Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Don't let my previous posts put you under the impression that I think you should stop buying ships. I think you should oft buy ships, buy all the ships.

buy ships

I was on the fence before but you've convinced me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not Toast, but I'm also not worried about what I spent. It's funny how the lot of you are more concerned about my financial well-being than I.

Are you Toast?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

^^^^^^ He's so toasty he's the Toastman.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually this is why I figured they use the numbering convention they do. Since these patches should be like 0.0026 or 0.026 or 0.2.6 or something.

I'd thought of this but it seemed so obvious that I just assumed it had already been discussed. You can play fun comparison games with it: for instance, at version 2.6 Linux was already running half the internet, or qemu 2.6 came out earlier this year and could already simulate entire computers, you get the idea. In computer jargon anything over 1.0 is a stable, functional product so it's no wonder CIG/RSI has to lie about it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah this. Also because you seem like an okay guy apart from this one thing

for the first year or two a lot of people felt bad about the scamming of sadbrains people. Until the scam stretched out so long.

It kind of makes us look callous now but when you have four years to watch an idiot furry octuple down on the dream while writing a new bible on being an idiot you kind of start being harsh and not liking these guys.

At least MoMA keeps it contained to this thread for the most part and is mostly alright despite causing the conflict where people use reason to try and reason him out of a faith based viewpoint.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tippis posted:

Seems reasonable enough. It's just that the end result, at least from the outside, is that you all look like a bunch of paranoid violence-fetichistic nutcases — in large part because of that obviously emotional response… :D

And that's from someone who fully agrees that shooting is a fun hobby, and who's just as annoyed with the current EU drive to ramp up weapon ownership restrictions.

The last time I spoke with a guy about introducing gun control in the States he made a good point. Even if you could convince everybody you'd still have the problem of actually introducing it.

Say you make it so that most people can't legally possess a gun, you've then got the problem that there are millions of the things out there. All the good, law-abiding people hand over their guns, all the criminals hang onto theirs. Straight away criminals will be robbing people at gunpoint and the masses will want their guns back.

You still don't solve the problem of having shootings. You still have to have police who will assume anyone they're dealing with has a gun.

It would be really hard to do even from a practical point of view and would likely take decades to get straightened out, decades where you would need to keep the public sentiment on the gun-control side of the argument.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Trying to reason Moma out of being a whale is like trying to glean new information from a Dr. Smart blog, just laugh at everything and laugh more when it all goes tits up.

Oh and buy ships

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should make it illegal to get shot, problem solved

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

They should make it illegal to get shot, problem solved

I'm just spitballing here, but what if all guns from now on have that comedy bang banner?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pimblor posted:

I'm just spitballing here, but what if all guns from now on have that comedy bang banner?

It would certainly stop people breaking the law by being shot

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Fat Shat Sings posted:

for the first year or two a lot of people felt bad about the scamming of sadbrains people. Until the scam stretched out so long.

It kind of makes us look callous now but when you have four years to watch an idiot furry octuple down on the dream while writing a new bible on being an idiot you kind of start being harsh and not liking these guys.

At least MoMA keeps it contained to this thread for the most part and is mostly alright despite causing the conflict where people use reason to try and reason him out of a faith based viewpoint.

Yep. You can only watch someone refuse to leave a bad situation so many times before you just stop giving a poo poo. At least with Star Citizen it's just a video game

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pimblor posted:

Because then you have to worry about either putting their eye out or dealing with all the feels after scaring them.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Anyone else notice the "Player Relations Team" in Beer's emails? lol

Also hilarious Will Leverett himself responded and handled it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ewe2 posted:

^^^^^^ He's so toasty he's the Toastman.

I'd thought of this but it seemed so obvious that I just assumed it had already been discussed. You can play fun comparison games with it: for instance, at version 2.6 Linux was already running half the internet, or qemu 2.6 came out earlier this year and could already simulate entire computers, you get the idea. In computer jargon anything over 1.0 is a stable, functional product so it's no wonder CIG/RSI has to lie about it.

