Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

General Morden posted:

s2 people are jumping a hell of a lot more

if you like to jump in SF, this is the SF game for you

This is basically why I was opposed to nerfing jab AA, because it did feel like the only reliable way to punish jumpins as a non DP character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Count Bleck posted:

I am like 200% certain goons can't like video games even a little bit.

As a competitive player you need a lot of practice to be competitive; this means a lot of matches. Let's say the average fighting game lets you play 50 matches in a certain amount of time; if it's SFV it'll be 30 matches if you're lucky. This is not a "lol goons" thing, it's a quality of life thing. I'm not a "pro player" by any definition but being good at fighting games is a hobby of mine, one which SFV makes difficult because it limits the time you can spend at becoming good at the game.

Coincidentally I play BBCF which runs lightning fast on PS4

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

apple posted:

As a competitive player you need a lot of practice to be competitive; this means a lot of matches. Let's say the average fighting game lets you play 50 matches in a certain amount of time; if it's SFV it'll be 30 matches if you're lucky. This is not a "lol goons" thing, it's a quality of life thing. I'm not a "pro player" by any definition but being good at fighting games is a hobby of mine, one which SFV makes difficult because it limits the time you can spend at becoming good at the game.

You're the number one pro in my heart, bananerkun sempai.

Also I'm sad to hear that the game's transitions between battles are somehow even slower than before because, despite my issues with it, I still probably would have at least checked out the new characters when they came out if the game was even marginally improved by the S1 to S2 transition.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Count Bleck posted:

I like a lot of games, many of which are fighting games, such as Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code, Rivals of Aether, and Battlerite.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
battlerite is os good you guys

apple
May 18, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You're the number one pro in my heart, bananerkun sempai.

Also I'm sad to hear that the game's transitions between battles are somehow even slower than before because, despite my issues with it, I still probably would have at least checked out the new characters when they came out if the game was even marginally improved by the S1 to S2 transition.

:3:

I don't know if they're any faster or slower objectively, but they sure as hell don't feel better.

It's always gone like this for ranked matches:
  • Searching opponent
  • Waiting for opponent (go back to start if opponent times out)
  • ANOTHER FIGHT IS COMING YOUR WAY
  • Long pause into black screen + loading
  • Versus screen slowly loads and shows both players
  • More loading until match finally starts

All in all it takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes and I only got up to platinum!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
apple could've turned pro if he wanted to,

in crawl

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

apple could've turned pro if he wanted to,

in crawl

A bunch of my friends are top crawl players its not glamourous

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm playing this on PC and have not noticed any egregious load times, so

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Are there any other fighting games that are as slow and footsie based as street fighter is?

Get on fightcade and play breakers revenge with brazilians

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zand posted:

if you intend to purchase this game and try to unlock characters from both seasons with fight money alone, with 10 dlc characters at 100,000fm each, you need 1,000,000fm. that's 20,000 ranked victories. assuming you win every fight, with 60seconds load time per fight, that's 20,000 minutes or roughly 333 hours, or around 2 weeks solid of load times alone

lol

This is why I find it odd when people say you don't "need" to buy the DLC to get the rest of the characters. Unless you are going to go HARD in the game, you likely will. Or at least it seems to me.

apple
May 18, 2003

man nurse posted:

I'm playing this on PC and have not noticed any egregious load times, so

I have the PC version, I had to stop because PS4 has weird framedrops and poo poo that doesn't happen on PC, also input delay was slightly different (or very different if you forced vsync off before the fix). The net result is your timing for a lot of things is thrown off when you play on PS4 tournaments, aka everywhere.

For a casual player PC version is better though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

playing on ps4 pro and i havent noticed a change in loadtimes

i dont usually notice the game until i hear fight! though

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Here's a quote from the DO4M thread:

The DO4M Thread posted:

DOOM is good.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

A.o.D. posted:

New doom added arcade mode before sfv fwiw

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ROFL Octopus posted:

New doom added arcade mode before sfv fwiw

The punching in Doom is more satisfying than the punching in SFV.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Count Bleck posted:

I played multiple games that I enjoyed this year several of which were fighting games, none of them were SFV, stop being a child

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I bought both SF5 and Revelator at the black Friday sale, and while I don't think SF5 is terrible, I'm having a lot more fun getting my rear end kicked as Sol than Ryu

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rev is better in just about every way, I just play more sfv because....uhhhh....not sure. Easier to understand.

