Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I had the same experience. I was right at that age where I was starting to absorb myriad philosophies and comparative religion studies and a satire of Roman Catholicism was extremely my poo poo. There's things I liked about it (Affleck, Damon, and Rickman) but I couldn't shake the sense I was watching rehearsal footage instead of a finished movie. It didn't help that Fiorentino was so obviously bored with the whole thing and even at the time a lot of the satire fell flat.

My usual walk-away feeling of a Smith movie is "flat".

Dogma is, on paper, an epic. Fallen angels defying a missing God for their own path towards immortality, a woman chosen to save all of existence from the apocalypse, with the devil/demons trying to interfere, all during a road movie.

However, none of this comes across. Road movies imply travel, which there is none. There's no propulsion, movement, driving force. I don't feel like I'm following anyone, or going anywhere. I feel like the scene ends and they built a new scene when I wasn't looking. Demons should imply danger, but they're just hockey kids that whack people with sticks, or poop monsters that just fall apart, or Jason Lee being smarmy. The battle for heaven and hell and existence? It's a colorless scene set in an urban environment. Climactic battle? Shooting some wings and then a quick stab. Denouement? Alanis Morissette honking the bored protagonists nose and Alan Rickman being charming despite everything.

Nothing has weight. Nothing moves. It's stagnant.

The real hero is Alan Rickman, because he's the strongest part of the movie.

edit: Also, gently caress Kevin Smith for getting Selma Hiyack to do his movie, and saying "You know how you did a strip tease during From Dusk 'Til Dawn just three years ago, and how it was super popular and everyone loved it? I want you to do the same thing, another strip tease, but this time you're an angel instead of a vampire." Dude can't be original to save his dick.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Buddy Christ isn't funny and was never funny and my friends who thought it was funny were like pod-people. George Carlin delivering your lame satire doesn't make it not lame.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always wondered, because they did a decent job of appropriating Carlin's voice - did Carlin do his own material for Dogma, or did he just put his stink on Kevin Smith's writing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And it sure wasn't about money. Prophecy is the b-moviest b-movie ever, and there are some shots, and a scope, that is astounding. Dogma has some good dialogue (diatribes) I guess...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know how to stop the "preview/autoplay" that Netflix seems to have recently rolled out in the Roku? It used to be just the highlighted feature at the top of the menu. But now it starts to play every goddamn video in the main menu if you pause on it for more than four seconds. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was a good idea though? I love it.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Do you think Yoga Hosers is just a vanity movie Kevin Smith made for Johnny Depp's daughter, like that producer who filmed Friday for Rebecca Black's parents?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only good thing I can say about Smith is that when he named his child after a comic book character, the character was simply a goofy cartoon character voiced by Arleen Sorkin who wore a frumpy harlequin suit. The weird sex stuff came later, as far as I know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Do you think Yoga Hosers is just a vanity movie Kevin Smith made for Johnny Depp's daughter, like that producer who filmed Friday for Rebecca Black's parents?

Rebecca Black's parents paid serious cash for that guy to write a song for their child and then have him film it. That was his job, I'm pretty sure. "Chinese Food" and "My Jeans" are identical to "Friday."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

... isn't it a vanity project for his daughter?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any conceivable way I can watch Planet Earth 2 online legitimately? Wouldn't mind spending a few dollars if it meant I could watch it on my own time instead of having to have able and praying that I'm free during that hour its on.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Woody Allen's Cafe Society has been added to Prime.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dali Parton posted:

Any conceivable way I can watch Planet Earth 2 online legitimately? Wouldn't mind spending a few dollars if it meant I could watch it on my own time instead of having to have able and praying that I'm free during that hour its on.

When it starts airing in the US, it should theoretically be available for purchase/rental on Amazon video. They have the first season, so I don't see why they wouldnt get the second.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix will also undoubtedly get it, if not sooner then later. They have season 1 and most of the premier BBC stuff, some of which they have exclusively.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Franchescanado posted:

My usual walk-away feeling of a Smith movie is "flat".

Dogma is, on paper, an epic. Fallen angels defying a missing God for their own path towards immortality, a woman chosen to save all of existence from the apocalypse, with the devil/demons trying to interfere, all during a road movie.

However, none of this comes across. Road movies imply travel, which there is none. There's no propulsion, movement, driving force. I don't feel like I'm following anyone, or going anywhere. I feel like the scene ends and they built a new scene when I wasn't looking. Demons should imply danger, but they're just hockey kids that whack people with sticks, or poop monsters that just fall apart, or Jason Lee being smarmy. The battle for heaven and hell and existence? It's a colorless scene set in an urban environment. Climactic battle? Shooting some wings and then a quick stab. Denouement? Alanis Morissette honking the bored protagonists nose and Alan Rickman being charming despite everything.

Nothing has weight. Nothing moves. It's stagnant.

The real hero is Alan Rickman, because he's the strongest part of the movie.

edit: Also, gently caress Kevin Smith for getting Selma Hiyack to do his movie, and saying "You know how you did a strip tease during From Dusk 'Til Dawn just three years ago, and how it was super popular and everyone loved it? I want you to do the same thing, another strip tease, but this time you're an angel instead of a vampire." Dude can't be original to save his dick.

If you can't laugh at a demon loving air conditioning joke I feel so bad for you.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is Magic City any good? Seems like it could do some cool stuff with the Trafficante mob and all the Kennedy administration shenanigans in Cuba with that setting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sense8 Christmas/Episode 1 of Season Two is out. Episode 2 (and the rest of Season 2) is in May for gently caress's sake. Episode still owns.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Rebecca Black's parents paid serious cash for that guy to write a song for their child and then have him film it. That was his job, I'm pretty sure. "Chinese Food" and "My Jeans" are identical to "Friday."

That's exactly what I thought might have happened: Johnny Depp paid Kevin Smith to make a movie starring his daughter.

But I didn't realize

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... isn't it a vanity project for his daughter?

Kevin Smith's daughter was also in the movie.

As a sidebar, I thought the camera's male gaze was a little creepy for a movie about two 17 year olds, let alone one starring the director's daughter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's probably safe to say Smith and Depp are buddies. Lord knows depp didn't have any reason he needed to be in Tusk.

They probably bonded because Depp likes acting in terrible movies and Smith loves making them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

As a sidebar, I thought the camera's male gaze was a little creepy for a movie about two 17 year olds, let alone one starring the director's daughter.

"A little creepy"? It's a lot creepy. And I'm just saying that from the scenes in the trailer alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When did The Expanse go up on Prime? Been waiting forever to stream it and just saw it when I was flipping through.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When did The Expanse go up on Prime? Been waiting forever to stream it and just saw it when I was flipping through.

Apparently today, because when I wanted to watch it last night it was only up for rental/purchase. Well I know what I'm watching tonight!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

precision posted:

Well I know what I'm watching tonight!

Travelers?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's probably safe to say Smith and Depp are buddies. Lord knows depp didn't have any reason he needed to be in Tusk.

They probably bonded because Depp likes acting in terrible movies and Smith loves making them.

I think once you reach a certain level that's all you need. Johnny Depp was already successful, but really had his ticket punched by a movie based on a theme park ride for Pete's sake and can do whatever he wants. Kevin Smith has a standing invitation to every comic book and sci fi festival. See also: the Sandler gang that apparently film their "comedies" at locations where they want to spend the summer.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

are any new happy madison movies watchable

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I had never heard of Too Late before but I saw it on Netflix new releases and it's a crime noir starring John Hawkes so I had to watch it. It's pretty drat good, a 1 1/2 hour movie shot in 5 long-take single scenes (not all are true long-takes but they're made to look that way). There's some very interesting camera work and some of the dialogue is great and the rest sucks. It's quite Tarantino-esque, with long takes, irreverent conversation, a non-sequential storyline, and a well-done gritty feel. The first segment is by far the weakest because it's poorly scripted and the actors aren't as good as everyone else in the movie, and if you can make it through that the rest of the movie is much better.

Watch Too Late if you like John Hawkes, excellent camera work, Jeff Fahey, lady butts, Robert Forster, and crime noir in general

Don't watch Too Late if you detest movies that ape Tarantino's work too much or don't have the patience for a series of 15-20 minute long takes

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 24, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A MIRACLE posted:

are any new happy madison movies watchable

Most of them are actually watchable because they do enter into this spectrum of trashy where the latitude for absurdity and pitch black humor goes way up; but they inevitably devolve, like most mainstream comedies, towards the same melodramatic/romantic-comic conclusion, with commodities literally being a foundation of happiness and reward. They also tend to look much blander than, say, Super Troopers, even.

Overall, though, with stuff like Pixels, The Ridiculous 6, the Paul Blart franchise, and The Do-Over, the company's made a very distinct push away from the stereotype of them as "summer camp" comedies, to being just bland-looking action-comedies. The Ridiculous 6 is at least as successful (or, as under-realized) as Steven Chow's The Mermaid - and Pixels is actually funnier than Ghostbusters '16.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Did you see The Do-Over?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Split Screen, the old IFC show by John Pierson, is up on FilmStruck. They're doing a tiered roll out. 6 episodes every 6 weeks and they've seem to have gotten John Pierson to shoot a new intro explaining each 6 episodes.

quote:

1. Spike Lee, the Real “Fargo,” Waters Shocks

Spike Lee’s first decade, John Pierson and Bob the Mailman, “Hang Your Dog in the Wind” (the movie about making movies), the real “Fargo,” Brainerd, MN, and the Gruesome Twosome: an encounter with John Waters and Herschell Gordon Lewis. Original air date: 03/10/1997

2. Linklater & Bogosian in NYC, Duct Town

Richard Linklater and Eric Bogosian at the New York Film Festival with their film “SubUrbia,” Linklater’s first film “It’s Impossible to Learn to Plow By Reading Books,” and a trip to North Reading, MA – Duct Town. Original air date: 03/10/1997

3. Kevin and “Crumb” at the Quickstop

Kevin Smith and John co-host from New Jersey, a visit with “Crumb” director Terry Zwigoff at home, found video “Direction Man,” director Chris Smith and “Making Northwestern” with Mark Borchardt. Original airdate: 3/17/1997

4. Sundance on the Hudson

Bob the Mailman in LA, insights from filmmakers at the Cold Spring, NY Film Workshop, Marina Zenovich explores the January film alternatives in Park City, UT, the home of the Sun, Slam and Slum Dance Festivals. Original airdate: 3/24/1997

5. Breakthrough Screenwriting

Brian Flemming and Keythe Farley take a weekend “blockbuster” screenwriting course and make a film. Directors Mary Harron and Katherine Dieckmann, both 9 months pregnant discuss their altered state with Guinevere Turner. Original airdate: 06/02/1997

6. PROJECTIONS: Harmony Korine

In this installment of PROJECTIONS, a series of interviews about filmmaking in New York, John Pierson speaks one-on-one with filmmaker Harmony Korine. Original airdate: 10/23/2000

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Barely made it through the first episode of Travelers. Bad pacing, horrible dialogue. Not watching any more of this as I feel it's probably gonna be worse than The OA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remembered subUrbia but not that Linklater directed it, nor that Bogosian wrote it. What a forgettable movie. Great soundtrack though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMqFJgomWU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I suppose some people in the thread might want to make use of this. Rent any movie through Amazon for just $0.99.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
On that note, what's something to watch that's cynical as hell but also fun. Something that's downright gleeful about the unrepentant horribleness going on.

The Wolf of Wall Street, The Guest, or Fallen (1998) would all be good examples.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
10 Things I Hate About You is on Netflix. That movie is why I still have a crush on Julia Stiles.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On that note, what's something to watch that's cynical as hell but also fun. Something that's downright gleeful about the unrepentant horribleness going on.

The Wolf of Wall Street, The Guest, or Fallen (1998) would all be good examples.

If you haven't seen The Americanization of Emily definitely seek it out, although I don't know if that's streaming anywhere. I know Kiss Me, Stupid is on youtube & I'm pretty sure Daisies is as well. Idk if those two are perfect matches for what you're asking for since both kinda ditch the "unrepentant horribleness" but definitely embrace a totally cheerful/energetic cynicism.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
O & I just watched Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion which I think hits your mark too but not totally since I don't think it's particularly gleeful in its cynicism although it's certainly not particularly self-serious. That isn't on streaming too though so mark that up as another totally useless suggestion from globally beloved poster, "Hat Thoughts"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hat Thoughts posted:

O & I just watched Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion which I think hits your mark too but not totally since I don't think it's particularly gleeful in its cynicism & also another one that probably isn't on streaming so another totally useless suggestion from globally beloved poster, "Hat Thoughts"

That plot synopsis sounds amazing so thank you for pointing me to it even if it isn't what I asked for.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

I had never heard of Too Late before but I saw it on Netflix new releases and it's a crime noir starring John Hawkes so I had to watch it. It's pretty drat good, a 1 1/2 hour movie shot in 5 long-take single scenes (not all are true long-takes but they're made to look that way). There's some very interesting camera work and some of the dialogue is great and the rest sucks. It's quite Tarantino-esque, with long takes, irreverent conversation, a non-sequential storyline, and a well-done gritty feel. The first segment is by far the weakest because it's poorly scripted and the actors aren't as good as everyone else in the movie, and if you can make it through that the rest of the movie is much better.

Watch Too Late if you like John Hawkes, excellent camera work, Jeff Fahey, lady butts, Robert Forster, and crime noir in general

Don't watch Too Late if you detest movies that ape Tarantino's work too much or don't have the patience for a series of 15-20 minute long takes

If you are into single takes check out Victoria. It's a 2 hour movie shot in a single take with an amazing scope. Story issues aside I thought it was amazing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I got an email from Warner Archive saying that The Gathering is free to watch for everybody until the end of December. No registration required.

https://www.warnerarchive.com/watch...2016_registered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sabotage, Pain and Gain