Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Also adding new missions to a single-player game as DLC is pretty different from adding new pieces to a chessboard that you have to pay to unlock. (It's also loving dumb when League of Legends does it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Kwilty posted:

Fallout 4, Bioshock, BF1, really a long list of games that do this same poo poo. Yeah it's lovely, but why wouldn't Capcom do it when the business model has been so successful for other games?

because fighting games and other competitive games traditionally don't come with a fraction of their options if you purchase at full price. you don't need to grind matches or pay 5 dollars to unlock the AWP in CS, and in chess I don't need to play 200 games before I can get bishops. having a handful of DLC characters like in guilty gear is bad enough, but having 26 total characters with 10 of them being DLC is pretty egregious. add to this the fact that the game will be "supported" until 2020 actually just means that there will be an additional 10-15 characters added to the roster if they keep their current pace with around 40 characters, with only 16 coming with the base, full price game. This is a straight up free-to-play model, but everything is monetized, and the season pass doesn't even cover everything. This would be a completely different situation if the base game was free with every component being monetized.

the season passes are 30 dollars. they are planning on having 3 more seasons for a total of 5. the price for an incomplete package here is something like 200 dollars, without colors, without stages, without costumes. for being a featureless mess of a game it sure is expensive

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is game good yet

it no

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

I think we're getting close to the point where they'll release some kind of free to play version since the base game is like $15. Although it's entirely possible that they'll just make an even more loving neutered version as the free to play game.

Wasn't there a thing data mined out of the latest patch that said something about a trial?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I have spent an embarrassingly large amount of money on this game, and i think that justifies me trashing it, even if I only play it once in a while

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
lol what happened to this game?

Dog Hausu posted:

I think we're getting close to the point where they'll release some kind of free to play version since the base game is like $15. Although it's entirely possible that they'll just make an even more loving neutered version as the free to play game.

Wasn't there a thing data mined out of the latest patch that said something about a trial?

Just do what DOA did and have Ken/Ryu for free while the rest of the cast is on monthly rotations. Add Chun and Gief to the permanently uncloaked characters.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All cast f2p, specials are microtransactions. 25c a fireball, 50c for a dp.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i think f2p with a limited cast makes a fighting game worthless and you should only do it if youre dumb, ugly and also a westerner

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zand posted:

because fighting games and other competitive games traditionally don't come with a fraction of their options if you purchase at full price. you don't need to grind matches or pay 5 dollars to unlock the AWP in CS, and in chess I don't need to play 200 games before I can get bishops. having a handful of DLC characters like in guilty gear is bad enough, but having 26 total characters with 10 of them being DLC is pretty egregious. add to this the fact that the game will be "supported" until 2020 actually just means that there will be an additional 10-15 characters added to the roster if they keep their current pace with around 40 characters, with only 16 coming with the base, full price game. This is a straight up free-to-play model, but everything is monetized, and the season pass doesn't even cover everything. This would be a completely different situation if the base game was free with every component being monetized.

the season passes are 30 dollars. they are planning on having 3 more seasons for a total of 5. the price for an incomplete package here is something like 200 dollars, without colors, without stages, without costumes. for being a featureless mess of a game it sure is expensive

Counterpoint, League of Legends

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i think f2p with a limited cast makes a fighting game worthless and you should only do it if youre dumb, ugly and also a westerner

Capcom: well 2 out 3 ain't bad. Hold my sake.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sfv should have at least had the fireballs to have been f2p where you pay for characters

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Counterpoint, League of Legends

league doesnt charge for base game, so,

me in quoted post posted:

This would be a completely different situation if the base game was free with every component being monetized.

and the league model sucks compared to dota 2 for a competitive game. the only reason it works for league is because the characters are a samey mess of interchangeable garbage

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zand posted:

league doesnt charge for base game, so,

and the league model sucks compared to dota 2 for a competitive game. the only reason it works for league is because the characters are a samey mess of interchangeable garbage

I only remembered that they used to sell a boxed copy of League

Also yeah League sucks

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

it really does feel like Capcom is being forced to tank sfv5. like does someone have leverage on them?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Harada has Ono's family hostage

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
And the League model is not the model to emulate, the DOTA2 one is. (All game content unlocked, tonnes of cosmetic options with rules about maintaining recognisation, semi-random unlocks.)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zelder posted:

it really does feel like Capcom is being forced to tank sfv5. like does someone have leverage on them?

Never attribute to malice that which is readily explained by incompetence.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Incidental: Did they fix DirectInput yet?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Shockeh posted:

Incidental: Did they fix DirectInput yet?

Yes.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Shockeh posted:

And the League model is not the model to emulate, the DOTA2 one is. (All game content unlocked, tonnes of cosmetic options with rules about maintaining recognisation, semi-random unlocks.)

The DOTA model is impossible to emulate unless you have Valve or Blizzard money + market share tbh though, hasn't Capcom lost a bunch of money?

