Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

You should have seen the Blizzard forums when people got mad about Tyrael being black, hoo boy.

Wait, what? What's wrong with Tyrael being black? He's the second best character in Diablo3.

Good lord I just don't get people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Making Tracer a lesbian was the safest thing they could have done as a company, it's why it took them like four months or whatever between their comment and this comic.
I'm just surprised people are calling it brave.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

are you screaming at the conflagration of hardware and software?

I'm screaming at the conflation of conflation and conflagration

VideoGames posted:

I keep seeing screencaps of people angry about Tracer and I just don't get why they are angry.
why would you :can: like this, lmao

you remember what happened when we discussed Link ffs, people don't need logic for their goofy fandom rage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Making Tracer a lesbian was the safest thing they could have done as a company, it's why it took them like four months or whatever between their comment and this comic.

Is it not brave? People still get super upset at the idea of anything but sexually straight and white characters in media. It actually seems to be a gigantic portion of the population that hates the idea of a gay character in media. The level of hate towards the LGBT community is still extremely high and violent.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Is it not brave? People still get super upset at the idea of anything but sexually straight and white characters in media. It actually seems to be a gigantic portion of the population that hates the idea of a gay character in media. The level of hate towards the LGBT community is still extremely high and violent.

I suppose it is, though I believe it would have been more impactful if one of the male cast was chosen instead. Though that would have ruffled way, way more feathers.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CrashCat posted:

why would you :can: like this, lmao

you remember what happened when we discussed Link ffs, people don't need logic for their goofy fandom rage

I was just hoping someone might help me get it :( You're right about the Link fiasco. Good grief, I'm the idiot.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I hope my point came across and I don't sound like an rear end in a top hat

VideoGames posted:

I was just hoping someone might help me get it :( You're right about the Link fiasco. Good grief, I'm the idiot.

What was the Link thing about? I must have missed that one.
VG did you say that brown hair link was the best Link, is that what caused a big kerfuffle in this thread?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If you want it put more simply, games attract kids, and kids are more likely to have impossible, stupid fantasies like a love affair with an entirely fictional character. At least a Harry Potter fan could dream of boning actual Emma Watson via some complicated, Rube Goldbergian twist of fate but an Overwatch fan doesn't even have that

And it doesn't help that there are online circles that pretend to indulge impossible fantasies as something 'cute' or 'fun' but then some people fall for it and take it dead loving serious

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the zelda guy said link can't be a girl because then zelda would have no role but then everyone agreed link is a girl already and there was no fighting

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

oddium posted:

the zelda guy said link can't be a girl because then zelda would have no role but then everyone agreed link is a girl already and there was no fighting

Oh, okay.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Grapplejack posted:

I suppose it is, though I believe it would have been more impactful if one of the male cast was chosen instead. Though that would have ruffled way, way more feathers.

Please don't spoil my Reinhardt-Ana shipping, Blizzard

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

well great job you opened the can :doh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dr Cheeto posted:

Please don't spoil my Reinhardt-Ana shipping, Blizzard
Torbjorn x alternate skin Torbjorn is my OTP

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grapplejack posted:

Tracer is on the front of the box and is the closest thing Overwatch has to a 'main' character, and it being 'safe' doesn't take away from it being good representation

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Movie chat from pages back inspired me to rewatch Mortal Kombat. I still think the best video game movie moment is when Johnny Cage confronts Goro.

"Those were $500 sunglasses, rear end in a top hat."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Kano's awful fake British/Australian accent

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Tracer is on the front of the box and is the closest thing Overwatch has to a 'main' character, and it being 'safe' doesn't take away from it being good representation

Yeah, that's true.

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked Kano's awful fake British/Australian accent

Speaking of terrible accents, Lambert as Raiden.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just the instructions? God, people are dumb.
Metal Warriors is one of the rarest SNES games there is, and is a fantastic game to boot. That it's an anime-inspired Lucasarts mech game complete with ingame cutscenes blew my mind as a kid. Seriously, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVPStKzLes&hd=1

It's an insanely hard game, I never beat it. I always made it to...the jungle level, I believe, and then ran out of lives. Really fun until I inevitably game overed though.

A lot of the carts floating around aren't legit, it's one of the more notable bootlegged SNES carts, I had a ton of folks message me asking for proof of its legitimacy(detailed photos of the cart and label all around). The manual is apparently way, way rarer since a lot of people tend not to keep the game manuals. This is also why other SNES game manuals can get pricey, like I sold Super Bomberman 2's manual for 20 bucks.

edit: apparently Gamepro called it "an improved Cybernator" which I agree with

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 22, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How is the NieR Automata demo? I'm traveling so I can't play it yet. Also does the menu font/color/style in it remind anyone else of MGS3, or just me?

oddium posted:

My take was always, why bother making Link a girl? Just put him in distress--a suitably Link-style distress, like he's sleeping for seven years or something--and let us play as Zelda. We've established that Zelda has been extremely capable in multiple games, a skilled magician, a good archer, and, in Ocarina, a loving ninja. So let us play as her, that'd own.

I'd be a little disappointed if they made a female Link, just because I'd feel like it's a missed opportunity to play as Zelda. But I wouldn't be mad, female Link would still be cool in a different way.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A couple years back there was a goon that had a thread about a text-based rpg game they were programming in Ruby, does anyone remember what that was?

