Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Revol posted:

Is there a reason to buy the Metro Redux games if I own the originals? They already look gorgeous, how much better looking do they get?

I'd say 2033 Redux is worth buying, it looks (and plays) waaaaaay better than the original 2033. If you have LL, LL:Redux is only worth it for the DLC, there are no gameplay changes and the engine's graphical improvements are minimal over base LL.

/fake edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3xP8-4BRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's just a lot involved in how the weapon patterns work, the difference on charged attack patterns, and the stamina system allowing for blocking and shoving. It gets really important against Stormvermin (the armored rats that hit like trucks), large hordes, and the Rat Ogre. There's people that can run the game on the hardest difficulty with garbage tier beginner weapons and no trinkets.

Like my favorite character and loadout is the Dwarf with the Axe/Shield combo. Against Stormvermin, I go for shield bashes (charged attacks) when I can get in free strikes and follow up the stagger with ordinary strikes to the head while they're staggered. Depending on difficulty, I might have to then put up block, shove them away and dodge to the side to make sure I don't catch an overhead strike. Put me in a team of beginners against a Rat Ogre and there's a pretty strong chance they'll be dying on the ground by the end of the fight and I won't have been hit.

I don't mean that to pretend to be hot poo poo or anything. Just using it as an example that the melee system really gives back to those who learn it. But it's not super apparent right away because you can cruise through Easy and Normal difficulties just kind of waving a sword at roughly head height and being forgiven for mistakes by the absolute deluge of health items the director throws at you.

Little late on the reply, my apologies. Not wanting to extend beyond my return window, I didn't make it to anything past normal difficulty and you know what? Your description of the experience sounds exactly like what I didn't like (beyond the mechanic theft of a game I already love) which leads me to believe that perhaps I was too hasty. I will rebuy this when the funds hit my account. Thank you for your input, I'd hate to think I jumped the gun and missed a gem. Is the DLC worth it? I saw there was two extra areas I couldn't access.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 24, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Little late on the reply, my apologies. Not wanting to extend beyond my return window I didn't make it to anything past normal difficulty and you know what? Your description of the experience sounds exactly like what I didn't like (beyond the mechanic theft of a game I already love) which leads me to believe that perhaps I was too hasty. I will rebuy this when the funds hit my account. Thank you for your input, I'd hate to think I jumped the gun and missed a gem. Is the DLC worth it? I saw there was two extra areas I couldn't access.

Drachenfels is kind of uninspired. I haven't played Karak Azgaraz but the opinion seems to be universally that it is good and exciting.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Revol posted:

I really want to get Hyper Light Drifter, it seems like the perfect game for me. But I've tried it before, and I found the combat to be frustrating. I couldn't grasp it, it was too difficult. I'm thinking maybe I'm just missing something?

Dodges have no invincibility frames, so you have to dodge earlier and away from attacks rather than through them.

Also, go East first and do that boss, the upgrade you get after increases your damage output quite a bit.

It took awhile for the game to click for me too. I played it for ~2 hours, put it down for a couple months, then got totally sucked in and finished it within a week.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Could I get some input?

I've already purchased:
Metro: Last Light Redux $3.99 (I already have LL but I'm doing the LP and I wanted the DLC).
Vermintide $8.25
Witcher 3 GOTYAY $17.59

For a total of $29.83, which leaves me with 20 bucks on my budget. What should I spend them on? (I know I don't have to spend them, but it's what I budgeted for).

Here's my Steam wishlist.

I'm heavily leaning towards Ori, but I would appreciate some second opinions.

Honestly, no need to buy anything else. Ones you start on the witcher you have 200+ hours ahead of you. By that time it is the summer sale already.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I assume that Alpha Protocol isn't likely to get a bigger discount than 50%? Historical data says it has dropped to $2 before, but I assume that was during the flash sale days?

Gamestop has it for $1.74 right now, and it's one of my favorite games. 100% buy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thoughts on I Am Setsuna? I feel like someone has reviewed that here before. It appears to have Chrono Trigger inspired battle mechanics, which I am all for. No idea if the story is any decent.

It's either that or DOOM for me this year, and I hesitate on DOOM a bit from the demo. It runs well enough on my GTX 660 but I would much rather wait until I get a 1060 or something similar.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ragequit posted:

Thoughts on I Am Setsuna? I feel like someone has reviewed that here before. It appears to have Chrono Trigger inspired battle mechanics, which I am all for. No idea if the story is any decent.

It's either that or DOOM for me this year, and I hesitate on DOOM a bit from the demo. It runs well enough on my GTX 660 but I would much rather wait until I get a 1060 or something similar.

