Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Big noobie that's been playing Map games for 3 months: oh my god (Italian finger kiss) belissimo...EUR is literally perfect. Stop right there, paradox, you've achieved perfection.

O_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I don't get it. Why would they give the Ottomans increased siege ability as their boost for that age? Why not, oh, increased vassal count so you can play a historical Ottomans with Transylvania and Tunis as client states (e: or a reduced opinion penalty for "other religion" so they can ally France)? The Ottomans in the 1500s got notably whooped or fought to an embarrassingly narrow victory at sieges they should have won easily, e.g. Rhodes, Malta, and Famagusta.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is Stellaris talk in here cool or no?

of course

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It is good. That's all I wanted to say.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I want to like stellaris

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the hoi4 dlc is going to save video games

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-achievements-patchlog.988330/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HoI4 also steals from Civ by taking the gay rear end Gandhi nuke meme

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hopefully some of the AI fixes they mention in the changelog also affect the players' front AI.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'm really curious how the hardness increase to motorized will play out. That's seems... interesting

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hardness has gone up the board in general it seems.

PleasingFungus posted:

Hopefully some of the AI fixes they mention in the changelog also affect the players' front AI.

I'm pretty sure player fronts and ai fronts use the same ai.

also lol:

quote:

- AI no longer ONLY saves all its nukes for punishing the enemy taking their own cities

edit: lol again

quote:

- Nukes are doing now the real damage to the units, by reducing the manpower and equipment, not just str/org bars!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I hope the DLC actually gets me into HOI4 because I like the idea of playing as British India but it was kinda boring when I tried in the base game.

I bought HOI 4 on release and had fun when I played it but it hasn't hooked me like other Paradox games. I have fun when I play it but I don't have any real strong desire to boot it up if I'm not playing so I've only got like 2 hours on it so far.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HoI 4 is sweet but it's definitely not as fun to sit and play for hours like CK2.

On the other hand, if you're me and play at speed 4 or 5 95% of the time, it only takes an hour or two to get from 1936 to winning the war

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hoi4 will be funner in time

or groogy will gently caress it to death

i believe this dlc is a step towards the former

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Hoi4 will be funner in time

or groogy will gently caress it to death

i believe this dlc is a step towards the former

As long as groogy remains subservient to podcat, who rules, it'll all work out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

man the commonwealth research bonuses are pretty good. indian raj (undestandably) kinda sucks at start but at least those mitigate a bit and i might become a loving juggernaut on the future when i go independent

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oh poo poo it's nazi vincent price

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
poo poo, looks like time to Reinstall HoI4

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im not quite sure i understand how the spearhead tool works

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It really sucks how they kneecapped india so i can never use their billion manpower

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I've been trying to get a successful eu4 game as Timurids without turning into the Mughal empire because I think the Tims have a really good color. I've made 3 attempts and here's the main issues I've found with them:
-Cant avoid coalition wars because I need to keep conquering territory to keep my country afloat
-Starts with a 1/1/1 ruler with a 1/1/1 heir
-I haven't been able to get a decent economy going
-Releasing Persia isn't a good strategy anymore because they are insanely disloyal and powerful
-30k Persian rebels every 5 years or so drains my manpower like crazy.

I think the correct starting play is to feed your starting vassal some Persian cores, then conquer Baluchistan & annex, then conquer Tabarestan and release them as a vassal after razing every province, then feed Tabarestan some more Persian cores, then work on conquering Indian minors starting with Delhi (with the appropriate mission).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Oh and another issue I've had is that 99% of your most hotly contested provinces (Persia) are mountain/highland where hordes get a -25% combat malus. gently caress off.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pewdiepie posted:

-Releasing Persia isn't a good strategy anymore because they are insanely disloyal and powerful
-30k Persian rebels every 5 years or so drains my manpower like crazy.
Try to stomach the Persian rebels and build up a valuable power base in India, so that you can release Persia without them being super powerful in relation to you maybe? Not sure if that is a viable strat; it's just the first idea that popped up in my head.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Try to stomach the Persian rebels and build up a valuable power base in India, so that you can release Persia without them being super powerful in relation to you maybe? Not sure if that is a viable strat; it's just the first idea that popped up in my head.

