Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kiffin hired Kendall briles as his OC in case you had forgotten why you hated Lane Kiffin pre Bama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MourningView posted:

Kiffin hired Kendall briles as his OC in case you had forgotten why you hated Lane Kiffin pre Bama
Thank u Lane i was afraid it would be us

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

Outlaw program

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's time

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

I'm glad.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Going back to this because I ain't talking about Rutgers football unless someone's putting money in my hand or a gun to my head:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who had the best at the bottom this year? SEC?

I'd say the Pac-12, tbh. Oregon fell the gently caress off but I'd take them over the Kansas/Missouris of the world. The South being varying degrees of mediocre helps and at least Arizona can move the ball. Could also make a decent argument for the ACC as well since BC managed to fail upwards and even Duke was within spitting distance of getting APR'd into a bowl.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

predictable

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shut up

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd say the Pac-12, tbh. Oregon fell the gently caress off but I'd take them over the Kansas/Missouris of the world.

Missouri was very bad this year, but this is unnecessarily cruel.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Going back to this because I ain't talking about Rutgers football unless someone's putting money in my hand or a gun to my head:

I'd say the Pac-12, tbh. Oregon fell the gently caress off but I'd take them over the Kansas/Missouris of the world. The South being varying degrees of mediocre helps and at least Arizona can move the ball. Could also make a decent argument for the ACC as T since BC managed to fail upwards and even Duke was within spitting distance of getting APR'd into a bowl.

The bottom of the Pac-12 had defenses that would probably give up at least 30 to Rutgers.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

CrumFUNist! posted:

The bottom of the Pac-12 had defenses that would probably give up at least 30 to Rutgers.

Hell, even Washington gave up 13 points to them. That alone should've disqualified them from the playoff IMO.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!

CrumFUNist! posted:

They had offenses that would put up 50 on Rutgers, though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

C. Everett Koop posted:

They had offenses that would put up 50 on Rutgers, though.

Everyone had offenses that could put up 50 on Rutgers.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kendall Briles is a good hire

Especially with florida leftovers talent. That + california leftovers looks similar to what made Oregon not suck poo for those couple years

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Especially with florida leftovers talent. That + california leftovers looks similar to what made Oregon not suck poo for those couple years

Schools like WVU and Louisville are gonna get wrecked by these developments at FAU and USF.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big money big clit posted:

Everyone had offenses that could put up 50 on Rutgers.

Not true!

pillsburysoldier posted:

thank you, Literal Rivals Poster

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView posted:

thank you, Literal Rivals Poster

This unironically put a damper on my christmas eve

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas would beat Rutgers by 20

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Texas lost to Kansas.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Texas lost to Kansas.

yeah but Kansas would beat Rutgers by 40

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Texas lost to Kansas.

I see two true statements here.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Texas lost to Kansas.

yeah but Kansas would beat Rutgers by 40

All true.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers actually beat Kansas by 13 in 2015.

The defense in 2016 was surprisingly competent. Well, they had good talent on the DL left over from Schiano. All of the DBs were sophomores because all of Kyle Flood's DBs got arrested and kicked off the team last summer, and all of the LBs were freshmen because Kyle Flood was a horrible recruiter. Field position and bad offense can really gently caress over a defense and that certainly happened this year. Think of the PSU game where the Rutgers defense really held its own for a long time. They were 71 in defense in S&P+ and 124 in offense, and that sounds about right. I actually think Jay Niemann is a really good DC who will start to get some buzz over the next few years.

The reason they were a 2 win team when they could have won 4+ in reality is they had the personnel for a boring Big Ten I formation offense, and Ash decided to burn it it all down to get started faster on the rebuild. Their best two players were two running backs who Ash largely benched because they didn't fit the spread, even though both tore poo poo up when they played and had two years of success. They lost their best WR by far to a fluke injury and had nothing to replace him with due to lovely recruiting by Flood.

I sure as poo poo don't know whether Ash will get it done, but he's recruiting much better, and is not a pathetic joke when it comes to team discipline - e.g., the new NCAA allegations which only scratch the surface of what Flood let happen. What gives me pause is he loving year zeroed it knowing how fragile things were. Kill seems a lot less extreme than Mehringer was scheme wise but definitely has his own problems.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Narduzzi is Harbaugh lite

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Komet posted:

Narduzzi is Harbaugh lite

Nah Pitt wins big games

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Raku posted:

Nah Pitt wins big games

PREPARE TO GET OWNED BY THE WILD CAT

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/jacobscourant/status/813407121362583552

Weird timing on this one.

Also, SBNation post with statement from school so I'm not just citing Twitter: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/26/14081412/bob-diaco-fired-uconn-out-as-head-coach

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 26, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean they were really bad this year but yeah that's late. He's still super young so if he goes back to being a DC somewhere and does well he can probably get another shot

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE CIVIL CONFLICT

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Diaco's failing was he hired a lot of really unqualified people to be assistants, mainly on the basis that they were his friends.

Speculation is they're going for Joe Moorhead, who used to be OC at UConn.

*looks around nervously*

It actually worked out ok for us on the defensive side of the ball, and Texas hired our horrible offensive coordinator.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Or he was a good OC trapped in an awful situation where it was impossible to succeed, which I'm sure Tom Herman can relate to.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also sounds like the top candidate at UConn is Joe Moorehead which is great for UConn and the Big Ten

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Or he was a good OC trapped in an awful situation where it was impossible to succeed, which I'm sure Tom Herman can relate to.

It was of his or Ash's making. Someone wouldn't play the team's best players because they weren't a schematic fit. Certainly he would have done better if they actually had personnel to run his offense. It's besides the point though. Ash, like Diaco, just hired a bunch of guys he was friends with who had no track record of success. At least with Ash it seems to have worked out on defense.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView posted:

Also sounds like the top candidate at UConn is Joe Moorehead which is great for UConn and the Big Ten

The Penn State coach who started railing against kida-these-days on twitter and lost like 3 commitments single-handedly?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

The Penn State coach who started railing against kida-these-days on twitter and lost like 3 commitments single-handedly?

no

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
As a UConn fan, I'm a bit surprised about Diaco's firing but it's hard to argue in favor of his record. He did, however have to contend with a team that had been absolutely ruined with a disastrous hire of retread Paul Pasqualoni. Storrs, Connecticut is also not a great location to make a great football team, so it's not like we can expect to win the American every other year. Frankly, this experiment of FBS UConn football may not be too feasible if the power FBS conferences keeps consolidating, especially if the ACC insists on acquiescing to Boston College's demand to shut UConn out of the conference.

Joe Moorhead would be great hire, but if he's unavailable I would be intrigued to look at an unconventional option like Jeff Monken, who has succeeded in tough areas before (does it get tougher than Army?) and brings a unique offense that might get UConn a few upsets.

I also haven't looked into Andrew Breiner, HC at Fordham. He's young and offensive-minded.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

pillsburysoldier posted:

I think you're talking about Aaron Moorhead, the WR coach at A&M.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The miami coach should be fired for mismanaging that bowl game.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Cnidario posted:

I think you're talking about Aaron Moorhead, the WR coach at A&M.

Yes thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Democrazy posted:

As a UConn fan, I'm a bit surprised about Diaco's firing but it's hard to argue in favor of his record. He did, however have to contend with a team that had been absolutely ruined with a disastrous hire of retread Paul Pasqualoni. Storrs, Connecticut is also not a great location to make a great football team, so it's not like we can expect to win the American every other year. Frankly, this experiment of FBS UConn football may not be too feasible if the power FBS conferences keeps consolidating, especially if the ACC insists on acquiescing to Boston College's demand to shut UConn out of the conference.

Joe Moorhead would be great hire, but if he's unavailable I would be intrigued to look at an unconventional option like Jeff Monken, who has succeeded in tough areas before (does it get tougher than Army?) and brings a unique offense that might get UConn a few upsets.

I also haven't looked into Andrew Breiner, HC at Fordham. He's young and offensive-minded.

Bring back Randy Edsall

He got to the Orange Bowl

• Locked thread