0.2.6 would be immensely more accurate than 2.6.

I think this prototype should get a letter designation or a single word designation until they prove they are capable of making an actual alpha release that could be classified as 0.0.1.

THREE POINT OHHH In stores downloadable? now 2015 2016 2017?

Edit: I got a copy of unreal engine. I just modded a default FPS environment to make everyone look like Goku, it's 10x better than Star Marine. This is my 2.0 release, give me $140,000,000.

3.0 comes with vegeta. There will never be a 4.0.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 21, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nawledgelambo posted:

Of course, he did. They release Beer is big, pissed, orky and has some deff shootaz!

And if THAT didn't work, he would escalate and send them crying pictures of his adorable offspring.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 21, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

nawledgelambo posted:

If I was Sandi I would totally send Beer a snarky 'goodbye, good riddance' email because that's what filthy leavers deserve.

**Intern, pass that idea on**

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

you underestimate my connections

If anything, I suspect we overestimate your abilities

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

Will seems to be about the only competent person in that whole shitshow.

Sorry about the albatross around your career Will.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

you underestimate my connections

I'm pretty sure your dick is connected to your own rear end in a top hat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ash1138 posted:

why is the tab key "scan?"

tab key is for the scoreboard, map, or inventory

Other keys have already been mapped, depending on shift, control, alt, left control, and left alt. This is the "simulator" part of the game. Right before you jump into a basic FPS game from 2006. It is a game full to the brim with "no cohesive vision".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
On the subject of Early Access:

Factorio.

It's one of two games I've ever bought into in an incomplete state. The other was kickstarting Planetary Annihilation, which was meh, but $20 buck for a mediocre game is hardly a huge issue.

Factorio is a fairly niche, indie little game about building factories. The trailer demonstrates it better than I can explain, but basically you start crashlanded on a planet with nothing but a pick and the ability to hand-craft items, and end up with a monster factory spanning hundreds of screens that lets you automate stripmining a continent and can replicate itself using an army of thousands of swarming helper robots.

I first started playing Factorio back in early 2014.

It is the anti-star citizen.

From earlier than I started playing it, the game existed as a vertical slice, with all systems intact. The endgame goal of creating a rocket launchpad (though without the ability to actually launch the rocket) was in place, and you could effectively play a full game of it from start to finish. They then began developing outwards off of that slice, and adding additional systems and technologies that gave the game greater complexity and enhanced the game loop.

They initially had extensive use of placeholder graphics until the systems underlying them were polished, and then upgraded them to quite nice, albeit pixel-based polished graphics.

They make excellent use of Dev Blogs. :siren: Seriously, look at this if nothing else. It shows that they have a plan, outlines how they are going to try to implement it, and also shows that they have given strong consideration to what might go wrong and how to mediate that. And this is one of 159 weekly blogs.

Actually, check out this one as well. Notice how it's explaining technical concepts and advising how they're approaching them, and not just saying "We hope to have optimization in the game, it's going to be really, really cooooooool"?

They have a well-thought-out plan for development. Recently, for their 0.13.x updates they devoted all development to multiplayer.

That's it.

Just adding multiplayer to the game. Adding additional features or altering existing systems was put on absolute hold, until absolutely everything else was stable and multiplayer was in the game and running at releasable levels of performance. With ~255 players able to connect at once.

Development of this game is taking a while, but even in the last couple of years as it's been essentially feature-complete I've had a blast playing it, and it has literally never crashed on me.

Granted, this is a tiny indie niche game that is never going to make huge waves (though it's received an overwhelmingly positive reception on Steam so far), but after following the CIG shitshow for so long it's amazing to contrast the different approaches.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pimblor posted:

They will have to pry it from my cold dead gay hands.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://youtu.be/so2pDP7Jsmo

No game but AMAZING FACIALS

Adorable. The JPG simulator powered by JPGs - physical laws must be broken in the process.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

I was making GBS threads up the CIG discord last night, I said everyone should read SA for their Star Citizen news and a bunch of cultists actually said this thread is a good source of info. (It is, but that's pretty sad for the most open development ever.) Do better CIG!

