Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tomtrek posted:

Looks like Star Wars: Rogue One has replaced its composer: Alexandre Desplat is out and Michael Giacchino is replacing him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

Ladies and gentlemen, start your pun engines for those upcoming track titles:
I Did It All For The Wookie
Starry Knight
Saber? I Hardly Knew Her!
Dark Side Of The That's No Moon
Rebel et la Bait
To Jedi For
Rook Your Bodhi
That's So K-2S0
Seeing Gerrara
Bailing Out Organa
Bonne Mothma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Always thought this action scene had memorable soundtrack with a bonus of being diagetic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y

Electromax fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 16, 2016

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Tomtrek posted:

Looks like Star Wars: Rogue One has replaced its composer: Alexandre Desplat is out and Michael Giacchino is replacing him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

I'm sure Giacchino will do a really good job, but I wonder if he's going to be bringing something that's closer to John Williams' work than Desplat would have.

Just when I thought my hype meter for Rogue One couldn't go any higher. :neckbeard:

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Mierenneuker posted:

Starry Knight
Rebel et la Bait
To Jedi For
Rook Your Bodhi
That's So K-2S0
Seeing Gerrara
Bailing Out Organa
Bonne Mothma

It wouldn't surprise me if he already has a folder full of Star Wars puns that he's thought of over the years, waiting just for this moment.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Mierenneuker posted:

Starry Knight
Rebel et la Bait
To Jedi For
Rook Your Bodhi
That's So K-2S0
Seeing Gerrara
Bailing Out Organa
Bonne Mothma

Jyn and Tonic
The Mothma Prophecies
Just Me and U-Wing
Imperial Measurements
Yavin A Good Time

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hey Now, You're a Death Star

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Every Frame A Painting made a pretty interesting video about scores (or lack thereof) in the Marvel movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

This should really be in the OP, it's that good. Even though I can't be mad at Mad Max, one of my favorite soundtracks lately (and I would say quite a loving memorable one).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'm a big fan of Abel Korzeniowski overall but particularly his more emotional music. I don't know any other way to describe it other than a hyper emotionality that *almost* borders on being overwrought. Prime examples:

Charms

Come, Gentle Night

Forbidden Love

Song for the Little Sparrow

Is this type of sound uniquely Korzeniowski or are others doing similar things? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that his Polish contemporaries were doing things in this same vein but can't find the article. Maybe it's not that unique and I'm just uninformed but I can't remember hearing anything like the above until I discovered Korzeniowski and if there's more, I'd love to hear it. One of the closest themes I can think of is Desplat's main theme from New Moon which is dialed way down from Korzeniowski.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, he's great. His score for A Single Man is my favorite of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmfvq6x_ac

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

Just when I thought my hype meter for Rogue One couldn't go any higher. :neckbeard:

Desplat is slightly better at building on Williams (Harry Potter) than Giacchino (Jurassic Park). It's basically a lateral move with a tiny step down.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

Darko posted:

Desplat is slightly better at building on Williams (Harry Potter) than Giacchino (Jurassic Park). It's basically a lateral move with a tiny step down.

Even if Giacchino didn't use a single cue of Williams, I still think his potential for any Star Wars score is off the charts. The guy can do big, bombastic, thematic, memorable, hummable, space opera scores. You could almost take some of his work from John Carter or Jupiter Ascending and stick it straight into a Star Wars movie already.

Random hope for Rogue One music: I hope the Imperial motif from A New Hope, the Empire's theme before the Imperial March took over in The Empire Strikes Back, makes a return appearance and is worked into a more full theme with variations. Sure, let the Imperial March show up once Vader is on the scene, but for the rest of the movie, the Imperial motif would make much more sense and would tie together with A New Hope really well.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I didn't care much for The Magnificent Seven remake and most of it's score, but I really liked this piece of music. It's the perfect soundtrack for impending Wild West violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmBOExUbZS8

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm932Sqwf5E
This isn't a film soundtrack but it sounds like one and you'll probably enjoy it anyways. And we're between Hans Zimmer albums so...

