Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

disjoe posted:

Reminder that the old Clone Wars cartoon is no longer canon (that loving cough).

I always read that scene as heavily implying that both Grievous and Anakin were famous and so they had heard of one another but never met.

e: Just to be clear I've never watched the show. All I know about it is Coughgate.

I liked the old Samurai Jack Wars cartoon. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I cannot be expected to remember boring unmemorable lines from a boring unmemorable movie with boring unmemorable characters.

I still know it's "No, I am your father." Almost everyone gets that wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The U.S.S. Enterprise is the ship that made the Kessel Run in 15 parsecs and its piloted by Ham Solo and Harry Potter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The U.S.S. Enterprise is the ship that made the Kessel Run in 15 parsecs and its piloted by Ham Solo and Harry Potter.

Uh hello? Hagrid is Hams co-pilot. Do you even watch Battlefield: Earth?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Ballz posted:

I liked the old Samurai Jack Wars cartoon. :shobon:

Oh I've heard really great things about it and should've watched it but I'm lazy and here we are.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

disjoe posted:

Oh I've heard really great things about it and should've watched it but I'm lazy and here we are.

You might find a used DVD copy at your local Movie Stop for a couple of bucks. First season was filled with fun little standalone mini adventures, while the second season had some great plot/character development that literally led right up to the opening scene of RotS.

Having seen that show actually improved my enjoyment of the movie back when I first saw it, so of course Lucas said "gently caress that" and threw it all out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ballz posted:

You might find a used DVD copy at your local Movie Stop for a couple of bucks. First season was filled with fun little standalone mini adventures, while the second season had some great plot/character development that literally led right up to the opening scene of RotS.

Having seen that show actually improved my enjoyment of the movie back when I first saw it, so of course Lucas said "gently caress that" and threw it all out.

Lucas had no involvement with deciding to throw it out. His stance with all of the expanded universe stuff was 'barely giving the slightest poo poo'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anakin did nothing wrong killing all these sand people.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think you can actually find the entire Samurai Jack Wars on YouTube.

No idea if that's considered promoting :filez: but whatever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gfarrell80 posted:

It's nice because the Imperials aren't clearly shown as techno-worshippers, even some of them in the Death Star boardroom scene are skeptical of the Death Star. They're just ordinary guys taking part in a technological military/bureaucratic machine, much like many of the nazis or people involved in our own military industrial complex, especially the pro-nuclear weapons usage folks during the height of the Cold War. But I could argue it is equally applicable to us today.

Galen Erso's line about 'if I didn't build this, someone else would have done it eventually' is something I've heard spoken - almost word-for-word - by actual people developing technologies for the US military, as a way to reconcile their work with their own political stances.

Of course, in real life, engineers don't hide secret destruct mechanisms in their designs. But the key to understanding Jyn's relationship to her father is to look past the plot-literal 'held hostage at gunpoint' stuff, and see Galen as merely such an engineer: one resigned to working within the system in the hopes of securing a future for his daughter.

Jyn's arc is all about reconciling her love of her father with the fact that he's certainly no revolutionary.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 24, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I read that ring theory essay and enjoyed it even if I didn't agree 100%. Does anyone know of any more thoughtful Star Wars essays like that?

Also I like the idea someone else here stated about how Rogue One was a story about how war/revolution affects the working class. I think it's very effective as a film in that regard. It reminded me of a thought I had recently about how the Jedi remind me of the higher ranked clergy in the Catholic Church a few hundred years ago. I'm not too familiar with the EU so I'm sure my speculations are totally wrong but it would make sense if Jedi coming from wealthy and powerful families tended to have higher positions in the Jedi hierarchy and had more power in the form of social and political capital. Even if this hypothetical well-bred Jedi didn't intentionally use their family's connections/reputation to advance their goals, people who wanted to curry favor with their family would give them preferential access at the very least.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Xibanya posted:

I read that ring theory essay and enjoyed it even if I didn't agree 100%. Does anyone know of any more thoughtful Star Wars essays like that?

