like, I guess at least it's consistent, but I think it looks like a TV movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Like, I guess at least it's consistent, but I think it looks like a TV movie.

Totally dude.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I don't find the visuals in TPM to be too bad (aside from the Battle of Naboo taking place on the default Windows XP wallpaper) but AotC looked horrendous at the time, much less now. TPM uses practical sets for most things, but AotC and RotS have a bad case of the green screens. Every shot is so obviously and badly composited against a green screen that the whole world looks fake:

Which leads to additional problems with acting and human actors not properly reacting to things going on around them, because those things are all added in post, which is subtle but pulls you right out of the experience. Luke and crew escaping the Death Star in ANH by lightly jogging away from stormtroopers is a thousand times more exciting than Anakin and Padme's conveyor belt adventure (tm) because it's actually believable.

Edit: Jesus Christ just try to count the missing/incorrect shadows.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LanceKing2200 posted:

I don't find the visuals in TPM to be too bad (aside from the Battle of Naboo taking place on the default Windows XP wallpaper) but AotC looked horrendous at the time, much less now. TPM uses practical sets for most things, but AotC and RotS have a bad case of the green screens. Every shot is so obviously and badly composited against a green screen that the whole world looks fake:

I've always been confused by the complaint about hallways, because to my eyes both of these images look fantastic. The top one, especially, is just gorgeous.

Shame about Yoda not casting a shadow, though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I've always been confused by the complaint about hallways, because to my eyes both of these images look fantastic. The top one, especially, is just gorgeous.

Let me tell you about consistent lighting...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's mostly a matte painting too, isn't it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UmOk posted:

Totally dude.

The one you posted is better because you can see context outside the ship, its not zoomed too close so you're just seeing the pilot

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013
Guys I found hidden footage of Jedi Master Syfo-Dyas in the halls of the Jedi archives:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Schwarzwald posted:

Both of those images look like hot poo poo to me.

Could be a personal thing?

The only "good" defense of the Prequel's special effects that I've heard is SMG's Verfremdungseffeckt reasoning where they were part of the larger alienation the film was trying to evoke. I was very interested in that line of thinking because I really enjoy Brechtian theater. They were . . . not that.

I don't really have any enduring images of the prequels (which, if they are truly visual, I should). I can barely tell you what happened in them. They were terribly boring, I found my mind wandering when I was first watching them. Whenever I try and rewatch them, I am happy to find things to distract me. I've introduced two people to Star Wars. One was crazy insistent on watching them in "real" order, which, despite my protestations, they said was I-VI*. They gave up pretty quickly into Phantom Menace and we were both doing things around the house. But I noticed they started slowing down and then actually sitting down during the first 1/4th of Star Wars and we were able to watch Empire and Return with minimal wanderings.

*Speaking of, the "Godfather Epic", which has I+II in chronological order is a real shitshow. My wife had never seen Godfather, so when I was watching it as a curiosity she joined in. There was a lot of "Well, see, this scene is supposed to be contrasted with the one you saw 4 hours ago and this is that guy grown up." But more importantly, the earlier "establishing" scenes all required you to care for the characters in a way you didn't (yet).

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Can you not tell that Ewan and Samuel are literally pasted on to that background? Can you not see the feet of the Kamino people and how they just kinda... stop at the floor while Obi-wan's feet push against it realistically?

Edit: Look at the background shadows. See how they all pour in from back right, but the 3 main characters are lit from behind and the pillar closest to them casts no shadow at all? This screams of two different teams doing the art for that scene, one doing a totally CG background, and one compositing the actors into the main shot, but those two groups couldn't agree on a lighting direction.

DeimosRising posted:

It's mostly a matte painting too, isn't it?

