Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Your furnace produces coins and raw materials every 30 seconds or so, based on the amount of workers you have assigned to it. If you assign them all to coins, every cycle the furnace will give you nothing but coins. If you assign some to metal or whatever, you'll get some metal and less coins, etc.

The screen tells you what it produces every cycle, so adjust your needs accordingly. You need the materials for upgrading gumball gear, but you need coins for everything. I keep most of them on coins tbh unless I need something else.

Oh I must not be far enough for all of that. I just have coins right now so that's what I was confused about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

Oh I must not be far enough for all of that. I just have coins right now so that's what I was confused about.

Yeah keep playing and you get the ability to upgrade the furnace to potentially produce different types of materials.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so I think it didn't use to be available on something other than Steam, Twilight Struggle the board game is now in the play store.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dancer posted:

Hey so I think it didn't use to be available on something other than Steam, Twilight Struggle the board game is now in the play store.

:eyepop:

Hell yeah! Seems like iOS is always the one getting sweet boardgames ports.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

rotaryfun posted:

In Gumballs, I do not understand the alchemy bit. Do I just assign them all to coins? What does that do?

As you clear dungeons you'll unlock new materials to assign your little gumball dudes to. All to coins for now, then assign them as you need materials for upgrades.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Your furnace produces coins and raw materials every 30 seconds or so, based on the amount of workers you have assigned to it. If you assign them all to coins, every cycle the furnace will give you nothing but coins. If you assign some to metal or whatever, you'll get some metal and less coins, etc.

The screen tells you what it produces every cycle, so adjust your needs accordingly. You need the materials for upgrading gumball gear, but you need coins for everything. I keep most of them on coins tbh unless I need something else.

It's important to note that, aside from coins, the artisans technically produce fragments of materials. For example, the first tier of rock and gem materials that you unlock are "magic iron" and "crystal". But your artisans are actually mining the corresponding fragment items "magic iron scrap" and "crystal grit", where 100 of the fragment items produces one corresponding item you can actually use.

To put this example into practice, let's say you had a mining timer of 25 seconds, and 35 artisans working on magic iron scraps. The timeline as starting from zero would look like this:

(min:sec)
0:00 --> 00 scrap --> 0 iron
0:25 --> 35 scrap --> 0 iron
0:50 --> 70 scrap --> 0 iron
1:15 --> 05 scrap --> 1 iron
1:40 --> 40 scrap --> 1 iron

Yes, it's confusing and silly the way they chose to describe it. Final note: the number of scraps needed per item gets higher for each tier above the first. Tier 2 takes 300 scraps and tier 3 takes 900.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I feel like I'm very late to the game on this but I just downloaded Marvel Tsum Tsum and I'm having a lot of fun with it. If I connect it to Facebook is it going to start writing poo poo on my wall? 15 free orbs is tempting but I don't want anyone IRL to know I'm playing this dumb phone game.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

OxMan posted:

Speaking of sales, Punch Club seems to be $2 on the US store. What were the hot tips for that one, i seem to remember speed trumping all.

Junkie Disease posted:

Dear god dont buy it

^ this.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Malek posted:

^ this.

What about punch club is so bad? I saw a video of it once when it first came out on steam but I didn't think anything of it.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

CascadeBeta posted:

What about punch club is so bad? I saw a video of it once when it first came out on steam but I didn't think anything of it.

Stat decay is ludicrous and turns the game into a grind unless you use exploits in so many words.

There were many requests to "lower the stat decay" to which the devs responded by putting passive aggressive "easy mode" in which disables achievements (on the Steam version) and mocks you for it in the descriptors.

I got it for part of a Humble Bundle and still feel like I paid too much. Lotta salt in the Steam Forums over it too.

(The exploit is to go 100% agility and nothing else supposedly but I just gave up.)

Malek fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 20, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't hate the game but it is very repetitive and grindy. Also all that stuff about stat decay above.