Setsuna is just mediocre on every level. The writing is super uneven and boring, the combat is... okay but nothing special and it just feels soulless overall.

Its not... bad but DOOM is definitely more worth your money.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ragequit posted:

I can confidently predict the consensus on this one - IAS is very bad, DOOM is very good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Revol posted:

Any recommendations for Slime Rancher?

I haven't played it since the newest patch but it's in Early Access and is super grindy. The current gameplay loop is basically find an area, run back and forth collecting slimes and food to make money, use the money to but better tools to collect more slimes and food to make more money. Progressing to new areas also requires either grinding out money or food to feed giant slimes that act as gatekeepers.

I'd wait, especially because the game has already been cheaper than it is now (it was in the Humble Monthly bundle a few months ago) so it's probably going to go on sale at an even bigger discount in the future when it's more complete.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

H13 posted:

Well why the gently caress was that not included when I downloaded and installed it yesterday?! All the DLC that I paid for was, but that wasn't.

I would suspect that my original complaint stands. The single player sucks rear end and it doesn't really help you get good at the game.

You have to opt into it presumably to save tournament setups from having to download a big glob of worthless cutscenes and audio files.

TBH, I poked around several of the FGs available on Steam and really very few of them do all that great of a job of helping you get good at the game. I think at the moment the reigning champs are Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator (with Sign close behind) and Skullgirls...and that's about it, really. I'd love to be wrong on this, but FGs just seem to love being inscrutable. Non-Steam-wise, Killer Instinct has a pretty good tutorial (that you can even play for completely free if you can deal with the Windows Store), but it's still a mess of demanding execution with very little feedback in the back half of it. Content-wise Mortal Kombat 9, 10, and Injustice have no shortage of stuff to do, but I'm not sure if that stuff really teaches so much as arbitrarily tests.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like how the Test of Time award is for games that are as good today as they were at the beginning, and one of the nominees is Team Fortress 2

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Witcher 3 GOTYAY $17.59

Where is the Witcher 3 goty $17.59?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Panama Red posted:

Before I do a refund, what do people think of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? It was a critical success but flopped when it came out. Today I learned that it was the one and only creation of a video game company founded by famed pitcher Curt Schilling, and when the game failed to break even (apparently it would have taken 3 million copies sold) it became the property of Rhode Island taxpayers because the company took out a loan from the Rhode Island government. Were the positive reviews and buzz around the game created by the company in the hopes of getting the game to break even, or did it just flop because it was an action RPG that came out around the same time as Skyrim?

The failure wasn't from the game, it was because Schilling, who was a huge Everquest nerd, was trying to make his Everquest Heartbreaker MMO and is extremely bad / dishonest with money.

Other posters mentioned that it was an already developing game that Schilling tried to relate to the MMO. A surprisingly large amount of the budget went to things like having D&D heartthrob R.A. Salvatore and spawn creator Todd McFarlane "consult" on the project. Their actual project, the MMO, was a trash fire and as things started to fail Schilling worked hard at hiding it from his employees. I think one of the worst things that happened was the company was supposed to sell houses of employees who relocated to work on the game, but never actually did it, so when the company collapsed a lot of employees suddenly had two mortgages instead of the one they were paying.

It's fun, but take the advice being given about Dragon Age: Inquisition. If you get bored, don't bother with side quests.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 24, 2016

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

Gravy Jones posted:

Any recommendation for the best starting place if I want to dip my toes in the Paradox/Grand Strategy type of game? Most of it is on sale, but I have no idea if there are some with lower complexity/learning curve than others.

i like victoria 2 more than the more popular games, it's only 5 bucks. honestly though, the factory system still kinda confuses me after 50 hours, but it's automated for most government types so its not a big deal.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

thatguyclint posted:

Gamestop has it for $1.74 right now, and it's one of my favorite games. 100% buy.

Bought. I mean, how can you pass that up?

I'll get Drifter, and wait on Slime Rancher. Right now, my cart is:

Hyper Light Drifter
Novus Inceptio - I'm a sucker for this type of game. The graphics look nice, reception looks nice, and it's a nice price, so...
Risk of Rain - Always been weary of this game, doesn't seem my type, but will finally bite the bullet and give it a shot
Medieval Engineers - I thought reception to this went bad, that develop had fallen off, but that doesn't seem to be true anymore. The concept looks amazing.
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - Played the original, it was good

And I've bought Alpha Protocol and Watch Dogs 2 elsewhere. Happy with WD2 so far, good improvement over the first. I enjoy the characters and tone, and it looks very nice.

Still unsure about getting Dishonored 2 at $30. I really want it, and I hear it's a great game, but still worried about the PC port.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Shadowrun is heavily recommended, though if you only have 0.4 hours in Dragonfall, maybe play through that first and see how well you like the style / writing?

