Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't find the Plinkett sidestuff funny or interesting at all, but it's always felt like it was designed to acknowledge that trying to read movies that are themselves illiterate and historically unimportant (as the art goes) is itself kind of dumb.

I enjoy more of their short stuff better these days, like Scientist Man Explains Terminator Genisys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJiSZhA5cg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No matter how much I dislike Red Letter Media, at least they're not Cinema Sins, which is literally just a list of dumbass complaints like "The studio logo is too long" or "This character drinks coffee late at night".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

twistedmentat posted:

No matter how much I dislike Red Letter Media, at least they're not Cinema Sins, which is literally just a list of dumbass complaints like "The studio logo is too long" or "This character drinks coffee late at night".

Their video for alien is fantastic because he rants about how a deep space ore refinery isn't aerodynamic and none of the ships looks like airplanes and he's such a big scify fan but it it's so dumb when the spaceships can't land on earth.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

"*Attractive actress* isn't giving me a lap dance in this scene"

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

twistedmentat posted:

All of those Cinema Sins videos just end up being a bunch of bitching. As was mentioned back up in the thread, RLM's "Best of the Worst" is probably the best thing they do. I've seen a lot more great schlocky B-movies thanks to their recommendations, some of which I'd have never heard of otherwise.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The word "webzone" is funny but other than that I can take or leave the side-quest element of RLM reviews

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also they respect the fact that DS9 is the best and Voyager is trash.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Have they ever said much about the TOS movies? I can't remember if they did.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Tikifire posted:

He comments in a few reviews how The One With The Whales was the highest-grossing of all time (until JJTrek I think?) as a contrast to the "Star Trek on the big screen must be dark broody action movie!" concept that all the TNG movies seemed to embrace.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

He also said his favorite is "The Boring One" (TMP), which earned him points in my book.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Boring One is visually fantastic and particularly amazing on Blu Ray. The rest of it is pretty meh.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Pieces of Peace posted:

He comments in a few reviews how The One With The Whales was the highest-grossing of all time (until JJTrek I think?) as a contrast to the "Star Trek on the big screen must be dark broody action movie!" concept that all the TNG movies seemed to embrace.

I do remember watching their TNG Movie reviews and they were spot on in their criticisms of them. That he likes TMP is a big point winner for me too. I actually throw that movie on occasionally as background noise when I'm doing other things. I still dig it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Tikifire posted:

They had an audio commentary track for Star Trek V iirc.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

dont even fink about it posted:

The Boring One is visually fantastic and particularly amazing on Blu Ray. The rest of it is pretty meh.

I still prefer the Director's Cut edition, which still hasn't made it to Bluray.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The Boring One is a phenomenal science fiction film start to finish. It's long and a bit wanky at parts but it's a great movie with fantastic effects shots that aren't outdated and hokey enough to detract from the rest of the movie. The whole opening sequence with the Klingons establishes so much about the then-freshly minted Trek canon and about the premise of the film while looking so friggin cool.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TMP was the first Trek thing I ever saw. I think I must have been like ten or something.

It was utterly incomprehensible, I had no idea who these characters were or why everything was so plodding and ponderous like it was laden with importance. No idea who these shouting viking guys were, speaking a weird language and shooting space lasers in the first few minutes.

I only made it through about ten minutes (got to the pointy-eared guy being talked to in more subtitles before giving up), and it was years before I looked at anything Trek again.

(Also this was on like a 21" CRT TV, so any cool-looking visuals would have been lost on me.)

That's my story

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CPColin posted:

I had a dream I was watching the first episode of Discovery. It had suddenly picked up a sponsor in an upstart cookie company, so the "O" in the logo was a chocolate chip cookie. Then the Enterprise showed up and had like five saucer sections.

This was from a few pages ago, but:

I too am a sad nerd who on several occasions has dreamed he was watching Star Trek

Specifically TOS. I've had several dreams where several "unfinished episodes" of star trek have been discovered, specifically ones made after "Turnabout intruder. In my mind's eye the first two episodes are finished but lack specific special effects; the third one was in the midst of filming when TOS was "cancelled."

Yes, the episodes are pretty surreal, why do you ask

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

Their video for alien is fantastic because he rants about how a deep space ore refinery isn't aerodynamic and none of the ships looks like airplanes and he's such a big scify fan but it it's so dumb when the spaceships can't land on earth.

Yea, the Warcraft one is really stupid because all it does is bitch about how cliche the whole premise is. Well, duh.

I love the choice in TMP to have it open with familiar shaped Klingon ships but more detailed, and then inside bam, Klingons that aren't just actors in yellowface. I also like how that brief scene showed an design for Klingon stuff that has been carried on since.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RLM is okay and their Stars Wars reviews are okay.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Are people like you really thinking that Cinema Sins is serious about that stuff? You do realise that their videos are not about "real" criticism, the whole point is doing stupid/nitpicky stuff. I mean I can understand that this isn't everyones cup of coffee (see what I did there? :p) but it seems people take it far too serious.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kinda wish I was in the alternate universe where Shatner didn't get budgetarily screwed making Star Trek V, having read a bunch about it in the 50 Year Mission book and elsewhere.

Good odds that it would still be terrible, but sometimes people talk about things that they had to throw away for budget reasons, and it just seems interesting.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

TMP was the first Trek thing I ever saw. I think I must have been like ten or something.

It was utterly incomprehensible, I had no idea who these characters were or why everything was so plodding and ponderous like it was laden with importance. No idea who these shouting viking guys were, speaking a weird language and shooting space lasers in the first few minutes.

