Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

If I want to make some nice looking technical training docs is it worth using indesign (I have a CC sub)? does MS Publisher suck horribly?

Reminder: This guy is dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reminder: This guy is dead now.

what

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cool admission to murder

Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, bob arctor/cisadmin privilege died.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well, butts, I'm having an issue now where my computer sorta locks up, looks like access to the ssd is suspended? I can switch between open apps but anything that needs to access the drive locks up, and if I try to use chrome it just says "waiting for cache..." IO'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this stuff anymore

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, bob arctor/cisadmin privilege died.

source?

Apr 7, 2003

Deer skull guy verified it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anthonypants posted:

idk how it's supposed to degrade, but these days in addition to winbind you also have the option of using sssd, and if you're really on redhat 7 then they recommend that you use sssd: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Windows_Integration_Guide/SSSD-AD.html

i meant to thank you anthonypants for your help earlier this week looks like we're going to move forward with sssd. :)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

it's verified.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:rip:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Annual Gift Panda posted:

well, butts, I'm having an issue now where my computer sorta locks up, looks like access to the ssd is suspended? I can switch between open apps but anything that needs to access the drive locks up, and if I try to use chrome it just says "waiting for cache..." IO'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this stuff anymore
is it out of space? does it always happen when, like chrome is open? is there a firmware update available for your ssd? what os?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've got like 40% free space

it's happening randomly, I have chrome open all the time

I'll check for firmware updates (Kingston)

windows 10

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

it's verified.

:rip: :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

also relevant from a few minutes ago

Furnaceface posted:

Canada's healthcare system might look magical from the outside but working in it is quite soul destroying.

since we're posting things all out of chronological order

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chome wont play youtube. even if i turn off adblockers. wtf. firefucks will

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

chome wont play youtube. even if i turn off adblockers. wtf. firefucks will

It's u

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is :negative:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my problem seems to have gone away

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
can someone tell me a certified rhel6 pci-e ethernet card

this is infuriating

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

this is infuriating

I've always had good results with intel cards.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

:agreed:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

spankmeister posted:

as with all intel things

when was the last time intel actually made a bad product

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

uhh did you somehow forget about netburst?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

blowfish posted:

as with all intel things

that entire generation of NICs where it was actually preferable to go with Broadcom over Intel because Intel's drivers were such horseshit.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

hi yospos computer helpers

my old seagate central nas decided it didn't want to connect to a network anymore so i ripped the drive out and i am now trying to access my files
apparently the partition with my data is LVM2 and i guess that means nothing will open it??
i wasn't able to get it to mount in an Ubuntu VM
using something called "Paragon extFS" on Win10 let me browse around the drive for a few seconds before windows told me i did not have enough resources to browse the drive anymore

are there any other tools out there that would let me get some data off this? google gives me a bunch of stuff to read ext file systems but nothing mentions lvm (is it the same???)
i just want to copy the essentials (anime) off the drive and then reformat it and put it into another enclosure

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaman Linavi posted:

hi yospos computer helpers

my old seagate central nas decided it didn't want to connect to a network anymore so i ripped the drive out and i am now trying to access my files
apparently the partition with my data is LVM2 and i guess that means nothing will open it??
i wasn't able to get it to mount in an Ubuntu VM
using something called "Paragon extFS" on Win10 let me browse around the drive for a few seconds before windows told me i did not have enough resources to browse the drive anymore

are there any other tools out there that would let me get some data off this? google gives me a bunch of stuff to read ext file systems but nothing mentions lvm (is it the same???)
i just want to copy the essentials (anime) off the drive and then reformat it and put it into another enclosure

You'll need to be in A Linux to look at the drive and a standard Ubuntu install should be able to figure out LVM. LVM is logical volumes, so instead of there being a partition with a filesystem on the disk, the physical volume is assigned as a logical volume group which is then partitioned filesystems are on top of that, either some other Linux goon will give you the commands you need or this is a starting point to go from, just don't accidentally overwrite your disk

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

blowfish posted:

as with all intel things

some intel wireless and gpus, though its mostly their drivers.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

graph posted:

this is infuriating

intel EXPI9301CT*

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CrazyLittle posted:

intel EXPI9301CT*

THANK YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

You'll need to be in A Linux to look at the drive and a standard Ubuntu install should be able to figure out LVM. LVM is logical volumes, so instead of there being a partition with a filesystem on the disk, the physical volume is assigned as a logical volume group which is then partitioned filesystems are on top of that, either some other Linux goon will give you the commands you need or this is a starting point to go from, just don't accidentally overwrite your disk

so as an update on this i was able to get what i think was the right program, fuseext2, to install using a live version of Ubuntu
now i just have the problem of everything hanging after i connect the drive so i was still not able to mount anything
at least im getting closer than the endless stream of dependency errors i was getting in my VM

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
fuseext2 is definitely not the right tool to use. try sudo fdisk -l in a terminal to see what file system actually is on your disk.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
e2fsck

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you first need to activate the LVM volume before you can mount the partition. stop loving around with some fuse bullshit, that is absolutely the wrong way to go about things.

boot the computer with the ubuntu live cd and attach the disk.

become root: sudo -i

make sure lvm2 is installed on the live cd (idk if it's still the case but ubuntu live didn't come with it) :

apt-get install lvm2

then run pvscan and see if it detects the LVM physical volume.

once it does, run vgscan to get teh volume groups

activate the volume group: vgchange -a y

not it will tell you which logical volumes are available. it will be like /dev/volgroup00/logvol or something

mount the partition: mount -o ro <path to logical volume here> /mnt/some/mount/point/here

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ok thanks I'll try something else when I get back to compy

from what I remember the disk had 8 partitions: 5 ext3/4 and 2 lvm and 1 something else

one of the lvm partitions has the data I want on it

edit: I did the above but the drive will still not mount, it uses 64k block size and is giving me an error about bad block size

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 3, 2017

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dont

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

ok thanks I'll try something else when I get back to compy

from what I remember the disk had 8 partitions: 5 ext3/4 and 2 lvm and 1 something else

one of the lvm partitions has the data I want on it

edit: I did the above but the drive will still not mount, it uses 64k block size and is giving me an error about bad block size

At what step? Be a bit more verbose ffs.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

spankmeister posted:

At what step? Be a bit more verbose ffs.

when attempting to mount the partition with the mount tool i got an error, reading the log said it was a bad block size (65536)
everything else went through fine
(i also tried fuseext2 again because i was able to get the volume group changed; it was successful in mounting but hung when i tried to access it)
btw im doing this all off a live version of Ubuntu 16.04

im starting to think "just buy another one and swap the drive in to get data off" is the best option

also thanks for all the suggestions, at least i think im going in the right direction now

edit: also when i say it hangs i mean after i was able to mount it with fuseext2 to /mnt/seagate doing cd in terminal or trying to get to /mnt/ from the GUI just did nothing; gui showed a blank window and terminal just sat waiting for cd to do something

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Do not use fuseext2. Just don't it will not work. Linux has kernel modules for ext2 that work way better because instead of fake mounting and hanging when you actually try to access the data like fuse, the proper file system drivers will tell you something is wrong during mounting.

You need to run an fsck on the volume (do this just before the mounting step) because obviously the file system is wrecked.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 4, 2017