Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

lol that money isnt for him and he isnt entitled to a single measly dollar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Remember the same story before but the genders reversed? He dumped her when he realized she wanted his money even though he was happy to live a simple life. Money changes how people treat you and I wouldn't tell people if I was loaded either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You don't even need to be in the range of 4mil, these days just having decent savings will get a certain kind of person salivating.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why would you live in poverty if you could just not live in poverty :psyduck: What the hell is wrong with her

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Remember the same story before but the genders reversed? He dumped her when he realized she wanted his money even though he was happy to live a simple life. Money changes how people treat you and I wouldn't tell people if I was loaded either.

There's a pretty solid line between a simple life and "I can afford hot water but I'm not going to"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Why would you live in poverty if you could just not live in poverty :psyduck: What the hell is wrong with her

There's a pretty solid line between a simple life and "I can afford hot water but I'm not going to"

Because it disappears quick, and in all likelihood she didn't earn it so why should she spend it? It's a safety net from your predecessors, it's not a loving target gift card.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

you don't know any details about this person's finances except from the perspective of a different person who sounds like they would gently caress a pile of cash. it is very likely the money is in a trust, meaning it doesn't belong to her yet

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Danaru posted:

Judging by the boyfriends reaction of how nice it'd be for him to marry rich I wouldn't have told him either. And yeah it can go fast, not saying she isn't being a miser but I can understand

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

you don't know any details about this person's finances except from the perspective of a different person who sounds like they would gently caress a pile of cash. it is very likely the money is in a trust, meaning it doesn't belong to her yet

1. His admitted response makes it clear why she probably would want to live simply right now
2. Most people I know have trusts that open progressively, often a bit at 18, a bit at 26 or so, 30, 35, etc. because the story of a kid getting 6 mil and wasting it before they're 24 is so incredibly common because it is extremely, shockingly easy to do

For example, if you're getting a new pair of designer shoes every week, that alone is easily a $30K/yr habit. If you were only given $300,000, that's only ten years worth of extravagent shoe behavior and nothing else.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 23, 2016

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

I have a client who insists on only eating prawns and pickled onions, mashed together and microwaved. She omits a strange odour at all times.

Is she single

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo I'd be furious if my girl was sitting on a couple mil and I was slaving away at a lovely job and showering with no hot water. I wouldn't loving marry her.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

2. Most people I know have trusts that open progressively, often a bit at 18, a bit at 26 or so, 30, 35, etc. because the story of a kid getting 6 mil and wasting it before they're 24 is so incredibly common because it is extremely, shockingly easy to do

and not just pissing the money away on jewelry and drugs, growing up rich fucks up your expectations of what real life is like for most people. someone who was self-made and came up from a lower income to being very rich would have a deep interest in making sure their kids had a similar experience. like give your kids the best education you can, their healthcare is paid for, but if they have to work for a living and live in a crummy apartment with no hot water, well, many people live like that and it's good to experience these sorts of things in life versus being pampered from birth till death

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Holy poo poo I'd be furious if my girl was sitting on a couple mil and I was slaving away at a lovely job and showering with no hot water. I wouldn't loving marry her.

you're not entitled to someone else's money until/unless you're married and in a binding legal and financial partnership :shrug:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol that money isnt for you and you aren't entitled to a single measly dollar

I like to imagine him proposing, and then the massive look of disappointment when she refuses to put money in a joint account and forces him to sign a pre-nup.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of the stingiest people I know are rich people who weren't always rich, and their kids tend to turn out one of two ways: big spenders or major cheapskates. Parents scheme hard to get the latter and not the former, because there's no amount of money so great the average person can't blow through it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

I like to imagine him proposing, and then the massive look of disappointment when she refuses to put money in a joint account and forces him to sign a pre-nup.

Which she will, because rich people generally do pre-nups even if their partner is also rich. This kid is loving dumb.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

boner confessor posted:

and not just pissing the money away on jewelry and drugs, growing up rich fucks up your expectations of what real life is like for most people. someone who was self-made and came up from a lower income to being very rich would have a deep interest in making sure their kids had a similar experience. like give your kids the best education you can, their healthcare is paid for, but if they have to work for a living and live in a crummy apartment with no hot water, well, many people live like that and it's good to experience these sorts of things in life versus being pampered from birth till death

:agreed:

A lot of rich kids would probably grow up into better people if they knew what it was like to have almost nothing and have to work lovely jobs just to make ends meet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:agreed:

A lot of rich kids would probably grow up into better people if they knew what it was like to have almost nothing and have to work lovely jobs just to make ends meet.

:ssh: a fair number of rich kids do exactly this and you wouldn't know they were rich until they told you (or you snooped through their financial documents)

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I have met too many fuerdai scum who would benefit from working a McJob for a few years instead of pissing away mainland dad's cash on beamers

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
We haven't even touched on he fact that he went through and read her mail. That's hosed up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And now he's going to fast-track that proposal so she doesn't get away, specifically because she has money :shepface:

turns out it was misdelivered, it was for her neighbor with the same name, Emily Smith. his gf is actually poor as poo poo. im sure he still loves her tho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's some table stakes poo poo around here.

