Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GriszledMelkaba posted:

what-the-gently caress-ever

hahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
So I've been getting the rear tire lose on my sv650 (which I love) and now I want a super moto because that's loving stupid on the street. Now... How stupid is it for me to think the v strom will satisfy me? I know I'll be sacrificing a bit of power, that's probably for the best but as I understand, V-Stroms are better for touring. How much dirt can the v strom handle? Is it as awesome as it sounds or a disappointment on 2 wheels?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yes it's stupid to think a vstrom will satisfy you. Buy a DRZ400SM.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

I understand that the drz400 is to SA is what the ninja 250 is to Reddit (mascot bike, not beginner bike) and I considered it but I'm 5'7 with a long torso and if I get the drz, i have to keep 2 bikes because I can't tour on a thumper so I'm told (talking 8 hour days here). What you think? You haven't steered me wrong yet.

Also: is the drz as tough in a crash as an sv650 or v strom with bars? Because i plan to crash it. I treat my bikes like hell and if I'm getting a dedicated dirt bike you'd better believe it's hitting the ground.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is the drz tough he says fuckin lol

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Well I don't know if it SURVIVED the mailbox!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

And will i be left unsatisfied on or off the road?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

is the drz tough he says fuckin lol

Not tough enough for me :greenangel:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Verge posted:

I understand that the drz400 is to SA is what the ninja 250 is to Reddit (mascot bike, not beginner bike) and I considered it but I'm 5'7 with a long torso and if I get the drz, i have to keep 2 bikes because I can't tour on a thumper so I'm told (talking 8 hour days here). What you think? You haven't steered me wrong yet.

Also: is the drz as tough in a crash as an sv650 or v strom with bars? Because i plan to crash it. I treat my bikes like hell and if I'm getting a dedicated dirt bike you'd better believe it's hitting the ground.

I did 14 hour days on my DRZ, just have to check the oil while doing long freeway days.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

I did 14 hour days on my DRZ, just have to check the oil while doing long freeway days.

The oil? I'm talking comfort here, man. No fairing, single cylinder, light bike. Not to mention that seat.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Sweet, thanks. Will I need to do anything to the bike's intake or ECU after installing it?

Nope! Just use the included small, or large, DB killer insert, and do the 15 minute idle reset procedure after, and you are good to go. My install was very fast and easy. Just make sure to follow the directions.

Verge posted:

The oil? I'm talking comfort here, man. No fairing, single cylinder, light bike. Not to mention that seat.

Seat concepts and chill, man. Otherwise, sumo ergos are very comfortable. A tiny windscreen from laminarlip.com, if you want, but I wouldn't. Wind is no worse than on a naked SV.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Hmm alright I'll have to test a drz then :)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Get a ktm 690

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Shimrod posted:

Get a ktm 690

Even more thumping and a taller seat!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't get a 690, yet. I mean, yeah, it will be way better for eating up highway miles than a drz, and be way faster, but it's just not the right bike for you right now. Get a WR250x, or a DRZ400, depending on which style agrees with you more. Dump it a bunch, ride it a bunch, get better at riding, focus on technique. For a general purpose bike that will do pretty much everything, but you don't have to worry about messing up, one of those is your bag.

When you have cut cut your teeth on that, then consider going with a 690. Until then, it's far too much bike for you to appreciate. I mean, I still pine for my WRx sometimes, because it is different and far more manageable than the 690.

Basically, stop having bike ADD (the struggle is real) and ride what you have or snatch up a sumo, and see how it treats you.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Ty and yeah, the struggle is real.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Eh, 690 is pretty much the easiest bike to ride ever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Coydog posted:

Nope! Just use the included small, or large, DB killer insert, and do the 15 minute idle reset procedure after, and you are good to go. My install was very fast and easy. Just make sure to follow the directions.

Did you get the carbon heat shield as well? It seems kind of pricey.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just get a cheap, real dirt bike and go mess around with it for a while. You'll either love it or not and can decide from there.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

builds character posted:

Just get a cheap, real dirt bike and go mess around with it for a while. You'll either love it or not and can decide from there.

I think you're probably right and everyone's probably right that I'll end up with a drz but for now a pure dirt bike is probably best since there's a very real chance I'll destroy the bike or myself and more power won't help that equation.

