Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I like Domjat as a vaguely plausible sort of half baked space pinbilliards.

Also there was that one episode where the alien dude was playing those weird chime things.

Really though, it's fascinating that a (mostly) progressive show set in the future is full to the brim with hopeless nostalgists. Kirk wasn't very cultured, but his philosophy was super old school humanist, Uhura had traditional African art on her wall, Sulu loved fencing, Spock was incredibly knowledgeable about Earth history, Scotty loved his old Scotch, and Checkov was always talking about great old "Russian" inventions. Weirdly, the most modern person in the original series might have been McCoy with his disco medallion and utter disdain for obsolete medical practices.

TNG was even worse with Picard loving Shakespeare, classical music, plays a film Noire holodeck game and is super into a blend of tea that was really popular a hundred years ago. Worf is a master of an outdated bladed weapon and listens to old operas. Riker is a modern man that likes 400 year old jazz. Crusher tap dances. Data loves Sherlock Holmes. Really, Geordie and Barclay's holodeck addiction might make them the most normal people on a ship full of throwbacks, and even then we still got that Three Musketeers poo poo.

Julian and Miles holodeck programs were all historical.

And of course, Voyager had a main character obsessed with 20th century tech, and another who loved Da Vinci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let That Be Your Last Cattlefield.

No no, I can see how you got confused because of the black and white pattern, but their cats, not cows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gonz posted:

I dropped off some cat food at the no-kill shelter here for their Christmas drive, and I saw the damndest thing.

These cats cannot go back to Cheron, because Cheron was destroyed.

You gave them a good home for Christmas, right? :ohdearsass:

So Jeffrey Combs (or 'Jeff Combs' as they put it) is going to appear at a convention here in the UK next year and this is the photo they use for him:

:wtc:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, almost every "rule of threes" moment across Star Trek has two things the audience would be familiar with and one fictional sci-fi future thing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

When did Romulans get their really pronounced forehead ridges? I guess TNG. I really prefer them looking much closer to Vulcans.

Really though I just prefer this:

I find it a little odd in TOS that the Romulans as a culture are more fleshed out than the Klingons. In the first series, the Klingons are space Soviets.

And then, in TNG onward, they completely forget TOS Romulans, and make them the space Soviets.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I find it a little odd in TOS that the Romulans as a culture are more fleshed out than the Klingons. In the first series, the Klingons are space Soviets.

And then, in TNG onward, they completely forget TOS Romulans, and make them the space Soviets.

I guess having a Klingon in the cast made the writers go gaga over the race but everything was just rarrgh angry warriors duty and honor, one of the best Klingon episodes is "A Matter of Honor" (:ironicat:) since Riker gets to hang out with some and we get to see them being regular people instead of frat boys at a Viking LARP. "Face of the Enemy" is the best Romulan episode by the same token, though of course it has a much different tone.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let That Be Your Last Cattlefield.

:wow: but with a cat that says MEOW

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The_Doctor posted:

You gave them a good home for Christmas, right? :ohdearsass:

Alas, no. I just recently had to put down one my cats after 12+ years due to dementia, and my surviving cat (going on 13) does not like other animals at all (except for my other cat; they grew up together since they were 3 months old).

However, these cats pictured were a bonded pair, so one can't be adopted without the other. They'll almost certainly be adopted before the end of the year. The adoption rate at this shelter is insane.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pakled posted:

Also, almost every "rule of threes" moment across Star Trek has two things the audience would be familiar with and one fictional sci-fi future thing.

Yea, they're always "Great Scientists like Baalsax of Bolios, Grunk of house Bij, Marie Curie..."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I get why it's done and all, but as a piece of dialogue it always feels super weird to have characters name events and places that are several hundred years old. Like, if you asked me to start listing off famous world leaders I'd end up naming a lot of 20th and 21st century leaders before I got back to names like Lincoln, Napoleon, or Henry VIII. It also seems kind of pointless since there's always some explicit context provided anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Lots of records were destroyed during WW3 and the Post-Atomic Horrors.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WickedHate posted:

After getting rid of all the lawyers, they got rid of all forms of entertainment popular beyond 1965.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gonz posted:

I dropped off some cat food at the no-kill shelter here for their Christmas drive, and I saw the damndest thing.

I always liked this cat picture as an instant LTBYLB callback:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, Babylon 5 did this right, I'd argue. They had the human characters love a form of humor that the audience wouldn't get, on the basis that of course you wouldn't get it. You're siding with the aliens going :wtc: over zooty-zoot-zoots and stuff.

That was all of like one episode (and one or two fleeting references in another episode or two) though.

And, come on, B5 was just as guilty of using old 20th century stuff for filler. Aside from the Daffy Duck stuff, remember when they got Earhart's, the bar that plays nothing but big band swing music?

WampaLord posted:

Also there's that other Holodeck game that Picard and Guinan play.

If you're referring to the phaser "game", I'm pretty sure that's just the ship's shooting range, I don't think that's necessarily a holodeck.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

This is pretty plausible; in First Contact didn't they say most of the major cities destroyed? Add a couple of well-placed EMPs, and you're talking most of the technological infrastructure wiped out, including most anything on magnetic storage. Paper and film stock would be fine, but archaeologically speaking once you get to around the 1990s everything would start getting really spotty in terms of permanence.

Then in the aftermath say a fetishization of things archaic occurs, and you're all set.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Duckbag posted:

I like Domjat as a vaguely plausible sort of half baked space pinbilliards.

Also there was that one episode where the alien dude was playing those weird chime things.

