Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the new Star Trek has light sabers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cojawfee posted:

They only have one gun and it's banned.

I love how Odo only knew how a bullet wound would look forensically because someone loaned him a trash detective novel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When did Romulans get their really pronounced forehead ridges? I guess TNG. I really prefer them looking much closer to Vulcans.

Really though I just prefer this:

Also I'm really a sucker for any scify that has decent skylines/landscapes/MAGNIFICENT CITIES. I'm enjoying this romulan drone episode just because they went to the trouble of having a nice little romulan skyline out the window. It's so rare to get big open shots in scify, it's always cramped ships or stations or cave planets. I understand the budget/effects/sets reasons but drat give me some big public squares in some futuristic mega city once in a while, or more establishing shots and windows with cool views.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 22, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Star Trek Beyond did a good job with the future city thing.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

I got hooked from a mate showing me 'The Visitor' and spent the last 10 months slowly through DS9.

I'm not sure I can slog through the original series so what's the best way to go? Should I go back a series to The Next Generation or go forward to Voyager?

The original series is amazing and only the poo poo episodes feel like slogs. You can get an episode guide, but really it's pretty easy to spot the crap episodes in Star Trek because they usually have poo poo all actually happen in the first five minutes, whereas almost all of the classic episodes get the plot moving ASAP. TOS is a little tricky because they liked to have a redshirt die or whatever early on to make you think an otherwise dull episode was exciting, but it's fairly transparent when they're doing this and my advice is to just watch random episodes (there's barely any continuity, but it is good to start with the first season and go on from there because the character dynamics do change a bit) and if an episode has a boring start, just skip it. Also don't try watching the third season until you're hooked on the show. It's mostly poo poo because they had no budget.

FWIW, the slow start=bad episode rule works even better for TNG and Voyager, so start noticing if they start on the planet or on the way to the planet and you can save yourself a lot of pain.

Other bad episode red flags: the ship's latest visitor is a girl, bad actors (especially kids), you're ten minutes in and they haven't left the ship yet (Balance of Terror and Corbomite Maneuver are exceptions), the script is "off" (dialog is stiff, characters don't sound like themselves, the technobabble is blatantly nonsensical, etc.), prime directive/non-interference hand wringing, bullshit space magic (it's like alcohol, but also affects robots!), and, of course, gratuitous staff meetings (especially in TNG).

e:

8one6 posted:

I love how Odo only knew how a bullet wound would look forensically because someone loaned him a trash detective novel.

It was powder burns, iirc.

Baronjutter posted:

When did Romulans get their really pronounced forehead ridges? I guess TNG. I really prefer them looking much closer to Vulcans.

Also I'm really a sucker for any scify that has decent skylines/landscapes/MAGNIFICENT CITIES. I'm enjoying this romulan drone episode just because they went to the trouble of having a nice little romulan skyline out the window. It's so rare to get big open shots in scify, it's always cramped ships or stations or cave planets. I understand the budget/effects/sets reasons but drat give me some big public squares in some futuristic mega city once in a while, or more establishing shots and windows with cool views.

Yeah, the forehead ridges were a TNG thing and never made sense. TNG only had Vulcans in a few episodes though, so at least it wasn't too jarring (except in Reunification), but I really hate the Berman era makeup teams' lazy overuse of huge latex forehead ridges for half their aliens. Nu-Trek toned the ridges way down and I think it works better.

Also, I echo the love for TOS' serious matte painting game. The burned out colony in Arena is incredible.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 22, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

If you want magnificent cities, have I got a Voyager episode for you.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish they would let Vulcan and Romulan women have long hair again. T'Pol looked so much better with the long hair in the mirror episode. And I don't mean more attractive, I mean not dopey.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

cenotaph posted:

I really wish they would let Vulcan and Romulan women have long hair again. T'Pol looked so much better with the long hair in the mirror episode. And I don't mean more attractive, I mean not dopey.

NO EVERYBODY MUST HAVE A SPOCK HAIRCUT SO WE KNOW THEY ARE VULCAN

(some producer, probably)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sub commander Spack, this is commander Spork. In this mission, you will take Spick, Spank, and Sponk to the romulan neutral zone.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

cenotaph posted:

Well, it's only logical I should have a utilitarian haircut, I am an enlightened, practical individual with no desire to indulge my vanity or attract a mate outside my species, let alone procreate more than once a decade.