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A preview of Abel Korzeniowski's new score for Nocturnal Animals is out. It's lush and gorgeous Korzeniowski on full display. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score and maybe see the movie.

I swear I listen to more than just Abel's movie/TV scores. :ohdear:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

A preview of Abel Korzeniowski's new score for Nocturnal Animals is out. It's lush and gorgeous Korzeniowski on full display. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score and maybe see the movie.

I swear I listen to more than just Abel's movie/TV scores. :ohdear:

Certainly sounds very Korzeniowski, which is a good thing. Using this opportunity to remind everyone that "A Single Man" is a fantastic film and Korzeniowski's score for it is loving gorgeous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmfvq6x_ac

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So, Zimmer's "Inferno". Gotta say I might prefer it to the other two scores. It's considerably more electronic with the odd orchestral bit, particularly with strings repeating the "Sangreal" theme dotted here and there with the typical Zimmer thematic explosion at the end. It's a pretty busy score with tons of variation. The DaVinci Code's score had some nice highlights but for the most part it was forgettable, Angels & Demons had substance but no real core to tie the music together, and this one kind of has it all.

I'd say Inferno is worth a listen since there's enough in it to find something to like.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Hanz Zimmer is going to be playing a concert in my city next year, already have my tickets booked!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

GoldStandardConure posted:

Hanz Zimmer is going to be playing a concert in my city next year, already have my tickets booked!

My girlfriend unexpectedly bought tickets to this so we will be going to one near our city.

Hurray.

I really enjoy the Star Trek main theme on the Star Trek Beyond soundtrack. It takes Enterprising Young Men and expands it out to its satisfying thematic conclusion.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've watched a few of his performances on Youtube and it looks like great fun. I really wish he came anywhere near my part of my world so I could go see the show. :(

Man, the Beyond theme is nearly identical to the Into Darkness version but it seems to be in much more of a rush to get to the end which I'm not sure works as well. The Into Darkness version is great. Such a nice and memorable theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHyt_I1rFc

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cross-posting (heh) from the SW spoiler thread:

Cross-Section posted:

Tracklist for the R1 soundtrack; sadly, Giacchino was only able to sneak 1 or 2 puns in:

quote:

1. He's Here For Us
2. A Long Ride Ahead
3. Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
4. Trust Goes Both Ways
5. When Has Become Now
6. Jedha Arrival
7. Jedha City Ambush
8. Star-Dust
9. Confrontation on Eadu
10. Krennic's Aspirations
11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope
12. Rogue One
13. Cargo Shuttle SW-0608
14. Scrambling the Rebel Fleet
15. AT-ACT Assault
16. The Master Switch
17. Your Father Would Be Proud
18. Hope
19. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite
20. The Imperial Suite
21. Guardians of the Whills Suite

Originated from here though they have since taken the tracklist down.

Guessing that this means no traditional Star Wars end credits music either, but that's not entirely surprising since they've done away with the crawl. Really curious as what Giacchino does with The Imperial Suite.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw The Magnificent Seven and while the movie was an enjoyable romp, the score almost pissed me off. It was so goddamn generic and didn't go along with the film that devolved into complete western cliched farce (in the best way) towards the end. And that goddamn Horner motif. Even from beyond the grave, I swear. Sucks that he's gone but a part of me is glad I'll never have to watch a movie and hear those horns again.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

They released the Westworld soundtrack, by Ramin Djawadi, it's streaming on Spotify if anyone's interested.

I probably wouldn't be nearly as interested if not for the piano covers of Paint it Black and Black Hole Sun, but it's pretty good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

They released the Westworld soundtrack, by Ramin Djawadi, it's streaming on Spotify if anyone's interested.

I probably wouldn't be nearly as interested if not for the piano covers of Paint it Black and Black Hole Sun, but it's pretty good.