Not that what they're doing right now is good or anything, just sayin.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Saint Freak posted:

All cast f2p, specials are microtransactions. 25c a fireball, 50c for a dp.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
They'd have to make DP invincible again.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

It's 75 cents for an invincible dp buddy

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The model they're going for would've been fine if either the game didn't cost $60 or if they didn't price new characters so much higher compared to the cost of SF4 DLC.
But they did both of those things and also made their game bad and keep making it worse.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Plus your mom already has a trademark on 50 cent dp's.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

None of those games were released with like 1/4th the functionality of the last iteration of the series much less other games in their genres.

In the same respect though, the only thing they are freemium are the characters and additional aesthetics. I get the complaint if they were charging for the challenges or something...

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kwilty posted:

In the same respect though, the only thing they are freemium are the characters and additional aesthetics. I get the complaint if they were charging for the challenges or something...

characters are tools in your toolbox. people with less access to characters are at a competitive disadvantage relative to people with characters. If you're just a passerby with no intention of playing this game in a head-to-head format or interested in trying to do well in an inherently competitive game than this probably makes no sense. But this genre is built on 2 players fighting eachother where the asymmetry comes from that character or options that are picked. The asymmetry should not and historically has not included access to characters or options until very recent times. SFV has more monetization for competitive tools than any other game in the genre.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Plus your mom already has a trademark on 50 cent dp's.

drat.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zand posted:

characters are tools in your toolbox. people with less access to characters are at a competitive disadvantage relative to people with characters. If you're just a passerby with no intention of playing this game in a head-to-head format or interested in trying to do well in an inherently competitive game than this probably makes no sense. But this genre is built on 2 players fighting eachother where the asymmetry comes from that character or options that are picked. The asymmetry should not and historically has not included access to characters or options until very recent times. SFV has more monetization for competitive tools than any other game in the genre.

People main one or maybe two characters. It's not a big deal. Get over it. I remember the same arguments being made about LoL, where matchups are often 'Gief-level, and limited character selection just doesn't matter in the long run. At all. You gotta be Faker-tier to be able to play everybody at a high level. Even Nuckledu only has ~3 characters.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kwilty posted:

you can't learn matchups without all the characters because you require them to do setups in training mode recording, or to practice character specific combos on. you also can't learn their moves on your own and rely on playing others online to learn what other characters options are.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
fwiw my primary gripe is the dlc model is both prohibitively expensive and modeled after a f2p game after a gated 60 dollar purchase which is ridiculously expensive. the "full game" cost 90 dollars outright in a single year. i have nothing against expansion content costing money down the line to fund a competitive game, but there becomes a point where the barrier for entry is too high. sfv has that issue.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Corbeau posted:

People main one or maybe two characters. It's not a big deal. Get over it. I remember the same arguments being made about LoL, where matchups are often 'Gief-level, and limited character selection just doesn't matter in the long run. At all. You gotta be Faker-tier to be able to play everybody at a high level. Even Nuckledu only has ~3 characters.
you're wrong btw

you cant even practice in training mode to learn situations without buying the characters. if you cant see how not having access to characters limits you competitively... like with or without someone spelling it out for you, you're hopeless.

200 dollar fighting game lol

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Corbeau posted:

:chloe:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
who the gently caress is faker

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not being able to use dlc characters in the training mode to find out how to counter X thing, is a disaster.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, I grant that not having them in training mode sucks.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zand posted:

I don't think this is really true at all, at least compared to a MOBA. FGs are 1v1 multiplayer where you are blind to the other pick until after you make yours with mirrors allowed. You aren't picking a character to counter another or work with another, like what DOTA and League are supposed to be doing in their long rear end pre-game drafting parts.

I think you have less options only in the sense that you have less of the game than is available but this isn't really different than any other DLC. Like I don't see how it is imbalanced or anything like that. Although it would be good to be able to practice mode against DLC characters (they should add this) just to see their buttons without having to wait out seeing the character in a casual queue or something.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't think this is really true at all, at least compared to a MOBA. FGs are 1v1 multiplayer where you are blind to the other pick until after you make yours with mirrors allowed. You aren't picking a character to counter another or work with another, like what DOTA and League are supposed to be doing in their long rear end pre-game drafting parts.

I think you have less options only in the sense that you have less of the game than is available but this isn't really different than any other DLC. Like I don't see how it is imbalanced or anything like that. Although it would be good to be able to practice mode against DLC characters (they should add this) just to see their buttons without having to wait out seeing the character in a casual queue or something.

you can counter pick in fight games

some chars have better MUs than other chars

that's the main reason why someone would want to have multiple chars in their pocket

we are talking about this from a tournament competitive perspective

not from online ranked perspective where you get matched up with someone randomly

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

If i was committed to a fighting game that was scheduled to cost 200 dollars for the characters alone and even more for the complete package I'd probably feel the need to defend it too but I dont think my brain is limber enough to justify it. I mean, I could purchase literally every iteration of guilty gear fg franchise for that price, or every previous penultimate street fighter game for that price, or the entire tekken series, etc

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

you're wrong. access to characters is access to options

thanks everyone who has decided to out themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zand posted:

you're wrong btw

you cant even practice in training mode to learn situations without buying the characters. if you cant see how not having access to characters limits you competitively... like with or without someone spelling it out for you, you're hopeless.

200 dollar fighting game lol

If you want to be competitive why would you not buy the characters?