Unpopular opinion about Broforce - it's WAY more fun in co-op, but the co-op is also terribly optimized and glitchy as hell.
Yeah, HK is in there because I remembered it existed, but I really need to play through Dragonfall.

Hopper posted:

Honestly, no need to buy anything else. Ones you start on the witcher you have 200+ hours ahead of you. By that time it is the summer sale already.
Hahaha, fair enough. If only it would finish downloading. :argh:

Modus Pwnens posted:

Where is the Witcher 3 goty $17.59?
GoG? I think I'm in another region though.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Today I bought 40 bottles of wine that normally sell for $30 apiece for a grand total of $40.

That's STILL not as good a deal as buying the Shadowrun games when they're this cheap. You can pretty much skip Returns, it's basically a proof-of-concept, but both Dragonfall and Hong Kong offer a hell of a lot of great RPG for a pittance.

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend a chromed out street samurai (and, I mean, you COULD play something other than a troll... I mean, it's a possibility in the game for some reason, but you really should play a troll) OR a really charismatic decker as your main PC, and then go back and play through again with the other guy for a near-totally different experience.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Merry Xmas goons! From browsing other folks wishlists and the discovery queue, I was intrigued by the following titles - any strong opinions on these?

1979 Revolution: Black Friday
Angels of Death
Beholder
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair
Event[0]
Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location
Furi
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine
Mad Father
Seasons after Fall

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I would also like to know about EDF 4.1. Im worried that it looks super grindy/RNG based. :ohdear:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
EDF 4.1 will dominate your life, especially if you play with buddies. Lots of toys, lots of missions, multiple difficulty levels and a bonkers story.

EDIT: Why Am I Dead At Sea is a cool murder mystery story. I figured I'd fire it up to check it out and I ended up 100% the whole thing, that's how hard it engrossed me.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 24, 2016

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Revol posted:

Bought. I mean, how can you pass that up?

I'll get Drifter, and wait on Slime Rancher. Right now, my cart is:

Hyper Light Drifter
Novus Inceptio - I'm a sucker for this type of game. The graphics look nice, reception looks nice, and it's a nice price, so...
Risk of Rain - Always been weary of this game, doesn't seem my type, but will finally bite the bullet and give it a shot
Medieval Engineers - I thought reception to this went bad, that develop had fallen off, but that doesn't seem to be true anymore. The concept looks amazing.
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - Played the original, it was good

And I've bought Alpha Protocol and Watch Dogs 2 elsewhere. Happy with WD2 so far, good improvement over the first. I enjoy the characters and tone, and it looks very nice.

Still unsure about getting Dishonored 2 at $30. I really want it, and I hear it's a great game, but still worried about the PC port.

I can recommend risk of rain, but play with a friend or 3

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

thatguyclint posted:

100% tried, but can't unless I have a US credit card and billing address. So annoying. Any American feeling generous? :ohdearsass:

E: I can paypal you back

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

I would also like to know about EDF 4.1. Im worried that it looks super grindy/RNG based. :ohdear:

You will have to replay levels to get lots of new weapon drops, but the gameplay is hella-fun, and unless you're trying to get a specific weapon, it's not really a problem. Finding weapon sets that work for your style is a good part of the fun.
If you just play through all 98 levels once you will get decent drops.
Co-op is the best way to play though, but you shouldn't have a problem finding goons, or even pubbies to play with. SP is fine as well, but it's much better to have buddies to review you should you roll into a swarm of MASSIVE BUGS!

Most goons I've played with really like the game, but it's not for everyone.

If you do get it, and want a co-op buddy, hit me up.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Setsuna is just mediocre on every level. The writing is super uneven and boring, the combat is... okay but nothing special and it just feels soulless overall.

Its not... bad but DOOM is definitely more worth your money.

Appreciate the responses. I knew DOOM is worth the money, but I would rather wait to play it on a :krad: video card. Bummer about Setsuna.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so I bought $51 of games and got 5 trading card things allegedly valued at $10 each because of it. Where do I find them and how do I sell them to people who will buy them or whatever?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Got my Steam Controller from Amazon and tried it for an hour.

Don't get it if you want a gamepad, the thumb buttons are terribly placed, instant wrist strain. I'm returning it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Revol posted:

Risk is, in my opinion, the best of the roguelike action games. At least of the ones I've played. I haven't gotten around to buying Gungeon yet.

But you will take a couple hours to click with it no matter. Before that it will beat your rear end.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
As a 6'-6" guy with huge hands, I find the Steam controller comfortable. YMMV.