Anyway XCOM, Civ Rev 2, NBA 2k17 and WWE 2k are all on sale for $3. The first Adventure Time Card Wars and Teeny Titans are also on sale for 99 cents.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 20, 2016

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Oh dammit. I just bought x-com a couple of weeks ago. =(

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

I thought this was iphone only! I wonder why I never heard of it before, is it not any good? I remember enjoying the first one on the DS.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Final Fantasys I to VI, FF Tactics, FF Dimensions, FF IV: After Years, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Adventures of Mana are 50% off until January V.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Bought civ rev 2 last night. Went through the tutorial and wasn't able to go passed step one. The build city button would not respond to any amount of screen pressing. Refunded it which is unfortunate because it's been on my wish list forever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Did you restart your device? Sometimes things have issues when you first install them, but do a reboot and they're fine after that. No idea why though :frogbon:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I was just about to ask about Civ Rev myself. Reviews online seem to be universally negative (example: http://kotaku.com/the-new-civilization-is-getting-thrashed-on-itunes-wit-1604875483 ), but most are old. Has it gotten better? I'm particularly worried that the play store page says it includes ads.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

Final Fantasys I to VI, FF Tactics, FF Dimensions, FF IV: After Years, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Adventures of Mana are 50% off until January V.

I think I'm gonna finally pull the trigger and get Dimensions. I've been wanting to play another game with a Job System for quite a while now, and it seems nobody really makes those*. Also, from what I saw of the attempted LP of the game, it looks like it's at least a decent game...

*I'd also love to play a Final Fantasy title from the perspective of the Warriors Of Dark, but I don't think that will ever happen...

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
It's not much of an expansion from the first civ rev. One new civilization, some civs get a second leader, some new late game techs. That's about it. I think I got more than my money's worth out of it though.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Gooch181 posted:

Invite Gooch181#Jdj-:4 please! I am working my way up to the 1000VP to join an alliance currently and should be there soon. I've only played through the first two campaigns and it's pretty neat so far.

Sent you an invite.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's important to note that, aside from coins, the artisans technically produce fragments of materials. For example, the first tier of rock and gem materials that you unlock are "magic iron" and "crystal". But your artisans are actually mining the corresponding fragment items "magic iron scrap" and "crystal grit", where 100 of the fragment items produces one corresponding item you can actually use.

The artisans farm and combine grit, but do the latter at a very slow rate. Note that if you are in a hurry / an efficient mood, you can click on an ingredient when crafting and pay gold to do it faster with a lower tier component.

Like, for instance, right now I farm Mithril scraps and 960 scraps autocombine into one Mithril whenever they accumulate. That takes a long while to get anywhere. Or I can put my guys into Dark Steel instead, scraps of which farm about 3x faster, and combine 3 Dark Steel + 1000 gold = 1 Mithril. (I do that by clicking Gumballs -> some random gumball that has a weapon that needs crafting that uses Mithril, like, say, Pirate -> weapon + icon on the left -> Mithril icon.)

Other random Gumball thoughts:

* Zerg Queen is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up. The eggs spawn often enough to build up a stockpile, and their attack is based on what your Attack is when they're summoned. So, if you have Blade of Ruin active, then use an egg, you get two zerg spiders with jacked-up attack _and the attack stays that high even after your BoR expires_. Plus you have enough room to use two eggs to summon four against a boss, so Blade of Ruin + Egg + Icicle to buy time + Egg + Disrupting Ray = cleanup on aisle 5 against many an advanced boss.

So work on your Airships, kids, because you want one of those.

* Speaking of Airships, an inobvious mechanic: if you want to expand your airship team and add other gumballs and robots to it, it's the + sign on the Team select screen.

