Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bhodi posted:

mostly making their datacenters cheaper to operate, just like their hot datacenters. it's pretty solid good business, esp. when they get those sweet, sweet tax credits

OK OK, let's assume that this company's baroque way of generating electricity from the wind actually becomes cost-competitive with normal wind power. (The company is actually not really a windmill company--in an attempt to harvest a more concentrated energy resource, wind at high altitudes, their technology is to fly a small autonomous airplane connected to the base station by a cable, and have the wind turn the propellers on the airplane backwards, generating electricity) Does it actually make sense for Google to buy and maintain their own wind farms to power their data centers?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Agile Vector posted:

by shouting ads for medical services

Lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

OK OK, let's assume that this company's baroque way of generating electricity from the wind actually becomes cost-competitive with normal wind power. (The company is actually not really a windmill company--in an attempt to harvest a more concentrated energy resource, wind at high altitudes, their technology is to fly a small autonomous airplane connected to the base station by a cable, and have the wind turn the propellers on the airplane backwards, generating electricity) Does it actually make sense for Google to buy and maintain their own wind farms to power their data centers?
probably not, but you can siphon off amazing amounts of government money through tax credits and green initiatives

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
When it comes to taxes and credits it's all about the intent rather than the result. There's no governance wrt intelligent spending; you just get poo poo.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

silence_kit posted:

It makes perfect sense that they don't want to sell low-volume specialty products. How are robots for the military/industry going to help them sell ads?

well, imagine if robocop had a pico projector built into his little visor deal and it showed ads for bail bonds and cash4title loans

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
i don't know why Google and Uber both think they're up for managing and maintain a massive fleet of cars distributed all over the US and eventually the world

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

well, imagine if robocop had a pico projector built into his little visor deal and it showed ads for bail bonds and cash4title loans

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

silence_kit posted:

It makes perfect sense that they don't want to sell low-volume specialty products. How are robots for the military/industry going to help them sell ads?

put airsoft, firearm, prepper poo poo, and cabela's logos on them

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

for an additional fee, the murderbot with your ad gallops to the front of the pack

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

this might be a safer alternative given modern softwares difficulty detecting black people

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dijkstracula/status/412395886103130113

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

sinekumquat posted:

i don't know why Google and Uber both think they're up for managing and maintain a massive fleet of cars distributed all over the US and eventually the world

considering that uber's literal entire business model is built around offloading those costs to its employees, if they ever do a large scale rollout they'd probably make people buy and maintain their own cars (or lease them from uber, more likely) and get some percentage of the profits from each ride.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why is that possible

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

why is that possible
very carefully

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

why is that possible

vba exists and good money can be made supporting that clusterfuck

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i believe google sheets uses javascript

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

why are sounds needed in any kind of spreadsheet tho

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powaqoatse posted:

why are sounds needed in any kind of spreadsheet tho

so your quarterly reports can be summarized simply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Agile Vector posted:

so your quarterly reports can be summarized simply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

nooooo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Can anyone with Samsung device experience help me out? Trying to figure out a way to use Tasker or Nova Launcher (or whatever non-root method would work) to automate switching screen mode when launching certain apps. Like switching to Reading Mode when launching Kindle, or Cinema when using Netflix, etc.

This thing:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

LastInLine posted:

that said the explanation of google not wanting their name associated with autonomous freeroaming murder machines makes just as much sense

checks out

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lmao

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Now this is purely anecdotal but it's something I've never bothered to change but did on my Pixel:

I've always had the "Keep Wifi on during sleep" option set to "always" thinking that it wouldn't have an affect with battery life but I disabled the option to only have remain on only when plugged in. I have noticed my battery life is doing much better through the day, even though standby time was already fantastic. Curious if any of ya'll have noticed the same?

genius

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
embedded anroid having problems, smart tv not so smart now, huh?!

https://twitter.com/darrencauthon/status/813096722989809665

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lg uses webos tho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh it's a few years old model with some abandoned version of google tv or something that they tried to install some russian pirate movie app that (shocking!) is actually malware

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

laymo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
do not connect your tv to the internet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

oh it's a few years old model with some abandoned version of google tv or something that they tried to install some russian pirate movie app that (shocking!) is actually malware

lol

but also i don't think it's possible to buy a new "dumb" tv anymore

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just buy "digital signage" from spinitar or w/e

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ArmZ posted:

lol

but also i don't think it's possible to buy a new "dumb" tv anymore

they're called "computer monitors"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it is, but it will be the cheapest garbage trash and like 30" max

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Management posted:

do not connect your tv to the internet

better hope none of your neighbors have an open network for it to auto connect to

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh. it's all "smart" signage now. rip

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
can you just not connect the "smart" tv to the internet or will it complain?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It complains at least once but you can always turn the complaining off in the options. I'd recommend connecting it once to download any firmware updates and then disconnect and never connect it again

they use bottom dollar procecessors and the menus / decoding is as slow as they think they can get away with so you're better with literally any other streaming device over whatever's offered internally as a "smart feature"

i don't think any tvs autoconnect to open networks as that would be awful but also hilarious and probably show up as a defcon talk

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 27, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite smart tv feature is how samsung pushed out an os update that added advertising banners to TVs up to 3 years old

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

It complains at least once but you can always turn the complaining off in the options. I'd recommend connecting it once to download any firmware updates and then disconnect and never connect it again

some you can update with a usb drive but then again

qirex posted:

my favorite smart tv feature is how samsung pushed out an os update that added advertising banners to TVs up to 3 years old

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

this is why you never connect them to the internet, not even once, how loving stupid are you bhodi

Bhodi posted:

i don't think any tvs autoconnect to open networks as that would be awful
ah, i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm p sure samsungs were caught connecting to open networks to download new ads

• Locked thread