Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Star citizen: you've got the wrong salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3m-Zu3qgM4&t=84s

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

Every mission is complete and has already been grey/white boxed.

Much like how Star Marine was already in the game

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

:eyepop:

And yet they have absolutely nothing to show , we have seen zero evidence they even have story boarding complete

The last actual sq42 video I even remember was from the mocap session with the soldiers busting into a room , they used that for hype and that was like 2 years ago lol

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

"Car salesman." You guys need to stop licking Derek's taint. Or, lick it harder and wetter in the awesome troll you've engaged. Either way, you've got the wrong salesman.

:salt: Salt mine.jpeg :salt:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

FUCKIN GOT 'EM

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I'm bored so I'm watching the CitizenCON presentation I ignored earlier this year. Is it anywhere near the level of hilarity of the holiday stream?

So far it's been weird sandy and heavy handwavey bullshit and if it's 2 hours of this I'm gonna watch paint dry, or play a PC game instead

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

ManofManyAliases posted:

Serious question, we know the AI is broken/non existant, the flight model and Fps even are not remotely finalized, the main enemies not in game yet, basic animations still being created, I could go on. All these things are what you build levels around.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU BELIEVE THAT?????

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

BeefThief posted:

I'm bored so I'm watching the CitizenCON presentation I ignored earlier this year. Is it anywhere near the level of hilarity of the holiday stream?

So far it's been weird sandy and heavy handwavey bullshit and if it's 2 hours of this I'm gonna watch paint dry, or play a PC game instead

Literally nothing happens until the demo. Go to when chris tells em no SQ42 you can hear a pin drop.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

TheLightPurges posted:

Literally nothing happens until the demo. Go to when chris tells em no SQ42 you can hear a pin drop.

what's up with sandy and this fake tattoo? Why's she crying again? What's going on?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

BeefThief posted:

what's up with sandy and this fake tattoo? Why's she crying again? What's going on?

I have no idea and we kinda glossed over it, it wasnt enough about her this year or something

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chris hasn't whiteboxed poo poo. These are the same people that have said Ben actually got to play through all the missions and then fail to produce a single controlled showing of the first mission.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

And yet we haven't seen hide nor hair of anything related to SQ42 for what, like a year? Don't tell me you legit buy into the "it's all too special to leak" excuse.

The way I see it there's two options:

A) SQ42 is all almost done and just needs art assets and polish - which means CIG has been lying through their teeth about "open development" because nobody's seen poo poo about it for a year.

or

B) SQ42 is in such a lovely state that they can't even show anything for it. They won't show a trailer because they have no idea when it's gonna be done and they can't show a gameplay video because there isn't any - which means CIG has been lying about EVERYTHING ELSE.

Is there some explanation for this other than the "Chris Roberts doesn't want his creative genius spoiled" thing reddit keeps throwing around? If SQ42 is all but done why aren't some of the major mechanics that must go along with it (cargo, boarding, etc.) implemented in a way that we can see? Or hell, forget implemented, why aren't they even described in a recent document somewhere?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Chris hasn't whiteboxed poo poo. These are the same people that have said Ben actually got to play through all the missions and then fail to produce a single controlled showing of the first mission.

I think in the mind of Chris Roberts and his inner circle, playing the game is identical to reading a list of proposed features, then having a hand-wavey discussion about how it would work if somebody made it. The message that gets out is that Ben Lesnick totally played the whole game you guys, and it's accepted on faith because the scam is really a cult.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I trust that CIG has open development.

CIG hasn't shown anything.

Therefore CIG has nothing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nononononononono

CIG can't show us everything or else they'd compromise open development

In order to provide the most open development ever, they have to keep us in the dark

War is peace
Ignorance is strength
Ketchup is a vegetable

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BeefThief posted:

There's a scripted, buggy demo that comes at the end, only of interest for its level of scam exposure. The Polaris commercial I found funny unintentionally, tricking people into thinking they're watching a Squaalude 32 preview and then it's just a corny ad for another lame ship :laugh:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hold on there, champ; maybe you just don't understand game development? For example, I'm looking at a slide from the CitizenCon presentation that says the game due for release in March will have "fully systemic" "subsumption" AI, with 24-hour schedules, 1000+ subroutines and simultaneous secondary objectives. You saying they can't deliver?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

cool new Polack jokes posted:

There's a scripted, buggy demo that comes at the end, only of interest for its level of scam exposure. The Polaris commercial I found funny unintentionally, tricking people into thinking they're watching a Squaalude 32 preview and then it's just a corny ad for another lame ship :laugh:

The guy who shouts "SHAME ON YOU" is my favorite lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

That was me, you could hear me from the UK

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

And yet we haven't seen hide nor hair of anything related to SQ42 for what, like a year? Don't tell me you legit buy into the "it's all too special to leak" excuse.