I only made it through about ten minutes (got to the pointy-eared guy being talked to in more subtitles before giving up), and it was years before I looked at anything Trek again.

(Also this was on like a 21" CRT TV, so any cool-looking visuals would have been lost on me.)

That's my story

I was about 8 years old when TMP came out and I was all hyped after spending my formative years watching reruns of TOS (every week-night at about 5 or 6 pm).

My dad took me to see it at the theater and I remember being puzzled overall but still thinking it was cool because it was Kirk, Bones, Spock and crew on the big screen and the Enterprise looked glorious.

This was around the time that Mego was putting out their Trek figures and I had a few of them and a "phaser" that projected different swappable slides onto the wall (it was a glorified flashlight).

They talk about it and there's a picture of it here:

http://www.startrek.com/article/a-collectors-trek-4-remco-toys-of-the-1970undefineds

It was an amazing time to be a kid and a Trek fan.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MisterBibs posted:

I kinda wish I was in the alternate universe where Shatner didn't get budgetarily screwed making Star Trek V, having read a bunch about it in the 50 Year Mission book and elsewhere.

Good odds that it would still be terrible, but sometimes people talk about things that they had to throw away for budget reasons, and it just seems interesting.

Given Shatner's capacity for delusion and the Roddenberry-esque (not in a good way) nature of the the plot (Enterprise finding God in the center of the galaxy), it's hard to imagine how it couldn't have been a a total trainwreck, but I do wish it could have been a more spectacular, dramatic, and ambitious one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The crew of the Discovery had better all be wearing these.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm unfamiliar with Red Letter Media and Cinema Sins but I can't imagine they're any worse than Spoony Experiment. There's this whole weird subgenre of video review stuff on the internet either pre-YouTube or too copyright infringey to exist on YouTube that is mostly horrible trash.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Given Shatner's capacity for delusion and the Roddenberry-esque (not in a good way) nature of the the plot (Enterprise finding God in the center of the galaxy), it's hard to imagine how it couldn't have been a a total trainwreck, but I do wish it could have been a more spectacular, dramatic, and ambitious one.

Maybe we'd have finally gotten to see Kirk gently caress that mountain.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't let anyone on the internets or youtubes tell me what to think about the movies I watch and I don't give a crap what they think either.

:shrug: :smugdog:?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Captain Kirk is loving a mountain, why is he loving a mountain?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I got hooked from a mate showing me 'The Visitor' and spent the last 10 months slowly through DS9.

I'm not sure I can slog through the original series so what's the best way to go? Should I go back a series to The Next Generation or go forward to Voyager?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

I got hooked from a mate showing me 'The Visitor' and spent the last 10 months slowly through DS9.

I'm not sure I can slog through the original series so what's the best way to go? Should I go back a series to The Next Generation or go forward to Voyager?

I'm not a big TOS fan, but if you want you can go whole hog or find a viewing guide. TNG is insanely my poo poo if you can get through the first season and most of the second. Voyager is meh.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm not a big TOS fan, but if you want you can go whole hog or find a viewing guide. TNG is insanely my poo poo if you can get through the first season and most of the second. Voyager is meh.
Seasons 3-6 of TNG is probably the next-best Trek after DS9.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The Greatest Generation podcast is really enjoyable, but it took me quite a few episodes to get into. I really like how their little injokes stick and keep piling up, I think if you started listening from now, without going back to the beginning, you'd be pretty confused.

They're not even jokes at this point, they don't explain or even laugh at some of them any more. If you don't know what Jaking a Previa is, well that's on you for not listening to the last 100 episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Watch TNG. Season 1 has some stinkers but still some good stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

I kinda wish I was in the alternate universe where Shatner didn't get budgetarily screwed making Star Trek V

Shatner didn't get hosed on the budget, and I'm not sure how that became the accepted story (it was easily budgeted as the most expensive Trek film since The Motion Picture). Basically, it was the ultimate Murphy's Law production: If it could go wrong, it went wrong. David Loughery had a month to go from second story draft to a finished shooting script. As soon as location filming was about to start, the Teamsters went on strike. Harve Bennett didn't want to be involved in the movie and basically let Shatner swim on his own due to his apathy. ILM had an unpleasant experience on The Voyage Home and wasn't particularly interested doing the film (which resulted in Bennett and Ralph Winter botching the effects house contract and going with Associates and Ferren, which was thoroughly unqualified to do the film). And they had to rush every aspect of production and post-production to meet their summer release date. It was a circus of errors.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Shatner didn't get hosed on the budget, and I'm not sure how that became the accepted story

Probably because the movie looks the cheapest, between the terrible effects and the set dressing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Someone corrected me on budgets a few days ago--the problem is that Star Trek usually looks cheap, so when it doesn't, it's jarring.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Starfleet could really benefit from providing redundant, low-tech equipment to their starship crews. It seems like the communications systems go down a lot and stop people from communicating with the Bridge or whatever. How come they never bust out some loving walkie-talkies or anything? If theres a dispersal field blocking phasers from working, why is the Klingon dude the only crew member to have a knife?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Then Starfleet would have to stop dressing in skintight pocketless suits.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Starfleet could really benefit from providing redundant, low-tech equipment to their starship crews. It seems like the communications systems go down a lot and stop people from communicating with the Bridge or whatever. How come they never bust out some loving walkie-talkies or anything? If theres a dispersal field blocking phasers from working, why is the Klingon dude the only crew member to have a knife?

William Adama spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They only have one gun and it's banned.