Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

(I accidentally posted this in the chat thread instead of here because there are too many stickies and they both had the words "Steam Sale" in them.)

I spent a good deal of money on the steam sale so far, but that was mostly because I had found a good deal on steam cards earlier in the year and stockpiled the goods until the appropriate time. And since I bought a bunch of weird, possibly overlooked indie games, I figured I'd try them right away and make a nice trip report.

First off is Pozzo Jello Crusade. I saw a few of my Steam friends buying it and talking it up a little. The screenshots look extremely weird so thought it was a little joke or whatever. Turns out its by Tales of Games and its a very competent if strangely put together puzzle game. The mechanics might be a little familiar to avid puzzle game players, a typical step on every special square to open the gate but you can only step on the squares once type game, but the challenge ramps up quickly and there are definite twists to it that I haven't seen before, I look forward to playing more of this.

Then I played Magicmaker, I've had this floating on my wishlist since it came out two years ago but I never pulled the trigger on it until today. Once again it looks a little slapshod but this game is pretty impressive, mostly I think because the dev hasn't abandoned it and has continually added new spell traits and customization options for the last two years. Its kinda surprising. I'll be playing more of this.

Last game I've tried so far is Neon Drive. Unlike the last two, this game looks and sounds amazing, also unlike the last two I didn't like it too much. Its a well polished rhythm game with that awesome 80s retro aesthetic, but I feel like I should be able to just chill and swerve around some obstacles occasionally, but the game is flat out difficult, and oftentimes not in an 'overcoming a challenge way' in more a 'you are going to have to memorize this segment through trial and error' type way. I can see myself returning to this, but it might not be for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

As is traditional, I'm handing out gifts on my birthday. Add me, and write the game up in the thread / ride the gift train in return.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/
Come on, I still have games left over.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Xander77 posted:

okey doke

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xander77 posted:

Xander gifted me Lovely Planet Arcade, which through intent or luck has been a great fit for me - this is a cute, simple FPS game where you go through small levels finding the enemies and shooting them before they shoot you. It's cute, it's quick and casual, and best of all you can't look up or down so it doesn't mess with my motion sickness. There also seems to be a decent amount of content - at least thirty levels in the first act, and there have been kinks thrown into the mix - friendlies you shouldn't shoot, areas of the ground that will kill you, and so on.

It's cute, it's clever, and it's only 1.49$ right now if you want to try it yourself! :D

kater
Nov 16, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

That's the slapdash single player stuff the game launched with. This is the proper story mode. Not that I'd recommend anyone buy SFV specifically for it.

That poo poo is worse than not existing really. Don't anything SFV.

Pigeotic posted:

I bought Trillion this sale, but I'm considering refunding it, the controls are atrocious. Didn't realize it was a vita port at first but it's really obvious in the first gameplay segment. The keyboard defaults to something ridiculous like ijko for action keys or something. So I plugged in a controller and at first I thought it wasn't registering my inputs but actually it was just because it was a vita port so the weirdly restrictive camera controls that (I guess) made sense on a tiny handheld just look stupid on my PC. And the tutorial segements all reference the buttons on a vita I think. Or maybe an xbox controller not sure. At any rate it requires keybinding everything yourself or a great deal of trial and error. Would not recommend buying.

Hmm. I wasn't going to try and play it with MKB so I hope this goes fine. Eh, it still seems like one of those PS2 games where they come up with anything premise to reuse their combat model over and over and I loved and want that. If it isn't what I think it is I can always refund it I guess.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm sure others will tell you differently but Wolfenstein New Order was badly paced and loaded with filler and the combat didn't really do anything to make up for it.

I ended up backing out. Was the one I was flimsiest on anyways and only really included it to hit $30. The idea of more FPS also seems really gross to me right now in a way I hadn't really considered. I wonder how much of the praise was just being thirsty for good shooters, cuz we're drowning in them now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mystic Stylez posted:

Such as? Just interested in recommendations.

Hard West. Same grim atmosphere, you can turn on an option that adds permanent injury effects, and while it's tough it's not bullshit - you always know what you did wrong. It's also got an interesting mechanic in Luck. Luck can be used to power very strong special abilities, or you can conserve it to give a chance that any non-automatic hit will miss - the cost is Luck equal to the chance of it hitting. Enemies have Luck too, which helps to create a cowboy shootout dynamic. Lastly, I like the way the story plays out as an episodic campaign and you're not always the good guys.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

That's the slapdash single player stuff the game launched with. This is the proper story mode. Not that I'd recommend anyone buy SFV specifically for it.

Well why the gently caress was that not included when I downloaded and installed it yesterday?! All the DLC that I paid for was, but that wasn't.