Also I like the idea someone else here stated about how Rogue One was a story about how war/revolution affects the working class. I think it's very effective as a film in that regard. It reminded me of a thought I had recently about how the Jedi remind me of the higher ranked clergy in the Catholic Church a few hundred years ago. I'm not too familiar with the EU so I'm sure my speculations are totally wrong but it would make sense if Jedi coming from wealthy and powerful families tended to have higher positions in the Jedi hierarchy and had more power in the form of social and political capital. Even if this hypothetical well-bred Jedi didn't intentionally use their family's connections/reputation to advance their goals, people who wanted to curry favor with their family would give them preferential access at the very least.

The Jedi not being able to have families also meant that the order would keep everything. It's like the Cistercians all over again.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Well, I watched Rogue One and my rather banal and extremely nerdy take away is that the last act of this film really makes Princess Leia's protestations to Vader in ANH about being on a "consular ship on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan" a much more bald faced lie.

Also by the end of this film the references to a city named Jeddah, the repeated celebrations of morally ambiguous underdogs launching suicide attacks against a technologically superior foe, the imagery of flying machines purposefully being crashed into buildings and the odes to religious extremism were giving me flashbacks to the GBS 9/11-Star Wars photoshop mashup thread from a few years back.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xibanya posted:

I can't speak for the EU, but in the films at least one former Jedi was explicitly a nobleman who was able to resume his title after leaving the order.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

Well, I watched Rogue One and my rather banal and extremely nerdy take away is that the last act of this film really makes Princess Leia's protestations to Vader in ANH about being on a "consular ship on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan" a much more bald faced lie.

Also by the end of this film the references to a city named Jeddah, the repeated celebrations of morally ambiguous underdogs launching suicide attacks against a technologically superior foe, the imagery of flying machines purposefully being crashed into buildings and the odes to religious extremism were giving me flashbacks to the GBS 9/11-Star Wars photoshop mashup thread from a few years back.

There were some heavy 9/11 and Isis vibes. It's pretty stupid they made Saw Gurerra's forces such an Isis or Al-Qaeda pastiche, complete with desert garb, generic arabic-sounding language, mountain base, nearby holy city. Way too on the nose.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

Huzanko posted:

There were some heavy 9/11 and Isis vibes. It's pretty stupid they made Saw Gurerra's forces such an Isis or Al-Qaeda pastiche, complete with desert garb, generic arabic-sounding language, mountain base, nearby holy city. Way too on the nose.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah I get that really the Empire is America and the rebels are freedom fighters or whatever but they could've been more subtle.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Huzanko posted:

Yeah I get that really the Empire is America and the rebels are freedom fighters or whatever but they could've been more subtle.

The point is that real life is not subtle

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The only thing to be gained by elaborately obfuscating your ideological priors is the ability to claim you were satirically trolling to people who don't like it

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stfu about the obvious political themes. more importantly i just watched some of tfa and the editing in the action scenes sucks even though the choreography is good

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

The Arabesque rebels are specifically called extremists that cause problems for everyone else. Even with the understanding that nothing is truly apolitical, I doubt that the imagery is much more than an interesting aesthetic choice. Yes I know that Lucas loves the Vietcong or whatever.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Soggy Cereal posted:

The Arabesque rebels are specifically called extremists that cause problems for everyone else. Even with the understanding that nothing is truly apolitical, I doubt that the imagery is much more than an interesting aesthetic choice. Yes I know that Lucas loves the Vietcong or whatever.

You're supposing a frankly comical level of inneptitude on the part of the creators of the film.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 25, 2016

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
They chose a Clone Wars cartoon character who was an insurgent trained by the Jedi CIA to use MANPAD against flying Separatist gunships.

Saw's fighters are Mujahideen as gently caress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Soggy Cereal posted:

The Arabesque rebels are specifically called extremists that cause problems for everyone else.

Saw is explicitly not affiliated with the Rebels.

The Rebel Alliance To Restore The Republic is a minor antagonist in this film. Their group is depicted as wrong, and bad.