I wanna thank everyone and thank Zen again for turning me on to the SV650. It's like you know me personally because it suits me so perfectly. Btw, are there any analogues to the drz in the same way that a cbr650 and ninja 650 are very similar or is it it's own breed like the sv650?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

I think you're probably right and everyone's probably right that I'll end up with a drz but for now a pure dirt bike is probably best since there's a very real chance I'll destroy the bike or myself and more power won't help that equation.

I wanna thank everyone and thank Zen again for turning me on to the SV650. It's like you know me personally because it suits me so perfectly. Btw, are there any analogues to the drz in the same way that a cbr650 and ninja 650 are very similar or is it it's own breed like the sv650?

Every analogue to the DRZ is either a 250 or much better and faster.

Also the CBR650 and ninja 650 are a good 30hp and two cylinders apart.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Huh I did not know that. Thank you

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I went for the 2017 701 Enduro instead of SM, picking it up tonight, can't wait!

I'll buy 17" wheels later for hooligan riding.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Only because a killer deal showed up, what about a dr650se for me? It looks like it would leave me unsatisfied but I've proven that I don't know what I want in a dirt bike. At 3500 for a 2013 with 50k miles I'd be remiss not to ask

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can get way fewer miles for the same money. DR650s are good-ish though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Here it is!

Riding this through traffic makes way more sense with a thumper than a super sport , that's for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

Only because a killer deal showed up, what about a dr650se for me? It looks like it would leave me unsatisfied but I've proven that I don't know what I want in a dirt bike. At 3500 for a 2013 with 50k miles I'd be remiss not to ask

I'm getting the very strong impression that you're That Guy who talks endlessly about bikes but hardly actually rides his bike. Ride more bikes and just ride more in general. You think like a car person wherein the hardware is more important than your noggin; it isn't.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Here it is!

Riding this through traffic makes way more sense with a thumper than a super sport , that's for sure.
Huskys need a better color scheme. Otherwise it's sexy.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I'm getting the very strong impression that you're That Guy who talks endlessly about bikes but hardly actually rides his bike. Ride more bikes and just ride more in general. You think like a car person wherein the hardware is more important than your noggin; it isn't.

I commute to work on my motorcycle every single day. I do not own a car. But you're right, I don't really get bikes or why one feels better than another. But seriously, I put miles down like you wouldn't believe but I do talk about bikes endlessly

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

I commute to work on my motorcycle every single day. I do not own a car. But you're right, I don't really get bikes or why one feels better than another. But seriously, I put miles down like you wouldn't believe but I do talk about bikes endlessly

Remind me what you ride again? It took me several years to 'get' bike handling and what I really like but I think it would've been much faster if I'd bought different bikes to the ones I did.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Remind me what you ride again? It took me several years to 'get' bike handling and what I really like but I think it would've been much faster if I'd bought different bikes to the ones I did.

Sv650 for the past few months. Before that, Harley xg750 for a year following a year of cm400t following a year of ninja 250

Edit: sv for half a year I'm told actually. The annual new bike thing is a coincidence. The ninja exploded, the cm400 was just being a pain in the rear end and the XG was the bike from my loving dreams, aesthetically, like, I felt like I'd seen it before. So while the sv is by far the best feel I've ever gotten (Honda was second best, Harley was worst) I would be surprised if it stopped there. Did a few thousand miles over a week on it (8 hours of riding per day) and it felt good in every way.

But yeah, never sat on a dirt bike. They're tall and intimidating.

Verge fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 22, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

Sv650 for the past few months. Before that, Harley xg750 for a year following a year of cm400t following a year of ninja 250

Edit: sv for half a year I'm told actually. The annual new bike thing is a coincidence. The ninja exploded, the cm400 was just being a pain in the rear end and the XG was the bike from my loving dreams, aesthetically, like, I felt like I'd seen it before. So while the sv is by far the best feel I've ever gotten (Honda was second best, Harley was worst) I would be surprised if it stopped there. Did a few thousand miles over a week on it (8 hours of riding per day) and it felt good in every way.

But yeah, never sat on a dirt bike. They're tall and intimidating.

Get a DRZ.

SV's are great for learning how poo poo works but you have to have reasonably friendly tyres for sporty riding (IMO not PR3/4 but I won't open that can of worms). They're also quite fast, probably too fast if you don't feel like you really know what you're doing (I know everyone on here recommends them but there's a huge experience bias on this forum and people forget just how utterly poo poo you are at riding when you're still learning the ropes). Yes it's possible for a beginner to ride one without ever crashing or getting into trouble, but I feel that they're too powerful to be a useful learning tool.

