Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

80 PSI sounds like a lot of PSI's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

80 PSI sounds like a lot of PSI's

its bar for the course involving big poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cursedshitbox posted:

its bar for the course

Nice

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
This is the closest thing to "information" I can find for 7.50R20 LRG:

So looks like you can go up to 120psi, depending on corner weights.

From here:http://www.sullivantire.com/uploadedFiles/Bridgestone%20Truck%20Data%20Book.pdf

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So, thanks to your videos I now understand what this split rim thing is that's been discussed and I know never to even consider getting anything that uses them. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And my take-away is that each tire is like four hours of hard labor to change, at least. Ridiculous!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

`Nemesis posted:

Videos all work fine for me

Suck it Canada

Only part 4 is blocked, I was just being a dick.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

The Locator posted:

So, thanks to your videos I now understand what this split rim thing is that's been discussed and I know never to even consider getting anything that uses them. :v:

Yea, seriously. Thanks for the videos. Definitely looked like a bitch to film and change the tires.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you weren't drat near done with the thing I'd say you should get a tripod for that phone so you can film quality tire humping.

Those look like a bastard and I'm glad I haven't hosed with mine yet. Is the bolt circle actually 7.25 or is it 8.5 or 8.75 or 9? All the hicks in hotrod forum threads I could find couldn't figure out how to loving operate a tape measure on an even-lug-count wheel and all those numbers were mentioned.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

:rimshot:

You got me worried that I might be running mine too low, but having now checked the Michelin datasheets I've got mine about right. I never realised that 20 inch rims had to run such higher pressure than 16 inch.

If they were 7.50R20 michelin XL's they would be 50-90psi depending on axle load (table)

Just one more left to do now? gently caress yes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
BTW lol to everyone who said i was gonna die since Seattle

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Admittedly, you have cheated death at least once so far.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

Admittedly, you have cheated death at least once so far.

Specifically which time do you mean

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So...I suppose I misunderstood how things work relating to steering. I saw a steering box and imagine that it meant power steering, but apparently it's not the case? All that the steering box is on this truck is a gear box? I guess I always imagined manual steering to be a simple bit of linkage at the base of the column/shaft that manipulated things.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The Jeepferno.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

19 o'clock posted:

So...I suppose I misunderstood how things work relating to steering. I saw a steering box and imagine that it meant power steering, but apparently it's not the case? All that the steering box is on this truck is a gear box? I guess I always imagined manual steering to be a simple bit of linkage at the base of the column/shaft that manipulated things.

still has a gearbox per-se. but the ratio of the gears are different, and the steering wheel diameter is large to net more torque going into the box. There is no external hydraulic assist ram, or plate magic inside the box.

14" can simply remove the pressure regulator on the pump, and loop it back into itself. if he really gave a poo poo he could pull the vanes out, loop the two lines and keep it full of fluid.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

19 o'clock posted:

No, vehicles with non-assisted steering still need mechanical advantage. Really, they need it more than assisted steering, since you're doing it all with upper body strength. So there's probably a worm gear and a sector gear in there.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

19 o'clock posted:

I imagine the steering box on the truck is a recirculating ball steering box, which can be either unpowered or powered. The unpowered steering box on my Toyota Pickup is this style, while the one on my LC is also, but powered.

It's not as good as rack and pinion steering, because the balls go between the rack (sector gear) and the pinion (worm gear) and thusly there is some play, but without power steering, it's probably the better of the two.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 23, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cursedshitbox posted:

if he really gave a poo poo he could pull the vanes out, loop the two lines and keep it full of fluid.

I too, enjoy well-lubricated idler pulleys.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Wow, thanks! Every day is a school day in this thread. Be it the inner workings of manual steering boxes or new permutations of profanity to use going forward.

Also, don't steal my new band name: Permutations of Profanity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love the idea of a recirculating ball steering box.

All those fun little balls just sliding around in there, like those steel ball track toys we used to have when we were kids!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't believe it's a recirculating ball box, probably just a worm gear running a sector shaft that turns the pitman arm. But I could be wrong.

We built one of those super well lubricated idlers for SiF's dad's CJ5 4.0L swap because there was no good belt routing that didn't involve using the power steering pulley. Popped it open, replaced seal and front bearing (not necessary if it's in good shape, but they were loving wasted on the donor), removed all vanes, replaced a few O rings, reassembled. Easy to do on a TC pump, never done it on a P pump, if they are similar I can give a little guidance that will help you avoid mangling the back cover retention ring and/or fracturing the back cover by being a gorilla with a press (learned both of these things the wrong way!) so just ask if you need to.

