Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Wait, I feel like this question wasn't really resolved. Can police now legally murder unarmed people in custody in France?

Bad translation, as already said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Bad translation, as already said.

My dear friend,

shooting/murdering unarmed people is absolutely barbaric and I just couldn't imagine that France would make something like this legal. But I guess the year 2016 is not done yet with this gay earth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My dear friend,

shooting/murdering unarmed people is absolutely barbaric and I just couldn't imagine that France would make something like this legal. But I guess the year 2016 is not done yet with this gay earth.

Yeah, unarmed people who have been warned three time to stop can already be legally shot by gendarmes but not by cops. Also a possible circumstance of people being warned to stop is them driving a truck towards people; but it'd be barbaric to stop them I suppose!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
We need to bring back the original Gendarmes, mounted horse with full plate armor and long lances.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, unarmed people who have been warned three time to stop can already be legally shot by gendarmes but not by cops. Also a possible circumstance of people being warned to stop is them driving a truck towards people; but it'd be barbaric to stop them I suppose!

Police using deadly force in self-defense or defense of others is legal in every country of the world. It's is the main reason that police even carries guns.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Malaver posted:

Perhaps if you look at the entire spectrum but I'm talking about respectful (whatever that means these days), mainstream media.

Yeah, the mainstream media was critical too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MaxxBot posted:

We need to bring back the original Gendarmes, mounted horse with full plate armor and long lances.

I would fully support this policy.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, the mainstream media was critical too.

I guess it varied from country to country.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can someone give me the current rundown of the current state of Polish politics?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Grouchio posted:

Can someone give me the current rundown of the current state of Polish politics?

It's all hosed up, mate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

Ah yes the good old "you can't talk about the risks of the refugee crisis without being called a racist!"-myth when every major party and their leadership, all major news outlets, millions of people on daily basis, thousands of academics and studies have done exactly that. If you see that sentence either the person saying it has spent the last year and half in a bunker isolated completely or they are an actual racist mad about being called a racist.
If you expand this to immigration in general, you could change the last year and a half to the last decade and a half.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

It's all hosed up, mate.
Gonna need more elaboration.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wait, I feel like this question wasn't really resolved. Can police now legally murder unarmed people in custody in France?

This can't be loving serious, right? I'm pretty sure even in the Soviet Union you couldn't do that legally.

I would assume that after the riots, the terrorist attacks, cop cars being set on fire, and all the other Lebanon-like poo poo, a lot of French people are totally fed up and have a 'shoot to kill' attitude. I'm actually surprised it took this long. Not a positive evolution, but completely understandable.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That law was passed after cops started protesting in Paris and other cities, illegally in several instances (used their police cars to block some roads, brought their guns too). Not really a "will of the people" thing, although they'll no doubt have support in the general population.

Edit: There are legitimate grievances like lack of funding and (going hand in hand) insufficient manpower. But those would take money and effort to fix and letting cops have more leeway to shoot people won't. Hollande being the lamest duck of the past 50 yers probably factors into it as well.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 22, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Grouchio posted:

Gonna need more elaboration.

You should ask in the Eastern Europe thread.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Phlegmish posted:

I would assume that after the riots, the terrorist attacks, cop cars being set on fire, and all the other Lebanon-like poo poo, a lot of French people are totally fed up and have a 'shoot to kill' attitude. I'm actually surprised it took this long. Not a positive evolution, but completely understandable.

Lol at you describing pretty banal stuff as "Lebanon-like poo poo". Crime is still on a downward trend, terrorism is limited to a couple attacks a year, and social unrest can't compare to the mid-2000's.
This measure is merely there to placate cops who feel like their power-tripping is jeopardized by excessive regulations on the use of force. They get pretty angry when the administration dares to investigate when someone dies in their custody or during a demonstration (even though the administration systematically ends up covering their asses). gently caress that noise.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah. To reiterate: we're talking about the same police that scares non-white kids in the suburban projects badly enough for them to go hide in places like electrical substations (specifically: three kids. Only one came back out). Now they have more power to use their guns, what a great idea.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey you've got to give them something so they will still accept to work despite being at barely half the personnel they should be in order to do their job correctly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It looks as if Monte Paschi will fail to secure enough capital and will be nationalized. Link

I'm not quite sure what to expect from this - Italian bondholders (lots of average people) will take the hit, but the government is planning to use a fund to mitigate that. I suppose it's really bad news for the rest of Italian banks which will probably also require nationalization?

