Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zen death robot posted:

The 80s are back in nuclear arms race form!

except trump is racing with nobody to stockpile nukes because he's not allowed to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's like entering a relay race 50 years after it's over, i don't think your time's going to be great

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
turns out Reagan and Gorby secretly threw away all the nuclear warheads after START I and all the fuel pumps and wires into the ICBMs are all connected to the silo toilets like that one Venture Bros ep

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

comedyblissoption posted:

i'm still laughing that this was one of the terrible and ineffective slogans they were pushing

Neeksy posted:

If you were tasked with selling Clinton to the public, there's not much that could be used beyond idpol or a superficial listing of her resume. Charisma and sincerity in the "most progressive platform in history" were out, especially with her touting Kissinger, finance assholes, and Republican endorsements. So it's not surprising the DNC polished that electoral turd with a sweaty desperation that became itself a problem in the eyes of the Democratic constituency.

The reason why that "Most Qualified Candidate Ever" horseshit kept getting thrown around was because all the lanyard-wearing technocrats that infest the DNC fundamentally believe that politics is a meritocracy and that the presidential campaign is basically a job interview.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

CrumFUNist! posted:

You thought Clinton's "Pokemon Go to the polls" was bad? Kerry would shoehorn in terrible pop culture references to shows like The Sopranos and The OC (this was 2004) in his speeches and it was very obvious he had no idea what those shows were. Also he used Trump's "You're Fired!" from The Apprentice because irony hates us all. Kerry always talked like he never met another human before.

My favorite was when he ordered a philly cheesesteak and asked the press not to take photos of him awkwardly trying to eat a commoner's sandwich.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reddit's embraced the Democratic party as the true conservative party now, and are pumping Zell Miller for 2018 lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Reddit's embraced the Democratic party as the true conservative party now, and are pumping Zell Miller for 2018 lol

what

what

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nonsense posted:

armed with what?

spitballs?!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

VirtualStranger posted:

The reason why that "Most Qualified Candidate Ever" horseshit kept getting thrown around was because all the lanyard-wearing technocrats that infest the DNC fundamentally believe that politics is a meritocracy and that the presidential campaign is basically a job interview.

i mean that's what it's ostensibly supposed to be, but certainly is not

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so just to be clear, the Dem political and media establishment are under absolutely no circumstance going to let Ellison be chair, right? I'm paging through think progress and mother jones and there's very little mention of the guy or the race, my guess is editorial is making sure their loving him over gets buried

Yinlock posted:

i mean that's what it's ostensibly supposed to be, but certainly is not

it wasn't supposed to be anything, the founders couldn't agree on how the government should work and this is the compromise we got

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Dec 24, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

icantfindaname posted:

so just to be clear, the Dem political and media establishment are under absolutely no circumstance going to let Ellison be chair, right? I'm paging through think progress and mother jones and there's very little mention of the guy or the race, my guess is editorial is making sure their loving him over gets buried

it wasn't supposed to be anything, the founders couldn't agree on how the government should work and this is the compromise we got

huffpo is having a televised debate that seems like the opposite of keeping things under wraps

but if perez wins at this point... ugh

it is not gonna be good for the democrats

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

huffpo is having a televised debate that seems like the opposite of keeping things under wraps

but if perez wins at this point... ugh

it is not gonna be good for the democrats

I don't read HuffPo but my impression is that in their commitment to producing clickbait they'll say things that other outlets won't? TP and MJ are the two outlets most closely controlled by/closest to the party's official line and they're saying nothing

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Dec 24, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who gives a poo poo who's in charge of the dnc

it's like getting invested in who's gonna be the next coach for the cleveland browns

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's like getting invested in who's gonna be the next coach for the cleveland browns

The coach gets say over whos on the team. The DNC chair doesn't even get that

Tbqh the DNC chair is best used for getting people to the polls. however, that must be backed by good and honest policy and rhetoric. nobody wants to turn out for Clinton.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The chair determines how the party's resources are utilized. If we aren't careful, we could get one who, let's say, siphons most of it off to the presidential campaign at the expense of downticket races.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Right now the DNC chairmanship is a mostly symbolic response to Clinton's loss. It matters because people care.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

NumberLast posted:

Right now the DNC chairmanship is a mostly symbolic response to Clinton's loss. It matters because people care.

Whoever becomes DNC chair will be blamed for the inevitable 2018 and 2020 electoral losses, so it's actually a smart move to bury Ellison by having him drink from the poisoned chalice.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The DNC chair matters because they represent the head of a political network, which is why the Obama/Clinton people want Perez and not Ellison. Ellison is going to favor progressive candidates.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Horseshoe theory posted:

Whoever becomes DNC chair will be blamed for the inevitable 2018 and 2020 electoral losses, so it's actually a smart move to bury Ellison by having him drink from the poisoned chalice.

although the 2018 senate map looks pretty bad, i wouldn't be so sure that it will be a poor year for dems under any dnc chair.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any good summaries of this Ellision v. Perez business?

Also, what the gently caress:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/708481603815677952

*"Bernie would have won" whispers on the wind*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I am very invested in the management of the factory of sadness as I would like production to greatly increase

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Also, what the gently caress:

A typical day for MIGF.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

CrumFUNist! posted:

You thought Clinton's "Pokemon Go to the polls" was bad? Kerry would shoehorn in terrible pop culture references to shows like The Sopranos and The OC (this was 2004) in his speeches and it was very obvious he had no idea what those shows were. Also he used Trump's "You're Fired!" from The Apprentice because irony hates us all. Kerry always talked like he never met another human before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MDa2omHT8

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Accretionist posted:

They're both in the running for the next head of the DNC. Perez is favored by Obama and is thus seen as an establishment favorite. Ellison, in addition to having been an early supporter of Bernie Sanders, is one of the most progressive members of Congress, and is thus favored by that group.

Setting factional bickering aside, Perez was a great Secretary of Labor but Ellison has been doing ground-level organizational stuff basically his entire career, is extremely popular in his district (where I live), and just basically has both the skill set and the passion to be good at all the stuff a DNC head does.

Also MIGF doesn't like him if you needed a further endorsement.

e. On the other hand, Ellison recently hinted that Hillary may not actually be a literal skin-suit for Rk'tar the Violator, certain peoples' reactions to which prompted our current thread title.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Perez wins, I'm out. I jumped ship from Republicans because I was tired of holding my nose when I went to the voting booth, and I'll be goddamned if the first time I voted in a general as a Democrat I had to hold my nose and vote for Clinton.

I have no faith in the current DNC leadership that they can actually provide anything different from the stale, centrist third-way assholes pretending that economic issues don't exist because would it solve racism.

They keep acting as if there isn't any alternative, and at the moment there isn't much in that way. But they've shown that they're more than willing to burn the rest of the country down if it means they keep their little clubhouse.

TL;dr: Obama bad, Clinton bad, Perez bad by extension, and imma start my own better political party with hookers and blackjack and better meltdowns.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

If Perez wins, I'm out. I jumped ship from Republicans because I was tired of holding my nose when I went to the voting booth, and I'll be goddamned if the first time I voted in a general as a Democrat I had to hold my nose and vote for Clinton.

I have no faith in the current DNC leadership that they can actually provide anything different from the stale, centrist third-way assholes pretending that economic issues don't exist because would it solve racism.

They keep acting as if there isn't any alternative, and at the moment there isn't much in that way. But they've shown that they're more than willing to burn the rest of the country down if it means they keep their little clubhouse.

TL;dr: Obama bad, Clinton bad, Perez bad by extension, and imma start my own better political party with hookers and blackjack and better meltdowns.

Same. Ill never vote Dem again if Perez wins.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

http://www.rentistoodamnhigh.org/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The notion that there was no alternative to the Democratic party was predicated on the idea that they could win elections, and keep Republicans out of the White House.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wagesaretoodamnedlow.net

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Phi230 posted:

Same. Ill never vote Dem again if Perez wins.

You definitely will.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The notion that there was no alternative to the Democratic party was predicated on the idea that they could win elections, and keep Republicans out of the White House.

All that brand association, infrastructure, and resources just to continually loving lose.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You definitely will.

No I actually have a spine and if centrists win this poo poo Im writing in Eugene V. Debs every election till I die

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

docbeard posted:

They're both in the running for the next head of the DNC. Perez is favored by Obama and is thus seen as an establishment favorite. Ellison, in addition to having been an early supporter of Bernie Sanders, is one of the most progressive members of Congress, and is thus favored by that group.

i don't really think the frame of an establishment vs. progressive fight is accurate. if that is the case, then perez has this all locked up - it's a vote by dnc members, and they're the same people who all endorsed hillary overwhelmingly. there is probably more a split on ideological grounds, as i suspect moderate democrats will overwhelmingly support perez, but even that is fairly mixed up and i wouldn't say at the moment that there's really clear battle lines.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

unironically good :getin:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

this thread is fascinating

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
nice meltdowns itt

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"don't vote for ______, you're just throwing it away!"

"But I voted for Hillary"

"oh"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats literally what they thought when DWS was DNC chair~

that turned out so well for em~ :grin:

Concerned Citizen posted:

this thread is fascinating

why? it's just a disillusioned voter

not really a hard concept because our 2 party system is rear end

hows that party loyalty workin out for you? [turns ear towards you and cups it with hand]

no? thought so

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nah, it's because under first-past-the-post the plurality takes all so you ultimately whittle down the option to two viable options and a bunch of guys that'll never aggregate a plurality and therefore siphon votes from the big two.

• Locked thread