Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I managed to break the game while changing graphics settings.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Have a feeling they switched from the image double/quadrupling style of AA to edge detection, which is waaaaay more efficient for the hardware, but yeah, does come with a very minor quality drop.

Their previous method didn't use MSAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jack Trades posted:

Their previous method didn't use MSAA.

I have to admit that my current knowledge is limited. I usually downscale where I can, or I don't actually use AA at all. I find the jaggies not really that offensive.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also depending on what that primary weapon actually does, this might be the first full warframe pack I blow my plat reserves on.

same. the infested frame has always looked cool as hell to me and it being a no-shield brawler is even cooler. extra weapons are also more than fine by me.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

goddamn I want that frame already

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Carecat posted:

The new story quests felt out of sync with the existing Tenno stuff. The older lore was that they were considered half mad from surviving void exposure but then they got factions at the relay like they had lots of traditions and were a warrior caste but the player character's story made it sound more like it was a unique case of with a group of child survivors that the Orokin struggled to deal with until they got their transference powers repressed and somehow after that the warframes/Tenno/betrayal happened with you not reaching adulthood.

You're not wrong. Originally the Tenno just wears the warframes like a suit and you're a half mad Void mutant with the suit imprisoning you. And you originally rescue fellow Tenno in cryopods in defense missions. But they already scrapped this concept when they decided the warframes would not have alternate genders like originally planned and seen in the first teaser where Nyx was a female Excalibur. Warframes being not-suits already but separate creatures were already solidified then and when they released alternate helmets. Frost Squall and Excal Avalon helmets obviously cannot fit a human head. The biggest hints of warframes not having anyone inside it came when Alad V got inserted and mentioned how he couldn't find anything insude warframes and then Limbo got released and he shows that there's no one under his helmet.

I actually prefer the story of the Tenno being children than badass space marine mutants like space X-men. The reveal in Second Dream where you're a crippled kid is great. Though it's sorta diminished now that you're a space badass teen.

The lore in WF is not deep or novel but it's at least not trope or generic. I'm also fairly certain Lotus was originally an Orokin or at least an Orokin AI since her old concept art made her armless and connected to cables and tubes, and a ton of Orokin stuff has lotus theme. So now we still have no back story why she looks like a curvy cosplaying mom instead of a giant spaceship.

As for the warrior culture, I don't think it originated strictly from the Tenno. It's from the Dax. So it's not like the Orokin were all space scifi and the Tenno were made and *BAM* suddenly they get samurai ninja honor codes and battle schools. The Dax were already knee-deep in weeaboo poo poo before the Tenno came into being.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lotus adopted the form of Morgulis to trick the Tenno into killing the Orokin.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Sometimes a civilization-killing spaceship just wants a humansona, you know.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sandweed posted:

Lotus adopted the form of Morgulis to trick the Tenno into killing the Orokin.

Adopted her mindset too, apparently, given that she seems to treat them the same way Morgulis did. Was it really a trick if we were going to do it anyway?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wid posted:

You're not wrong. Originally the Tenno just wears the warframes like a suit and you're a half mad Void mutant with the suit imprisoning you. And you originally rescue fellow Tenno in cryopods in defense missions. But they already scrapped this concept when they decided the warframes would not have alternate genders like originally planned and seen in the first teaser where Nyx was a female Excalibur. Warframes being not-suits already but separate creatures were already solidified then and when they released alternate helmets. Frost Squall and Excal Avalon helmets obviously cannot fit a human head. The biggest hints of warframes not having anyone inside it came when Alad V got inserted and mentioned how he couldn't find anything insude warframes and then Limbo got released and he shows that there's no one under his helmet.

I actually prefer the story of the Tenno being children than badass space marine mutants like space X-men. The reveal in Second Dream where you're a crippled kid is great. Though it's sorta diminished now that you're a space badass teen.

The lore in WF is not deep or novel but it's at least not trope or generic. I'm also fairly certain Lotus was originally an Orokin or at least an Orokin AI since her old concept art made her armless and connected to cables and tubes, and a ton of Orokin stuff has lotus theme. So now we still have no back story why she looks like a curvy cosplaying mom instead of a giant spaceship.

As for the warrior culture, I don't think it originated strictly from the Tenno. It's from the Dax. So it's not like the Orokin were all space scifi and the Tenno were made and *BAM* suddenly they get samurai ninja honor codes and battle schools. The Dax were already knee-deep in weeaboo poo poo before the Tenno came into being.