As for looping the lines, I'm not 100% sure how well that will work out since you're talking about a pump that puts out a ton of pressure and/or flow. The non pressure rated return line will blow the gently caress up if you do this using it, and it may aerate the fluid and gently caress everything up regardless, I dunno. The output fitting on the pump contains a pressure regulator / bypass valve that shunts fluid right back to the reservoir if it's not needed, so it may be possible to either gut that completely or jbweld things in such a way that it recirculates everything right there, or something like that.

http://tc.wagoneer.org/2012/08/saginaw-power-steering-pump-rebuild.html

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

14 BAR RIFF posted:

BTW lol to everyone who said i was gonna die since Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsa62d5Ri4

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I love the idea of a recirculating ball steering box.

All those fun little balls just sliding around in there, like those steel ball track toys we used to have when we were kids!

I'm the ball nut rack

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Specifically which time do you mean

The quail eggs obviously

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Those instructional videos were awesome. One more to go. Stay safe!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My personal favorite was the one labelled part 6 because while none of it was staged or acted I think you can especially hear the mental flat lining

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, I take it the plan of running 4 tires instead of 6 is due to only wanting to gently caress with as few solid rings as possible? If that is the plan, I like it.

I also take it that the fourth and final wheel will in fact, be one of the solid ring ones (due to process of elmination), and as such, has attained Boss status. I imagine it's like level 60-70 and has at least 100khp on each bead alone.

Gird you loins.

E: Also obtain at least one more chain please. One's better than none, but two will probably keep it from jumping over the van when the centre explodes down into the ground and launches it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think my favorite part was you looking at the melted compressor plug and just going "huh"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

So, I take it the plan of running 4 tires instead of 6 is due to only wanting to gently caress with as few solid rings as possible? If that is the plan, I like it.

I also take it that the fourth and final wheel will in fact, be one of the solid ring ones (due to process of elmination), and as such, has attained Boss status. I imagine it's like level 60-70 and has at least 100khp on each bead alone.

Gird you loins.

Actually if you go back and look the first one I did was the solid ring and honestly liked doing it better than the split rings just the split ring rims come off the rubber easier

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

I think my favorite part was you looking at the melted compressor plug and just going "huh"

My father has the same model of compressor, I'm surprised the one 14's using even operates at those temps because the one I use has the pressure-switch freeze and it will refuse to operate until you figure out a way to warm it up. Then, it'll freeze up again every run.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Actually if you go back and look the first one I did was the solid ring and honestly liked doing it better than the split rings just the split ring rims come off the rubber easier

See

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Ah, well, the one time I hosed with a split rim, it was like the non-solid two-pieces you're doing except imagine 100lbs of balast weight bolted to each rim too. My father and I set about taking apart one of the front wheels on his MF304 backhoe because we wanted to replace the tubes on both. We never got the rim off the hub because the manual stated the tire had to come off first or something. Never really got past removing the lockrings either, cleaned what we could, reassembled and clenched really hard during reinflation.

The tires are also ancient, but like industrial 30ply or something.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

This is just great

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want to read 14 Inch's memoirs

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You're basically part of them now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

My personal favorite was the one labelled part 6 because while none of it was staged or acted I think you can especially hear the mental flat lining

My favorite part of all of them was the "huh" given when seeing the toasted prong on the compressor plug.

e:

ExplodingSims posted:

:c00l::respek::coal:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 23, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp its happening a random person in a random car group asked if I was 14 INCH.

OUT YOURSELF

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just wait until the drive home when some rando tries to flag you down/run you off the road just to get out and go "OH MY GOD YOU'RE 14 INCH DICK!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just wait until the drive home when some rando tries to flag you down/run you off the road just to get out and go "OH MY GOD YOU'RE 14 INCH DICK!"

14 INCH and the WAR BRIDE rolled to a stop in a backwoods town of Polk County, the SBC beneath the hood rattling off a frustrated huff of exhaust on throttle lift.

He had done it. Wiping the sweat from his brow and stretching across what was left of the bench seat in a futile attempt to rid himself of the steering-shake tremors that had dogged him all the way to the coast, he took a moment's reverie.

That was when the marching band fired up.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 23, 2016

• Locked thread