A DRZ or a 250 sumo (or even a 250 enduro with road tyres) will teach you a shitload about bike dynamics and how the brake and throttle affect turning and lean angle etc whilst being relatively slow and extremely forgiving so you can explore the outer reaches of bike handling without having to go really fast or outride your sight lines. The height thing stops mattering about 30 seconds after you ride one for the first time, everyone obsesses over that poo poo but unless you're genuinely 4' tall it really makes no loving difference at all and you can forget about that entirely.

Commuting is great for getting experience for dealing with traffic, becoming psychic w.r.t. morons, riding in the wet etc but unless you have an utterly fantastic countryside commute it isn't really ideal for learning how the bike actually handles because you're usually going very slowly and in a straight line, or on the freeway. Hitting uncrowded twisty roads is much better for this because the corners aren't all 90 degree bends separated by long stretches of perfectly straight road, you aren't constantly starting and stopping and there aren't loads of pesky driveways and poo poo creating a constant hazard.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Slavvy posted:

Every analogue to the DRZ is either a 250 or much better and faster.

I sorta think the CB500X is basically the idea of the DRZ400SM executed in a nicer fashion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I sorta think the CB500X is basically the idea of the DRZ400SM executed in a nicer fashion.

Have you ridden both? Cause I've ridden both and the notion is utterly laughable, sorry.

e: I'll clarify: if you mean nicer = not tractor build quality and good liveability stuff then yes. If you mean nicer from a riding dynamics standpoint then lol

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 22, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

carcinofuck posted:

Huskys need a better color scheme.

Should you really have a license if you have severe ocular degradation?

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Chichevache posted:

Should you really have a license if you have severe ocular degradation?

Desaturated navy blue, pale yellow and white? How can anyone defend that?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Slavvy posted:

Have you ridden both? Cause I've ridden both and the notion is utterly laughable, sorry.

e: I'll clarify: if you mean nicer = not tractor build quality and good liveability stuff then yes. If you mean nicer from a riding dynamics standpoint then lol

Yup. Own a DRZ400SM, test ridden a CB500X twice.

I don't think the dynamics fall off that much vs the DRZ, the bike "feels" similar overall (weight, seating position, narrow chassis) and the CB500X is way more livable, smoother, better built, better on the highway, etc.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 22, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Whoa whoa. I was just going to let your prior statement on the new husky livery pass. To each their own and all that. But you asked.

Most every bike is colors, or lots of base blacks. White bikes arent that common, and look like a clean template for the form of the bike to shine through. For the husky, their stark white color scheme, down to the frame, has a refreshing clarity to it. Like looking at NASA designs. The dark navy stands out in cool boldness, while the neon yellow flair adds an air of futuristic sophistication.

The whole effect is unique, stylish, and very swedish. This is backed by the bikes themselves being very good, and husky having a history good and cleanly different bikes. I love the new branding, but see how it could be polarizing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Whoa whoa. I was just going to let your prior statement on the new husky livery pass. To each their own and all that. But you asked.

Most every bike is colors, or lots of base blacks. White bikes arent that common, and look like a clean template for the form of the bike to shine through. For the husky, their stark white color scheme, down to the frame, has a refreshing clarity to it. Like looking at NASA designs. The dark navy stands out in cool boldness, while the neon yellow flair adds an air of futuristic sophistication.

The whole effect is unique, stylish, and very swedish. This is backed by the bikes themselves being very good, and husky having a history good and cleanly different bikes. I love the new branding, but see how it could be polarizing.

You said it better than I could. Amidst a sea of black or *PRIMARY COLORS* Husky stands apart. That white is clean as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
I'm really loving the new Honda Rebel, and I kinda super want to get a CMX500 ABS when it comes out. If I save really hard I can have the money in hand by the time it comes out, and I'm basically waiting on the reviews to come out. I have an '81 Honda CM400A and I love it dearly and never want to get rid of it, but I'm definitely feeling the craving for a new, modern bike to accompany it.

I'm in Seattle, almost never go on the highway, and when I do the speed limits are all 65 around here and I'm super studious about paying attention to them.

Bad idea? I'd pick the CMX300 if it had an ABS trim, because I feel like it'd be enough bike for me. I'm only 125 pounds and occasionally the Hondamatic's weight spooks me a little, though I've never really come close to dropping it.

Fredrick fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 22, 2016