I think

Space badass teen is probably overselling it. The Operator is still HELLA squishy so they've done a good job of making it clear that nothing comes close to a Tenno inhabited Warframe.

Operator simply has some specialized tools

And yeah the Tenno warrior caste stuff was probably cribbed heavily from the Dax.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Adopted her mindset too, apparently, given that she seems to treat them the same way Morgulis did. Was it really a trick if we were going to do it anyway?

If anything the person most tricked by the Lotus is the Lotus, but she seems to be aware of it and okay with it so whatever I guess :v:

Arguably at this point she identifies with Margulis to an extent that it's hard to say how different they really are. I get the impression Lotus doesn't really give much of a good goddamn about anything but keeping the Tenno alive and that hobbling the Grineer and the Corpus is just a means to that particular end.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 22, 2016

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Disabling Motion Blur did nothing to improve anti-aliasing. It just totally fails to do anything about the aliasing.

Before the last patch:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/156892437244674560/7B393A23F9DA89E23EAF06A2E7E7661DB041363D/
After the last patch:
https://a.pomf.cat/obniuv.png

Seriously, the method they used before the last patch was near perfect but right now it looks like garbage.

Nono no no. I didn't type my post wrong. For some reason the only way to make the high AA setting look GOOD is to have motion blur ON WITH IT. Infact, disabling motion blur while in the high AA setting will lead to your game looking like

this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That looks like the new AA system accumulates data over time in order to generate the changes to hide edges, like current-gen realtime raytracing systems. It would make sense for a tiny oversight to leave that disabled and wonky (i.e. getting only one frame's worth of data, having edge hiding be "noise") if motion blur is disabled, since having *that* on means there's already a temporal accumulation system running and AA probably just removes that and they never checked if the accumulator is enabled without motion blur.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not turning Motion Blur back on. :colbert:

NostrilBreaker
Mar 8, 2014
Is there a map to the clan dojo? I've entered and I've become completely lost trying to find the research room.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

NostrilBreaker posted:

Is there a map to the clan dojo? I've entered and I've become completely lost trying to find the research room.

The room you spawn in has all the rooms you need, there's only four Research rooms. Technically five but the fifth one is never used.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

That looks like the new AA system accumulates data over time in order to generate the changes to hide edges, like current-gen realtime raytracing systems. It would make sense for a tiny oversight to leave that disabled and wonky (i.e. getting only one frame's worth of data, having edge hiding be "noise") if motion blur is disabled, since having *that* on means there's already a temporal accumulation system running and AA probably just removes that and they never checked if the accumulator is enabled without motion blur.

Sounds about right. That's pretty much the way temporal AA works and it seems like they tied their new method to motion blur for some reason.

I'm still completely baffled at how they managed to make the new temporal AA look worse and act way more buggy than what they had before the last patch.

NostrilBreaker posted:

Everything useful has doors in the same room that you spawn in, I think.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm still curious how many tenno there actually are. There can only be so many people on a doomed ship, but if you assume every liset in a relay belongs to a tenno then there are lots.

That said I wouldn't put it past the Orokin to make more.

Also why does the Lotus need to link the bonfires if she is already hollow???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From the latest, it seems like it was some sort of colony ship or some other large scale vessel.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Since every player is a Tenno there are 26 million Tenno.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

NostrilBreaker posted:

Working as intended

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Sounds like early human Biotics in the Mass Effect setting. An awful lot of 'accidental' Element-Zero drive core explosions over settlements after they first figured out the connection... :tinfoil:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Oh a set of new packs on Steam, let's see what they are charging $60 for.

quote:

The Toxic Flight Pack allows you to advance Warframe at breakneck speeds with generous amounts of Platinum, Credits, Mod Cards, Movement upgrades and Boosters.

750 Platinum to use towards new Warframes, Weapons, Equipment and more
100,000 Credits to assist in making new upgrades to your arsenal
10 Random Mod Cards to instantly upgrade your arsenal
6 Rare Mod Cards to add hard-to-find modifications to your inventory
Rending Turn Exilus Mod increases the speed of Bullet Jump, lengthens the duration of Aim Glide and Wall Latch, and adds Slash damage to Bullet Jump
Ice Spring Exilus Mod increases the speed of Bullet Jump, lengthens the duration of Aim Glide and Wall Latch, and adds Cold damage to Bullet Jump
Toxic Flight Exilus Mod increases the speed of Bullet Jump, lengthens the duration of Aim Glide and Wall Latch, and adds Toxin damage to Bullet Jump
3 Exilus Adapter to instantly unlock a Exilus Mod Slot for Mobility and Utility advancements
3-Day Resource and Drop Chance Booster to double the chance and amount of pickups for 3 days
3-Day Affinity and Credit Booster to quickly level up your arsenal

generous amounts :eyepop:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

I'm still curious how many tenno there actually are. There can only be so many people on a doomed ship, but if you assume every liset in a relay belongs to a tenno then there are lots.