Saw serves as an Obiwan figure to the protagonist of the film. His death inspires her continue fighting on his behalf.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Rebel Alliance To Restore The Republic is a minor antagonist in this film. Their group is depicted as wrong, and bad.

Saw serves as an Obiwan figure to the protagonist of the film. His death inspires her continue fighting on his behalf.

Which group is The Rebel Alliance To Restore The Republic?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What do you make of the division in the Rebellion between Mon Mothma and Bail Organa's faction, which is prepared to commit to all out war, and the other Rebel leaders who wish to surrender?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want the next spin-off to be about Hondo and his band of pirates.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I want the next spin-off to be about Hondo and his band of pirates.

please no.

let it be maul or something

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wait, people don't like Hondo? He was the best original character to come out of Clone Wars.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I think my favorite part of Rogue One was when my dad gasped at the Peter Cushing ghola on the screen right there in front of us. And then on the way out of the movie when my sister says, "That was pretty cool how they got Leia in there at the end. The CGI was pretty good!" and didn't mention Tarkin at all. She never even questioned the veracity of that performance during the show, and only afterward did she kinda rationally wonder how that actor could possibly still be young enough to reprise that role, unless they got a real good lookalike, etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait, people don't like Hondo? He was the best original character to come out of Clone Wars.

Hondo is right up there with battle droid voices and Anakin love scenes when it comes to "poo poo that makes me want to quit these Star Wars".

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Detective No. 27 posted:

As someone who gives Rebels far more leniency than it perhaps deserves and thinks the episode quality generally ranges from "fine, but filler" to "very good," I dread every single moment that one-note idiot spends on screen

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Which group is The Rebel Alliance To Restore The Republic?

The one made up of all the familiar 'good guy' characters from previous films. Mothma, Organa, Leia, etc.

(Rogue One is a really good illustration of basically everything I've written about Star Wars in these threads, which is why I'm rather inclined towards it.)

Zoran posted:

What do you make of the division in the Rebellion between Mon Mothma and Bail Organa's faction, which is prepared to commit to all out war, and the other Rebel leaders who wish to surrender?

They are ideologically near-identical. The only difference is that the ones who call for the rebellion to disband are (kinda by definition) not rebels.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The next film should be about the evacuation of mon cala. It sounds badass but also goofy in a way that star wars wears well.

According to the rogue one guide book, All those cool mon cal cruisers were once underwater municipal buildings that were secretly starships. When the empire came to stomp out the mon cal, they just evacuated the loving planet in town halls and art galleries and hospitals.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hondo is right up there with battle droid voices and Anakin love scenes when it comes to "poo poo that makes me want to quit these Star Wars".

I mean it really is looking like some Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars. It's such an annoying catch phrase but it applies so well so much of the time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ShineDog posted:

The next film should be about the evacuation of mon cala. It sounds badass but also goofy in a way that star wars wears well.

According to the rogue one guide book, All those cool mon cal cruisers were once underwater municipal buildings that were secretly starships. When the empire came to stomp out the mon cal, they just evacuated the loving planet in town halls and art galleries and hospitals.

Yeah the old EU had them being non military cruise liners repurposed for war.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

It took me an appearance or two to warm up to him; I didn't like him at first. But after he shows up a couple more times I totally agree with this.

Also to connect the dots on a couple of observations people have already made, SMG pointed out that all of the characters are minor characters, and someone else noticed the only real uses of Williams' themes in the score are when the previously known (and "important") characters like Bail Organa and Darth Vader stroll onto the screen, like they're carrying the main episode movies around with them and invading the minor characters' show for a few moments. Nice touch.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It took me an appearance or two to warm up to him; I didn't like him at first. But after he shows up a couple more times I totally agree with this.

Hondo is an excellent character. He's the Jack Sparrow of Star Wars. I haven't seen his Rebels episodes, though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ANAKIN: I hate droids. They're coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere.

PADME: Roger roger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also I don't know about Anakin love scenes, but the battle droids are frequently almost as funny as Hondo, and their voices are pitch perfect. My seven-year-old niece does the thing where she talks into a fan to sound like, not just any robot, but specifically the battle droids.

• Locked thread