* One note on skill effects -- most of them DO NOT STACK. Like, Aurora Barrier and Ice Shield are fine, but any combination of Stoneskin - Blade of Ruin - Bless - Electrostatic Field - Energy Drain - similar effects will wipe each other out. This really sucks if you wish your way to Tattered Knight Armor, which gives a nifty Don Quixote buff on entering each level, and then you hit one enemy and your Blade of Ruin skill kicks in and bye bye Quixote benefits. Not that auto-BoR is bad, generally. (Dragon Scale armor set + Duke of Destruction title + Legendary Mage title makes it disturbingly good.)

* Gumball combo of the moment: Gladiator + Zerg Queen + a Venture gumball from Ranger's (Blacksmith, Spy, Zorro) of your choice. This gives you access to all three skill trees, so that you can dip into Venture for "show me 5 enemies," buy the first Magic skill so you can cast Portal of Earth if it arrives and Disrupting Ray for bosses, and lets you build either Duke of Destruction + Legendary Mage for BoR abuse or something like Imperial Commander for defense and your choice of Magic systems. Then pump your Attack up on bosses and go to town.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I just cleared the last dungeon and was sad there weren't more -- they surprisingly keep the gimmicks going with each successive dungeon. One thing I don't know is whether boss skills count as long range damage? I've always been too invested in my dude to try that title out and compare numbers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, after scrolling past hundreds of gumball posts, I finally downloaded it because I saw 'airships', which I have some sort of love for that even I can't explain. What's the deal with them? Do you actually get to use them? Is it like a house in the sky?

Seriously, ever since getting the first airship in FF7, I've been oddly drawn to that sort of mechanic in games; mainly where you could walk around and take extra time and risk way more, OR you could try to gain an airship that has a poo poo ton of advantages. I'm not expecting that experience with this game, but I am curious as to how they're implemented.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like the gumball game because it doesn't feel like they want all my money. At no point have I felt like I need to spend money to accomplish anything.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, after scrolling past hundreds of gumball posts, I finally downloaded it because I saw 'airships', which I have some sort of love for that even I can't explain. What's the deal with them? Do you actually get to use them? Is it like a house in the sky?

Seriously, ever since getting the first airship in FF7, I've been oddly drawn to that sort of mechanic in games; mainly where you could walk around and take extra time and risk way more, OR you could try to gain an airship that has a poo poo ton of advantages. I'm not expecting that experience with this game, but I am curious as to how they're implemented.

You don't really get to free roam but it's still an interesting wrinkle in the game and a change of pace from running the mazes. At a point in going through the mazes you'll find an airship that you can repair once you have 15 gumballs and some amount of gold. Once airborne you hit a button to explore the sky.

You'll find shops, ruins, small mazes to explore, islands swarming with monsters, and bosses flying around.

Your team of gumballs that fight on the deck of the airship there all have to either be from the same faction or be robots you find in some sky ruins. There are other airships with their own special skills to collect as well as a fuckton of skills that activate when you're in combat.

I've not played much of the airship yet so it might get even more complex than all that but either way I like the bit of variety it adds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FadedReality posted:

You don't really get to free roam but it's still an interesting wrinkle in the game and a change of pace from running the mazes. At a point in going through the mazes you'll find an airship that you can repair once you have 15 gumballs and some amount of gold. Once airborne you hit a button to explore the sky.

You'll find shops, ruins, small mazes to explore, islands swarming with monsters, and bosses flying around.

Your team of gumballs that fight on the deck of the airship there all have to either be from the same faction or be robots you find in some sky ruins. There are other airships with their own special skills to collect as well as a fuckton of skills that activate when you're in combat.

I've not played much of the airship yet so it might get even more complex than all that but either way I like the bit of variety it adds.

I appreciate the info, thanks!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Once you clear a certain dungeon, you get an option to repair a decrepit airship. You need fifteen gumballs on your roster and 500,000 gold to repair it. At that point, you get access to the Airship tab.

