Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a sexual elk posted:

Hey i was raised in that shithole.

My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
San Diego sports section is very sad. Front page has two old guys all chargered up looking like their dog died.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

San Diego sports is very sad. dog died.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Elephanthead posted:

San Diego sports section is very sad. Front page has two old guys all chargered up looking like their dog died.

Yeah that bowl last night wasnt too good.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Maybe the chargers will be humble now and will go for the mission valley site

I can dream for a christmas miracle...

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Maybe the chargers will be humble now and will go for the mission valley site

I can dream for a christmas miracle...

Maybe Goodell will force Spanos to sell the team now that it's obvious the Chargers lineup is Rivers, Bosa, and a few teamsters they found in Chula Vista.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have never been to an NFL game, should I go to the pathetic last gasp of the Chargers next weekend?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

I have never been to an NFL game, should I go to the pathetic last gasp of the Chargers next weekend?

Become a SDSU fan, it'll probably be more fun to watch one of their games next year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bawfuls posted:

Only if you let us design a sign for you.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Become a SDSU fan, it'll probably be more fun to watch one of their games next year.

Rashad Penny is going to be a beast

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

WE WANT BAMA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I went to SDSU for grad school and have been to a handful of games. This year I saw the Aztecs beat Cal and it was a grand drunken time.

I was in school there when Kawhi was tearing up the Mountain West and we had to wait overnight to get student tickets to basketball games.

Chichevache posted:

I'd be down for this, but if I go it'll be up in the nosebleeds so I doubt the SAS sign is getting on tv.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 25, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to watch Qualcomm get imploded.

Build a college/MLS stadium and more SDSU campus and lets never speak of the Chargers ever again. Imho.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I have a ticket to that game in a great location: plaza level near the Chargers team entrance. I have no intention of going, so if you want it, I'm willing to work out a way to get it to you this week.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

shirts and skins posted:

Agreed. The city has made noise about making them change the name if they move in though.

Snyder tried for years to make FedEx as inaccessible as possible, even barring people from walking in from Metro/off-site parking until he lost a suit over it. But, it turns out, when you make it a pain in the rear end to get to your stadium, people don't want to go! Crazy stuff.

Are there any articles that easily explain this story?

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

AsInHowe posted:

Not too in depth, but this article has a bit about it:

quote:

Safety: Bogus excuse used to get a ban on pedestrian traffic into FedExField on game days in 2000. After a class action lawsuit alleged that the ban was really intended to increase parking revenues at the stadium, the ban was overturned. In 2007, Snyder again cited safety to get offsite parking banned by the town council in Agawam, Mass., home of Six Flags New England. Parking rates at the theme park tripled after his 2005 takeover of Six Flags. When the Agawam council learned about the earlier pedestrian-safety controversy at FedEx, it undid the ban.

Other highlights:

quote:

Bankrupt Airline Peanuts: What Snyder was selling to fans at FedExField. During the 2006 season, vendors offered shelled nuts in royal blue and white 5 oz. bags adorned with the Independence Air logo. Problem: The airline had gone under about a year earlier. The supplier told Washington City Paper that it stopped shipping the airline’s nuts “before Independence Air went out of business.” A spokesman for the Peanut Council told City Paper that to prevent rancidity, the recommended shelf life of a foil bag of out-of-shell peanuts was “about three months.”

quote:

“Ewwwww!”: How Barbara Hyde, spokeswoman for the American Society for Microbiology, reacted to last year’s news that Snyder’s vendors were selling beer in the bathrooms. Fans had been alleging that the Redskins were hawking lager in the loo long before a YouTube video surfaced in October 2009. Hyde said that because microbiological bad actors like E. coli hang out in the men’s room, beer vendors shouldn’t.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

AsInHowe posted:

Decent recap of the issue on Deadspin this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com/the-atlanta-braves-borrowed-their-parking-scam-from-dan-1783149400/amp?client=ms-android-google

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

dear dean spanos,

If you're not the one for me
Then I'll come back and bring you to your knees
If you're not the one for me
Why do I hate the idea of being free?
And if I'm not the one for you
You've gotta stop holding me the way you do
Oh when you found that the one for you
Why have we been through what we have been through

It's so cold out here in your wilderness
I want you to be my keeper
But not if you are so reckless

If you're gonna let me down, let me down gently
Don't pretend that you don't want me
Our love ain't water under the bridge
Say that our love ain't water under the bridge

What are you waiting for?
You never seem to make it through the door
And who are you hiding from?
It ain't no life to live like you're on the run
Have I ever asked for much?
The only thing that I want is your love

It's so cold in your wilderness
I want you to be my keeper
But not if you are so reckless

Say it ain't so, say it ain't so

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
When is the date that the LA offer voids for the Chargers and moves onto the Raiders?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

When is the date that the LA offer voids for the Chargers and moves onto the Raiders?