Really though, it's fascinating that a (mostly) progressive show set in the future is full to the brim with hopeless nostalgists. Kirk wasn't very cultured, but his philosophy was super old school humanist, Uhura had traditional African art on her wall, Sulu loved fencing, Spock was incredibly knowledgeable about Earth history, Scotty loved his old Scotch, and Checkov was always talking about great old "Russian" inventions. Weirdly, the most modern person in the original series might have been McCoy with his disco medallion and utter disdain for obsolete medical practices.

TNG was even worse with Picard loving Shakespeare, classical music, plays a film Noire holodeck game and is super into a blend of tea that was really popular a hundred years ago. Worf is a master of an outdated bladed weapon and listens to old operas. Riker is a modern man that likes 400 year old jazz. Crusher tap dances. Data loves Sherlock Holmes. Really, Geordie and Barclay's holodeck addiction might make them the most normal people on a ship full of throwbacks, and even then we still got that Three Musketeers poo poo.

Julian and Miles holodeck programs were all historical.

And of course, Voyager had a main character obsessed with 20th century tech, and another who loved Da Vinci.

We did finally get Pareses Squares on screen as some sort of full contact doubles future racquetball in DS9.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dom-jot is like bumper pool TO THE DEATH

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Humon play dom-jot.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Arglebargle III posted:

We did finally get Pareses Squares on screen as some sort of full contact doubles future racquetball in DS9.
That wasn't parrises squares, that was just racquetball.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mystic pimp posted:

That wasn't parrises squares, that was just racquetball.

How dare you!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Sort of related, but I really do not like the whole thing on Trek where they always reference a Tarkalian sheep instead of a dang sheep.

It's always in comparison to a physical or personal trait, and it would just as easily work with an Earth animal when spoken by a human.

Pedantic, sure, but it's ok for Ira Graves to feel strong as an ox, rather than a Rigellian ox. We get it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheBigAristotle posted:

Sort of related, but I really do not like the whole thing on Trek where they always reference a Tarkalian sheep instead of a dang sheep.

It's always in comparison to a physical or personal trait, and it would just as easily work with an Earth animal when spoken by a human.

Pedantic, sure, but it's ok for Ira Graves to feel strong as an ox, rather than a Rigellian ox. We get it.

Listen, don't get your mynocks in a... sarlacc.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Listen, don't get your mynocks in a... sarlacc.

I won't. I'll be as quiet as a Zyznian church mouse.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wanna know what a Denebian slime devil is.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

It's like a slime devil, only from Deneb. Probably more slimy and/or devilly than the regular slime devils we know and love.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It's like a slime devil, only from Deneb. Probably more slimy and/or devilly than the regular slime devils we know and love.

Can slime devils have fiddle showdowns for the souls of other Denebians?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

David Gerrold is active on Facebook, you could try asking him.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pakled posted:

Here's a picture! There were better illustrations in a couple of RPG sourcebooks, but this is in-show canon.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Denebian_slime_devil

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, the "two things familiar, one thing alien" trope is ridiculous, but it's just so established in Trek at this point that I can't help but love it. I like to think of it as the Earthican equivalent of a lot of current "world" history where they do all the classic eurocentrism, but add in a little section at the end of the chapter about a minority group or nonwestern culture as a nod to multiculturalism. You know, like how a discussion of WWI might be 90% about Europeans fighting in Europe, but have a little fig leaf at the end about colonial troops or the Asian and African theaters.

Basically, most of the humans on Star Trek are super Earthcentric, but always try to mention an alien in there somewhere so as not to sound spacist.

As for when aliens do the same thing, I really can't explain that. Maybe they're Earthaboos?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The only Human-centric thing that annoys me is that every race they meet Klingons/Vulcans/Jem Hadar are supposed to be 3-5 times stronger then humans but the humans always kick their rear end in hand-to-hand combat with their double handed spergfu.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

socialsecurity posted:

The only Human-centric thing that annoys me is that every race they meet Klingons/Vulcans/Jem Hadar are supposed to be 3-5 times stronger then humans but the humans always kick their rear end in hand-to-hand combat with their double handed spergfu.

Only named characters kick Klingon rear end, redshirts go down as easily as toddlers.

I'm gratified when random security guy gives a good account of himself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Those other races are physically overpowering, but they rely pathetically upon merely single-fist techniques. By using twice the amount of fists per blow, we humans are able to channel our moral superiority to crush the lesser races.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In enterprise they reference dogs on other planets quite a few times. Some alien mentions on its world canines are a delicacy. Not "oh we have a mammal similar to your earth-dog on our world" it's just straight up dogs. I guess that race that seeded the galaxy with humanoid DNA knew they'd need best friends so also seeded it with dog DNA except with much less divergence so there's just the earth dogs on every planet. Sometimes the earth dog has a horn and is wearing little Dog PJ's though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Those other races are physically overpowering, but they rely pathetically upon merely single-fist techniques. By using twice the amount of fists per blow, we humans are able to channel our moral superiority to crush the lesser races.

Well, can't argue with that logic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they import Earth dogs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They should slip in a reference to an Earth dog at some point. "It came at us like an Earth rhinoceros!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Earth dogs are greasy.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I think that's mostly just Odo, who has some kind of anti-Earthican animal racism going on. Yeah okay Odo we get it you're only gonna turn into a Tarkalian hawk, but you're okay with morphing your skin into a tuxedo? I think we all know what that means.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I think this is supposed to represent superior skill and training (though when all these Captains had time for advanced martial arts training is unclear), but Trek fight choreography has basically never been good enough to really represent that. The Federation hammer is really the penultimate evolution of the martial arts (after Anbo-jiutsu) and just <i>looks</i> like something an 8-year-old would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gonz posted:

I dunno, I get more of a Dr Thomas Leighton vibe... (Conscience of the King, TOS)

"... and the bloody thing he did !!"