Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
[dad voice] more like Lame-o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wild EEPROM posted:

google realized that brillo is for scrubs

heyoooo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

refleks posted:

of course it did.

""It's an indication of the maturity of our technology," John Krafcik, the project's chief executive, told reporters. "We can imagine our self-driving tech being used in all sorts of areas."

Until now, the program has been part of secretive research unit Google X. Waymo stands for "A new way forward in mobility," according to Krafcik.

"We can imagine our self-driving technology being used in lots of different areas — ride-sharing business, in transportation, trucking, logistics, even personal use vehicles and licensing with automakers," Krafcik said."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/13/google-self-driving-car-unit-to-become-waymo.html

It's actually an indication that they want it to silently die.

Apr 7, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

[dad voice] more like Lame-o

Lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
that name is waymo dumb than i thought they could come up with

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

refleks posted:

im gonna go ahead and say that the autism ball pit got tired of trying to get those last 20% of the way, spun that poo poo off so they can quietly close it down in a couple of years without it being too attached to the GOOGLE BRAND (TM)

google ran into regulations in making their own car and as usual they got scared / bored and decided to punt on that and let other people make the cars and deal with it. now the plan is to have fiat make self driving taxis running google software.

this puts the self driving car project on the profitability track, where they need to define a clear path towards making money instead of just being a resource draining research project. that means deadlines and milestones instead of just loving around, and potentially killing the project if it doesn't make it. if it's starting to look like it's not going well you will probably see a huge drain of talent to competitors (spoiler: this is already happening)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
googes ability to design and sell products outside of its search/web services/data center/advertising core is just dismal, isnt it? motorola, nest, boston dynamics, their renewable energy project, fiber rollout, their health technology arm, glass, and now the self-driving car (they were a big funder of magicleap too). they pour tons of money into trying to get into (or invent) new business, and htey have so little to show for it, even after a decade-plus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
gotta be profitable in the first five years bruh or its not worth the investment

- every ceo, hedge fund manager, and wall street banker ever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there's a new version of android for embedded/iot devices called Android Things

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

embedded/iot devices
is there a better word for this? "garbage" works but it's not very descriptive

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
embedded/i(di)ot devices

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
imagine the guy from Anchorman with the hat saying "Whaayymo"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XH_HxapMA4

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

qirex posted:

so just keeping score sergey has had like one good idea like ever?

Wonderful, now in addition to those mutant weird looking self driving cars in Mountain View, we're going to be subjected to self driving Mom vans. Thanks Google.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mister Macys posted:

gotta be profitable in the first five years bruh or its not worth the investment

- every ceo, hedge fund manager, and wall street banker ever

google doing a pretty good job of showing that "hey work on whatever interests you!" isn't a valid strategy either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it might work if they hired anyone other than horrible goons with a CS degree and the ability to be smug about logic puzzles

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

is there a better word for this? "garbage" works but it's not very descriptive

the edge?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

trilljester posted:

Wonderful, now in addition to those mutant weird looking self driving cars in Mountain View, we're going to be subjected to self driving Mom vans. Thanks Google.

Marge quietly sits in her autocleaning house as the van picks up Bart and Lisa, pouring herself another glass of wine

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Agile Vector posted:

Marge quietly sits in her autocleaning house as the van picks up Bart and Lisa, pouring herself another glass of wine

I know doctors say you should drink a glass and a half but I just can't drink that much.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

then it should be ANWAY but I guess that would be too self aware

Its ANWFIM

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Hi,

When we announced our plans to relaunch the Nest Community in fall 2016, we did so with the intention of providing the best place for our customers to engage with us and each other, and provide feedback directly to Nest.

With the success of our products and the growth of our company, we are busier than ever. So we’ve chosen to change our original relaunch plan for the Nest Community, and instead we’re focusing on continuing to provide superior support via the web, phone, chat, and social media.

Over the past months, we’ve put a lot of work into reimagining Community. We’ve been enthusiastic about giving it a new look and feel, and even more great features. For now, we are just putting that work on hold. We’ll revisit our plans next year, and in the meantime, you can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and G+ to stay up-to-date or provide feedback, and of course you can reach us for technical support via nest.com/help.

Thanks,
Nest Support

rip

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Millstone posted:

Hi,

When we announced our plans to relaunch the Nest Community in fall 2016, we did so with the intention of providing the best place for our customers to engage with us and each other, and provide feedback directly to Nest.

With the success of our products and the growth of our company, we are busier than ever. So we’ve chosen to change our original relaunch plan for the Nest Community, and instead we’re focusing on continuing to provide superior support via the web, phone, chat, and social media.

Over the past months, we’ve put a lot of work into reimagining Community. We’ve been enthusiastic about giving it a new look and feel, and even more great features. For now, we are just putting that work on hold. We’ll revisit our plans next year, and in the meantime, you can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and G+ to stay up-to-date or provide feedback, and of course you can reach us for technical support via nest.com/help.