Its a bit odd for FPS games. If I want to chill on the couch and play FO4, then I use a melee weapon or VATS. It's a good mouse/trackpad. I like it for match-3 games. Very chill.

But honestly I don't use it as much as I had hoped.

Great for that rocket soccer game!

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

betamax hipster posted:

Open up a new Steam account for the purpose.

Wait, would thus really work? I have a few extra steam accounts sitting around from my tf2 hat barony days. I could use them to gift people games I have that do the weird dynamic bumblebee pricing?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Lyrai posted:

Wait, would thus really work? I have a few extra steam accounts sitting around from my tf2 hat barony days. I could use them to gift people games I have that do the weird dynamic bumblebee pricing?

You buy them on the extra account, then give them the whole account. Not a great solution if they already have an account though(but they could then set-up steam family sharing between themselves to access everything from one account, but that gets more complicated)

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Revol posted:

Having just beat it, last night, it's...okay? I mean, don't get me wrong, the level design and stealth mechanics are top notch, and the clockwork mansion has probably been my favorite level this year (aside from DXMD's Palisade Bank). Still, it is a prime example of fantastic effort marred by poor story (in this case, photocopied from the original work and its DLC), compounded by godawful voice acting.

You will come to hate the Heart for every time you mistakenly pull it out instead of using Blink/Far Reach, and being reminded for the umpteenth time that you are "alone, save for a few allies."

Basically, get it if you loved the original game's design/art, and don't mind doing some more levels in that vein.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I've got a $10 Best Buy gift card that I'll willing to trade for a $5-$7.50 game. PM me if you're interested

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FYI. I am giving away ~400 steam videogames.

The rules for getting the videogames are in this thread on PGS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802816

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Addamere posted:

so I bought $51 of games and got 5 trading card things allegedly valued at $10 each because of it. Where do I find them and how do I sell them to people who will buy them or whatever?

HAHA, no, these holiday cards COST 10bux (or more accurately, you get a free one for every 10bux spent), they do not sell for 10bux. Cards are in your Inventory, you can go there and put them on the market but you'll be lucky to get .25 for 5 holiday cards. Also I hope you've set up 2fa on the Steam Mobile App otherwise there's like a 2 week wait before your cards will actually show up in the market, by which time these holiday cards will have blinked out of existence.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

I had some spare keys going to waste and this seems like the place to put them this time of year.

Consider me standing on the tracks throwing rocks at the windows as the gift train goes past...my metaphor kind of fell apart there but you get the idea!

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII
E%G72-*ZEFP-LTRI2

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER
&F04J-A8N0L-(RG3L

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER 2
V5A2D-%8W*7-JKI3H

TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD
*5W2V-T((68-BMJGN

Kings Quest Complete Collection
2E3BT-*D&F0-TMKTT

Abyss Odyssey (x2)
MT9JT-76J9K-&LN5T
BMZHZ-J%L7N-I96*0

Blackguards
5EG27-46B7D-D*K4H

Euro Truck Simulator 2
9E788-43LH3-&D9J&

Hatoful Boyfriend
7VAB4-GD3&4-00%96

Remember Me
G(&9R-A067N-&2NME

Besiege
T57TA-4%8BP-E2NHN

Lethal League
&PBVM-&&E7B-%36F9

SanctuaryRPG Black Edition
4HHH3-G5G&7-38AV4

Towerfall Acension
3N7DK-PV7WI-0EE%T

Valkyria Chronicles
WB473-T0BHF-%E497

Hitman Absolution
0HG6%-DARAW-09G6*

Startopia
ZD%R%-2(J7L-6H%(N

Long Live the Queen
66ABK-I*0%6-2RVTB

Key:

* = X
( = Y
& = C
% = Q

Apologies about the key thing but the bots are getting better. Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals.

Objective Action fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 25, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Objective Action posted:

I had some spare keys going to waste and this seems like the place to put them this time of year.

Consider me standing on the tracks throwing rocks at the windows as the gift train goes past...my metaphor kind of fell apart there but you get the idea!

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII
E%G72-*ZEFP-LTRI2

These are some good rear end games. I snagged FF13, because I've been staring at it for a while now on PS3 and I hear it is a Good JRPG. Thanks!

(go take some game from my thread)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Objective Action posted:

SanctuaryRPG Black Edition
4HHH3-G5G&7-38AV4

I took this one, I've been wanting to try it out for a while. Thanks!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Objective Action posted:

Kings Quest Complete Collection
2E3BT-*D&F0-TMKTT
thanks dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Objective Action posted:

Besiege
T57TA-4%8BP-E2NHN
Apologies about the key thing but the bots are getting better. Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals.

Grabbed this one, Thanks!

• Locked thread