Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

orcinus posted:

Goons are whatever the ~dreams~ require them be.

REally they should just let goons be the Vanduul. Goons make much better antagonists than any shoddy AI.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

orcinus posted:

Goons are whatever the ~dreams~ require them be.

…or ~nightmares~ as the case may be.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Please stop responding to people who only want to be validated by getting a response.

Please stop telling people to kill themselves.

Please enjoy your holiday.

Astroneer is a lot of fun.

Thank you.

are you trying to stop the comedy? or just the dead gayness? not sure.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

orcinus posted:

That's all fine, but you do realize that in any other country this would very much categorize you as a gun nut, right?

Disclaimer: I'm not anti-gun-ownership, i've got nothing against gun nuts. I am pro-gun-control, however, and i very much do have beef with idiots owning guns. It's not black and white. It's not either no guns or everyone has a gun. There are actual shades in between.

I understand. :)

But I live in America, where my neighbor has several shotguns (one hanging over the door I guess "just in case" :confused:), more pistols than fingers, and rifles the likes of which I can't even begin to place.

Also my delusion of the apocalypse is "I'll be dead pretty fast" as opposed to going on with a million guns probably puts me in the minority of American life. I feel like being categorized as a "gun nut" also needs a certain cavalier attitude to accompany it. Again though, I live in the US where owning a gun is not seen as an evil thing in and of itself.

I apologize for being a crazed gun maniac to all non-US goons. :(

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Sabreseven posted:

Are they.., er.., do they.., Are they actually trying to say they want to suck Ben off?

:barf::tubular:

they would have to find it first

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Ha-ha, wow, yeah, no, gently caress getting out of the pod here.

Good game, would die alone and terrified in the depths of an alien world again.

I would have nope'd and lifted right off.

Astroneer has huge potential. What they've built so far is oh so very solid. Just imagine running across mobile aliens or having a more rigorous survival mechanics. How about a space station? I am totally stuck in ~dreams~ for this game's future. :allears:

Unlike the most fidelious game on the planet Star Citizen.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:popeye:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You have no refunds here!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly this thread is the best Christmas present I could have ever asked for. I'm learning so much.

Oh this is very good lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Don't sue me bro!

:woof:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I, too, want to live in a world where corporations can sue private citizens for saying mean things about them.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Meridian posted:

Steam sale starting, go get some space games that are actually good.

Serious Post: Which space games are actually good that I should buy?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

I, too, want to live in a world where corporations can sue private citizens for saying mean things about them.

Well tough luck, cause "ThanksObama" just made that illegal. Sheesh!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eldragon posted:

Are you willing to accept early access insecurity and jank?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Eldragon posted:

What do you want your space game to do best (exploration ? combat ? trading and crafting ?) and how much are you willing to spend in greenbacks ?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Raskolnikov posted:

Don't sue me bro!

:woof:

I also want to see justice for the tortured CIG staff

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Eldragon posted:

I haven't looked at the sale yet myself, but I would keep an eye out for Rebel Galaxy, Distant Worlds, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, X3: Terran Conflict and expansion Albion Prelude.

There is also AI War, Space Pirates and Zombies, Endless Space 2 (early access),

Heard Evochron Mercenary is good but haven't played it.

That is a decent spread, covers a few genres.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Eldragon posted:

X3 is good and what star citizen: the economy was pitched as (without the FPS).

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/20/14029448/star-citizen-crytek-closures-impact-squadron-42-star-marine

What are the cultists talking about in the comments here? Are there planets in the game now?

quote:

They added procedural planet tech that streams in without loading and runs at 60fps.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sandweed posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/20/14029448/star-citizen-crytek-closures-impact-squadron-42-star-marine

What are the cultists talking about in the comments here? Are there planets in the game now?

They're in a possibly pre-rendered and/or in-editor demo. Which in SC terms means it's practically in-game or, really, has been in so long that it has already become outdated and it's about time CIG goes back to the drawing board to figure out a more modern update.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Sandweed posted:

wtf no.

What they actually did (if you take their ATVs as truth) is create a tool that allows them to procedurally generate a tiled heightmap. Which they then have artists pretty up. Its not a new way to make levels in any sense.

Its not procedurally generated as you travel through the game like Elite or Minecraft. So it has to be stored on harddrive. The homestead demo alone was like 10 gigs lol.

None of the planets are in the game in any sense of the word. If they were the PU would be 100 gigs easy.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 22, 2016

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Astroneer has huge potential. What they've built so far is oh so very solid. Just imagine running across mobile aliens or having a more rigorous survival mechanics. How about a space station? I am totally stuck in ~dreams~ for this game's future. :allears:

I bought Astroneer after hearing about it here and what I like about it is how the parts fit together so intuitively. Realising I could plug a fuel resource into the socket on my rover after it ran out of power, and it just worked how I expected, was so cool. Realising I could plug another rover into that same socket - mind blown.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Meridian posted:

Steam sale starting, go get some space games that are actually good.