Also why does the Lotus need to link the bonfires if she is already hollow???

I tend to just assume there's maybe a couple hundred Tenno. It's a small number for a solar system scale and seems appropriate given that the Zariman was a colony ship.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I was thinking about Mesa today, they should be able to use their primary and secondary weapon to perform melee, but each step in the combo fires the gun. Now fire rate on the gun is equivalent to melee attack speed.

I just want to see more of this: nun-chuck shotguns and spinning pistol combos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC9YVpR77B8

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheMostFrench posted:

I was thinking about Mesa today, they should be able to use their primary and secondary weapon to perform melee, but each step in the combo fires the gun. Now fire rate on the gun is equivalent to melee attack speed.

I just want to see more of this: nun-chuck shotguns and spinning pistol combos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC9YVpR77B8

I already think of my Excal's Exalted Blade as my Devil Trigger.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

New Quest - The Glast Gambit:
Summoned by Ergo Glast of the Perrin Sequence to the outpost known as the Mycona, you have discovered that Nef Anyo has stolen the children of the Mycona Colony, and it is up to you to get them back. You must challenge Nef in The Index and beat him at his own game. But Tenno, beware, not all is as it seems.

New Index Enemies & Mods:
The index is back with new Corpus champions! You can also find two new weapon mods: Tether Grenades & Flux Overdrive

New Riven Mods:
You can now acquire Riven Mods for Shotguns and Secondary weapons as Sortie rewards, as per our Dev Workshop here:

New Quest - The Glast Gambit:
Summoned by Ergo Glast of the Perrin Sequence to the outpost known as the Mycona, you have discovered that Nef Anyo has stolen the children of the Mycona Colony, and it is up to you to get them back. You must challenge Nef in The Index and beat him at his own game. But Tenno, beware, not all is as it seems.

New Index Enemies & Mods:
The index is back with new Corpus champions! You can also find two new weapon mods: Tether Grenades & Flux Overdrive

New Riven Mods:
You can now acquire Riven Mods for Shotguns and Secondary weapons as Sortie rewards, as per our Dev Workshop here:

New Game Mode - Infested Salvage:
A ship and its crew have fallen victim to the Infestation they were researching. Locate the ship’s manifest to recover their extensive research, but be fast as a corrosive gas fills the ship degrading your armor integrity.

You can find this new mission type on Oestrus, Eris!

New Warframe - Nidus:
Command the Infestation to mutate and grow ever more destructive.

Virulence
Rupture the ground with a damaging fungal growth that steals energy from each enemy it strikes. For every five enemies hit, the Infestation mutates, multiplying its destructive force.
Larva
Spawn an infested pod that erupts with tendrils, latches onto nearby enemies and pulls them in.
Parasitic Link
Bind to a target with a parasitic link. For allies, both the host and Nidus deal increased damage. Linked enemies take the damage inflicted on Nidus.
Ravenous
Gluttonous maggots swarm nearby enemies, feasting until they burst with Infestation. The maggots benefit from Mutation and each enemy consumed adds to the Mutation stack.

New Infested Weapons:
HEMA

A bloodsucker. This symbiotic burst-rifle leeches health to forge its ammo and then restores health with each headshot
HIRUDO

Rip into the enemy with fists of razor sharp cartilage. Steals health with each critical hit.

New Cosmetics:
Thorac Syandana

A sinuous spine of Infested anatomy.
New Holiday Glyphs:

Show your holiday cheer with an assortment of five new holiday-themed Glyphs!
Additions:

Added an option to specify custom Dedicated Server settings type in the Launcher

Fixes:

