Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

it was these guys http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

they came with a $99 office 365 key in the box lol

v nice price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

univbee posted:

I'm not sure if they are now; at launch, win10 had a 1 gig minimum ram requirement for the 32-bit version, but the anniversary update says you need 2 gigs now

nothing measurable changed afaik, mostly just microsoft correctly noting that it is a bit lovely to sell anyone a 1gb system ityool 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nothing measurable changed afaik, mostly just microsoft correctly noting that it is a bit lovely to sell anyone a 1gb system ityool 2016

About time, only took them 10 years

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
going for that yospos demographic

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

going for that yospos demographic

delete the cat thread and ban everyone in it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

this but the opposite

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Dodoman posted:

that's why it's called a winbook

:eyepop:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

dont be mean to me posted:

An Ivy Bridge-era Atom from Q1 '14.

I'm actually vaguely impressed it's Windows 10 compatible. I'm also disappointed that it is, but it's not the tablet's fault that Microsoft still insists on making a 32-bit edition of Windows.

when did windows finally drop 386 support? 486?

or did they ever? could one bodge up a 16MHz 80386 system with 2GB RAM (say via bus interposing) and install Windows 10?

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 20, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

eschaton posted:

or did they ever? could one bodge up a 16MHz 80386 system with 2GB RAM (say via bus interposing) and install Windows 10?

looks like windows 98 was the last that officially had a minimum req of a 486 dx2

wikipedia says u can install it on a 386 tho. lol.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDmXBKZXqf0

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

windows 10 specifies 1GHz or faster CPU but not an instruction set. and thats wrong anyways, a version of windows 10 will run on the 400MHz P54C Quarks.

edit: that video is a p5, so i would dare to say that windows xp+ will install on any p5

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 20, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Windows 8.1/10 x86_32 *shiver* merely requires PAE, NX and SSE2.

Windows 8.1/10 x86_64 also requires CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PREFETCHW, which are supported by all but the earliest (or most cutthroat, Intel) AMD64 and EM64T CPUs (although some supported CPUs will get frozen out by their motherboards' support because the manufacturer was a cheapass or segmented the market really hard).

I'm not familiar with Windows RT/10 ARM requirements.

So yeah, a good ten years or so of processors are in theory capable of Windows 10. My guess is the minimum will be ratcheted up as instruction sets are found necessary and/or useful, but something like a Sandy Bridge CPU will probably die of electromigration or live to see a world where Windows is gone or unrecognizable rather than be sent home by Windows.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 20, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

good thing microsoft is quickly moving to linux and linux runs on anything

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i found the "real" windows hardware requirements page, including complete listings of allowed ARM SoCs and etc

apparently the quarks won't work with IoT core, it does indeed need pae, nx and sse2. i really thought IoT core could be installed on the edison boards but i guess not

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol windows 10 is such poo poo. my system tray clock keeps forgetting to update (system time is correct though because a correct clock pops up when you click the inocrrect clock, lol) and the graphics chips slowly chokes itself until poo poo just stops animating (including stuff filling into windows at all) and you have to reboot. who know what loving update did this because all the ms support threads on this topic have indian techs telling people to replace their cmos batteries when theyve very clearly said the system time is correct.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

infernal machines posted:

i'm not trying to do anything, these are just scenarios i've seen due to people creating a microsoft account with their work email address at any time in the past decade, then moving the work domain to office 365 infrastructure

it fucks poo poo up bad. and it's hilarious.

keep in mind for a year or two after office 365 launched, there wasn't a work/school or personal account choice, poo poo just broke. now it just mostly breaks. they didn't plan for this at all

the personal and org accounts are different in a fun way. a personal account of buttfartmagic@contoso.com actually is registered in the tenant as buttfartmagic_contoso#EXT#@contoso.omicrosoft.com which is super great when you're trying to manage the account with powershell and can't loving find it

but yeah I think Microsoft recently banned making personal accounts with work addresses because it messes everything up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LentThem posted:

but yeah I think Microsoft recently banned making personal accounts with work addresses because it messes everything up

ah, so that's why i couldn't have my coworker added to our test azure account recently making a personal account with their work email

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

came to this thread to say that I saw someone using Windows Phone in the wild today

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what was his name

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

came to this thread to say that I saw someone using Windows Phone in the wild today

you should have gone up and said hi, odds are it'd be either me or shaggar

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol windows 10 is such poo poo. my system tray clock keeps forgetting to update (system time is correct though because a correct clock pops up when you click the inocrrect clock, lol) and the graphics chips slowly chokes itself until poo poo just stops animating (including stuff filling into windows at all) and you have to reboot. who know what loving update did this because all the ms support threads on this topic have indian techs telling people to replace their cmos batteries when theyve very clearly said the system time is correct.

previous update had problems with daylight savings not changing because I was in a different region than the language on my laptop. turning internet time off and on fixed it but really?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

windows phone is good.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Shaggar posted:

windows phone is good.

:chloe:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you should have gone up and said hi, odds are it'd be either me or shaggar

Were u on a flight to Orlando last night

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i use the windows phone 7 sms sound on my iphone cause it's nice and i've never seen a single person with one. thanks ms.

edit: link to m4r if anyone wants it. it's gr8. short and super recognizable.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 21, 2016

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

i use the windows phone 7 sms sound on my iphone cause it's nice and i've never seen a single person with one. thanks ms.

edit: link to m4r if anyone wants it. it's gr8. short and super recognizable.

lol if u have sound on on ur phone like ever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use the Tom cruise scream from that new mummy trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vArfMDmmo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
To my pleasure I found out that it is still a thing in Excel that you can't right click a column header (or row for that matter) and insert a column if you have anything in the clipboard.

The only option you get is to insert copied cells.

You have to go to the ribbon and insert one that way like some loving mong.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

some loving mong.

Uhhhhhhh gently caress off

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Uhhhhhhh gently caress off

eat a bag of dicks

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

To my pleasure I found out that it is still a thing in Excel that you can't right click a column header (or row for that matter) and insert a column if you have anything in the clipboard.

The only option you get is to insert copied cells.

You have to go to the ribbon and insert one that way like some loving mong.

How come if all I do is double click a cell in Excel it asks me to confirm that I don't want to save changes?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

How come if all I do is double click a cell in Excel it asks me to confirm that I don't want to save changes?

It's recalculated the entire workbook

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

even moving the cell cursor will prompt you with a save dialog

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

probably the same minds who brought you "deleted emails in outlook need to show an unread count in the trash can"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

open a blank excel document

type a letter

Click undo

try to exit. "Do you want to save your changes?" :psyduck"

similarly if you do the exact same thing in MS Word or Paint it will not ask you to save

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boiled Water posted:

even moving the cell cursor will prompt you with a save dialog

Yes,

Captain Foo posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

open a blank excel document

type a letter

Click undo

try to exit. "Do you want to save your changes?" :psyduck"

similarly if you do the exact same thing in MS Word or Paint it will not ask you to save

it is saving the edit history

seems of dubious value to write code to recognize one specific case of no modification happening either way, since e.g. typing the letter and then backspacing it will still cause the same behavior

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why bother calculating anything when I'm gagging about looking at numbers and immediately close the workbook again? it just strikes as weird since if I were to scroll around in a word document it doesn't prompt me for saving all that scrolling activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im guessing its ancient legacy behavior where checking on the state of excel itself was more efficient than checking if the document had actually been changed.

• Locked thread