Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kas posted:

Gross!

Serperoth: I have no idea how to set up templates for magic set editor, sorry. I just have my photoshop templates..

Looks great! Truly Phyrexian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Star Man posted:

And a Player Rewards promo. Remember those?

forget standard show down packs, just bring back player reward promos. The more I play, the more WotC will send me stuff in the mail. Did they get rid of this because of cost? Then add masterpiece inserts and showdown packs, aren't those just sunk costs?

edt. I don't know what it cost, but I played in Arena League in high school and still have my Arena Lands.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

kas posted:

I was making some proxies for my cube and thought I'd try to go a little fancy instead of just using magic set editor this time, and tried remaking the m15 frames with the old border art assets. I think it turned out really good and wanted to share the test cards here. :)

I feel like vanguard cards were the precursors to modern planeswalker cards, and wanted to do something with that too, hence the hybrid old frame/vanguard planeswalkers.

Those look great, what type of paper are you going to print on for the cube? I am working on some photoshop frames to change a bunch of older cards to all match but can't find a good paper to make them with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

No Luck Needed posted:

forget standard show down packs, just bring back player reward promos. The more I play, the more WotC will send me stuff in the mail. Did they get rid of this because of cost? Then add masterpiece inserts and showdown packs, aren't those just sunk costs?

edt. I don't know what it cost, but I played in Arena League in high school and still have my Arena Lands.

The cost of postage was too much is what I've heard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Whether it will actually matter largely revolves around WOTC's competence in not breaking a cost reduction ability.

So for what minimum value of N is an sorcery draw-three with a mana cost of NU and Improvise not broken in modern or legacy? And did wizards figure out the answer correctly? Tune in next month to find out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

The cost of postage was too much is what I've heard.

Are they shipping these cards inside bricks or something?

Entropic posted:

So for what minimum value of N is an sorcery draw-three with a mana cost of NU and Improvise not broken in modern or legacy? And did wizards figure out the answer correctly? Tune in next month to find out.

Make it UU to start and it probably probably be fine.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

Are they shipping these cards inside bricks or something?

even at bulk rate, when you're sending stuff out in quantities of tens or hundreds of thousands, it adds up. Postage was probably way way more than the cost of printing the cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

even at bulk rate, when you're sending stuff out in quantities of tens or hundreds of thousands, it adds up. Postage was probably way way more than the cost of printing the cards.

If only the internet could think of a solution? I dunno, what if players could pay for the shipping themselves? You know, like a virtual store you could use points to buy promos through but just pay the shipping. We could call these points "planeswalker points" and we could give them out at events to reward participation and make you feel like part of a community.

Terrible idea.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sickening posted:

If only the internet could think of a solution? I dunno, what if players could pay for the shipping themselves? You know, like a virtual store you could use points to buy promos through but just pay the shipping. We could call these points "planeswalker points" and we could give them out at events to reward participation and make you feel like part of a community.

Terrible idea.

skip the middleman, they're already paying to ship packs, why not replace pack inserts with them

or even better, front side phyrexian language elesh norn, back side magic duels advert :getin:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
ship your player reward cards alongside the boxes of the new set to your LGS, pick them up there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Molybdenum posted:

ship your player reward cards alongside the boxes of the new set to your LGS, pick them up there.

WOTC doesn't sell stuff to your LGS directly unless your LGS is SCG.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Like 90% of the posts about what Wizards could do are basically "If there were only some way for Wizards to adapt to technology made in the last 22 years."

Kind of a bad sign.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'd even forgive them if they went back to the old cardstock and ink, it smelled so nice! I opened a Roar of the Wurm in Eternal Masters that was inked extra heavily and smelled like a goddamn oil spill. :barf:

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

TwistedNails posted:

Those look great, what type of paper are you going to print on for the cube? I am working on some photoshop frames to change a bunch of older cards to all match but can't find a good paper to make them with.

I usually use printer paper at a print shop with a colour laser printer, that usually makes them glossy enough and then I sleeve them over top lands. Regular cards can be sleeved with truefit sleeves before sleeving to get a similar thickness between both types.

if you wanted to, you'd likely be fine inkjet printing them on an appropriate thickness demigloss cardstock, with the caveat that printing on gloss darkens the images considerably, so you'd want to lighten your images by probably 10-15% before printing so they look slightly washed out in your preview.

For people asking for templates, they're not really complete yet, for example I don't have any land boxes made that aren't u/g, but I could toss up a few blank pngs of the frames after work, or take a couple requests if they're simple things.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Every time Maro is asked about the dropping of control elements from the game he immediately rushes to equate it with all-counterspell Draw-go decks, regardless of what the person talking to him was actually talking about. It's kind of lovely.
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/154751683168/what-do-you-say-to-the-people-who-feel-that-their

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh my god. Opponent in cube just had a Glen Elendra Archmage out and let me resolve a tinker. I was dead next turn otherwise.