Thanks,
Nest Support

rip

My god I cant even loving parse this poo poo, social media? Reimagining community enthusiasm what the gently caress are they saying?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dicky mouse posted:

what the gently caress are they saying?
running a forum is hard

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Google gonna kill off nest.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

spankmeister posted:

Google gonna kill off nest.

At some point are investors gonna ask why google buys things only to kill them off vs just spinning them out?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dicky mouse posted:

My god I cant even loving parse this poo poo, social media? Reimagining community enthusiasm what the gently caress are they saying?

stay tuned for our kirkparper

Apr 7, 2003

Ah, the Trump school of PR: no matter how badly you're doing, just keep screaming "We're doing great! Our products are very successful!" over and over.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

google ran into regulations in making their own car and as usual they got scared / bored and decided to punt on that and let other people make the cars and deal with it. now the plan is to have fiat make self driving taxis running google software.

this puts the self driving car project on the profitability track, where they need to define a clear path towards making money instead of just being a resource draining research project. that means deadlines and milestones instead of just loving around, and potentially killing the project if it doesn't make it. if it's starting to look like it's not going well you will probably see a huge drain of talent to competitors (spoiler: this is already happening)

wasnt there some sergey edict wherein if some venture isnt in a billion peoples hands it isnt worth doing and thats why certain things cant even be steered in a profitable direction? like the boston dynamics team wanted to license robotics software for industry and military and he was like "thats not a robot dog in every house SELL!" ?

i know i read that somewhere - eta: cant find anything about it now

that said the explanation of google not wanting their name associated with autonomous freeroaming murder machines makes just as much sense

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 22, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dicky mouse posted:

when your community is making videos like this its best not to give them a place to complain and congregate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

when your community is making videos like this its best not to give them a place to complain and congregate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

wasn't that an employee?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

wasnt there some sergei edict wherein if some venture isnt in a billion peoples hands it isnt worth doing and thats why certain things cant even be steered in a profitable direction? like the boston dynamics team wanted to license robotics software for industry and military and he was like "thats not a robot dog in every house SELL!" ?

i know i read that somewhere

that said the explanation of google not wanting their name associated with autonomous freeroaming murder machines makes just as much sense

close, it is not that it be worth a billion dollars but that it be used every day by a billion people and it is Page not Sergei. he calls it the "toothbrush test":

quote:

Google’s robotics group built those machines and wanted to sell them to manufacturers, warehouse operators and others. However, executives at Google parent Alphabet Inc. nixed the plan because it failed Chief Executive Officer Larry Page’s "toothbrush test," a requirement that the company only ship products used daily by billions of people, according to people familiar with the situation.

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

close, it is not that it be worth a billion dollars but that it be used every day by a billion people and it is Page not Sergei. he calls it the "toothbrush test":

Toothbrushes were for a long time used by less than a billion people but still had a massive impact on public health and quality of life. Larry Page is a dildo.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

hobbesmaster posted:

wasn't that an employee?

yup, moderately senior/long-tenured guy too iirc

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ah, the Trump school of PR: no matter how badly you're doing, just keep screaming "We're doing great! Our products are very successful!" over and over.

"Advancing our amazing bet"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

my favorite child of spindoctored PR is the term "incredible journeyed", taken from those sappy CEO farewell letters for a startup that shuts down due to buyout or failure

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

LastInLine posted:

wasnt there some sergey edict wherein if some venture isnt in a billion peoples hands it isnt worth doing and thats why certain things cant even be steered in a profitable direction? like the boston dynamics team wanted to license robotics software for industry and military and he was like "thats not a robot dog in every house SELL!" ?

Shifty Pony posted:

It makes perfect sense that they don't want to sell low-volume specialty products. How are robots for the military/industry going to help them sell ads?

Google gets the best of both worlds by having their products be as pervasive as consumer products, but as profitable as selling products to businesses because they are selling ad space served in those consumer products to companies.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 22, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

when I interviewed at google the last interviewer was a phd working on medical imaging research. I totally should've asked what he thought about the "toothbrush" policy

(of course by interview 5 I could no longer do basic arithmetic)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

when I interviewed at google the last interviewer was a phd working on medical imaging research. I totally should've asked what he thought about the "toothbrush" policy

(of course by interview 5 I could no longer do basic arithmetic)

Yeah, obviously they aren't consistent about it. Don't they still have that wind power company? Other than positive press about how Google cares about the environment, how are windmills going to help them sell ads?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, obviously they aren't consistent about it. Don't they still have that wind power company? Other than positive press about how Google cares about the environment, how are windmills going to help them sell ads?
mostly making their datacenters cheaper to operate, just like their hot datacenters. it's pretty solid good business, esp. when they get those sweet, sweet tax credits

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bhodi posted:

my favorite child of spindoctored PR is the term "incredible journeyed", taken from those sappy CEO farewell letters for a startup that shuts down due to buyout or failure
still great: https://ourincrediblejourney.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

silence_kit posted:

It makes perfect sense that they don't want to sell low-volume specialty products. How are robots for the military/industry going to help them sell ads?

by shouting ads for medical services

• Locked thread