Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yet again Google dumps another UI change with zero way to disable it.

Material looks like rear end for anything other than phones Google.

MohShuvuu posted:

Has anyone been experiencing YouTube videos not loading until you refresh a few times? I removed the YouTube app from chrome and it still happens.

Disable adblockers, there's a Youtube survey that's supposed to display before a video plays that gets blocked, once you clear that it should be fine and you can reenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Disable adblockers, there's a Youtube survey that's supposed to display before a video plays that gets blocked, once you clear that it should be fine and you can reenable.

Thanks for posting this. I tried leaving adblock off after the survey, but only made it a few minutes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Looks like it's worthwhile to completely kill Chrome every few hours. Because it appears after long runtime, it enters some weird state that'll keep the CPU running at a high clock, despite idling pages and generally low CPU usage. Made up to 20W difference on the Kill-a-watt leaving an old Chrome session idle vs. a fresh one with the same pages opened.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The issue I started having recently (two ChromeOS upgrades ago IIRC) is that the three-finger horizontal swipe gesture (used for switching tabs) doesn't work properly anymore, at least on this HP Chromebook 13. After the previous upgrade the gesture would cause it to jump to a chunk of tabs in the middle and switch between those, instead of simply scrolling across all tabs; the following upgrade makes it work a little better in that it can still scroll across all the tabs but it still has a tendency to jump from the current tab over a chunk of tabs entirely. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What are the new annotations that appear at the end of some youtube videos? They look like annotations anyway but I have all annotations turned off. They're really annoying because they completely fill the screen about 20 seconds before the video finishes. How do I get rid of them?

taiyoko posted:

I've not been having any issues out of YouTube....but I am also running Magic Options and it's got some sort of alternate buffering, which between that and disabling autoplay, all my YouTube issues are gone.

I have youtube pages sometimes freeze for a few seconds even with Magic Actions.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a strange issue with uBlock Origin:

Both filter 'tabs', and the About tab, display a 'It may have been moved or deleted' ... thing. Anyone else getting this?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Stare-Out posted:

What are the new annotations that appear at the end of some youtube videos? They look like annotations anyway but I have all annotations turned off. They're really annoying because they completely fill the screen about 20 seconds before the video finishes. How do I get rid of them?

They're the "new" end card feature, effectively replacing annotations for letting creators link to other videos/channels and it actually supports mobile. There's no way to turn them off natively. I don't know of any addons offhand that have been updated to support turning them off, assuming it's even possible.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DemonMage posted:

They're the "new" end card feature, effectively replacing annotations for letting creators link to other videos/channels and it actually supports mobile. There's no way to turn them off natively. I don't know of any addons offhand that have been updated to support turning them off, assuming it's even possible.

Well that's remarkably stupid. Thanks.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
That's really loving dumb, what the hell Google?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You can block it with Stylish. I don't remember the class, but just inspect the page to find it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Stare-Out posted:

It might just be the creator of the channel you're watching being stupid about it. The few channels I watch that actually take advantage of it just use it to link to a few past videos, except now I can actually tap them to follow through. I've never noticed a full screen one before.

It owns when used properly. I wish they'd just actually added annotation functionality to their mobile apps instead of yet another new system but I guess I should have known better, given this is google we're talking about here.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I disabled it, but I still run into the issue of videos not loading at the start and having to refresh like 10 times, but now with advertisements.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

Don't solely blame Youtube/Google, the author of the video intentionally made the last 20 secs of his video show those cards, and chose what to "advertise" for. It's not just auto-generated.

While I'd prefer to be without (annotations are retarded in the first place), I've seen a channel that does this and it just provides a common little outro and links to recent videos from their channel.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am suddenly seeing suggested posts on Facebook with uBlock Origin. Is there some fix for this? Facebook is even more insufferable now. :qq:

Edit: I did the uninstall youtube thing and it still shows them. Grr.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 29, 2016

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Rand alPaul posted:

I am suddenly seeing suggested posts on Facebook with uBlock Origin. Is there some fix for this? Facebook is even more insufferable now. :qq:

Edit: I did the uninstall youtube thing and it still shows them. Grr.
Facebook messes with their site code all the time to make it harder to block anything on the page, Social Fixer isn't catching them anymore either. Nothing you can do at the moment except wait for someone to update the filter.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

datajosh posted:

Facebook messes with their site code all the time to make it harder to block anything on the page, Social Fixer isn't catching them anymore either. Nothing you can do at the moment except wait for someone to update the filter.