January 15th is the Chargers deadline

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm expecting the most Spanos thing in the world, which would be the announcement coming the night of the 14th

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm expecting the most Spanos thing in the world, which would be the announcement coming the night of the 14th

the announcement that they had tried in good faith to extend the deadline, but the other parties denied them, and more news will be coming shortly

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Could Spanos just dissolve the team? Say "Na, just no more chargers"?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

Almost definitely not. The NFL franchise has value and he would sell it if he didn't want it any more, but even if he was a literal crazy person and decided he didn't need all that money, the NFL can probably yank the franchise from an owner who tries to shut down the organization and not run the team.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
yeah the NFL would force him to sell, i'm sure

just like they do to jimmy haslam every night in my dreams

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Spanos, in one last ditch effort to save himself any further humiliation, will let let Joey Bosa's agent make the announcement on behalf of the Chargers organization.

JPrime posted:

Nah, the NFL would simply take over the team on behalf of The Shield™, negotiate a quick sale, and give Spanos whatever percentage of the sale he is owed (unless they just liquidate his stock). Since the city owns Qualcomm, Spanos has no leverage to keep the NFL from claiming the team, especially if any other ownership is told they are being given an opportunity to buy Spanos' stock at reduced market value.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zurreco posted:

Spanos, in one last ditch effort to save himself any further humiliation, will let let Joey Bosa's agent make the announcement on behalf of the Chargers organization.

Nah, the NFL would simply take over the team on behalf of The Shield™, negotiate a quick sale, and give Spanos whatever percentage of the sale he is owed (unless they just liquidate his stock). Since the city owns Qualcomm, Spanos has no leverage to keep the NFL from claiming the team, especially if any other ownership is told they are being given an opportunity to buy Spanos' stock at reduced market value.

Can we give Donald Trump the Chargers in exchange for not being President? since I'm pretty sure he only ran as part of a long con to eventually own an NFL team.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

v2vian man posted:

the announcement that they had tried in good faith to extend the deadline, but the other parties denied them, and more news will be coming shortly

11:59 they post a tweet saying they're going to LA, with an attached link to the wrong URL announcement

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

v2vian man posted:

yeah the NFL would force him to sell, i'm sure

just like they do to jimmy haslam every night in my dreams

2017 might be the year that Haslam is able to sell browns! :smugdon:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

January 15th is the Chargers deadline

i cant wait

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I can't wait for FOX 11 to force us to watch bad Rams football.

I can't wait for CBS 2 to force us to watch bad Bolts ball.

The worst is yet to come.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

I can't wait for FOX 11 to force us to watch bad Rams football.

I can't wait for CBS 2 to force us to watch bad Bolts ball.

The worst is yet to come.

long con to sell more sunday ticket packages because the in-market games are crap

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/816753897838616581
https://twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/816883684250828800

Lots of Raiders/Chargers relocation talk out there the last 24 hours:

Raiders would relinquish the rights to L.A. and the owners will vote for the Vegas relocation. Talk is still that they would stay in Oakland for at least two years (I don't buy it), but could move to Sam Boyd stadium (which would add seats and renovate the locker rooms) if the NFL prefers they leave the Oakland market immediately. If this happens, those early season games in Vegas would be ridiculously hot.

Chargers would maintain rights to L.A. but would continue to try and get a stadium done with San Diego with the NFL potentially offering to bridge a deal (100-200 million). This would be paid back over 10-20 years, like a relocation fee. Hopes would be to get a stadium deal done in 2018, if not they would then relocate to L.A., and re-brand the team.

NFL/CBS would broadcast Raider games in the L.A. market for AT LEAST two years as a defacto home market team. This could go longer depending on what happens with the Chargers.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Chris James 2 posted:

Hopes would be to get a stadium deal done in 2018, if not they would then relocate to L.A., and re-brand the team.

gently caress this team. Take the loving noose off my neck, Dean. I won't root for these clowns until a deal is done.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ughhhhh just loving MOVE or DON'T

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rebranding the chargers is the worst idea.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, after all the talk about the Jags moving a few years ago, it's weird like 3 teams have/will be moving, and none of them are the Jags. :yaycloud:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

They won't have a fanbase if they move to LA anyways, might as well start fresh

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

If they rebrand the team they can eventually bring an expansion team back to San Diego as the Chargers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Akileese posted:

If they rebrand the team they can eventually bring an expansion team back to San Diego as the Chargers.

That's never ever going to happen

• Locked thread