TLD is at like 50% off. One of the best games I ever played, and truly "immersive". If anyone ever asks me for a game recommend, TLD is that game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/

The Hyperdimension series is also piss cheap, but they are very acquired taste games. If you like JRPGish games, they're well worth checking out for their 4th wall smashing jokes.

e. Neither are space games, but who the gently caress cares? TLD is also an early access done right.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sandweed posted:

No, none of that exists, except in the carefully crafted convention demos. You can't even get near a planet in your ship without being artificially blocked off. Every bit of Star Marine I've seen only exists on space stations.

That gives me a good idea. Hey, CIG, make a Star Marine level that takes place on a planet.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tippis posted:

So, doors are controlled client-side and the animations are culled in such a way that they don't run through their movements properly, apparently…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXt2PHcOyo

That this bug could even exist is an achievement in ignorance on CIG's part.

quoting from 20 pages back

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this infographic a bullshit attempt to justify problems with SC's development?

I thought Alpha was the game content and feature set is essentially finished and in the build and all they are doing are fixing bugs found by internal playtesters. A beta build to me is basically the finished product as far as they can tell internally but they send it out so they can find rare bugs that only occur with specific machine configurations or are difficult to replicate. Maybe they also do some balance changes as they pull in better data from a large number of players but that's essentially a separate process from the software development since they are just tweaking weapon damage and stuff in spreadsheets.

From what I've seen Star Citizen IS pre-Alpha by conventional standards. I think the main argument revolves around if it is even past the design stage.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 22, 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

What do you want your space game to do best (exploration ? combat ? trading and crafting ?) and how much are you willing to spend in greenbacks ?

Basically a privateer-like game, but isn't a billion miles wide and 1 inch deep. So more like Rebel Galaxy, and less like Elite Dangerous.

Every couple months I fire up Elite to try and force myself to like it, but I eventually realize I'm not actually having fun and stop.

Meridian posted:

I haven't looked at the sale yet myself, but I would keep an eye out for Rebel Galaxy, Distant Worlds, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, X3: Terran Conflict and expansion Albion Prelude.

There is also AI War, Space Pirates and Zombies, Endless Space 2 (early access),

Heard Evochron Mercenary is good but haven't played it.

That is a decent spread, covers a few genres.

I haven't played Distant Worlds or Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, I'll look into those. Thanks.

Tippis posted:

Are you willing to accept early access insecurity and jank?

Yes as long as the core gameplay is fun. e.g. "Lost Colony" is amazing even if its janky and ugly as poo poo.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

orcinus posted:

I especially like the nose.
Clearly inspired by the Herald.

Man, those engines are big, look at them! Where do they store all the fuel that such large rockets use?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

BRB pooping posted:

Man, those engines are big, look at them! Where do they store all the fuel that such large rockets use?

In the wallets of the Star Citizens.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

BRB pooping posted:

The stubby little wings are the best. They're about as useful as T-Rex arms.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jsjwu/this_game_its_so_beautiful_im_looking_out_the/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eldragon posted:

Yes as long as the core gameplay is fun. e.g. "Lost Colony" is amazing even if its janky and ugly as poo poo.

Then I'd suggest at least looking at the now-famous Astroneer, as well as Everspace and Space Engineers.

If you want more of a tried and tested throwback, there's Homeworld Remastered and Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

And it's old, and everyone should have played it already, but it is technically in space, so… Alien: Isolation. :D

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A game with better character customization, physics and online that Star Citizen. There's a Space Race mode and some Ball Game, according to the trailer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/469820

Exinos posted:

The stubby little wings are the best. They're about as useful as T-Rex arms.
Ben's been pretty good with those.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I understand. :)

But I live in America, where my neighbor has several shotguns (one hanging over the door I guess "just in case" :confused:), more pistols than fingers, and rifles the likes of which I can't even begin to place.

Also my delusion of the apocalypse is "I'll be dead pretty fast" as opposed to going on with a million guns probably puts me in the minority of American life. I feel like being categorized as a "gun nut" also needs a certain cavalier attitude to accompany it. Again though, I live in the US where owning a gun is not seen as an evil thing in and of itself.

I apologize for being a crazed gun maniac to all non-US goons. :(

Hey, i never called anyone a crazed gun maniac.
I read "gun-nut" as a "firearm enthusiast". Or, pretty much, anyone with more than one gun or a gun without an actual need to possess one.

Even so, stricter gun license procedures *do* have an effect, and *do* make sense.
It's the basics of risk management - no, going through psych tests and having a chat with (sometimes pretty vicious psychiatrists *) before being allowed to carry a gun won't weed out every single idiot or mentally labile person. But it will weed out most of them. Which is good.

* Case in point - my dad's friend, normally the most phlegmatic, stable and benevolent person i can think of, got provoked by a psych evaluator into almost screaming and crying, when he was trying to get his carrying license. Which might seem like a very douchey thing to do to a person, but if just talking to a stranger for 15 minutes can get you to lose your poo poo, maybe you shouldn't be walking around with a gun?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

intardnation posted:

they would have to find it fish it pick it out first

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

Oh this is very good lol

Just need to overlay the code on these ideas! The hard part is already done! :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sankis posted:

There's most likely going to be lawsuits. It just won't be cig as the plaintiff. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard