Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mymla posted:

Remove all healing, give supports other abilities to compensate, remove mercy, rework reinhardt and remove his shield, or just heavily nerf his shield, and overwatch will be a much better game to both watch and play.

I don't think I want to play your overwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

is there no healing in dota is that why everyone's out for removing it from the game to make it more engaging all of a sudden

There's no healing in csgo, which is a much better game to compare overwatch to.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cowcaster posted:

is there no healing in dota is that why everyone's out for removing it from the game to make it more engaging all of a sudden

No, there's plenty of healing in Dota. Some heroes have healing as an ancillary effect, some are just straight up designed to bomb heals into people.

There's one hero who is a tiny skeleton who literally vomits health into people, from his jawless skeleton mouth. He's great.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Efexeye posted:

i bully the poo poo out of people (mainly Reinhardts and DVas) with Lucio with the doot on the cart and on points with chasms, you don't have to pay him passively. you should also be using the speed boost to keep everybody close to the front lines whenever no one needs heals

I mean I might not be up on the nuances of speed boost versus heal boost but I know for a fact that the most effective lucio is one who makes sure his auras are hitting everyone on his team and spending his time not getting picked off

if you're diving in with fartbombs and wall skating so no one can hit you and doing awesome that's not because lucio is good at doing other things besides being a support that's because you're playing against really crummy people or with extremely good people

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

playing lucio involves a lot of managing your aura and trying not to die. you can do some fun stuff with him (you'd be surprised at what you can do with the wall riding if you can get good at it), but lucio's not your guy if you want a mechanically challenging hero

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

on the wallriding specifically I do think it's one of those things that's heavily influenced by whether you're playing on a console or pc because while there's some specific places you can get really erratic patterns going (like the pole dancing point on lijang tower, or on any payload) some people act like if you're wallriding you somehow become an impossible to hit target and I can only imagine that being the case if you're aiming with a thumbstick

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mymla posted:

There's no healing in csgo, which is a much better game to compare overwatch to.

Nnnnnot really?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

on the wallriding specifically I do think it's one of those things that's heavily influenced by whether you're playing on a console or pc because while there's some specific places you can get really erratic patterns going (like the pole dancing point on lijang tower, or on any payload) some people act like if you're wallriding you somehow become an impossible to hit target and I can only imagine that being the case if you're aiming with a thumbstick

I don't have the links but there was some lucio main on console that posted some videos of crazy wall ride shenanigans and a bunch of people commented on his video like you did, so he bought the game on pc and went straight to grandmaster doing the exact same thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't have the links but there was some lucio main on console that posted some videos of crazy wall ride shenanigans and a bunch of people commented on his video like you did, so he bought the game on pc and went straight to grandmaster doing the exact same thing

well I'd love a link to that if you find one then

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're in the tryhard thread somewhere, I'm sure if you ask for them someone will know what you're talking about

e: o or someone can post it right now, that works too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think I want to play your overwatch
You don't want to play a faster, more aggressive overwatch?

Pomp posted:

4e is literally the only good version of d&d
yeah

just play Mouse Guard anyways though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure why people have the decided the solution is No Healing Ever not in the least because if you removed any form of heal-other it would disproportionately benefit the characters who have the ability to self-heal. (Not to mention Soldier 76, though I assume you'd remove his healnade too.)

And if you remove all healing self-and-otherwise ever then you're disproportionately benefiting characters who have mobility enough to control health packs and really screwing over characters who don't.

IronicDongz posted:

Not particularly, no. I enjoy the combination of skills and abilities and the ability to play roles beyond SHOOT MANS BEST. There are countless other games (including better ones) which are focused entirely on pure twitch skill. Overwatch's appeal to me is in having roles I can play beyond straight shootmans.

There are places Overwatch could improve but they're not in removing all healing and making characters into combat wombats because you, personally, don't like playing supports.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 25, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
He (DSPStanky) also streams on twitch and his Lucio play is completely insane.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

yeah

That's different from trying to compare Overwatch to CSGO and saying the former should be more like the latter. Despite both being FPSes the two aren't really alike.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 25, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ImpAtom posted:

There are places Overwatch could improve but they're not in removing all healing and making characters into combat wombats because you, personally, don't like playing supports.
I like playing supports, but I would at least wanna try a crazy experimental no healing overwatch!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i want to try an overwatch where all the damage dealing is taken out and you exclusively bump or temp disable other heroes

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

I like playing supports, but I would at least wanna try a crazy experimental no healing overwatch!

That's called solo queue quickplay.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would be more inclined to play Mercy even if all they did was remove her staff and res. Just keep the actually fun parts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 25, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

chumbler posted:

I would be more inclined to play Mercy even if all they did was remove her staff and res. Just keep the actually fun parts.

so she would just fly around and shoot people with her pistol?