Never scoop!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

odiv posted:

Oh my god. Opponent in cube just had a Glen Elendra Archmage out and let me resolve a tinker. I was dead next turn otherwise.

Never scoop!

Well that's just normal play. You don't counter the tutor, you counter what they get, right?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Hellsau posted:

Well that's just normal play. You don't counter the tutor, you counter what they get, right?

it gets put on the battlefield

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

uggy posted:

it gets put on the battlefield

I suspect that Odiv's opponent didn't know that.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

ZeroCount posted:

Every time Maro is asked about the dropping of control elements from the game he immediately rushes to equate it with all-counterspell Draw-go decks, regardless of what the person talking to him was actually talking about. It's kind of lovely.
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/154751683168/what-do-you-say-to-the-people-who-feel-that-their

Someone should take the old Randy Buehler Draw-Go deck that MaRo fears re-creating so much and run it against a bunch of current Standard decks. I'd be surprised if it's more than 50% against almost any of them to be honest ...

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mattah posted:

Someone should take the old Randy Buehler Draw-Go deck that MaRo fears re-creating so much and run it against a bunch of current Standard decks. I'd be surprised if it's more than 50% against almost any of them to be honest ...

I think there is a series on Youtube called Historial Standard where Randy takes old standard decks and clashes them with things that are or were recently legal.

I just watched him play CAWBlade and smash the gently caress out of what I think was either Khans Abzan Control or the UB Faeries deck a few days back

It's a cool idea for content

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Back during original Ravnica we had Remand / spell snare in a deck with the tron lands and Wildfire (land destruction), so good control. During this same time Zoo was a viable threat, some Kamigawa based combo deck with Maga Traitor of Mortals, Magnivore land destruction, and the format was amazing.
I have no idea what Maro is talking about that control ruins the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
How soon people forget U/W Elixir Control.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

You're right, that terrifying monstrosity that was an unreasonable and overwhelming 4% of the metagame.

E: Abzan was 29% of KTK/THS and WU comprises 31% of recent KLD/SOI/BFZ tournaments, for comparison.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

why would i forget the best deck ever, excepting eggs of course

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

AlternateNu posted:

Is this post sarcastic? Hard to say because almost immediately after its pro tour victory people rushed to create the illusion it dominated the meta game.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AlternateNu posted:

This was probably the best deck ever and Ivan Floch owns.

I've watched the top 8 of the M15 at least 5 times

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love when control decks win the pro tour because they immediately get picked up by scrubs who don't know how to play them properly and get mad when you beat them at FNM.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Even better when a rogue deck wins big because of a statistical fluke or an excellent meta call and a bunch of chumps take that same deck to the next tourney and splatter against Round 1 like flies against a windshield.
Remember Sphinx's Tutelage?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

ZeroCount posted:

Mark Rosewater, Expert Lead Designer of Magic posted:

We just haven’t allowed Draw, Go decks that do nothing but counter spells to be good.

This is like what someone who just learned the game says when their first pet card brew doesn't turn out well at FNM.

e:

Also lol @ the responses to this that basically just say "well [control deck or decks] exist/existed, people just like to complain" every control deck in modern and standard that has appeared over the last year or two became bad once people knew what they were and what to look for. Even Shota Yasooka said that his pro-tour winning control deck was terrible and that no one should play it.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 23, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ZeroCount posted:

Even better when a rogue deck wins big because of a statistical fluke or an excellent meta call and a bunch of chumps take that same deck to the next tourney and splatter against Round 1 like flies against a windshield.
Remember Sphinx's Tutelage?

Also didn't Majors only win w/this deck because he forgot his so someone lent it to him at the very last minute

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

ZeroCount posted:

Questions on Maro's blog tend to be in response to answers to previous questions, and this whole Control line of questions started with talking about Draw-go and a bunch of people confusing RTR standard as having a Draw-go deck and whatnot.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Questions on Maro's blog tend to be in response to answers to previous questions, and this whole Control line of questions started with talking about Draw-go and a bunch of people confusing RTR standard as having a Draw-go deck and whatnot.

That or his answers trail off into stories about Roseanne.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's favorite 5 mana creature? Mine is Thrashing Wumpus. Won three FNMs in a row with that bad boy back in the day.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Smashing Link posted:

What's everyone's favorite 5 mana creature? Mine is Thrashing Wumpus. Won three FNMs in a row with that bad boy back in the day.

Spiritmonger is clearly the answer to this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Smashing Link posted:

Rune-Scarred Demon cast with Heartless Summoning in play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If your answer isn't Arc-Slogger you are wrong

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

A Tarmogoyf being targeted by Mana Leak.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Iizuka the Ruthless

get wrecked nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Lark, although that might be a 6 drop.

• Locked thread