*Squeezes her D-cups into a skin suit, slaps on her lipstick and heels, and struts her fine rear end up to the bridge*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vulcanians should just all be bald. Hair is illogical.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, if I took a drink every time this happened in The Fifty Year Mission, I'd be dead:

Writer: Gene was an rear end.
Producer: Gene was an rear end, and personally screwed me over.
Another Writer: Gene was super nice to me, but you didn't work there and not see him being an rear end and screwing people over.
Rod: I don't understand why everyone says my dad was an rear end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering it was his father Rod has a more nuanced view of his dad than most people would of theirs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In book 2 it's basically the same but with Rick. Except it's more

Writer: Don't get me wrong, I think rick had a passion for trek and saw him self as a sort of guardian of it, but he shot down so many interesting stories and plots that it could be infuriating at times.
Cast Member: I had this great scene they wrote for me, but rick vetoed it because he said the scene wasn't proper trek or something, I was pretty upset but I guess his heart was in the right place?
Guest Writer: Rick wasn't all bad, but it was weird that he hired us to write something fresh and new and then would shut down everything because it wasn't exactly like TNG.
Producer: Everyone hated this thing rick did, everyone, but he wouldn't budge and it got ugly, but uhh, he wasn't all bad really.
RICK Berman: DS9 isn't real trek and I'm sort of ashamed it got made under my watch by these terrible people who wanted to pervert trek with imperfect characters and non-white leading men! The enterprise theme is fantastic! I'm the only one who gets it!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Roddenberry personality quirk described in that book was his weird "been in LA too long" view on sex and sexuality.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

RICK Berman: DS9 isn't real trek and I'm sort of ashamed it got made under my watch by these terrible people who wanted to pervert trek with imperfect characters and non-white leading men! The enterprise theme is fantastic! I'm the only one who gets it!

I really enjoyed interviews while Entperprise was on the air when fans were begging him to change the theme, and he would basically say "Yeah, well even thought it's hugely unpopular I think it's kind of nice so I'm keeping it."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Mr. Berman, what do you say to these fans who don't like the Enterprise theme?"

"Yeah well you know what? It's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally here. I WILL see my dreams come alive at night. I can touch the sky. And they're not going to hold me down no more. They are NOT going to change my mind. Because I've got faith of the heart." - Rick Berman.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

"Mr. Berman, what do you say to these fans who don't like the Enterprise theme?"

"Yeah well you know what? It's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally here. I WILL see my dreams come alive at night. I can touch the sky. And they're not going to hold me down no more. They are NOT going to change my mind. Because I've got faith of the heart." - Rick Berman.

You Gotta Have Faith

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You Gotta Have Faith

Baaaaaaaaaaby, I know you're asking me to stay

Oh wait wrong song.

It really does sound like almost everyone who is in charge of Trek at some point goes mad with power and wants everything to conform to an specific, and very personal vision.

That's probably why pop culture that appears in Trek shows tend to be weirdly outdated and not exactly what it's target audience would identify with. I guess it could be what the writers thought was high culture and classy, but it still comes off as weird. Though also most classical music and Irving Berlin are public domain now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm maybe halfway into the first 25-year book and I gotta say, don't get it in audiobook format.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

twistedmentat posted:

That's probably why pop culture that appears in Trek shows tend to be weirdly outdated and not exactly what it's target audience would identify with. I guess it could be what the writers thought was high culture and classy, but it still comes off as weird. Though also most classical music and Irving Berlin are public domain now.
I'm reading the latest Expanse book, and one of the neat world-building things is characters talking about and listening to contemporary (for their time) music and entertainment. It's nice to see pop culture that isn't centuries ancient for its environment.

Did Trek ever show any kind of "modern" (again, for their time) entertainment? The only thing I can think of is Klingon opera. Which I assume is recent, but could just be as much of a throwback for Klingon culture as everything human was.

E: I guess there's also Quark's sex programs.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm reading the latest Expanse book, and one of the neat world-building things is characters talking about and listening to contemporary (for their time) music and entertainment. It's nice to see pop culture that isn't centuries ancient for its environment.

Did Trek ever show any kind of "modern" (again, for their time) entertainment? The only thing I can think of is Klingon opera. Which I assume is recent, but could just be as much of a throwback for Klingon culture as everything human was.

Voyager had 'Photons be free' The Doctor's holonovel.

And the red disc VR game Wesley has to save the day from in TNG :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's really hard to depict future culture and music and fashion well. They either play it safe by having it some how closely mirror what's in style today, which results in those futures looking extremely dated. Or they come up with something actually legitimately different and weird because poo poo is 200 years in the future, and then viewers bitch about how the hair and fashion is so dumb and weird. Or they go the trek route and just pretend culture doesn't even exist.