I think they used some matte paintings in TPM, but as far as I know AotC and RotS are 100% green screen.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 22, 2016

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Saw it last night and I really, really liked it. I thought it was everything a SW movie should be, and it wasn't even a main Episode. Looking forward to the other Stories.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013
I liked this in R1, it's the anti-naboo:

And it would've been neat if they went somewhere with this:

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

The design is fine. It's a D-minus 3d cartoon based on concept art of an implausible building that is clumsily and obviously superimposed under two guys walking slowly in a blue room.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

"Episode 1 taught me at a young age that movies could be bad" is such hyperbolic garbage too. Like there were no movies in the history of movies before episode 1 you've seen where you were like "no thanks"? Did you see the Ewok movies? How did you enjoy those but not the prequels?

If anything, the statement should read "episode 1 tore down my ideas that these movies are only mine and I shouldn't walk into films with preconceived notions on what they should be" because that kind of thinking only sets you up for disappointment (see: every miserable soul who claims to be a fan of the "Aliens" franchise instead of fans of the "Alien" films.)

I shouldn't walk into films with preconceived notions that they should not be an incompetent mess of bland characters, terrible writing and childish drivel? Huh. To what extent should we, the rational non-fanboys who aren't clinging to things, demand that something with the right brand logo be a film at all before giving it our money and defending it?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Razputeen posted:

I shouldn't walk into films with preconceived notions that they should not be an incompetent mess of bland characters, terrible writing and childish drivel? Huh. To what extent should we, the rational non-fanboys who aren't clinging to things, demand that something with the right brand logo be a film at all before giving it our money and defending it?

I think you might be mistaken my friend as you are the fanboy in this equation who refuses to believe that Star Wars can't be anything other than what you specifically want (rehashes of A New Hope, i.e. The Force Awakens). Also, lol at "bland characters" when the prequels are working with the same broad stroke archetypes from the original trilogy.

Let go of your hatred nostalgia and broaden your mind.

Fanboys cry about their childhood being raped. Grown ups can recognize the work of an author and discuss its themes without being clouded by their childish notions.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I like how RO brought in all these normal posters and prequel defeners are now feeling all marginalized now that their echo chamber has been invaded

Good more news of good star wars
Ep 8 trailer soon btw

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
From my point of view, the prequels are evil!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Like I said, Rogue One is a prequel.

Sorry for your loss, Phil.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

I think you might be mistaken my friend as you are the fanboy in this equation who refuses to believe that Star Wars can't be anything other than what you specifically want (rehashes of A New Hope, i.e. The Force Awakens). Also, lol at "bland characters" when the prequels are working with the same broad stroke archetypes from the original trilogy.

Let go of your hatred nostalgia and broaden your mind.

Fanboys cry about their childhood being raped. Grown ups can recognize the work of an author and discuss its themes without being clouded by their childish notions.

It's pretty telling that the standard rejoinder of prequel apologists is that the critics are just fanboys clinging to the films they saw as kids. They are of course projecting, as you can see from the fact that they feel the obligation to defend something or like it because it's Star Wars and because most of them saw the prequel films as children. They try to turn it into a generational conflict when it isn't, it's just them being product-sponge brand zombies with no taste.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

got any sevens posted:

From my point of view, the prequels are evil!

Even this joke, like the Fall and Rebirth of the Republic, comes and comes again

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

gfarrell80 posted:

Thanks man, agreed :)

??? positivism excuses my petit-bourgeoisie place within class struggle? hmm...

That sure is what I just wrote. But no it doesn't excuse it, but is used as an excuse. This is pretty much the plot to The Phantom Menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Razputeen posted:

It's pretty telling that the standard rejoinder of prequel apologists is that the critics are just fanboys clinging to the films they saw as kids. They are of course projecting, as you can see from the fact that they feel the obligation to defend something or like it because it's Star Wars and because most of them saw the prequel films as children. They try to turn it into a generational conflict when it isn't, it's just them being product-sponge brand zombies with no taste.

exhibit a: product-sponge brand zombies with no taste

exhibit b: man who has spent hundreds of dollars to yell at people on the internet who like things he doesn't

• Locked thread