I'd buy that, because if they showed 2 minutes of footage in a trailer, it would comprise about 40% of the finished prelude.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What was he talking about here?

Is that referring to the Gary Oldman speech?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Wrecked Angle posted:

The last time I spoke with a guy about introducing gun control in the States he made a good point. Even if you could convince everybody you'd still have the problem of actually introducing it.

Say you make it so that most people can't legally possess a gun, you've then got the problem that there are millions of the things out there. All the good, law-abiding people hand over their guns, all the criminals hang onto theirs. Straight away criminals will be robbing people at gunpoint and the masses will want their guns back.

You still don't solve the problem of having shootings. You still have to have police who will assume anyone they're dealing with has a gun.

It would be really hard to do even from a practical point of view and would likely take decades to get straightened out, decades where you would need to keep the public sentiment on the gun-control side of the argument.

TBF the issue encompasses many different aspects of firearms regulation and legislation making it a more complex topic than simply "allowing or banning guns." There are different strains of gun violence as well. it is not a simple issue of good guys and bad guys out in the world. Every criminal commits a "first crime", before which they were not a criminal. Not all crime is planned by masterminds who chose criminality as their profession there are many crimes of opportunity committed. There are also crimes related to an otherwise normal individual's deteriorating mental health, crimes of passion, accidents, and crimes committed under the influence of substances. There are many different issues about what sorts of guns should be allowed. Most people on both sides have some sort of sense that the ordinary public should not have access to extremely destructive weapons for general safety, but the issue is what exactly the definition of "extremely destructive" is. There are millions of guns out there but they are of all different kinds. Some of them are antiques, handguns, long guns, rifles, shotguns.

My main point is that the issue is more complicated than most people are willing to accept.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

That was me, you could hear me from the UK

You really need to learn to control your rage commando, you mustn't shout loud enough to be heard across the Atlantic, it really fucks up migration patterns for lots of animals.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ManofManyAliases posted:

The first and second halves of this sentence completely contradict each other.

It's like a restaurant saying "Sir, your meal is complete. We have the recipe written down and the ingredients were delivered."

...I can't even tell what is a serious statement anymore, but yours cannot possibly be one.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

I wonder how Bungie would respond to this?

I should ask them, I suppose, if I want to find out:
https://twitter.com/Evil_Greven/status/811732174642810881

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

"Chump run" is what they called me in college

No doxxing damnitall...mods?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've given this three times now. I want to see SQ42 drop in its entirety next year (2017) and real progress made with the (star)systems. That is to say, everything that alpha 4.0 was touted to be - should be in 2017.

So....never then? After all, you're "technically" happy if all they do is change the number in front of the patch, right?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've given this three times now. I want to see SQ42 drop in its entirety next year (2017) and real progress made with the (star)systems. That is to say, everything that alpha 4.0 was touted to be - should be in 2017.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

BeefThief posted:

What was he talking about here?

Is that referring to the Gary Oldman speech?

Think he means they have all the various holiday condos they want rented.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

How can any mission be complete if they don't have AI working yet?

e: f;b

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

That man was no longer heard from

Rumours say he was stimperialized

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well pardon me for thinking the absolute disaster of the livestream and the hilarity of 2.6 might have actually made you reconsider your $8k spaceship portfolio .

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ManofManyAliases posted:

you underestimate my connections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5wWA75skc

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Like how SQ42 was supposed to be 2015?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

"Je onderschat mijn kracht" is my new catchphrase

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

That makes for a large dick.

Or non standard rear end in a top hat placement.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think what you meant to say here was that the total number of missions was scaled down dramatically, the intended content was lobotomized to the simplest possible structure, and each mission functioned exactly one time during developer testing as long as they did exactly the right things at exactly the right times.

Minimum viable product, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Meanwhile in reality, it's all broken to poo poo, talented people are leaving and the top brass don't know what to do apart from plan layoffs to cut costs..