I would suspect that my original complaint stands. The single player sucks rear end and it doesn't really help you get good at the game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Xander77 posted:

We're already friends, but I'm happy to do a write-up. I mean fair warning - it'll probably be thinly-veiled dick jokes. But let's face it, if we're talking dicks they should be thinly-veiled.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gromit2096

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gromit posted:

We're already friends
No we're not.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Xander77 posted:

No we're not.

At first I thought you were just laying some hurtful truth on me, and then it turns out you're right!

e: and he slapped me with both a link to an amazing end-credits song on Youtube, and a copy of Broken Age! Happy birthday, Xmas and New Year matey!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 24, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I assume that Alpha Protocol isn't likely to get a bigger discount than 50%? Historical data says it has dropped to $2 before, but I assume that was during the flash sale days?

Games I've never played, The Witcher, Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs. I'm thinking about grabbing TW2 & JC2 because part 3 is still too expensive for my taste. Is 2 a better place to start or should I think about part 1 for either or both? What is great about SD?

Any thoughts on Helldivers?

Somebody talked up Craft the World. What makes it good? I've looked into it and I'm still on the fence.

Beholder looks interesting, but the reviews about janky game play and other issues have me holding off. Has anyone here played it?

Any strong suggestions for cheap fun multiplayer games?

Other stuff I'm grabbing, Pony Island, Braid, and Undertale.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Indolent Bastard posted:

I assume that Alpha Protocol isn't likely to get a bigger discount than 50%? Historical data says it has dropped to $2 before, but I assume that was during the flash sale days?

Games I've never played, The Witcher, Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs. I'm thinking about grabbing TW2 & JC2 because part 3 is still too expensive for my taste. Is 2 a better place to start or should I think about part 1 for either or both? What is great about SD?

Somebody talked up Craft the World. What makes it good? I've looked into it and I'm still on the fence.

Beholder looks interesting, but the reviews about janky game play and other issues have me holding off. Has anyone here played it?

The Witcher 1 exhibits some growing pains, and the story isn't super integrated into 2 and 3's. You'll learn everything you need to know in the prologue of 2 if you decide to skip 1, and no one will fault you for it.

Sleeping Dogs is GTA set in Hong Kong with a bigger focus on melee combat and otherwise emulating Hong Kong cinema. The characterization is cool and the gameplay elements are solid.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
Part 4

They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style
This Starry Midnight We Make - $1.99 (-80%) - simulation puzzler about guiding the growth of celestial objects
Reverse Crawl - $2.03 (-66%) - tactical rpg where you are "evil"
Shattered Planet - $2.24 (-85%) - isometric roguelike featuring short runs and progression
Bionic Dues - $2.29 (-77%) - tactical squad-based roguelike
Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered - $2.39 (-70%) - like Bookworm Adventures but with upgrades and challenges. Comes with the original version
1000 Amps - $2.49 (-50%) - monochromatic metroidvania
7th Guest & 11th Hour - $2.49 (-75%) - two FMV puzzle games from the 90's
A Game of Dwarves - $2.49 (-75%) - an action-orientated DF-alike
Din's Curse - $2.49 (-75%) - ARPG where a quest to "stop an impending invasion" will fail (and the invasion happens) if you take too long
Dwarfs!? - $2.49 (-75%) - arcade time-attack game - gain as much wealth and area as you can before your time runs out
eversion - $2.49 (-50%) - a cute platformer
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic - $2.49 (-50%) - puzzle game with a metric gently caress-ton of puzzles
GemCraft - Chasing Shadows - $2.49 (-75%) - TD game with lots of leeway in how you go about each levels. Many different levels and ways to challenge yourself
Heavy Bullets - $2.49 (-75%) - roguelike FPS where you only have six re-useable bullets
LOOP - $2.49 (-50%) - puzzle game about creating closed loops
Night Shift - $2.49 (-50%) - retro-styled driving puzzler
Paper Sorcerer - $2.49 (-50%) - old school western-style RPG
Pixel Galaxy - $2.49 (-75%) - bullet-hellish shmup, but that's okay - ram into into enemies to gain protection and their attack pattern
PixelJunk™ Eden - $2.49 (-75%) - abstract platformer with a good soundscape

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A warning to anyone who buys The 7th Guest - it isn't possible to complete the Microscope puzzle. The AI is only given a certain amount of time to make its move, but there's no cap on how fast it can calculate. This means when you play on a modern PC it has enough time to explore the entire game space, making it unbeatable. This wasn't a problem in the original version because the Microscope was the one optional puzzle in the game, but in the remake you have to complete it to unlock the Attic Door puzzle. Luckily you can skip the puzzle by starting it then abandoning it and visiting the hint book in the Library three times, but it's annoyingly time consuming and not everyone knows this can be done.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Indolent Bastard posted:

Get Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs and Alpha Protocol. Helldivers is good for MP but I'm not sure what the playerbase is like now.