This opinion piece suggests this process could still take quite some time.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 22, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Manuel Valls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6SUiS--6-Y

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mozi posted:

It looks as if Monte Paschi will fail to secure enough capital and will be nationalized. Link

I'm not quite sure what to expect from this - Italian bondholders (lots of average people) will take the hit, but the government is planning to use a fund to mitigate that. I suppose it's really bad news for the rest of Italian banks which will probably also require nationalization?

This opinion piece suggests this process could still take quite some time.

Nationalizing the banks is the first and most important step on the road to utopia

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Lol at you describing pretty banal stuff as "Lebanon-like poo poo".

The fact that it's considered banal in France speaks volumes.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
So the hard right turn in Europe can be ascribed to the lack of leftist Euroskepticism, right? I mean the fiscal issues with austerity and the inability to set a continental policy on refugees that actually works are pretty much intractable under the current system.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fiction posted:

So the hard right turn in Europe can be ascribed to the lack of leftist Euroskepticism, right? I mean the fiscal issues with austerity and the inability to set a continental policy on refugees that actually works are pretty much intractable under the current system.

Leftists are plenty EU sceptic but hating immigrants and brown people is more sexy and easily explained then hating big banks, conglomerates, austerity and the globalist elite.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I guess it varied from country to country.

As always Sweden was an outlier, I supposed. My brother is Swedish though and from what he tells me I am pretty sceptical.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 22, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fiction posted:

Lol no, the hard left is pretty anti Europe, just not insanely against the no frontiers thing. Euro-Skepticism isn't the monopoly of the far right and even most the hard right is pro-eu.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DarkCrawler posted:

Leftists are plenty EU sceptic but hating immigrants and brown people is more sexy and easily explained then hating big banks, conglomerates, austerity and the globalist elite.

Beware, "globalist elite" is interpreted as dogwhistlese for "Jews".

Also hating big banks and austerity doesn't mean anything when your average leftist politician goes from "mon ennemi, c'est la finance" to "mon ministre, c'est un banquier". People on the left do not trust leftist politicians to actually be leftists.

People on the far right still trust their fascist politicians to actually be fascists, though.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fiction posted:

AFAIK there is no absolute consensus about what the gently caress is going on right now. It's really complicated and reducing it to refugees or economic woes is way too simplistic. You gonna have to wait for the post-mortem in ~10 years to get a clear picture, I'm afraid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Plus, the far right does both, which is a more straightforward and easily digested attitude towards the various aspects of globalisation.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

That's unsurprising because the far right do in fact use that exact term as an anti-Semitic dog whistle.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cat Mattress posted:

Also hating big banks and austerity doesn't mean anything when your average leftist politician goes from "mon ennemi, c'est la finance" to "mon ministre, c'est un banquier". People on the left do not trust leftist politicians to actually be leftists.

People on the far right still trust their fascist politicians to actually be fascists, though.

Oh nobody I've voted for in the left has ever gotten elected so I know that very well.

Also I can't keep up with the Jewish dogwhistles anymore
I thought the latest one was parentheses or something. loving Nazis (sorry "alt-right") should pick one and stick with it already.

Phlegmish posted:

Plus, the far right does both, which is a more straightforward and easily digested attitude towards the various aspects of globalisation.

Except that for the most part it seems that the people heading far right are part of the elite and as soon as they get elected anywhere they start sucking that globalist dick..but again so does the left so you got a point!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Also I can't keep up with the Jewish dogwhistles anymore
I thought the latest one was parentheses or something. loving Nazis (sorry "alt-right") should pick one and stick with it already.

Can't keep up? Global Elite as a dogwhistle for Jews is like over 100 years old.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Fiction posted:

The finnish working class party switched to ID politics some years ago and it worked out real well for them until a literal toad wearing a skinsuit shouted "We love workers, also ignore the nazis in the party, no idea where they came from". At which point Social Democrats cratered to tiny party and True Finns shot to second biggest.

I honestly believe that former working parties abandonment of working class in favour of ID politics and neo-liberalism is the reason for surge of fascist parties in Europe, because the populist parties at least pretend to give a poo poo and people want to be represented.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

throw to first drat IT posted:

The finnish working class party switched to ID politics some years ago and it worked out real well for them until a literal toad wearing a skinsuit shout "We love workers, also ignore the nazis in the party, no idea where they came from". At which point Social Democrats cratered to tiny party and True Finns shot to second biggest.