Oh okay cool, I was just making sure it wasn't something I was missing. I noticed Twitch is doing the same thing as well with their ads.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm a freak that likes using Incognito mode as my default browsing mode.

Looking at Chrome's privacy settings I found this:

For the most part this seems to make Regular Chrome work the same as Incognito mode, with the advantage that tab history is kept until I close the browser (instead of until you close the tab, like in Incognito).

The weird thing is that every now and then I will shut down my computer and when I boot up again, I'll find that Chrome hasn't actually cleared my cookies (ie: I'll be already signed into any webpages I was browsing before turning off the computer). Anecdotally, it happens about 1/5 times.

Is this a bug or am I missing something about how this setting works?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If Chrome gets killed while it's doing something in the background, it probably saves and reloads the session. Make sure you exit it completely before restarting, including the icon it puts in the notification area.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Today, out of nowhere, both my work and home PCs are giving "smartphone" style search results in Chrome, searching via Google.com

What is this poo poo?

Edit: For fucks sake, Google is doing some loving experiment on me. It goes away if I sign out and comes back if I sign back in:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/9EvVmTDYjCo

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 20, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Are they loving around with the Flash policy again? In today's new build, the plugin keeps getting re-enabled at every browser restart. Just let it die already.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Today, out of nowhere, both my work and home PCs are giving "smartphone" style search results in Chrome, searching via Google.com

What is this poo poo?

Edit: For fucks sake, Google is doing some loving experiment on me. It goes away if I sign out and comes back if I sign back in:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/9EvVmTDYjCo
I just got this today. Make it stop.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

eSporks posted:

I just got this today. Make it stop.

It's still doing it to me, this is probably the greatest injustice Google has cooked up since the thing where they've refused to have the "Avoid Tolls" option in Google Maps be sticky since it first came out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm a freak that likes using Incognito mode as my default browsing mode.

Looking at Chrome's privacy settings I found this:

For the most part this seems to make Regular Chrome work the same as Incognito mode, with the advantage that tab history is kept until I close the browser (instead of until you close the tab, like in Incognito).

The weird thing is that every now and then I will shut down my computer and when I boot up again, I'll find that Chrome hasn't actually cleared my cookies (ie: I'll be already signed into any webpages I was browsing before turning off the computer). Anecdotally, it happens about 1/5 times.

Is this a bug or am I missing something about how this setting works?

Instead of running chrome in incognito all the time, get vanilla cookie manager (here) which doesn't have that weird bug or whatever and (if you want to) lets you whitelist certain cookies so they don't get deleted when you close the browser and you stay logged in, for example in reddit or somethingawful or whatever.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

It's still doing it to me, this is probably the greatest injustice Google has cooked up since the thing where they've refused to have the "Avoid Tolls" option in Google Maps be sticky since it first came out.
I read this as "Avoid Trolls", and my first thought was "Hot drat, google has an option to filter trolls, thats crazy!". My Second thought was "Wait, who is trolling google maps and how?"

So now I am left legitimately wondering if google maps has trolls.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chrome 56 now re-enables Flash Player in chrome://plugins every time it starts.

Google says it 'disables Flash Player'. Unfortunately this is some bizarro definition of 'disables Flash Player', since instead of just loading the HTML5 video player any site with video worth watching (and most that don't) has in 2017, it shows a broken plugin graphic and 'click here to enable Flash' or whatever.

Dick move, Google.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I'm on 56 too.. in Advanced -> Content settings 'Block sites from running flash' is set by default, and all pages are switching to HTML5 video no problem.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Resonance posted:

I'm on 56 too.. in Advanced -> Content settings 'Block sites from running flash' is set by default, and all pages are switching to HTML5 video no problem.

Go visit MLB.com and see how long that 'all' of yours lasts.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
hmm yeah that's not so good.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I mean, I get the idea of shaming sites that still rely on Flash Player, but come on, Google, save it for sites that actually do that, rather than sites that work properly unless you go out of your way to make them not work properly.