...yeah okay i see your point

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

so she would just fly around and shoot people with her pistol?

...yeah okay i see your point

And people wouldn't whine when you aren't holding down the heal beam button.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cowcaster posted:

Someone already posted the DSPstanky video, but have this video of an aggresive Lucio dealing with an enemy Widow on the first CP in Hanamura:

https://giant.gfycat.com/OptimalConfusedBunting.webm

I don't have any recorded footage, but my stack has seen me pull off some cool poo poo with Lucio :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 25, 2016

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I first thought Lucio was really boring but you can definitely chase low health players or catch them unaware. If I'm having a good day I can contest points till my team comes back. on my own without the enemy hitting me. It's really exciting.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teagone posted:

Someone already posted the DSPstanky video, but have this video of an aggresive Lucio dealing with an enemy Widow on the first CP in Hanamura:

I don't have any recorded footage, but my stack has seen me pull off some cool poo poo with Lucio :)

that sure is a lot of time playing horribly by giving your team zero auras. its flashy and cool but still bad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Knocking people off the map will never not be cool

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blinky2099 posted:

that sure is a lot of time playing horribly by giving your team zero auras. its flashy and cool but still bad

Context I suppose. Maybe the dude's team was getting destroyed by the Widow and no one could do anything about it but him! I posted it as more a display of what Lucio can do in terms of wall riding anyways.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Blinky2099 posted:

Getting a key pick is never bad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blinky2099 posted:

Ultimately, the problem with Lucio is that his most optimal pattern of play is also the dullest, least interactive one (remaining in LoS of as many allies as possible and spamming a choke to progressively build ult).

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

This is such a good video.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Also, the free loot boxes hooked it up,

https://streamable.com/9k4a5

https://streamable.com/2jh8g

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mymla posted:

Getting a key pick is never bad.
it's bad when the decision making process you took to get there was bad. yes it happened to work out, no his play was not good.
1) he's not healing teammates, bad
2) he has no idea that the widow is that low. even if he did know she's that low, she could have easily been healed through the rear window by an ally and then you're just walking straight into a widow at full health with 0 opportunity to kill her. you knock her off and now what exactly, you're stuck in a poo poo situation with your teammates all dead cause you weren't healing them (and half of them are currently dead anyway)

Vermain posted:

Ultimately, the problem with Lucio is that his most optimal pattern of play is also the dullest, least interactive one (remaining in LoS of as many allies as possible and spamming a choke to progressively build ult).

agreed

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The only time I've ever truly had fun while healing was playing as a disciple of khaine in warhammer age of reckoning

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A. Lucio is generally the best character to be at any given time.
B. Lucio's melee attack is just as good as 93% of the rest of the character casts' melee attacks.

Ergo meleeing people as Lucio is never wrong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blinky2099 posted:

it's bad when the decision making process you took to get there was bad. yes it happened to work out, no his play was not good.
1) he's not healing teammates, bad
2) he has no idea that the widow is that low. even if he did know she's that low, she could have easily been healed through the rear window by an ally and then you're just walking straight into a widow at full health with 0 opportunity to kill her. you knock her off and now what exactly, you're stuck in a poo poo situation with your teammates all dead cause you weren't healing them (and half of them are currently dead anyway)

It's not something I'd try in a competitive match if put in the same situation on the first point of Hanamura on attack, but it'd be fun to try and do in QP to help break the monotony of Lucio's inherent passive play.

[edit] Tracking down the source of that gfycat on Reddit, the OP said the same thing basically. Heh. https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5iqwgp/okay_guys_ill_kill_widowmaker_while_the_rest_of/

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 25, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

easily my favorite OW video. That dude is just on another level.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Call me crazy, but if he really wasn't contributing to his team at all by doing all that in the video wouldn't he never have climbed the ladder as far as he did?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'm at work will those boxes still be there when I got off at midnight?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

Call me crazy, but if he really wasn't contributing to his team at all by doing all that in the video wouldn't he never have climbed the ladder as far as he did?

You can see he frequently had 4+ people in his aura while dancing around. A lot of the times he was solo he was holding a point, presumably after a team wipe.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I'm at work will those boxes still be there when I got off at midnight?

Yes, you have until January 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think removing healers makes the game a lot less interesting from a team roles perspective. It becomes much more "focus this guy, focus that guy" without them. Ana is too good and Lucio's speed boost is too good in a game where almost all characters move at the same speed otherwise

flatluigi posted:

It looked like he was healing his team when it was needed. He's just also very good at leveraging Lucio's movement abilities to make himself extremely hard to hit even when actively participating in combat or diving in for picks.

I do agree though that for people who aren't absolute gods optimal Lucio play is very passive and boring.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 25, 2016