Fixed % display for Winds of Purity
Fixed several weapon augments that had flat numbers changed to percents
Fixed equip visible range being wrong in some resolutions
Fixed Nullifier bubbles providing invisible protection when the nullifier is not alerted (and therefore has their bubble deactivated).
Fixed deactivated/destroyed bubbles providing a small area of power nullification around the nullifier.
Fixed Corrupted Nullifiers having an invisible bubble always, that sometimes gets left behind.
Fixed Archwing in Jordas Verdict bug
Fixed Missing Smeeta Kavat icon and wrong Adarza icon
Fixed no reload bug in Conclave that affected some weapons
Fixed Sicarus Prime having wrong values in Conclave
Fixed Ash Carabid & Banshee Echo helmets not being improved by Arcanes
Fixed inadvertent Vulkar Riven Mod nerf.
Fixed hitch when viewing genetic imprints
Fixed script error when using Transference
Fixed Kuva being collectible by non-operator

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 22, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Oh wow, out already? I was expecting friday night at the earliest, but this is a pleasant surprise. Way to go, DE.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Oh wow, out already? I was expecting friday night at the earliest, but this is a pleasant surprise. Way to go, DE.

Same. And it was released in the morning as well, I don't think I've EVER seen them do that.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

I think many businesses have Friday and Monday off this week. Hopefully DE won't spend Christmas holidays debugging code.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hell yeah, I have to try to stay up tonight anyway, may as well do some wf stuff

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hoo boy, the Hema costs a lot of Neurodes to research. Those numbers can't be right. 5000 Mutagen Samples and 50 Neurodes for a Ghost Clan?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Oblivious posted:

I tend to just assume there's maybe a couple hundred Tenno. It's a small number for a solar system scale and seems appropriate given that the Zariman was a colony ship.

A colony ship would be a ship holding tens of thousands to millions of people, so it fits the Tenno number fine.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Is there a definitive list of "best of" weapons of each type. ie shotgun/rifle/bow etc or are they actually reasonably balanced and due to mods its whatever you like the look of?

I feel slightly overwhelmed wondering if I can get by with JUST making shotguns for Mastery, or if I need to just keep crafting and leveling different types of assault rifle.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

endlessmonotony posted:

A colony ship would be a ship holding tens of thousands to millions of people, so it fits the Tenno number fine.

This. The absolute minimum number of people you need to have enough genetic diversity to be viable is about 3000 i think, and anyone sending out a colony ship is going to want to assume a high mortality rate along the colonists during the first few generations.

A few hundred is a guaranteed failed colony.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

This. The absolute minimum number of people you need to have enough genetic diversity to be viable is about 3000 i think, and anyone sending out a colony ship is going to want to assume a high mortality rate along the colonists during the first few generations.

Genetic diversity is over rated. See West Virginia

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Sure but when you consider things like A) Almost everyone on board the Zariman died and B) Most of them weren't children and C) The Zariman wasn't necessarily the only colony ship just the only one to come back then a couple hundred Tenno seems perfectly reasonable. The Zariman 10-0 DID devolve into Lord of the Flies remember.

Millions of Tenno is almost assuredly not the case given that there were apparently sufficiently few of them that they were stored in a single central location before Transference was discovered.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 22, 2016

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

LordVorbis posted:

Is there a definitive list of "best of" weapons of each type. ie shotgun/rifle/bow etc or are they actually reasonably balanced and due to mods its whatever you like the look of?

I feel slightly overwhelmed wondering if I can get by with JUST making shotguns for Mastery, or if I need to just keep crafting and leveling different types of assault rifle.

Balance and Warframe are not really things that go together. Most shotguns are good. The strun and boar varieties are bad the hek and Tigris models are ungodly strong. Like really, they will serve you well into level 100 sorties and beyond.

Bows are a little more balanced. Dread is great, Paris prime is pretty OK, ratka cernos is great. The rest are either niche (mutualist cernos) or bad (daikyu).

Rifles are too varied to give a definitive answer. Soma and boltor prime are very strong boring weapons, but are not easy to get as a new player anymore. If you're at least mastery 6 get a regular soma, it will serve you well.

As for getting mastery: you gotta catch em all. There's enough variety more to get some ranks just using one category of primary weapon, but don't hobble yourself by doing that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

LordVorbis posted:

Most weapons are ok at most things if you've got the mods to make them work, but when stuff starts falling behind it falls behind very quickly.

And you definitely won't get far on just shotguns. There simply aren't enough of them.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd bet platinum on the Orokin having flung a bunch more ships full of kids into the void to make an army of hyperviolent marionettes puppeteered by the X-men Babies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Echophonic posted:

Hoo boy, the Hema costs a lot of Neurodes to research. Those numbers can't be right. 5000 Mutagen Samples and 50 Neurodes for a Ghost Clan?

sounds like some trips to eris are in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Research costs are getting a bit ridiculous