Feels like they're frustrating users any time they want to watch video at Not YouTube, in a way that will encourage them to start playing Russian Roulette with their computers because 'oh yeah, the site just does that'.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I can't replicate the issue you're experiencing; I'm on 56, it's disabled, and the site you linked works for HTML5 without asking for flash.

Maybe you have site data saved for it or something? See what you get in incognito mode.

e; actually, a proper restart of Chrome later and it re-enabled flash. Though it still prefers HTML5

Yes the issue you described seems to be the new intended behaviour, as they're axing plugin controls in 57 entirely.
Hmmm.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 30, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

eSporks posted:

I read this as "Avoid Trolls", and my first thought was "Hot drat, google has an option to filter trolls, thats crazy!". My Second thought was "Wait, who is trolling google maps and how?"

So now I am left legitimately wondering if google maps has trolls.
When you said avoid trolls my first thought was that it's just a mode to avoid going over bridges.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Has anyone had the issue where Chrome's color management starts screwing up images to the point where pictures are just masses of black color? Chrome is basically doing an OJ effect:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've run into a bit of an odd problem with Chrome lately after a long time without ever having had any difficulties with it.

What's happening is pages becoming unresponsive; content doesn't load, links don't work etc. I sometimes get the "Page unresponsive: Kill or Wait?" error message, but neither of the buttons on it work either! Then, when I close the window, it either doesn't reopen when I click on any of the Chrome shortcuts, or it opens to a blank page (not my home screen) and won't navigate anywhere else. It's become a recurring problem; happens maybe once every couple of hours but I'm not strictly keeping track.

The strangest thing is how it affects my Internet connection more generally. I've had Microsoft Edge open at the same time this has happened (site I'm using for research doesn't open or work properly in Chrome but works fine in Edge) and when Chrome starts acting up, I can still navigate within the site I already had open in Edge and I can run searches with the address bar, but I can't access any new sites (e.g. I could run a search with the address bar and it would come up with a Bing results page, but I can't open any of the links in the list of results).

In any event, the most annoying thing about it is that I have to completely restart the computer to restore Internet access every time it happens. I couldn't tell you what version of it I'm running; as far as I know it's the most recent one because I haven't been invited to update in a while. Not sure whether it could be an extension or a plug-in either; only ones I think I have enabled are the one that lets you use backspace and a YouTube comment blocker!

Has anyone else run into anything like this?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It's an extension/plugin problem.

One of them probably got an update that's trying to send your usage data to 3rd party site to record you that can't handle it and is getting stuck.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone know a PDF extension/Chrome app that can handle PDF forms and/or allow one to add text boxes and re-save as PDF?

edit: actually maybe this just isn't a form. Can the default Chrome PDF viewer handle forms?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

unknown posted:

It's an extension/plugin problem.

One of them probably got an update that's trying to send your usage data to 3rd party site to record you that can't handle it and is getting stuck.

I looked around a bit online and eventually found an explanation that says stopping and disabling the "Client Analytics Service" will correct the problem. I have tried this and the issue seems to be resolved.

However, I am not entirely sure what the Client Analytics Service is for or what it actually does; can I manage without this or should I switch it back on?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Is that a plugin/extension? I don't recognise the name and a quick google of the name doesn't come up with anything special.

But based on the name alone - that's sending your surfing habits (URLs) to a 3rd party somewhere (some advertising company most likely), and it's having issues contacting the server every so often and causes all your delays.

So simply put: just leave it disabled.

Edit: Oh, this is Mcafee in Windows10? Yeah, piece of garbage that's causing all your issues. Uninstall it and just run windows defender.

unknown fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 15, 2017

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is there a non-sketchy extension that will remove and/or put downloads in another location? I think the old one was called Download Box or something, but then it started selling ads.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

crestfallen posted:

Is there a non-sketchy extension that will remove and/or put downloads in another location? I think the old one was called Download Box or something, but then it started selling ads.

What do you mean, "remove and/or put downloads in another location?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I updated the Chrome on my Mac about a week ago and now it seems a little hosed up. A lot of times when I try to do a google search or type in a URL, it doesn't go when I press enter. I have to press enter 2-3 more times before it actually does the search or goes to the page I want it to go to. This is a very annoying behavior and I was hoping if anyone else has had it or if there's a fix.