Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

Cainhurst is completely optional so you can come back later.

That's probably what I'll do if I pick it back up

At the time it became a stupid personal pride sticking point though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Cainhurst boss is the hardest one in vanilla in my opinion. His moves are just tough to dodge even when you know all his tells and he can make two bad things happen at once. I beat him once with help and mages to kill him by myself on second playthrough and was pretty proud.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Help me out here. I want to go back into Witcher 3 now that I have the expansions, but I am wondering what difficulty I would play on. I was on Hard, because I hear most people recommended hard, but honestly I remember having a miserable time of it and kind of want to roll on Normal. What are the difficulty differences? I remember that there is no automatic health regeneration on hard or something?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should get back to Bloodborne to avenge my deep shame at being stuck on Father Gascoigne and dying many times in stupid ways to enemies who really shouldn't have killed me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Logarious is super tough if you don't know the trick to his buff but I found Ebrietas harder personally. They both have nothing on a couple of the DLC bosses though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

Help me out here. I want to go back into Witcher 3 now that I have the expansions, but I am wondering what difficulty I would play on. I was on Hard, because I hear most people recommended hard, but honestly I remember having a miserable time of it and kind of want to roll on Normal. What are the difficulty differences? I remember that there is no automatic health regeneration on hard or something?

play the game on the easiest setting and toggle it to hard when you want to fight monsters for contracts or whatever.

there is no point in slogging through a million fights with humans and drowners on hard with the poo poo piss controls they give you. you won't miss anything

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I spent a good deal of money on the steam sale so far, but that was mostly because I had found a good deal on steam cards earlier in the year and stockpiled the goods until the appropriate time. And since I bought a bunch of weird, possibly overlooked indie games, I figured I'd try them right away and make a nice trip report.

First off is Pozzo Jello Crusade. I saw a few of my Steam friends buying it and talking it up a little. The screenshots look extremely weird so thought it was a little joke or whatever. Turns out its by Tales of Games and its a very competent if strangely put together puzzle game. The mechanics might be a little familiar to avid puzzle game players, a typical step on every special square to open the gate but you can only step on the squares once type game, but the challenge ramps up quickly and there are definite twists to it that I haven't seen before, I look forward to playing more of this.

Then I played Magicmaker, I've had this floating on my wishlist since it came out two years ago but I never pulled the trigger on it until today. Once again it looks a little slapshod but this game is pretty impressive, mostly I think because the dev hasn't abandoned it and has continually added new spell traits and customization options for the last two years. Its kinda surprising. I'll be playing more of this.

Last game I've tried so far is Neon Drive. Unlike the last two, this game looks and sounds amazing, also unlike the last two I didn't like it too much. Its a well polished rhythm game with that awesome 80s retro aesthetic, but I feel like I should be able to just chill and swerve around some obstacles occasionally, but the game is flat out difficult, and oftentimes not in an 'overcoming a challenge way' in more a 'you are going to have to memorize this segment through trial and error' type way. I can see myself returning to this, but it might not be for a while.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Real hurthling! posted:

play the game on the easiest setting and toggle it to hard when you want to fight monsters for contracts or whatever.

there is no point in slogging through a million fights with humans and drowners on hard with the poo poo piss controls they give you. you won't miss anything

I am generally fine with the controls, so I will just play on normal.

OF COURSE someone managed to quote my old, more pissy kindly worded post before I edited it.
VVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 24, 2016

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Normal it is then. A sincere thank you for your constructive input!

Yea, roll on normal til you get a good build and witcher gear, then its worth it to ramp it up.

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
ANYWAY, I have been playing the Hexcells games after seeing them being talked about in the Steam thread. I got through the first game, and it is pretty good, but kinda simple. If you are familiar with any sort of logic puzzle like Sudoku or Nurikabe (or hell, even Minesweeper), you won't have much problems.

The first few puzzles in the second game, however, things actually get a little interesting. I am looking forward to how it progresses in the third game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unlucky7 posted:

ANYWAY, I have been playing the Hexcells games after seeing them being talked about in the Steam thread. I got through the first game, and it is pretty good, but kinda simple. If you are familiar with any sort of logic puzzle like Sudoku or Nurikabe (or hell, even Minesweeper), you won't have much problems.

The first few puzzles in the second game, however, things actually get a little interesting. I am looking forward to how it progresses in the third game.

You are in for some good times, my friend.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If I want to buy Europa Universalis in the Steam Sale what DLC packs should I buy with it? I know some are really pointless wastes of money and some are good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

art of war and common sense for sure. if it's discounted enough then rights of man as well, which just came out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, happy holidays!! How is everyone doing?

I hope everybody's steam sale is going well, and hopefully everyone has a good holiday season whether you're celebrating christmas or any of the other various holidays happening this time of year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
merry christmas eve, thread. have some music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7SapE2ZWj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s_QXnox4kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9Sq7IOP3o

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have finished work for Christmas time to wrap presents whilst listening to the Rez soundtrack

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Oceanhorn worth playing outside of looking a bit like Wind Waker?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I have finished work for Christmas time to wrap presents whilst listening to the Rez soundtrack

The the the mind killerrr

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Red Bones posted:

If I want to buy Europa Universalis in the Steam Sale what DLC packs should I buy with it? I know some are really pointless wastes of money and some are good.