And yeah I haven't seen anyone not like Doom. The end cinematic the sp game is horribly anti climactic and negates the whole games theme but maybe its just me and that's honestly the only thing that was bad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'll be legit I expected less of this

Countblanc posted:

I like a lot of games, many of which are fighting games, such as Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code, Rivals of Aether, and Battlerite.

A.o.D. posted:

apple posted:

And more of this

Captain Baal posted:

I played multiple games that I enjoyed this year several of which were fighting games, none of them were SFV, stop being a child

Thank you for proving me wrong. :)

What are the odds Revelator goes on sale/Baiken gets added, by the way my Guilty Gear Liking Dudes?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Count Bleck posted:

well I'm 300% certain you just like this game and others don't for very obvious inexcusable reasons.
It's fine to like it regardless, but it's boring to just "goons" it.
There's honestly so little to defend here, And i was for sf5 until like it came out and then a week passed.
It's a serviceable game that people can enjoy but its a step down in the genre and for a leader in the category at least financially, it is immensely disappointing in categories that fall outside of simply being preference. No one prefers a game to load longer for instance.

Revelator is on sale on ps4 right now and likely will go on sale in pc in a bit (i give it like a 20 buck drop like feb-march)

Central fiction is also on sale on ps4 right now.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 24, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

SectumSempra posted:

Revelator is on sale on ps4 right now and likely will go on sale in pc in a bit (i give it like a 20 buck drop like feb-march)

Central fiction is also on sale on ps4 right now.

Merry Chirstmas to me.

They both have legacy drivers don't they?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
You can backdrop after a blocked chop with precise timing, which is nice.

https://a.pomf.cat/gkgupz.webm

apple
May 18, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

Merry Chirstmas to me.

They both have legacy drivers don't they?

Yeah, it's plug and play on both of them IIRC

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Grapplejack posted:

Are there any other fighting games that are as slow and footsie based as street fighter is?

Koihime Enbu is even more footsies based than Street Fighter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Koihime Enbu is even more footsies based than Street Fighter

Mostly because there's almost nothing else in the game other than footsies.
It's anime ST basically.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
st is a grimy game my dude

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

apple posted:

:3:

I don't know if they're any faster or slower objectively, but they sure as hell don't feel better.

It's always gone like this for ranked matches:
  • Searching opponent
  • Waiting for opponent (go back to start if opponent times out)
  • ANOTHER FIGHT IS COMING YOUR WAY
  • Long pause into black screen + loading
  • Versus screen slowly loads and shows both players
  • More loading until match finally starts

All in all it takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes and I only got up to platinum!

This is pretty much the main thing that killed the game for me - Not even the length of those transitions (on PC they're not long) but that there's so many that don't add anything - would love to see the ratio of 'time playing' (even if you assumed triple timeout) vs 'time waiting to play'.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah now that im watching for it instead of watching something on my ipad it really sucks

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Count Bleck posted:

What are the odds Revelator goes on sale/Baiken gets added, by the way my Guilty Gear Liking Dudes?

Baiken won't be added; if they want to put her in she'll be in a later revision. There's no official statement on that but yeah that's just pretty much how Arcsys operates unfortunately.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 24, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jack Trades posted:

Mostly because there's almost nothing else in the game other than footsies.
It's anime ST basically.

Have you ever played ST before

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Have you ever played ST before

Yes? In fact the last time I played ST was yesterday.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ST the game well known for having no setplay, only footsies

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

ST the game well known for having no setplay, only footsies

quote:

almost
ˈɔːlməʊst/
not quite; very nearly.
"he almost knocked Georgina over"
synonyms: nearly, just about, about, more or less, practically, virtually, all but, as good as, next to, close to, near, nigh on, not far from, not far off, to all intents and purposes, approaching, bordering on, verging on, nearing;

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
https://youtu.be/52e3LNOCEwg

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If someone tries to gift you SFV for Christmas you're legally allowed to assault them with less than lethal force.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

If someone tries to gift you SFV for Christmas you're legally allowed to assault them with less than lethal force.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 24, 2016

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jack Trades posted:

Yes? In fact the last time I played ST was yesterday.

you must not be very good if you think it's almost all footsies

the most honest version of sf2 is hf

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Captain Baal posted:

At what age would a child usually be expected to stop posting in a thread about a game they don't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Bleck posted:

At what age would a child usually be expected to stop posting in a thread about a game they don't like?

probably when the game in question stops saying it'll be better then makes it worse over and over again