I honestly believe that former working parties abandonment of working class in favour of ID politics and neo-liberalism is the reason for surge of fascist parties in Europe, because the populist parties at least pretend to give a poo poo and people want to be represented.

Turns out they didn't love workers though and according to opinion polls the "working class party" is again the most popular one.

Also "identity politics" are practiced by literally every party ever, none more overtly then the populist ones...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The finnish working class party switched to ID politics some years ago and it worked out real well for them until a literal toad wearing a skinsuit shouted "We love workers, also ignore the nazis in the party, no idea where they came from". At which point Social Democrats cratered to tiny party and True Finns shot to second biggest.

Sounds to me like the problem is not that they engaged in identity politics but that you think they picked the wrong identity.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

First of all your memory of recent finnish political history is apparently on the level of a goldfish, and secondly the rear end Finns have funnily enough cratered right back to tiny babby party level in popular support after they decided to join a Bourgie government while the Social Democrats are tied as the most popular party.

Funny how that works out. It's almost like the far right are a bunch of two-bit liars enabled by the failure of neoliberalism, rather than some bizarre reaction against ID politics, whatever you even mean with that.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

DarkCrawler posted:

Turns out they didn't love workers though and according to opinion polls the "working class party" is again the most popular one.
In phone polls. I'm represented there too, except I probably don't bother to vote for anyone next time because it's looking to be even bigger waste of time than voting for Pirates last time was.

Cerebral Bore posted:

First of all your memory of recent finnish political history is apparently on the level of a goldfish, and secondly the rear end Finns have funnily enough cratered right back to tiny babby party level in popular support after they decided to join a Bourgie government while the Social Democrats are tied as the most popular party.

Funny how that works out. It's almost like the far right are a bunch of two-bit liars enabled by the failure of neoliberalism, rather than some bizarre reaction against ID politics, whatever you even mean with that.

Largest predicted party is Not Decideds. Last time they went massively for True Finns, probably because they hadn't soiled themselves in government. But there's probably very little reason to assume that they will decide to go to SDP this time, since they already dropped the party once and SDP's response was to write press release that everything is fine and nothing should change. Meanwhile their voting block is literally dying of old age because sub-30 years olds don't vote for them.

SDP's victory depends on their voters being motivated enough to go and vote in equal or higher numbers than Keks and Cocks, and convincing greater amounts of Undecideds to vote for them than for either of the two other big parties. Neither is going to happen under Rinne.

And the assumption that people don't vote Finns again is based on assumption that voters have permanently lost faith with them. But since SDP's solution to voters dropping the party like dirty sock was to just wag their finger, tut tut and keep offering the same old deal on basis that voters don't have better choice to vote for anyway, all it takes is something to convince the voters that this time it will be different and they will still vote for Finns. Either Soini manages to look professional for a moment, possibly with help of some radical surgery, or he gets kicked to curb and something else seizing the throne could do it. Feel free to welcome Prime Minister Halla-aho after that.

Also, not sure why you just repeated what I said but yes, far-right's rise is because of left's abandonment of working class. Far-right parties lying probably doesn't ultimately hurt them much because it certainly hasn't hurt other parties.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

In phone polls. I'm represented there too, except I probably don't bother to vote for anyone next time because it's looking to be even bigger waste of time than voting for Pirates last time was.

I think this time I'm going to vote for the commies. If I got to be a capitalist drone at least I got a fighting chance not to be against the wall some day I guess. I ain't going to be living here for long anyway and well all be glorious subjects of the Greater Chinese Communist Party when I am retired anyway. There is a certain nostalgia to it, though I was only a fetus when the Wall fell.

The problem is, am I going to vote for the useless Marxists, useless Marxist-Leninists, useless vaguely defined labor-socialists?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Vote for the animal rights guys, their ideas are more threatening and sanguine than those corpse-parties, and about as likely to get someone elected.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

If Väyrynen gets his party up, I'm voting for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's almost like the far right are a bunch of two-bit liars enabled by the failure of neoliberalism

The problem is to get the non-fascist parties to understand that instead of continuing to worship at the altar of tax cuts, deregulation and austerity.