I'm not familiar with any of these and only limitedly with Djawadi's other work, but I'll always remember his weird score to the (honestly great and) very underrated Kevin Costner thriller, "Mr. Brooks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zJOX24j2Ks

Also this is pretty much me breaking my own rules for this thread but I'm obsessed with Christopher Tin's "Sogno di Volare" from the Civilization VI soundtrack and since I'm sure there are a lot of people reading this thread who appreciate great classical music, I can't let this go without a mention. It's genuinely a remarkable piece of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYN2P3E06s

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's no Baba Yetu

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

It's no Baba Yetu

Hell of a follow-up though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

It's no Baba Yetu

What is, really.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is, really.

I'd say that the two albums he put out are pretty fantastic as well. I haven't listened to The Drop That Contained The Sea much yet, but I had Calling All Dawns on repeat for ages.

Here is the Dawn Suite, the 4 songs that close the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFW2pGroPFE

The final notes may sound familiar because it leads into Baba Yetu, the first song on the album.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Having recently seen Sing Street after I didn't manage to catch it in the cinema I have to say I adore the soundtrack. Given that it is a coming-of-age movie playing in the mid 80's in Ireland the music is clearly inspired by that time period and uses several chart hits of that time but also has quite a few great original songs (if you like that time period music wise) which is pretty much the only reason to post about it here.

Have a track list (original songs highlighted) and a link to a single original song although the rest can be found on youtube as well.

Rock N Roll Is A Risk (Dialogue)
von Jack Reynor 0:05

Stay Clean
von Motörhead 2:39

The Riddle Of The Model
von Sing Street 1:48

Rio
von Duran Duran 5:29

Up
von Sing Street 2:43

To Find You
von Sing Street 3:19

Town Called Malice
von The Jam 2:53

Inbetween Days
von The Cure 2:56

A Beautiful Sea
von Sing Street 3:03

Maneater
von Hall & Oates 4:31

Steppin' Out
von Joe Jackson 4:15

Drive It Like You Stole It
von Sing Street 3:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

Up (Bedroom Mix)
von Sing Street 1:53

Pop Muzik
von M 3:16

Girls
von Sing Street 1:57

Brown Shoes
von Sing Street 2:51

Go Now (From "Sing Street" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
von Adam Levine

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Cross-posting (heh) from the SW spoiler thread:

Originated from here though they have since taken the tracklist down.

Puns:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

Jedha call Saw

:mmmhmm:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like Giacchino but goddamn it man. Quit it with the puns.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The puns are glorious. Never stop.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
9 has to be the best song title ever.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

...and just like that page 16 has become full circle. I'd to think I came close with "Seeing Gerrara" and "To Jedi For", but clearly I was still no match for the punmaster. Those liner notes say "my team and I" but I don't believe it for a second that those titles are not a one man show.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I want him to score a super serious movie along the lines of Schindler's List or 12 Years a Slave to see if he still can't help putting in his puns.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

9. Göth and Make Up

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I feel this is appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlc_Fok4dM

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

Indeed.

The Rogue One score has grown on me quite a bit as I've listened to it more and learned it better. I think it fits in perfectly with the other films and scores by Williams.

This track, Jyn's theme, stands right up there with Leia's theme from the link above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CTq5QZtI

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

Indeed.

The Rogue One score has grown on me quite a bit as I've listened to it more and learned it better. I think it fits in perfectly with the other films and scores by Williams.

This track, Jyn's theme, stands right up there with Leia's theme from the link above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CTq5QZtI

I feel like both new SW scores work better independent of the films.

I watched Rogue One and was disappointed with Giacchino. But listening to it on its own it really is fine work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing about the main motif from Rogue One is that it sounds like it's leading into The Force Theme/Binary Sunset but steps away from it at the last moment. It teases it heavily, saying "very soon... but not yet". It's perfect for a movie that leads directly into A New Hope.