Harrow posted:

How is the NieR Automata demo? I'm traveling so I can't play it yet. Also does the menu font/color/style in it remind anyone else of MGS3, or just me?
I saw Chip post a bunch about it on Twitter and it looks amazing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I thought it would be fun to impose a sort of limit on what I play, rather than looking at my list and getting into a tizz of what to boot up. Sometimes I enjoy structure like that. If the first month is bad and I don't have the fun I think I will then I'll stop :)

If I was any good at all at fighting games (I am terrible - LowTierGod could beat me) then I would take you up on this. ;)

I'm completely awful at KOF, I never know when to use which jump when, and so much of good KOF play is have a pitch perfect anti air game because of said jumps...I still love playing them though, and I hope you dig it when you get there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In other fighting games when I practice I look up a simple combo and try to drill it, or practice like wake ups and hit confirms etc. in KOFXIV I'm still just sitting there doing all the jumps around the screen

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

codenameFANGIO posted:

Snuggies are gaming blankets. Do not be ashamed of your gamer instinct. I have a zebra snuggie. Hail Baphomet.

mine is a street fighter snuggie lmfao, i won it at a tournament off a 1v1 against a friend of mine who was shittalking my dudley

aint no one shittalk my dudley

VideoGames posted:

Wait, what? What's wrong with Tyrael being black? He's the second best character in Diablo3.

Good lord I just don't get people.

i remember when d3 first came out a group of dudes and i loaded it up to play, but one of them got real real salty about tyrael to the point where we kicked him from the skype group, he was saying some mega vile poo poo

people cant help but get mad over video games i guess

VideoGames posted:

If I was any good at all at fighting games (I am terrible - LowTierGod could beat me) then I would take you up on this. ;)

since i humblebragged about the snuggie i guess i should admit a loss of mine

ft5 against a friends el fuerte that i lost, and it was being hyped up in our circles, so the stakes were p high

i had to message lowtiergod on twitter and say i think he's the best player i've ever seen. he fuckin favorited it

i will never live this down

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 22, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

In the next Zelda game, Link is a girl, and also gay.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Huh. I assumed from that one guy who was really hype for Astroneer when NMS came out that he'd have made a thread for it when Early Access opened, but no such luck. Think I am gonna pick it up anyway, looks pretty chill and the gameplay seems more interesting.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

was that the one with the backpack you attach stuff to and the deformable terrain

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

was that the one with the backpack you attach stuff to and the deformable terrain

Yeah, it looks kinda neat. But I usually get really bored with crafting focused games like that really fast unless it's 2010 and i can spend a weekend making a house in mine craft

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

Yeah, it looks kinda neat. But I usually get really bored with crafting focused games like that really fast unless it's 2010 and i can spend a weekend making a house in mine craft

it has multiplayer though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Oooo that's cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmm.. $20... but it looks cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CrashCat posted:

fly me to the moon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that should say "goon" sorry

Games > Astroneer: Fly Me to the Goon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yo I'd like to throw shoutouts to Gemcraft Chapter 2 (I think it's called Chasing Shadows) for being the perfect game to play while I'm stuck in bed with nausea and these loving kidney stones. Not too much fast-paced action, and perfect controls for slowing the game down so I can play it with the touchpad on this crappy laptop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fly me to the goon
Let me play among the tards

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:catstare:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Nier 2 is looking awesome and I'm eager to get that demo, and it's killing me that I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours with literally nothing to do.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LawfulWaffle posted:

Nier 2 is looking awesome and I'm eager to get that demo, and it's killing me that I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours with literally nothing to do.

at least it isn't snowing

looks like it wont snow all weekend either, a weird christmas

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Metal Warriors is one of the rarest SNES games there is, and is a fantastic game to boot. That it's an anime-inspired Lucasarts mech game complete with ingame cutscenes blew my mind as a kid. Seriously, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVPStKzLes&hd=1

It's an insanely hard game, I never beat it. I always made it to...the jungle level, I believe, and then ran out of lives. Really fun until I inevitably game overed though.

A lot of the carts floating around aren't legit, it's one of the more notable bootlegged SNES carts, I had a ton of folks message me asking for proof of its legitimacy(detailed photos of the cart and label all around). The manual is apparently way, way rarer since a lot of people tend not to keep the game manuals. This is also why other SNES game manuals can get pricey, like I sold Super Bomberman 2's manual for 20 bucks.

edit: apparently Gamepro called it "an improved Cybernator" which I agree with

They'll have to pry my MW cart from my cold dead hands.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I keep seeing screencaps of people angry about Tracer and I just don't get why they are angry.

I cannot come up with any real reason why her sexual orientation has any bearing on the Overwatch gameplay. It's utterly baffling that they hate it so much. It's not like they could ever meet her and date her in real life. I'm just confounded by the whole vitriol. They are saying Blizzard lied to them. Lied about what? It seems there is more anger over this than the banwaves and I cannot figure it out.

if you dont say an orientation then theyre straight so if you then say they are gay later you lied - some idiots with dumb brains who also are homophobes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junpei Hyde posted:

In the next Zelda game, Link is a girl, and also gay.

that would be really cool

• Locked thread