From there, you start flying, though it's mostly on rails. Click the Radar button to use one unit of battery (you start with 10/10, they recharge up to your max, which can be upgraded via gems) and find a random destination, which might be a ship to attack, an island to explore, a monster-populated island to attack, or a special dungeon event. They're pretty simple things. Fighting is back-and-forth and based on the team you select (which is based on gumball factions, plus robots you can assign as backup, and there are rare combo skills you can acquire). Difficulty ramps up slowly, and you can spend 1K gold to reset it back to 0 once a day.

You collect Relic Fragments via all this, and eventually you can also get them from a Relic dig icon on your map. Use these and other components to upgrade your airship (similar to feeding your gumballs), buy new airships, and it sort of spirals out of control from there. It's a neat minigame.

And, yeah, Gumball doesn't give you that much for your money but you don't need to spend it. I tipjared a dollar to get the Terminator gumball, which is worth doing IMHO as it's much-needed muscle for your Mage faction.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

delfin posted:

And, yeah, Gumball doesn't give you that much for your money but you don't need to spend it. I tipjared a dollar to get the Terminator gumball, which is worth doing IMHO as it's much-needed muscle for your Mage faction.

Do you mean real money? I have a few survey bucks lying around, so I'm more than willing to drop them on a worthwhile game, which, from the sheer number of posts here, seems to be the case for Gumballs & Dungeons.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I Am Bread is now on the Play Store, for $3.49.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Also for anyone doing airship stuff you can mash the red button to search faster. You don't have to wait for the animation just tap it five times and it'll five 5/5 locations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Do you mean real money? I have a few survey bucks lying around, so I'm more than willing to drop them on a worthwhile game, which, from the sheer number of posts here, seems to be the case for Gumballs & Dungeons.

Yes. Any gem purchase in the shop gets you the Terminator gumball, and the cheapest is a buck. They put out a big-discount daily offer but none of them have leapt at me yet because, as others are noting, they don't really feel like they're needed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

delfin posted:

Yes. Any gem purchase in the shop gets you the Terminator gumball, and the cheapest is a buck. They put out a big-discount daily offer but none of them have leapt at me yet because, as others are noting, they don't really feel like they're needed.

Ok, cool, thanks :)

Also, holy gently caress, is this game complicated/filled with stuff to do. :stare:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

delfin posted:

* Zerg Queen is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

:cool: Nice.

And so this isn't just an empty post, MMX Hillclimb is pretty fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does Boss Monster work across Android and iOS? If so, :toot:

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you can!

From http://www.digitalbossmonster.com/

quote:

PLAY WORLDWIDE

If you have an iPad and your friend has an Android tablet, you can still play together. You will be able to face your opponents no matter their platform or location!

So I guess that includes Steam, as well. Nice!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 21, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Does that Gumball game require an internet connection? I work in an area with seriously unreliable wifi and don't want to burn through my data.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Deakul posted:

Does that Gumball game require an internet connection? I work in an area with seriously unreliable wifi and don't want to burn through my data.

Yes it does, but I've been playing it nonstop for a couple weeks now and it's used about 40mb. Just download it and updates over wifi and you'll be fine.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kheldarn posted:

I Am Bread is now on the Play Store, for $3.49.

How are the controls for this on a phone?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Good news, there's an official Grumpy Cat game out.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

Yes it does, but I've been playing it nonstop for a couple weeks now and it's used about 40mb. Just download it and updates over wifi and you'll be fine.
I was thinking about trying this game since everyone is raving about it but are you saying it needs a constant internet connection to play? Most of my mobile gaming is on an underground train so I won't even bother if that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

PathAsc posted:

If you're playing Dawn of Titans, then GOON is up now as an Alliance. It's closed to keep pubs out and I have no loving clue what I'm doing other than killing poo poo. Please come play a mobile game I think?

This is kinda old and got buried in Gumball talk, but I'm playing this for a while. WashintongSA#Jc-~Z0 ingame. Pubbie alliances are the worst, hit me up with an invite please.