All of them. Especially all the stuff like country specific songs you'll never hear and the potrait cosmetics for ruler pictures.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the epic eu4 dlc troll...

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

When I got to the first notice board, I took all of the notices and some of them didn;t show up in my inventory or give me quests - are those just sort of there for world-building? Also, none of the ones that say "urgent" actually are, right, like I can just let them sit in my questbox until I get to them.

If a notice doesn't give you a quest or witcher contract then it might drop a question mark on your map near a bandit camp or something. Besides that it's just flavor, like the one advertising lessons in Nilfgaard's tongue in White Orchard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

by the way i think next month should be January Games Chat Thread: > New Save | o Continue | o Quit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What I generally do for EU dlc is wait for the major expansions to go for less 5 bucks and then pick them up, so I'm usually 6 to 9 months behind on updates. But then I check out what the updates add and pick a country that will get to use them best.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Who else is working on this fine Christmas Eve morning? And then again Christmas night?

:negative:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zaggitz posted:

Who else is working on this fine Christmas Eve morning? And then again Christmas night?

:ohdearsass:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Next paycheck's gonna be fuckin out of this world tho.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

What I generally do for EU dlc is wait for the major expansions to go for less 5 bucks and then pick them up, so I'm usually 6 to 9 months behind on updates. But then I check out what the updates add and pick a country that will get to use them best.

rights of man is really good though. ruler/general traits, no regency period through consorts, ditch 0/2/1 heirs.... also some other stuff i think

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

I'm working today but thankfully we're closed tomorrow

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Looper posted:

I'm working today but thankfully we're closed tomorrow

You getting time and a half? I'm time and a half today and double time tomorrow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gravity Rush 2 demo was fun. Should I get Gravity Rush Remastered at some point? The whole falling around to travel thing was pretty fun, though it took me a while to get a hang of airborne combat.

I can't stop playing the Nier: Automata demo, though. I'm so hyped for that game. I think it's now tied with Persona 5 at the top of my "most exciting 2017 games" list, with Nioh just below. I'm sure it'll be even more fun when there are a bunch more weapon types to play with, too. I kept trying to fight dudes with my fists my most recent time through the demo and apparently the light attack with bare fists has a huge knockback, which was hilarious.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Oceanhorn worth playing outside of looking a bit like Wind Waker?

it's a good zelda yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the first game is fun, but kind of limited by being on a handheld originally. Still worth playing though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

it's a good zelda yeah

I'm surprised at how few Zelda-likes get made. It seems like the thing every indie wants to do is make their Metroidvania, but there aren't nearly as many Zelda clones as I'd expect.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oceanhorn is cool but it's pretty simplistic by virtue of being a phone game. What's there is solid all the way through though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ciaphas posted:

My problems with the steam controller are partially subjective feel but mostly that the "d-pad" is utterly worthless for just about anything. Dare you to try playing Shantae or Shovel Knight with that thing :v:
The touchpad d-pad mode is for playing shootmans games where the d-pad functions as a weapon switch. As you surmised, it is unsuited for actual platformers.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my god raw cookie dough is irresistable

My stomach is gonna hate me for that
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-you-should-never-eat-raw-dough/
https://twitter.com/WJHG_TV/status/808684151197069312
https://twitter.com/kateoneil75/status/812137305817235456

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh hey, Gravity Rush 2 comes out way sooner than I thought. Well, I'm sold on it from the demo. Anyone know if I need to play the first one for the story or not?

Ciaphas posted:

My problems with the steam controller are partially subjective feel but mostly that the "d-pad" is utterly worthless for just about anything. Dare you to try playing Shantae or Shovel Knight with that thing :v:

The grip "buttons" are a pretty great idea though, I'll give them that

I can't stand the Steam Controller. I really wish I liked it. I do like the grip buttons, and I don't even really hate the fake "d-pad" (make it work on tap, not click, and with a tiny bit of haptic feedback when you tap, and it feels pretty good, at least for selecting things in a menu like in Dark Souls), but just everything about its layout makes my hands cramp up. I haven't really tried it out for any game that isn't already a game I'd play with a controller, though, so maybe it really shines when you fire up Civ or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

it's a good zelda yeah

Cool thank you

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Harrow posted:

Oh hey, Gravity Rush 2 comes out way sooner than I thought. Well, I'm sold on it from the demo. Anyone know if I need to play the first one for the story or not?

1 is all a bunch of set up for a mystery 2 is set to unravel so yeah you should play it.

also you should play it because its real short and reaaaaaaaaaal good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Going for the sniping challenges in Hitman is a very relaxing change of pace. Perched on the highest viewpoint, waiting for the perfect shot...the wind playing with your cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Redemption gets all the attention but I love the intro to Red Dead Revolver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxEAmWqbVE

• Locked thread