The civilian fashion gives it away. Early TNG civilian poo poo is 80's as gently caress. Nelix's patterns and colours are 90's as gently caress. DS9 does a better job at not dating its self though, so cudos to ds9 as always. In my mind good scify should be very hard to place when it was made beyond the effects quality. I think DS9 pulls this off the best of any trek, mostly by having it filled with alien fashion rather than human. Jake rocks some good outfits too.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 22, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's really hard to depict future culture and music and fashion well. They either play it safe by having it some how closely mirror what's in style today, which results in those futures looking extremely dated. Or they come up with something actually legitimately different and weird because poo poo is 200 years in the future, and then viewers bitch about how the hair and fashion is so dumb and weird. Or they go the trek route and just pretend culture doesn't even exist.

I thought Hunger Games did a pretty good job of inventing a different and weird fashion sense that seems plausible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, Babylon 5 did this right, I'd argue. They had the human characters love a form of humor that the audience wouldn't get, on the basis that of course you wouldn't get it. You're siding with the aliens going :wtc: over zooty-zoot-zoots and stuff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, Babylon 5 did this right, I'd argue. They had the human characters love a form of humor that the audience wouldn't get, on the basis that of course you wouldn't get it. You're siding with the aliens going :wtc: over zooty-zoot-zoots and stuff.

Though at the same time it punted on most of the rest of culture and just made it the same thing as present-day, with Daffy Duck and sports on TV and reading newspapers and so on. It kind of copped an attitude about it, like "Yeah it's the future, and we still have money and we still use imperial units and use Earth time zones, wanna fight about it? :toughguy:"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Zore posted:

Voyager had 'Photons be free' The Doctor's holonovel.

And the red disc VR game Wesley has to save the day from in TNG :v:

And don't forget Anbo-jyutsu, the ultimate evolution of the martial arts!®

I will never tire of this image.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Did Trek ever show any kind of "modern" (again, for their time) entertainment?

The play Riker is acting in (in Frame of Mind) appears to not be an old play but something we can assume was relatively recent.

Doggles posted:

And don't forget Anbo-jyutsu, the ultimate evolution of the martial arts!®

I will never tire of this image.

Also there's that other Holodeck game that Picard and Guinan play.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Though at the same time it punted on most of the rest of culture and just made it the same thing as present-day, with Daffy Duck and sports on TV and reading newspapers and so on. It kind of copped an attitude about it, like "Yeah it's the future, and we still have money and we still use imperial units and use Earth time zones, wanna fight about it? :toughguy:"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We get a few bits of info about Parrises Squares, too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

We get a few bits of info about Parrises Squares, too.

I know it was intentionally obscured, but part of me really wanted a concrete answer to what the gently caress that game was. Not just to cross ts and dot is, but we got just enough that I never figured out how the crumbs we knew connected together to form a game that folks regularly treated as dangerous.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I know it was intentionally obscured, but part of me really wanted a concrete answer to what the gently caress that game was. Not just to cross ts and dot is, but we got just enough that I never figured out how the crumbs we knew connected together to form a game that folks regularly treated as dangerous.

Just picture it as Future Calvinball.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Hydronium posted:

Did Trek ever show any kind of "modern" (again, for their time) entertainment?

Kazon music/goofy fanfare. Data's original poetry.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They had that Bajoran guy who played the theme song in Quark's once.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

The play Riker is acting in (in Frame of Mind) appears to not be an old play but something we can assume was relatively recent.

Also there's that other Holodeck game that Picard and Guinan play.

If we're counting games, Dabo?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Q Junior threw a dank rave in the engine room

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm listening to that Bobby Lee podcast episode with Margaret Cho because of the Tilda Swinton feud, and one thing I found amusing is how Cho said she once dated Garrett Wang who "played Sulu from The Next Generation".

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 22, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I dropped off some cat food at the no-kill shelter here for their Christmas drive, and I saw the damndest thing.

These cats cannot go back to Cheron, because Cheron was destroyed.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 22, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gonz posted:

I dropped off some cat food at the no-kill shelter here for their Christmas drive, and I saw the damndest thing.

These cats cannot go back to Cheron, because Cheron was destroyed.

Let That Be Your Last Cattlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I want those cats. Those are the best cats since all these cats that look like Hitler that are apparently walking around