You simply must pass on this cig Discord thing, and then coordinate with me when we can be present. Hopefully I don't have to have actually purchased anything though. :)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Breetai posted:

(stuff about Factorio)

Compare and contrast: Factorio's devblogs about their networking and how it all works, versus Chris mumbling about the cloud

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

<puts on his stretchy purple pants>
:argh:

I have a pair of those too. Let's all rage together. :3:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Breetai posted:

Logical development babble

Obviously a fake, not once did they use the word "refactor"

Also, love Factorio

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

look at this cool boy, he got he very own plate

now none of the sc boys can laugh at this cool boy

Just don't underestimate his... connections. The soft, lovingly hand crafted connections he made himself, and keeps tight with a designer belt.

If only we could all bask in these connections, we would be enlightened and be allowed into Citizen Nitvana.

Until then though, :airquote:connections:airquote:.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ripptide posted:

Obviously a fake, not once did they use the word "refactor"

Also, love Factorio

ReFactorio

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Foo Diddley posted:

Compare and contrast: Factorio's devblogs about their networking and how it all works, versus Chris mumbling about the cloud

Clearly only one of these people understands game development. :smuggo:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

peter gabriel posted:

Are you Toast?

He is. There is no way they would give me or beer a refund otherwise. case closed. goonies dont get refunds- people only become goons after refunds - shitizen logic wins again!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

The Titanic posted:

Just don't underestimate his... connections. The soft, lovingly hand crafted connections he made himself, and keeps tight with a designer belt.

If only we could all bask in these connections, we would be enlightened and be allowed into Citizen Nitvana.

but is it shaved? the boss is asking. hairy belts are passe and out of fashion these days so she says.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What even kills him there? He drove into a Mario Kart powerup and died?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

it's not very compassionate to withhold the wisdom that would grant us enlightenment

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
lol at this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jmm4l/a_bit_of_halo_bled_through_on_this_one/
https://puu.sh/iUO1P/0a749c7d6e.png

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Archered it!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Raskolnikov posted:

I was making GBS threads up the CIG discord last night, I said everyone should read SA for their Star Citizen news and a bunch of cultists actually said this thread is a good source of info. (It is, but that's pretty sad for the most open development ever.) Do better CIG!

It is funny how they tout that as open development. The truth is the most open would be camelot unchained and Mark Jacobs. He gives the good and the bad no sugar coating and is real and honest. One of the few devs I can say I actually believe and trust.
Honourable mention to Dan at Warhorse as well - Although he isnt as communicative as Mark is but the same as things go - good, bad and ugly. He had to cut features for the launch and said sorry we had to make the call and I did but you can expect Y going forward.

There are great studios out there then there is CIG and poo poo Roberts the bald Pirate.

Just my 2c or refund or what the gently caress ever.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Breetai posted:

On the subject of Early Access:

Factorio.

It's one of two games I've ever bought into in an incomplete state. The other was kickstarting Planetary Annihilation, which was meh, but $20 buck for a mediocre game is hardly a huge issue.

Just adding multiplayer to the game. Adding additional features or altering existing systems was put on absolute hold, until absolutely everything else was stable and multiplayer was in the game and running at releasable levels of performance. With ~255 players able to connect at once.

The chaos, the horror, the fun of 255 players trying to build and optimize a blue science production belt getting only raw ressources from a train...

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
"Vanessa making sure you can take a good nap!" [Imgur from Sandi]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh. I'm out of posts.

To celebrate I present the actual, not fooling, origin of Disco Lando.

This video is older than some of the posters in this thread!

https://handcraftedfilms.com/1998/08/22/godzilla-versus-disco-lando/

Note: this is the weakest of his early work. Kung Fu Kenobi's big adventure is a lot better.

Also arfjason your trolling shows flashes of brilliance, but you gotta be willing to put in the work and stick the landing! Call your mom, she's disappointed in you.