The first two Witcher games have aged horribly and were already fairly mediocre to begin with.

Everything else you listed is all completely skippable.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

grrarg posted:

I'm in the mood for a turn-based dungeon crawler. Can anyone recommend one that isn't one of the usual suspects like Darkest Dungeon, Legend of Grimrock, Might & Magic X, or the Wizardries? I've played all of those.

Awww yeah, these are my jam baby. Some recommendations:

If you can tolerate some Anime art and aren't in this for the story I can second the recommendation for Stranger of Sword City. It's on par with Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land on the PS2 - one of my favorites in the style. Another selling point for me was that it was designed with a controller in mind so the controls for that don't suck rear end. I'm 25 hours in and about ~1/3rd of the way through.

Elminage Gothic is a cheaper option that also works on a controller fairly well. This one is harder to recommend unless your threshold for bullshit is as high as mine is. It tends to stick closer to the older Wizardry style so there is more shuffling things around in the inventory and things like buying mapping scrolls early on is a thing. The interface is also pretty clunky and makes no concessions to usability. It's a spruced up port of a PSP game so its a little ugly too if that matters to you.

That being said I still enjoyed it! The one thing I would recommend if you bite on it is look around online at the user community for balance patches. The game just loads up .csv files with a bunch of health values and whatnot and people have gone through and tweaked them to make the middle bits less bullshit and make grinding less required so highly encouraged to get one of those.

And lastly one I am sure won't get mentioned if I don''t do it but my special Eastern Block Presents recommendation:

The Quest is a janky rear end game with a hilariously 90's art style but it reminds me of something between Might and Magic 5-6 and the Betrayal at Krondor/Antara series. If you can tolerate some duct tape and getting lost I actually un-ironically enjoy this game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
General advice for people considering buying Fallout 4 or any other single player game with DLC:
Don't. Wait for the complete edition. Inevitably it will come, probably sooner than you think. And for 30€/$

This advice is especially important as publishers do not to reduce season passes any more before the goty is out. So either you play the game now, then wait for the season pass to be reduced only to forget about the plot e.g. and then to never really pick it up again. Or you buy it as Goty a bit later and then play it all at once for the full experience.

I know this is something everybody should be aware of but it is worth reminding people of.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider I know I will get this at some point, but I'm really hoping to get it for cheaper than $35. I was hoping Square would put on a sale, but apparently the only one I've seen them do is in Europe.

Gamestop had this around Black Friday for $15. Their website was under a heavy load and my order got messed up so I'm waiting on it to go on a deep sale again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to buy a full "pack" of games as a gift for someone? Whenever I look at a pack it is automatically customized for what I have in my inventory and the gift option is ghosted out, but I want to buy the full pack to give away.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

slidebite posted:

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to buy a full "pack" of games as a gift for someone? Whenever I look at a pack it is automatically customized for what I have in my inventory and the gift option is ghosted out, but I want to buy the full pack to give away.

Nope. It's to stop resellers from buying a game and flipping them. I wanted a 4 pack of something I owned to give out all 4 but I couldn't buy the multi pack and just had to give individual copies. Send them cash somehow and tell them what it's for.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks but that's too bad. My father-in-law is a completely hopeless on the computer and I wanted to buy him a couple of casual game packs for Christmas. :(

Maybe a Steam giftcard isn't a crazy idea I guess.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Invisible Inc is a blast. I've only played a handful of missions on beginner, which is going against everything I do in video games! Yet I'm still making blunders and muttering, "you're an idiot," so I guess beginner is helping me learn the ropes decently. I understood stealth was a major component of it going into it, but I didn't realize combat was discouraged to the degree it is. It's essentially a stealth XCOM with no option for engaging the enemy. Oh well, it's still really great!

The only other game I'm remotely interested in playing is Renowned Explorers. Can anyone comment if RE + II would be too much roguelike + xcomlike + rpglike? Also if I get RE should I pick up the expansion content too, if it's solid and adds features throughout the base game I'm more willing to get it than if it just tacks on a bunch of end game content.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Indolent Bastard posted:

The problem with Craft the World...well, the biggest problem with Craft the World is that in order to advance the tech tree you have to build a ton of poo poo you don't really ever want, and it takes a lot of time to do so and the dwarf AI is a bit loving dumb at times. I mean, when I say "build a ton of poo poo you don't really ever want," I'm talking about 2-4 hours of craft-grinding just so you can move on to building useful poo poo. And it doesn't really make sense, either. There's a logical transition from building wooden structures to building metal structures. There's not much for needing to learn to cook eggs and toast so you can build shields.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as i said on the list i recommend bot vice if you want a game like Wild Guns or NAM-1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Q8sD8qsXk

it's hard as heck and fun as poo poo

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Thanks but that's too bad. My father-in-law is a completely hopeless on the computer and I wanted to buy him a couple of casual game packs for Christmas. :(

There are usually goons around who will buy stuff for other goons across borders. Maybe someone in your country is willing to do the same for you (provided they don't have the games yet)? They can then gift it to you and you add it to your account as gift copies.
Problem solved.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Could I get some input?