I just found that I can release Khorasan which is a sunni state that has a lot of Persian cores so that takes a lot of the stress off. Only problem is they make my borders ugly as all hell.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i am going to get auld alliance reversed by the end of the year

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The free DLC Swedish songs are epic as hell.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

oddium posted:

Good luck, Gamer.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have never done a fascist game in HOI4. Is it much different than going Communist?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

Good luck, Gamer.

thank you... "Tapadh leat"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's that time of year again folks, for me to buy tons of map game dlc for pennies on the dollar

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
g*d bless us, every one.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I had an idea for an Imp HoI4 mp game for later. Everyone run the lovely new commonwealth countries and we all ally to gently caress over and conquer england

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

journey of 10,000 miles...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheShitlordPlutonis posted:

I had an idea for an Imp HoI4 mp game for later. Everyone run the lovely new commonwealth countries and we all ally to gently caress over and conquer england

That would be fun/funny. Would you want to use the TFV DLC or no?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

That would be fun/funny. Would you want to use the TFV DLC or no?

TFV is what would make those fun so yeah

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Does HOI IV have the thing where only the host needs to have DLC for it to work?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheShitlordPlutonis posted:

TFV is what would make those fun so yeah

I didn't buy it, mostly because although I think the DLC looks great the price is a bit steep for me at the moment. Sounds like a load of fun so if you end up doing it an AAR would be cool to read.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

now that i have paris i can just focus on getting castile to eat france/getting france to release nations until they no longer exist and then release them as a vassal right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the vicky 2 patch that was on beta for a year finally went tru

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

Right-clicking a country on the map when no units are selected now opens diplomacy with that country.
AI Great Powers in Europe now care about crises on other continents.
Fixed a bug where forming nations could completely mess up diplomatic relations and satellites.
AI Great Powers in America now care about crises in the other American continent.
Effects of Machine Tools, Tractors, Nitroglycerin, Distribution Channels & Electricity inventions are now country wide instead of being spread through province event spam.
Election events are now country-wide, and occur less often (about twice per election).
Added Borderless Windowed mode.
Fixed map crash when you start Victoria 2 for the first time.
Will now show proper unit information if you hover over the unit icon.
Fixed units getting stuck if you embark them on ships.
Increased the cooldown between crises to 5 years.
AI no longer believes the Age of Sail ended in 1936.
AI will no longer delete closed factories while at war.
It is now possible for non-host players in multiplayer to see how the AI would respond to diplomatic offers.
Call Ally will now get a clear yes/no answer from allies, instead of random chance.
Right-clicking 'go to diplomacy' will no longer be interpeted by the game as a desperate desire to crash to desktop.
No longer possible to load an infinite amount of troops onto a single ship if they happen to board at the same time.
You now only get the bankruptcy notification/CB if the amount owed to you is a significant sum.
Can now set decisions to be ignored, ignored decisions will not light up the 'decision can be taken' icon in main interface.
'Sign the Geneva Convention' decision now has larger benefits and slower badboy decay as a downside instead of reducing max military spending.
'National Banking Act' decision is now actually worth taking.
has_national_minority and political_movement triggers now have the correct localisations.
Added split in half (shortcut 's') in unit view. This will split the selected unit into two as balanced units as it can, then select only the more powerful of the two.
Added World Wars, the next level after Great Wars. a GW can become a WW after mass politics (1905) is researched and the winning side gains 50% warscore. After this all wargoals have their cost cut to 30% allowing you to really dismantle stuff at the end of the game.
Fascist Siam now called Thailand
Removed factory output changes depending on difficulty level. Non standard difficulty levels should now be safe to play without risking economic issues.
A lot less wickedness will now be stamped out in the USA (moral crusader event now fires on country level and not every week).
Jacobins now make democracies of prussian constitutionalism.
Airplane-only armies no longer completely murder the strongest offensive armies when attacked. Discipline (org dmg reduction) is reduced a lot making them better mixed where they can support from the back line as they wont be able to hold provinces well. Also reduced defense a bit.
Crisis with attacker backer and no defender backer now resolves automatically in favor of attacker rather than fizzling.
Lone defender backer now gets some prestige for being gutsy and stepping up even if no attackers.
Added historical military leaders to many nations.
The Polar Bear Purchase will now turn all pops in iceland, greenland & jan mayen into polar bears.
Added some jaw-dropping polar bear artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

:eyepop: