Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I mean, we're posting on Something Awful dot com. I don't know if any of us are using our time wisely.

I just like arguing about politics and since you're not supposed to do it in polite company and I live in Texas, this is my best alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's important to fight the battles where you can. Ellison is important. Rebuilding the DNC is important. Personally I'm working to rebuild the King's County DNC and eventually throwing out the corrupt county chairman who has been the proxy ruler of his fiefdom for about 40 years.

I can support both things.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Serf posted:

are we not all going to meetings and getting into the party on a local level when we're not here shitposting??

I certainly hope we all are

Okay maybe not all of us

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Majorian posted:

We don't need "most people" to organize for progressive change, though. You don't need tens of millions of people to organize to affect change among DNC members or whatever. Party leadership members tend to be cowards; getting a voice loud enough to spook them isn't as hard as you're making it seem.

uh, yeah you do. Because who gives a poo poo about the DNC if you don't have any actual ability to enact change once they get in to power?

I seem to remember a time, long ago, when there were 60 Democrats in the Senate and a huge majority in the House...

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Take a xanax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55FCQYvXkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtCZAVPjNQ

http://imgur.com/a/SMr4y

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

radical meme posted:

Your missing his bigger point. The Sanders/Ellison wing of the party can take it over if they want to but, where do you go from there? Exactly which states do you think Ellison or Sanders could be elected in outside of where they live? Which swing states is an Ellison or Sanders going to appeal to? I'll give you Michigan and Pennsylvania, maybe, but from there, is that sort of progressive politics going to play in Florida, Iowa, Ohio or Wisconsin? Is it going to even take hold in Oregon, Colorado, Washington or Nevada? Sure, take the loving party over, that's the easy part; the hard part is governing.

1. Florida we appeal to their desire for effective non corrupt governance, we appeal to them on their concerns about the water supply getting destroyed by big agro, we appeal to the misuse of the education budget.
2. Ohio. This is the state that 3 to 2 voted to reinstate collective bargaining, promise the end of NAFTA, promise that workers can get days off payed, promise road construction in distressed areas.
3. Iowa, see Ohio, but add concerns about education, also promise to punish those who illegally hire illegals. This way we can look to be tough on the issue while properly going after the facilitators. Also we can force the GOP to possibly also coopt such a message and in the process piss off their donors.

4. Wisconsin. Yeah I actually happen to live right next to it. Appeal to rural communities who have been abused by businesses favored by Walker. Promise to fight corruption. Also promise a balanced budget and say you'll do it by "punishing" the corrupt lackies of Walker by taking away their tax breaks Also promise to make Wisconsin Education GREAT again.

Part of the problem is if we take over we're going to risk losing Illinois for a few years because we're going to have to purge the Illinois Democrats of the corruption within.

Also with Michigan you can play up to Union house hols offer them a better deal, while also playing to people tired of Snyder and companies corruption. Fighting against corruption will have to be one of the ways we win, and in doing so we can begin to make the tea party fear by imprisoning alot of their idols.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's important to fight the battles where you can. Ellison is important. Rebuilding the DNC is important. Personally I'm working to rebuild the King's County DNC and eventually throwing out the corrupt county chairman who has been the proxy ruler of his fiefdom for about 40 years.

I can support both things.

Yeah, and here's the thing: the actual number of people in the Democratic Party who know anything about this strata of politics, and who don't agree with our viewpoint for the direction of the party? Pretty small. It's mostly inertia that we're going to have to deal with. Most Democrats don't know anything about rebuilding their local DNC. I think there are enough progressive activists who give a poo poo about this to spook the party in a leftward direction, personally.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

radical meme posted:

I just like arguing about politics and since you're not supposed to do it in polite company and I live in Texas, this is my best alternative.

I get to do it as part of my job (sort of) but I have to be respectful of people's opinions and can't make light of things like "death is certain" so I come here for the carnival-like atmosphere before I have to be serious again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

uh, yeah you do. Because who gives a poo poo about the DNC if you don't have any actual ability to enact change once they get in to power?

I seem to remember a time, long ago, when there were 60 Democrats in the Senate and a huge majority in the House...

Yes, but there's a difference between voting for Democratic candidates in elections, and actively participating in party politics on the local or even DNC chair level. In the latter cases, you don't need a majority of Democratic voters behind you - just enough voters who actually give a poo poo one way or the other about the direction the party takes.

e: A...vanguard, if you will.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Dec 21, 2016

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I get to do it as part of my job (sort of) but I have to be respectful of people's opinions and can't make light of things like "death is certain" so I come here for the carnival-like atmosphere before I have to be serious again.

this. i know for me that it gets awfully frustrating trying to get anything going in an area where inertia is slow to start and hard to overcome. cornbread communism memes are how i blow off steam and keep from calling the people within the party "a bunch of worthless bootlickers" when i get yet another non-answer.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I like to come her and get mad or at least passionate about poo poo because in real life you got to try not to piss people off so much. Also I can be less concerned about looking stupid, a privilege I take full advantage of here.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What a weird coincidence that the same people accusing Bernie supporters in the primary of being conspiracy theorists and flaming them for "melting down" when they said Clinton was gonna lose are now framing people suspicious of the DNC as conspiracy theorists and claiming progressives could never win in most of the country.

Lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
im more of a bernie ho

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

And they wanna see good results from the leftist sanders faction by 2018! Or the reactionaries are gonna get ya!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

And they wanna see good results from the leftist sanders faction by 2018! Or the reactionaries are gonna get ya!

I'm still not quite sure - are we the reactionaries or are they?

Or is it some third party?

Is it the Greens!?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
it's real fukken tedious, getting accused of being a shrill hill shill for not seeing grand betrayals in every shadow

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bump_fn posted:

im more of a bernie ho

:same:

paranoid randroid posted:

it's real fukken tedious, getting accused of being a shrill hill shill for not seeing grand betrayals in every shadow

exactly why as a bernie supporter

did i make that clear, im the bernie supporter here please dont lynch me, its me im the supporting of bernie

that im ridiculing the people who are trying to huddle to that excuse as being accosted because they were a bernie supporter :chloe:

i dont even know what you're arguing about but the projection is real and bill mitchell was right

you're all just holograms of your pale self

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Dec 21, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bump_fn posted:

im more of a bernie ho

A card-carrying member of the Lemon Party?:haw:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
not to go too much into detail (because RULES) but as somebody who has been unfortunately posting since the very very very beginning i can safely say that both sides are hypocrites

which is not surprising because everybody's a hypocrite

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
It's me, I'm the guy that calls a prediction about a possible series of events a conspiracy theory.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

We're only worried that they are supporting Ellison in the same way we supported Clinton, that's all.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

logikv9 posted:

not to go too much into detail (because RULES) but as somebody who has been unfortunately posting since the very very very beginning i can safely say that both sides are hypocrites

no im a hippogryph

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

logikv9 posted:

its like we say things that we intend to want, but the reality of the situation doesn't match that

huh, how about that

im the holographic hypocrite

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NumberLast posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that calls a prediction about a possible series of events a conspiracy theory.

The corncob conspiracy...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

logikv9 posted:

i love hypocricy

Serf
May 5, 2011

I took the hypocritic oath so this is how it's gotta be

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
There's nothing wrong with accepting support from different political factions, but just because Schumer endorsed Ellison doesn't mean that the Democratic party is embracing progressive politics.

Like, accept the help and also build actual support of true believers. :v:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

NumberLast posted:

There's nothing wrong with accepting support from different political factions, but just because Schumer endorsed Ellison doesn't mean that the Democratic party is embracing progressive politics.

:yeah::same::agreed:

then because i am so good and morally superior, i will backstab the non-believers who don't fit in the ideal vision of the world that i will create and throw them off the tarpeian rock to their violent ends, because as morally just as I am, im allowed to kill and reshape events at my behest that i deem fit.

Wow, power corrupts everyone.... :twisted:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

its like we say things that we intend to want, but the reality of the situation doesn't match that

huh, how about that

im the holographic hypocrite

my doctoral thesis was on holographic models

ask me anything about holography

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, I could give a gently caress whether Ellison or Perez or somebody else takes over at the DNC. It's not like they are going to be able to magically produce results or viable candidates just by taking the job. Hell, Priebus didn't have gently caress-all to do with the rise and election of Trump. You can dick around all day with the party platform or cute slogans or party direction, and accomplish nothing unless you can recruit viable candidates and get them funded. That's my major concern. If you can't get competent people that can communicate to the electorate in swing districts and states and then get them funded, you're going nowhere. So whatever candidate can do that, I'm all on board for them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NumberLast posted:

I don't think anyone is assuming Schumer has seen the light, and isn't just doing what is politically convenient for him.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bump_fn posted:

is the universe a hologram

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bump_fn posted:

can you like tell someone's personality based on the rendering of their models?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

NumberLast posted:

Why you gotta be so cynical man

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bump_fn posted:

are my eyes real

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

radical meme posted:

Honestly, I could give a gently caress whether Ellison or Perez or somebody else takes over at the DNC. It's not like they are going to be able to magically produce results or viable candidates just by taking the job. Hell, Priebus didn't have gently caress-all to do with the rise and election of Trump. You can dick around all day with the party platform or cute slogans or party direction, and accomplish nothing unless you can recruit viable candidates and get them funded. That's my major concern. If you can't get competent people that can communicate to the electorate in swing districts and states and then get them funded, you're going nowhere. So whatever candidate can do that, I'm all on board for them.

I don't disagree, but putting a progressive in that office is a significant symbolic gesture to, at the very least, committed activists saying that the Democrats are willing to support them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bump_fn posted:

give me your finest illusory graph

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone is assuming Schumer has seen the light, and isn't just doing what is politically convenient for him.

well yeah obviously Schumer is just blowing in the political wind here

im just saying that if you go into this with the assumption that its a calculated move to set Ellison and the left up to take the fall for 2018, youre going to give yourself a stress aneurysm.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

is the universe a hologram

in a vague sense that quantum gravity is best understood via holographic duality, there is a sense in which you can think of teh universe as a hologram

Lastgirl posted:

can you like tell someone's personality based on the rendering of their models?

yes

Al! posted:

are my eyes real

nope owned bitch

Yinlock posted:

give me your finest illusory graph

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

well yeah obviously Schumer is just blowing in the political wind here

im just saying that if you go into this with the assumption that its a calculated move to set Ellison and the left up to take the fall for 2018, youre going to give yourself a stress aneurysm.
I think that Schumer would be fine with Ellison leading the party to victory, and that he would also be fine having an easy scapegoat to blame the loss on. I also think it's possible he believes Democratic chances in 2018 are not very good.

Whether you want to call that "setting Ellison up to take the fall" is up to you, but if I was in his position I know I would jump at the chance to support Ellison and cover my bases like that.

• Locked thread