I've already purchased:
Metro: Last Light Redux $3.99 (I already have LL but I'm doing the LP and I wanted the DLC).
Vermintide $8.25
Witcher 3 GOTYAY $17.59

For a total of $29.83, which leaves me with 20 bucks on my budget. What should I spend them on? (I know I don't have to spend them, but it's what I budgeted for).

Here's my Steam wishlist.

I'm heavily leaning towards Ori, but I would appreciate some second opinions.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

slidebite posted:

Open up a new Steam account for the purpose.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Here's my Steam wishlist.

I'm heavily leaning towards Ori, but I would appreciate some second opinions.
Shadowrun: HK and Broforce are the only two games on your list I played.

Shadowrun is heavily recommended, though if you only have 0.4 hours in Dragonfall, maybe play through that first and see how well you like the style / writing?

Unpopular opinion about Broforce - it's WAY more fun in co-op, but the co-op is also terribly optimized and glitchy as hell.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Any recommendation for the best starting place if I want to dip my toes in the Paradox/Grand Strategy type of game? Most of it is on sale, but I have no idea if there are some with lower complexity/learning curve than others.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In a couple of hours I'll sit at the Christmas table so I'd like to wish you all Merry X-Mas with family/friends/games :).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

In a couple of hours I'll sit at the Christmas table so I'd like to wish you all Merry X-Mas with family/friends/games :).

Are you drinking egg nog or just a darn good cup of coffee?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Why not both?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hopper posted:

General advice for people considering buying Fallout 4 or any other single player game with DLC:
Don't. Wait for the complete edition. Inevitably it will come, probably sooner than you think. And for 30€/$

This advice is especially important as publishers do not to reduce season passes any more before the goty is out. So either you play the game now, then wait for the season pass to be reduced only to forget about the plot e.g. and then to never really pick it up again. Or you buy it as Goty a bit later and then play it all at once for the full experience.

I know this is something everybody should be aware of but it is worth reminding people of.

Bethesda/Zenimax is especially bad at discounting DLC and season passes, which is why a game has to be good enough to buy at launch and be replayable multiple times for me to not wait for the GOTY. Fallout 4 did not cross the treshold, but gamersgate has Dishonored 2 for 30 euros so I pulled the trigger.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Actually I'm drinking some mulled wine :tipshat:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Gravy Jones posted:

Any recommendation for the best starting place if I want to dip my toes in the Paradox/Grand Strategy type of game? Most of it is on sale, but I have no idea if there are some with lower complexity/learning curve than others.

I've only played Stellaris, EU 3&4, and Crusader Kings 2. Of those, Stellaris is the most gentile learning curve. If you're looking at something more historical, I might have to say EU4. The thing to remember is Paradox pumps out so much DLC for these games that they often wind up becoming drastically different from what the base game was.

One thing CK2 has though is a fantastic tutorial/entertainment LP though, which is how I learned how to play. http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 24, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Infidel Castro posted:

One thing CK2 has though is a fantastic tutorial/entertainment LP though, which is how I learned how to play. http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Like you mentioned, that tutorial is horribly outdated now thanks to all the DLC that's been released since.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Palpek posted:

Actually I'm drinking some mulled wine :tipshat:

Mulled wine is the only drink worth drinking this time of year :D.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there a reason to buy the Metro Redux games if I own the originals? They already look gorgeous, how much better looking do they get?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Revol posted:

Is there a reason to buy the Metro Redux games if I own the originals? They already look gorgeous, how much better looking do they get?

You can find comparison videos, but I'd say it isn't worth rebuying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Indolent Bastard posted:

You can find comparison videos, but I'd say it isn't worth rebuying.

That's what I figured.

Any recommendations for Slime Rancher?

I really want to get Hyper Light Drifter, it seems like the perfect game for me. But I've tried it before, and I found the combat to be frustrating. I couldn't grasp it, it was too difficult. I'm thinking maybe I'm just missing something? This happened before with Salt and Sanctuary, at first I found combat to be frustrating, but then I started using a two-handed pike, and it clicked for me. Something like that won't work for Drifter, though, since you're always using that same weapon.

• Locked thread