E opening mail, I mean

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

everyone above and below my exact socioeconomic status is a twat

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Exactly what advice is this guy looking for here? Of course most of these are fake, but this one seems like either he's just bragging or informing random internet strangers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whorelord posted:

everyone above and below my exact socioeconomic status is a twat

it's true

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wonder what personality trait it is that separates people who flip their poo poo over large amounts of money versus remaining mostly sane.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It wouldn't even be about the money for me, it would be about the lying. Nine months of pretending she's broke too without just simply explaining why shes doing it (trust fund issues, Uncle Phil wants her to learn the value of a dollar, hell even just 'I want to save it' would be lovely but fair) but then also I can understand her lying to this guy because he's clearly open to biffing her to the wolves for her money.

Of course the whole thing is moot because lmao

Pick posted:

turns out it was misdelivered, it was for her neighbor with the same name, Emily Smith. his gf is actually poor as poo poo. im sure he still loves her tho

She should sever because hoo boy his priorities are pretty clear now he barely thought twice before getting ready to marry into that cash

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

ikanreed posted:

I wonder what personality trait it is that separates people who flip their poo poo over large amounts of money versus remaining mostly sane.

How much of an rear end in a top hat that person is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you think he ever volunteered his own financial strategy to her? It's not clear that she's lying as much as just not bringing it up. It's not at all impossible that she's had bad experiences with revealing her wealth to boyfriends. How long have they been together, like 9 months?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

ikanreed posted:

Self-love and not relying on external stimuli and other people for happiness are good starts towards not flipping out over money. If you buy a nice thing or pursue a relationship because you want to enjoy it, instead of needing to enjoy it, it's a lot easier to control your spending. That would only be one part, I guess.

For me personally, I don't really crave power or status, so I'm not interested in that aspect of wealth. I'm not going to buy a big house if I don't need the room, and I'm not really into sports cars so I'd just enhance a beater car. I'd have the hardest time not spending all of my money on my friends and family and charity. The best option would be to set up a trust for myself and have some sort of money dude to oversee and advise on major expenditures (like paying off a friend's house or school loans) and manage investments, etc.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Imagine being proposed too and then him trying to casually bring up that he's looking forward to living more comfortably

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pvt.Scott posted:

The best option would be to set up a trust for myself and have some sort of money dude to oversee and advise on major expenditures (like paying off a friend's house or school loans) and manage investments, etc.

You don't even need a trust, just having to go ask the money dude to transfer $50K so you can renovate or make a donation slows things down helpfully. "Yep, no problem sir. That will take your retirement income projection from X to Y, can you confirm that's OK?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

Mathematical aptitude and foresight

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Do you think he ever volunteered his own financial strategy to her? It's not clear that she's lying as much as just not bringing it up. It's not at all impossible that she's had bad experiences with revealing her wealth to boyfriends. How long have they been together, like 9 months?

like the first line in the op is they were talking about the possibility of kids and he doesn't want them because he doesn't feel like he has the financial stability to support them at the moment. I dunno I mean I'm kind of mixed on this like I was last time when the genders were swapped, usually when I'm in a serious relationship with someone and they're strapped for cash I pick up a bit of the slack and that feels normal, otoh I can understand why the significantly wealthier person wouldn't want that aspect of the their life to bleed into their personal relationships when they're just looking to find someone who likes them for who they are.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Dude obviously sounds like he's thirsty as gently caress for a free ride but at the same time if I found out my partner was lying to me as a test to see if I was a mooch I'd be pretty insulted when it came to light.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Insulted enough to walk away from a life of idle luxury?!?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Dude obviously sounds like he's thirsty as gently caress for a free ride but at the same time if I found out my partner was lying to me as a test to see if I was a mooch I'd be pretty insulted when it came to light.

You just saw evidence of why it's prudent

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ArbitraryC posted:

Its not lying. Its not mentioning something that is really none of his business.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

You just saw evidence of why it's prudent

Yeah I'm not saying it's not prudent but it's prudent in the same way asking for a paternity test when you find out your wife is pregnant is. When you're right you're right but when you're wrong it's just insulting.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pick posted:

Because it disappears quick, and in all likelihood she didn't earn it so why should she spend it? It's a safety net from your predecessors, it's not a loving target gift card.

There's a difference between not spending your money on frivolous poo poo and refusing to pay for simple stuff like loving hot water when you are a literal millionaire. She's an insane miser hoarding money for no reason, except she isn't because she's a shitbird buying multiple houses in a country with a housing shortage.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

There's a difference between not spending your money on frivolous poo poo and refusing to pay for simple stuff like loving hot water when you are a literal millionaire. She's an insane miser hoarding money for no reason, except she isn't because she's a shitbird buying multiple houses in a country with a housing shortage.

yeah it's really implausible that a 25 year old woman is wealthy enough to personally own multiple expensive houses yet chooses to live in a crap apartment in near poverty while working a part time job. it's far more likely that the money isn't hers (yet) and the mail-opening boyfriend doesn't know what a trust is or just had his eyes pop when he saw his girlfriend was worth seven figures on paper

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I dated a trust fund guy for a while and I only slowly pieced it together that's what his deal was, and somehow the biggest tip off was his Magic card collection despite him never having a job.

Baron Corbyn posted:

You know you can rent out houses to people who can't otherwise afford to buy them?
Did you know houses and the rental income can be part of a trust?

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 23, 2016