Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

exploded mummy posted:

The Headbangers

Seeing them come back in 2016 while following the '97 Raws with B&V (when they were making GBS threads up the ring every week) was a surreal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, Shelton was literally about to debut, then went to the doctor and was told "Im stopping you now"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rare Magic card l00k posted:

WCW was at one point doing such low buyrates that they offered people a free raft for buying a PPV.
One recently appeared on eBay and Bard Maddox won it for $200 after a bidding war with another bunch of goons who all thought they were losing it to someone not on SA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

WCW was at one point doing such low buyrates that they offered people a free raft for buying a PPV.

PPV giveaways weren't uncommon at the time. WWF did them after they had caught fire.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Once Benjamin's shoulder heals up, he's still coming to SDL, right? What's his timetable for recovery?

A month ago he mentioned that his doctor said 4-6 months

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Benne posted:

I can't decide between Jinder Mahal or Curt Hawkins for most pointless re-hiring of the "new era"

Jinder's just been jobbing about while Hawkins was given a shitload of loving awful promos that were so bad they might as well rename him Curt "Crowd Killer" Hawkins

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Benne posted:

I can't decide between Jinder Mahal or Curt Hawkins for most pointless re-hiring of the "new era"

Both of them are actually exactly where they need and deserve to be, ie. mostly off TV

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Endless Mike posted:

One recently appeared on eBay and Bard Maddox won it for $200 after a bidding war with another bunch of goons who all thought they were losing it to someone not on SA.

Lmao I forgot about that night

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

extradite THIS! posted:

Both of them are actually exactly where they need and deserve to be, ie. mostly off TV

Yeah, but they already have a bunch of guys doing exactly that. Why bother bringing back Curt Hawkins and paying him to sit in catering next to Jack Swagger and the Vaudevillains? That's the reason I called it pointless.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 24, 2016

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Halloween Jack posted:

What wrestler most perfectly fits the "look" that Vince supposedly wants? The natural answer would be Warrior (or Gary Strydom) but I think McMahon would prefer a Jim Hellwig that he could bill at 6'6" give or take a couple inches. Lex Luger, I guess?

This reminded me of "Stuttering" Matt Morgan.

I actually really liked his run in TNA as the blue print. I'm somewhat surprised he never returned to the wwe as, to me, he fit vinces mold perfectly.

I guess the other person would be the juiced up Chris Masters.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Matt Morgan was loving shite and unsafe.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Matt Morgan was loving unsafe.

Yeah, he's not in the Vince mold, he's in the Triple H mold.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Matt Morgan got so many chances to be anything

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Matt Morgan got so many chances to be anything

That said, the stuttering gimmick was death. I don't know how they thought it'd get over. Also reminds me that CM Punk mentioned once that he was offered a gimmick of a deaf wrestler.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Matt Morgan may have actually never had a chance to be anything.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
What are the chances someone remembers which show had a talking head clip of Fandango thanking Sunny (maybe Sable) for his teenage years? Might have been one of those 'top 100 moments' shows, but I'm looking for that clip particularly.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

magnum_valentino posted:

What are the chances someone remembers which show had a talking head clip of Fandango thanking Sunny (maybe Sable) for his teenage years? Might have been one of those 'top 100 moments' shows, but I'm looking for that clip particularly.

That sounds really familiar. I'd think probably WWE List but it might be Countdown. There's only a handful of episodes it could be on on either though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It might be the Countdown/List of best Jim Johnson compositions, Sunny's theme was on there

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

It might be the Countdown/List of best Jim Johnson compositions, Sunny's theme was on there

I just checked the Jim Johnson thing, not that one. Which Countdowns could it be on?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

magnum_valentino posted:

I just checked the Jim Johnson thing, not that one. Which Countdowns could it be on?

Dangerous Divas. If it's on The WWE List, it would be whatever episode also has Diva in the title

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Watching some old All Japan stuff and who is the masked wrestler ringside during the Dec., 5, 1974 matches of Ken Mantell vs Jumbo Tsuruta and Giant Baba vs Jack Brisco?

edit: I'm beginning to think it was The Destroyer.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 26, 2016

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
i was thinking about WCW and Monday Night Nitro after listening to Lapsed Fans Starcade 95 review and i remember reading or hearing from somewhere that the reason Bischoff chose the Nitro name was.

that if you say it fast enough it sounds like Monday Night Raw..

is that total bs?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheCool69 posted:

i was thinking about WCW and Monday Night Nitro after listening to Lapsed Fans Starcade 95 review and i remember reading or hearing from somewhere that the reason Bischoff chose the Nitro name was.

that if you say it fast enough it sounds like Monday Night Raw..

is that total bs?

TNT's evening blocks were named Nitro at the time iirc.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
its a pun on Monday Night. hope this helps

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bischoff was planning on building a huge angle around Nitro, but he couldn't get out of his contract with American Gladiators. By the time the deal fell through, they'd already paid for the production aspects.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I was just watching a match with the Hardys in it earlier and it got me thinking: what are the moves that look way worse when you try to make them fancy (ala the Twist of Fate looks way worse than just a normal stunner IMHO)?
My vote would probably be most of the oddball DDT variations (with exceptions for the good ones like the impaler) or the End of Days or maybe Dark Matter, but I might be biased because I hate STOs in general unless they're done really well.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I believe you're looking for the Lunatic Lariat

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

I believe you're looking for the Lunatic Lariat

He calls it the wacky line.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I was just watching a match with the Hardys in it earlier and it got me thinking: what are the moves that look way worse when you try to make them fancy (ala the Twist of Fate looks way worse than just a normal stunner IMHO)?
My vote would probably be most of the oddball DDT variations (with exceptions for the good ones like the impaler) or the End of Days or maybe Dark Matter, but I might be biased because I hate STOs in general unless they're done really well.

counterpoint: double arm ddt

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I was gonna say neckbreaker, but then I remember the Buff Blockbuster

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Twist of Fate is an RKO/Ace Cutter/Diamond Cutter. Not sure why it is constantly misidentified as a stunner, which is totally different you guys

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

el generico's 35 step powerbomb

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

The Twist of Fate is an RKO/Ace Cutter/Diamond Cutter. Not sure why it is constantly misidentified as a stunner, which is totally different you guys

You forgot Kanyon Cutter :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dont even fink about it posted:

One of the Hardys does it more like a stunner these days. I think Jeff?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

the lethal injection is the worst move ever

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

One of the Hardys does it more like a stunner these days. I think Jeff?

He turned it into a stunner in TNA for some reason. Maybe I'm just living in the late 90's (gasp).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spermgod posted:

worst move of all time is clearly the Rolling Thunder

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i've seen a rolling thunder in a shoot fight before its a perfectly legitimate move

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

oatgan posted:

i've seen a rolling thunder in a shoot fight before its a perfectly legitimate move

Same goes for the People's Elbow